Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Received an email from CCP...

kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

"Come back, 90 days for $24.95."

That is a pretty good deal cost wise.  That would put me at the end of November, very close to the winter expansion.

Trouble is, I already know that I likely won't play the game.  It will be $25 for 90 days of skill training.  Sure, my 70m skill-point char could use 90 days in a number of categories.  But for what?  I have till September 2nd to decide if I'll make the jump.  I already know why I don't play the game when I'm subscribed - it's cause I don't have a good corp and haven't for years.  

So, jaded, crazy, mmorpg trolls:  Do I resub, look for a new corp and actually play?  Do I resub, say frack a new corp and just log-in to train?  Or, do I just save the $25 and continue checking this forum to watch bitter vets and trolls do what they do?

GL HF Fly Safe(or, to keep on topic, DIAF)

o7

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by kovah

That is a pretty good deal cost wise.  That would put me at the end of November, very close to the winter expansion.

Trouble is, I already know that I likely won't play the game.  It will be $25 for 90 days of skill training.  Sure, my 70m skill-point char could use 90 days in a number of categories.  But for what?  I have till September 2nd to decide if I'll make the jump.  I already know why I don't play the game when I'm subscribed - it's cause I don't have a good corp and haven't for years.  

So, jaded, crazy, mmorpg trolls:  Do I resub, look for a new corp and actually play?  Do I resub, say frack a new corp and just log-in to train?  Or, do I just save the $25 and continue checking this forum to watch bitter vets and trolls do what they do?

o7

I always felt EVE is an MMO where you find a Corp first before you decide to play it since solo stuff is really really bad.

However, EVE-Uni is really nice if you are looking for a group of chillax folks.

It ain't a bunch of 'newbs' either and last I checked, every corp/alliance that 'matters' likes EVE-Uni grads.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Well...

Originally posted by CCP

Hello *****Your 14-day free pass to rediscover the world’s greatest sandbox universe is here! EVE Online is blazing toward its tenth year with more players, more features and a deeper, richer gaming experience than ever before, and we want you along for the ride. Return Today For Free >>14 Free Days of EVE Online
    Offer expires September 9th, 2012

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I had an eMail yesterday offering a 14-day free return pass. Looks like CCP is also trying to get players away from GW2 ;-)
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Not a bad deal at all.  Let me check my email and hope I got it also.  Going to resub if I can.

BOOYAKA!

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

o7

If you're wanting to play EVE and the only thing that's stopping you is that you don't have a good corp, then the necessary first step is to subscribe (no corp will take you while you're unsubbed). Training skills for a game you're never going to actually play is a waste of your money.

So: decide!

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I had an eMail yesterday offering a 14-day free return pass. Looks like CCP is also trying to get players away from GW2 ;-)

So is GW2 going to "kill Eve" now?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

If you KNOW you won't be playing and only training then don't. If you have enough interest to play occasionally then $25 for 90 days is a decent deal. I know you aren't, but if you play a lot the it is a great deal. :)

Why didn't I get that email...

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I checked that my emails and no offer like that :P

Checked spam also, seems CCP is trolling ffs :D ?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    It seems that they are offering it if you go to your EVE account they just didn't send an email about it.
  • GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

I get what you mean, I am in the same situation. My corp collapsed out of emo rage and split up and it knocked the will to play out of me. Joining another corp is to much effort, I have to find a corp and thats not easy. I hate corp hoping and tend to find a good corp that fits and stay in it for at least 12-18 months. Even after finding a corp I have to move loads of ships, then my caps across god knows how many jumps to the new corp. Anyone who does that knows how draining that is, finding safe jump points and checking out and scouting each system and then lighting all those cynos.

Thats to much work for my level of motivation with EVE.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Reizla

So is GW2 going to "kill Eve" now?

Eve is desparate, right? lol

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    AGH I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR MONTHS! for them to give me some kind of an offer and now right when guildwars 2 is coming out they finally do it. Good job eve....I am not going to buy it since you waited to damn long you noobs.... I wish they gave me this offer like 3-4 months ago :(

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Well...

