Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worried about Mesmer DPS in PvP? Don't be.

gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfA_o-hjmno&feature=youtu.be

Lots of ways to build a Mesmer, but while I prefer condition damage, that's more a personal preference. People seem to underestimate the spike damage potential of a Mesmer, though. The above video is someone duking it out in a tourney as  Mesmer, bursting for 4-6k + ticks of 500+ from clones, all while taking very little damage himself.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

In the tests I was very worried about playing a mesmer all around simply because it just wasn't particularly fun, nor could I get a good enough build down for PvP....   

Now though, I'm rolling a mesmer as my main...  it turns out that its really not that hard to get a good DPS and survival build with a mesmer, and conditions and crits seem to be the way to go if you want to put out high DPS simply due to the amount of damage your phantasms can put out on top of everything else.   Just about every weapon combination is viable in that sense.  

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Staff mesmer fan here.  20-30-20  Dueling-Chaos-Illusions.  Used sword/pistol as secondary.  Was just dominating in spvp.  Very hard to kill, conditions were devastating and helped team with boons.  There is much more to pvp in GW2 than burst DPS. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Problem is that mesmers do good damage in pvp right now because people still dont know all the classes. But once you know how mesmer works its quite easy to totally avoid their burst damage.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Problem is that mesmers do good damage in pvp right now because people still dont know all the classes. But once you know how mesmer works its quite easy to totally avoid their burst damage.

I would imagine most mesmers right now are using condition specs, which isn't really burst at all.  Mesmers are great for survivability and DoT, if spec'd properly.  Its not hard to hit and run as a mesmer.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    this mesmer in the video is clearly using some burst skills. how is he hitting 3k crit with phantasmal berserker skill?

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)