Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will they ever implement features from SWG?

Or will bring Lucasarts SWG back and revamp it to SWG 2 ?

I´m really missing JTL space combat, housing, open world feel and day/night change in TOR.

TOR should have been a hybrid of SWG/TOR to really be great.. unfortunately it did not work out

Comments

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    No.  Much of SWG's engine was designed specifically for that particular game.
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Closest anything to sandbox we may ever find in TOR may be more hair styles added to a cash shop.

Yeah, I know, sad isn't it?

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    It's a bit of a stretch, butI guess you could call SWTOR's conversion to FTP it's NGE. So sure.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Misaris
    Or will bring Lucasarts SWG back and revamp it to SWG 2 ? I´m really missing JTL space combat, housing, open world feel and day/night change in TOR.TOR should have been a hybrid of SWG/TOR to really be great.. unfortunately it did not work out

It was never going to be, and never will.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

No, the two aren't even in the same type of genre- SWTOR is a themepark on rails, SWG is a sandbox with large worlds. People are even expecting player bounties in SWTOR, not gonna happen.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I don't think they have enough staff right now or even the proper game engine (gutted version of HeroEngine) to do anything like that... plus it wouldn't fit the game at all (think NGE).

Smedley must be having a good laugh right now though!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Maintenance mode is the best that SWTOR can hope for going forward.

There will be a bit of fluff for the F2P launch; some mew missions etc. that were started months ago being finished in some form but anything beyond that is unlikely. 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    never. Bioware is a stubborn group.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

SWG is dead, it will not return.

There will not be a SWG2.

SWToR will not get any SWG features on purpose.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This. TOR was never designed to be like SWG. I miss the PRE-NGE SWG too, but it's best to just face reality. It's never coming back. Ever. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Bardus

Closest anything to sandbox we may ever find in TOR may be more hair styles added to a cash shop.

Yeah, I know, sad isn't it?

It's quite amusing to me that LA's spite in closing down SWG - and, yes, it was an act of spite - has now backfired catastrophically in its own face since SWTOR has collpapsed far more quickly than SWG did. But,  agree, it would be impossible to buckle any elements of SWG onto SWTOR because the first game was incredibly rich, complex and open-ended and SWTOR was the diametric opposite. It would be like asking: 'You know what would make Super-Mario Karting better? The alchemy system from Skyrim'.

Originally posted by ktanner3

This. TOR was never designed to be like SWG. I miss the PRE-NGE SWG too, but it's best to just face reality. It's never coming back. Ever. 

It's defeatists like you that killed the game. Even bigwigs like Jon Smedley now admit the game was killed by 'incredibly poor decisions'. One day, some software company is going to get a cheap licence from LA to run 'that old tretro game, SWG' and then we'll be back in business. But, really, you'd hate that, wouldn't you?

And remember: there'll never be any more Futurama or Arrested Development or Coke Classic or VW Beetle or Sherlock Holmes... Oh wait, they ALL came back.

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    I would have to say no.  I do not think that the SWTOR version of the Hero engine would be able to handle an sandbox type play and all the old SWG items like 100 person PvP, crafting,  skills,races that made  SWG what it was.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by noncley

It's defeatists like you that killed the game.

Yes I know, it's always the player's fault for a game's failures. So sorry for not supporting a company that gave it's playerbase the big shaft. I voted with my wallet, as did many others. That was our right as consumers.

Even bigwigs like Jon Smedley now admit the game was killed by 'incredibly poor decisions'.

And it took the game shutting down for him to realize that, but okay...

One day, some software company is going to get a cheap licence from LA to run 'that old tretro game, SWG' and then we'll be back in business. But, really, you'd hate that, wouldn't you?

Why would I hate a game I like coming back? I just don't think it's going to happen. Sue me for being realistic.

And remember: there'll never be any more Futurama or Arrested Development or Coke Classic or VW Beetle or Sherlock Holmes... Oh wait, they ALL came back.

Coke Classic is not really the old coke forumal so sorry to burst your bubble. Sherlock Hoimes never died so I don't know where you're getting at . Don't really care about the rest and don't see how a few exceptions is relevant. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• LA specifically told Bioware they wanted a game much like SWTOR currently is.  BW's main sticking point was that they wanted to put in a lot of story.  LA asked for a SW game made to be like WoW from the ground up.

So in other words I highly doubt that they will reuse SWG features even of SWTOR goes down in flames LA won't want to untils some sandbox-ish make 100's and 100's of millions of dollars.  So while EvE may be successful and profitable they won't copy that.

In other words the next LA game will be them telling someone to copy GW2 a year from now.  That dev won't have the magic that Anet has and there will be another souless crash and burn.  That is released far too late to capitalize on whatever the dominanat mentality was when GW2 released and at a time when people are most likely getting tired of whatever it is they initially liked about GW2 but since LA is out of touch and and run by monkey's in suit (having nothing to do with Monkey Island) they won't even come clsoe to realizing this.

Yes I know, it's always the player's fault for a game's failures. So sorry for not supporting a company that gave it's playerbase the big shaft. I voted with my wallet, as did many others. That was our right as consumers.

Even bigwigs like Jon Smedley now admit the game was killed by 'incredibly poor decisions'.

One day, some software company is going to get a cheap licence from LA to run 'that old tretro game, SWG' and then we'll be back in business. But, really, you'd hate that, wouldn't you?