Originally posted by CCP

Hello *****

Your 14-day free pass to rediscover the world’s greatest sandbox universe is here! EVE Online is blazing toward its tenth year with more players, more features and a deeper, richer gaming experience than ever before, and we want you along for the ride.

Return Today For Free >>

14 Free Days of EVE Online

Dammit, I didn't get that one...  :/  Anyway, 14 days free wouldn't be enough to entice me anyway, maybe they know me?

Anyway, to address the other comments:  Yeah, if I'm going to spend $25 JUST to skill train than it isn't worth it.  I've been in a number of good corps over the many years, maybe I should hit-up some of those folks that I'm still in contact with (as a side note: the internet is awesome isn't it?)  See what they're up too these days.

Eve-U doesn't interest me.  I tried Red-v-Blue once and couldn't get into it.  I know I won't get into a corp until I'm subbed but research is free.  Maybe I'll go that route.  I've got a little over a week.

Originally posted by Garkan

I get what you mean, I am in the same situation. My corp collapsed out of emo rage and split up and it knocked the will to play out of me. Joining another corp is to much effort, I have to find a corp and thats not easy. I hate corp hoping and tend to find a good corp that fits and stay in it for at least 12-18 months. Even after finding a corp I have to move loads of ships, then my caps across god knows how many jumps to the new corp. Anyone who does that knows how draining that is, finding safe jump points and checking out and scouting each system and then lighting all those cynos.

Also, to address Mr. Garkan directly  This is kinda where I'm at.  My corp list on my main LOOKS like I'm some crazy hopper, but I'm not.  It's just that I've joined so many that sounded great and then I've instantly realized were BS and left.  And the hunt itself is lame cause of the above - you can't really know until you join.  And I can't do too deep of research on a corp without being subbed.

Argh.

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    It seems that they are offering it if you go to your EVE account they just didn't send an email about it.

This was an email sent to my main and to the one time that I had an alt account years ago.  The main on that account was sold for a few bil isk but there was a second char on that account so I tend to be spammed twice by CCP when they mass email these things (two seperate gmail addresses but both hit my main gmail, fyi)

<edit> triple post ftl but hey, I need mah starz....  :p

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Well...

Originally posted by CCP

Hello *****

Your 14-day free pass to rediscover the world’s greatest sandbox universe is here! EVE Online is blazing toward its tenth year with more players, more features and a deeper, richer gaming experience than ever before, and we want you along for the ride.

Return Today For Free >>

14 Free Days of EVE Online

Dammit, I didn't get that one...  :/  Anyway, 14 days free wouldn't be enough to entice me anyway, maybe they know me?

Anyway, to address the other comments:  Yeah, if I'm going to spend $25 JUST to skill train than it isn't worth it.  I've been in a number of good corps over the many years, maybe I should hit-up some of those folks that I'm still in contact with (as a side note: the internet is awesome isn't it?)  See what they're up too these days.

Eve-U doesn't interest me.  I tried Red-v-Blue once and couldn't get into it.  I know I won't get into a corp until I'm subbed but research is free.  Maybe I'll go that route.  I've got a little over a week.

I've been running incursions since I came back into EVE. Get almost sub-cap pvp style play and most of the groups that do it are not based on a or alliance. Not a horrible Idea to check out.

Originally posted by Garkan

Also, to address Mr. Garkan directly  This is kinda where I'm at.  My corp list on my main LOOKS like I'm some crazy hopper, but I'm not.  It's just that I've joined so many that sounded great and then I've instantly realized were BS and left.  And the hunt itself is lame cause of the above - you can't really know until you join.  And I can't do too deep of research on a corp without being subbed.

Argh.

It can be to much damn work to find a decent corp, thats why I cringe when people tell newbies to "find a corp" because its not so easy as that.

Currently playing:

Gravity Rush,

Company of Heroes II.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Sounds like you already know you won't play even if you resub. The best thing to do then would be to not resub.

If you absolutely have to be sure though, then download the free trial and play for a little bit on a new account. Fly around, shoot things, talk to people, do a couple crap missions. I bet within 2 or 3 hours of being back in the game, you'll realize you didn't want to be there at all and that will solve your conundrum. If you don't play, then skill points are meaningless. If you liked playing anyway, then being able to afford buying plexes with isk would be no problem at all for a 70m char, much less a 3m character that is a trader.

