Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Is Monk Just the New Druid?

13»

Comments

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    After doing 1-85 twice and 1-80 4 times no way I would do it agian. Only way I would go back and start at level 1 is if the panda leveling was all new from 1-90.
  • latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Creslin321

It really annoys me that modern MMO's have created this mentality of...

"I don't want to have to level a new character to catch up."

It makes no sense to me that games are designed with this mentality in mind.  Because when you think about it, the content that you experience while leveling is probably like 95% of the game.  Endgame stuff is normally just a few raids and maybe heroic dungeons or whatever...in either case it involves repeating content over...and over...and over.  But the leveling content...that's the actual world!  And MMO worlds are usually huge.

So this is so stupid to me...why do people view the vast majority of the game content as just a "grind" to get to that 5% end-game where they can repeat the same raids and dungeons over...and over...?

I think the answer lies in the fact that the game will not let you do end-game stuff until you are max level...which basically separates you from your friends.  If you make a new character, you really can't play with your max level friends until you are max level.  So you just view the largest portion of game content (leveling) as a "grind" because it's standing in the way of you, and what you really want to do, which is play with your buddies.

I really hope that newer games knock these ridiculous barriers between players down.  If I want to make a new character, I should be able to play with my buddies from day 1.

Well, what you're discribing sounds just like a tiny unknown game that is launching on August 28th, the whole game is endgame not just 5% of it and yes you can play with your max level buddies from day one.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    to be fair, the druid is a lot more versatile then a monk, thats why they are actually getting 4 talent specs now instead of 3, that being said there playstyle or "mechanics" are also completely different the healing differences between the 2 are huge to begin with... they are actually very very different right down to the class mechanics, so replacement no.. but a new fun class for anyone still playing WoW definitely
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Ya know I could understand if WoW was a really grueling experience to level up in like EQ but it isn't . We never had a class that started at level 55 , every mmo I have played you started at level one , and if everyone started at level cap then the newbie areas dungeons ect would be dead and end game in WOW while it's there won't last long if everyone was there at the same time, and it would get old fast. To the poster way up there lol any guild that tells you , you have to be level 90 in a week shouldn't be a guild in the first place and shouldn't play mmorpgs those are people with no jobs and can sit on their asses all day long playing video games barking orders while the rest of us carry these waste of space through society . I would tell them to screw off and join another guild with similar goals that you have. Bottom line: don't rush because one of these idiots tell you too , mmorpgs are about the experience and journey to level cap, these people only care about being leet , they don't last long in eq they get owned by the community because of their attitudes.
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Seriously? Crying about L1 start up when leveling in WoW is so trivially easy? Especially for those with advanced characters that can twink down money and gear?

People just seem to have no spines these days. No desire to experience anything.  Travel, teleports, taxi's (rent a mounts), ships that go everywhere fast. Gimme, gimme, gimme... 

I have to agree though with part of the L1 arguement. Experience the low level Cata content? With no need to travel due to the Dungeon Finder, a person can just stand in town near a Broker and Mailbox and level from 15-90 and never take a step outside town... Just how is that experiencing the content Blizzard?

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay

Seriously? Crying about L1 start up when leveling in WoW is so trivially easy? Especially for those with advanced characters that can twink down money and gear?

People just seem to have no spines these days. No desire to experience anything.  Travel, teleports, taxi's (rent a mounts), ships that go everywhere fast. Gimme, gimme, gimme... 

I have to agree though with part of the L1 arguement. Experience the low level Cata content? With no need to travel due to the Dungeon Finder, a person can just stand in town near a Broker and Mailbox and level from 15-90 and never take a step outside town... Just how is that experiencing the content Blizzard?

The philosophy of Cataclysm was just plain weird for me; why bother revamping the old stuff to make the leveling more interesting if it's so trivial that people pretty much just blitz straight through it and go straight for raiding?

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by Revnik

Kung Fu Panda - 2008

First Official Appearance of Pandaren - 2003 (Warcraft III: Frozen Throne)

I'm sick of the Kung Fu Panda nonsense. Pandaren have been around longer. Plus, there is nothing kiddie about them. They love to get drunk. 

If we are going to complain about Kung Fu Pandas, we should complain about Orcs and Humans. They have been used in other places too, except Blizzard used someone else's idea for them. Pandaren were actually Samwise Didier's creation, not Hollywood's.

Pandas in wc3 wern't monks and couldn't be monks 

Also yes I think it was dumbed down in Cata I used to roll a pally/Shockadin which doesn't exist anymore. To me I lost intrest then.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    If there are really any similarities I will simply ignore them and enjoy expansion pack. :-)
  • Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    If you're going to skip the levelling process and not actually learn the character, then why not have a pre-generated character at max level instead of starting at lvl60 or lvl70.

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Yeah, pandas existed in WoW before the movie came out. However, they weren't fat, they weren't associated with cooking and they didn't have an ability called bounce or bouncey or whatever it is. 

Yes they were first, yes they also ripped off Kung Fu Panda. Funny how you can do those two things at once.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Kung Fu Panda - 2008

I'm sick of the Kung Fu Panda nonsense. Pandaren have been around longer. Plus, there is nothing kiddie about them. They love to get drunk. 

If we are going to complain about Kung Fu Pandas, we should complain about Orcs and Humans. They have been used in other places too, except Blizzard used someone else's idea for them. Pandaren were actually Samwise Didier's creation, not Hollywood's.

They appeared A LOT earlier in the Warcraft roleplaying game. So 2003 was just the first appearance on a computer....but the Pandaren Lore has been around WAY before that.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Weretigar

Kung Fu Panda - 2008

Also yes I think it was dumbed down in Cata I used to roll a pally/Shockadin which doesn't exist anymore. To me I lost intrest then.

It's also important to point out that pandaren in warcraft 3 were barely in the game at all. No, that race has been fleshed out much later by Blizzard, so it is in fact right to state that the Panda Monk race/class bares a striking resemblance to Kung Fu Panda.

• ravenmystravenmyst Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by Weretigar

Kung Fu Panda - 2008

It's also important to point out that pandaren in warcraft 3 were barely in the game at all. No, that race has been fleshed out much later by Blizzard, so it is in fact right to state that the Panda Monk race/class bares a striking resemblance to Kung Fu Panda.

It's important to make sure you got your facts straight.  Yes, Pandaren didn't have alot of facetime in Warcraft 3 but, they were very fleshed out lore and class wise LONG before Kung Fu Panda came along.  If anything I would say it was Kung Fu Panda that looked at the Pandaren and based their movie off of them.

Space available for rent.