Why would I hate a game I like coming back? I just don't think it's going to happen. Sue me for being realistic.

Coke Classic is not really the old coke forumal so sorry to burst your bubble. Sherlock Hoimes never died so I don't know where you're getting at . Don't really care about the rest and don't see how a few exceptions is relevant. 

I am sorry, you're just going to have to get over it. SWTOR was an inferior game and failed quickly and decislvely - and its failure makes the return of SWG all the more likely.

[mod edit]

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I don't think they have enough staff right now or even the proper game engine (gutted version of HeroEngine) to do anything like that... plus it wouldn't fit the game at all (think NGE).

Smedley must be having a good laugh right now though!

I'd imagine Smed couldn't be more overjoyed.  I believe that after all of it is said and done, CU, NGE, and C6CD will not even be remembered in the comparables with how or the speed in which TOR crashed and burned.  EA and LA, by jacking up the contract IP rates for SWG, made their 1st mistake right there.  I've read many a post on the TOR forums (and here to be honest) of people saying they never played SWG but would of now due to their interest in Star Wars, TOR's failures, and the features discussed via old players.

I doubt even Smed would want anything more to do with LA so I really don't forsee a SWG or an SWG II making any come-backs.  However, SOE does own the engine (that SWG was built upon built via Koster et al), Smed already made a comment about "sandbox not being dead" at SWG's closure, and I'm sure even SOE has noted the interest in a SWG type sandbox comments all over the internet.  And Smedly is not 1 to walk away from money or hype.  We'll have to wait and see what SOE announces post launch of Planet Side II as I would expect that's the closest we'll hear of anything like this.

Maybe not SWG, but a updated version, re-skinned to SOE's own IP that they do not have to share profits upon.  I wouldn't put it past SOE to rub that in the face of EA and/or LA and to be honest, I wouldn't blame them, and I would probably buy the game and sub to it. 

Best advise that I an give SOE is........,  install T2 as the Producer and Hjal as Lead Developer.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Acornia
    I would have to say no.  I do not think that the SWTOR version of the Hero engine would be able to handle an sandbox type play and all the old SWG items like 100 person PvP, crafting,  skills,races that made  SWG what it was.
    Even in today's MMO's (remember, it's 2012), you will not see the scale of ~100 players in the same area as you did in SWG and PlanetSide 1 (I've been in ~300 player fights in PS1), I doubt PlanetSide 2 will even have that amount in a single area either:

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Misaris

Or will bring Lucasarts SWG back and revamp it to SWG 2 ?

I´m really missing JTL space combat, housing, open world feel and day/night change in TOR.

TOR should have been a hybrid of SWG/TOR to really be great.. unfortunately it did not work out

It wont happen, SWG dont have enough followers so if TOR will be revamped they will steal stuff from a game that do better, like GW2 if it becomes a success.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Highly doubt they will, other than eventually the December 2011 feature.
  • MuratReisMuratReis Member UncommonPosts: 73

To the bottom of my heart I want SWG Pre-CU now with the original graphics (plus a bit of lighting touch ups). This will never happen: for years Lucas has been all about making the most mainstream crap and then simplifying it to the lowest common denominator. SWG was a fluke and once Lucas Arts figured that out, they forced Sony to change it. All that we can hope for is that a game comes out that can capture the same spirit of SWG while not being Star Wars....All we have is hope.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by MuratReis

To the bottom of my heart I want SWG Pre-CU now with the original graphics (plus a bit of lighting touch ups). This will never happen: for years Lucas has been all about making the most mainstream crap and then simplifying it to the lowest common denominator. SWG was a fluke and once Lucas Arts figured that out, they forced Sony to change it. All that we can hope for is that a game comes out that can capture the same spirit of SWG while not being Star Wars....All we have is hope.

Click my sig, we're working on it as hard as we can. [mod edit]

I doubt we'll see much sandbox added to TOR. For one there is nowhere to add it. From the ground up they will have to design something new but the game is too far failing for that kind of investment now. Another reason may be EA and LA will rather run TOR in the dirt then admit by adding sandbox that the TOR model is unsubstainable.

• MuratReisMuratReis Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Bardus
    Originally posted by MuratReis

Click my sig, we're working on it as hard as we can. [mod edit]

I doubt we'll see much sandbox added to TOR. For one there is nowhere to add it. From the ground up they will have to design something new but the game is too far failing for that kind of investment now. Another reason may be EA and LA will rather run TOR in the dirt then admit by adding sandbox that the TOR model is unsubstainable.

I'm waiting patiently for the Repopulation. (I think you mentioned it before.) Perhaps when it comes out we can play together...

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I am sorry, you're just going to have to get over it. SWTOR was an inferior game and failed quickly and decislvely - and its failure makes the return of SWG all the more likely.

[mod edit]

And even considering SWTOR's failings, it still has more subs in its current condition than SWG had on its best day.  And yes, I did like pre-NGE SWG and had subbed for about 2 years before the NGE drove me away.  In all honesty though, I had one foot out the door when NGE launched.  It was the icing on the cake.

Whatever a person may think of SWTOR, there's no reason whatsoever for BW to consider making the game more like SWG.  A loyal 100-200k subscribers will not keep the game afloat.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    It's a bit of a stretch, butI guess you could call SWTOR's conversion to FTP it's NGE. So sure.

Why? F2P wont change anything ingame.