A couple of times in my mmo history, I thought I wanted to go back to some random mmorpg. 15 minutes into the game after dropping the $15 dollars to get in game, I realize it was a mistake. Had I followed my own idea of doing the trial on a new trial account, I would have realized it for free.

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by jpnz

o7

I always felt EVE is an MMO where you find a Corp first before you decide to play it since solo stuff is really really bad.

However, EVE-Uni is really nice if you are looking for a group of chillax folks.

It ain't a bunch of 'newbs' either and last I checked, every corp/alliance that 'matters' likes EVE-Uni grads.

How do you go about finding a good corp? I've tried Eve so many times and quit it's silly but it's because I'm stuck doing solo crap the entire time and it bores me out of my skull. Sounds like a corp would be a better way to play?

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    A corp is better if just for the ability to chat a bit on some mundane stuff. That said the easiest way to find a good corp is to just join a few. I usually suggest approaching corps and saying that you don't want any roles for the the first 2 weeks. This allows you to try out the atmosphere of the corp with out them worrying about you stealing stuff. Also helps if you leave before your 2 weeks are up then the next corp knows there is a good chance you were telling the truth when you said it wasn't a good fit.
    Originally posted by Onecrazyguy
    Originally posted by jpnz

o7

How do you go about finding a good corp? I've tried Eve so many times and quit it's silly but it's because I'm stuck doing solo crap the entire time and it bores me out of my skull. Sounds like a corp would be a better way to play?

Getting into a decent corp can be a pain but when you do its well worth the hassle, being in the right corp is when EVE really begins to shine. There are some basic things you need to decide before joining a corp like asking yourself "what do I want to do in game?" If its pvp you want you need to decide which type of pvp suits you and if its an industrial corp what can you offer them and what do expect in return. If you are not sure a general corp that mixes it up a bit can be a good choice.

The most important thing to remember about a corp is no matter what the corp does the first thing a corp (and by extension alliances) is before anything else is a social group. You will want to find a social group and corp culture that you blend with, you wouldnt hang around IRL with a social group that doesnt suit you and its the same with a corp. With the right people you will get along with everyone (or most people) naturally and easily, just the same way social groups form organically IRL.

One way I find corps is just to hang around in the differant corps public channels, after getting to know them if the guys are willing I will join a small OP like a roam or something. Anal corps will not allow things like that, so I know they are anal and know not to join. If they are they are the type of people to set a trap for a potential recruit I find that out to. If I join OPs then I know how they fly, if they have shitty coms in the middle of fights and things like that.

Currently playing:

Gravity Rush,

Company of Heroes II.

• jackocompjackocomp Member UncommonPosts: 50

CCP are probably trying to stop the number of subscribers from dropping like it has been doing for the last 12+ months, as where there used to be 30k of people logging on every day it has now dropped to 19-22k at most times with it spiking up to 30+k sometimes of a weekend.

Thats a pretty good deal though by the sounds of it cause unless it's recently changed 90 days would or should cost considerably more than $25 or whatever.

I don't think I will be resubbing when my one runs out in just under 12 months unless this next expansion & CCP pull a rabbit out of a hat. The game has become boring as hell with certain Alliances cheating in many ways & no real new content that is useful for anyone that has been playing for more than a week.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by jackocomp

CCP are probably trying to stop the number of subscribers from dropping like it has been doing for the last 12+ months, as where there used to be 30k of people logging on every day it has now dropped to 19-22k at most times with it spiking up to 30+k sometimes of a weekend.

Can you link to where you're getting your data from? The reason I ask is because it doesn't match the historical data that's currently out there.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by jackocomp

Can you link to where you're getting your data from? The reason I ask is because it doesn't match the historical data that's currently out there.

Don't inject facts into another "Eve is dying" rant.  You take the fun right out of it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I would say to come back and try and join one of the corps currently allied with NC. if you're interested in putting that 70m SP guy to some work in war.

Goonies and NC. are in a war currently and there's some good fights happening in null.