Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay To Live

TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

That's right... this game has cash shop items that increase the chance you have to keep your character after they die.

When you die you become a ghost. At that time you can buy things from the cash shop before using the resurrection stone to improve the chances of your character surviving.

It's right here: http://youtu.be/Rgn8Xa-uT7o?t=1m35s

Personally, I won't be going anywhere near this game.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Vannor

That's right... this game has cash shop items that increase the chance you have to keep your character after they die.

When you die you become a ghost. At that time you can buy things from the cash shop before using the resurrection stone to improve the chances of your character surviving.

It's right here: http://youtu.be/Rgn8Xa-uT7o?t=1m35s

Personally, I won't be going anywhere near this game.

I don't know what is sadder, that this is in the game, or that you pay for only a chance of surviving.  Otherwise you could end up paying for..absolutely nothing, just donating money.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Eh, if you ask me, it is but one of problem this game have...

Making the (another) franchise into MMO, 'Anime-izing' it (cant find a better word), putting the 'perma-death' into themepark mechanic...

Can i just have "Crusaders of the Dark Savant" or "Wizardry 8" with updated graphic? I may be one of the few that would play it, but still...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

When you can't make players pay monthly... 

When your cash shop doesn't generate enough revenue... 

Resort to extortion! Play Wizardry Online and if you pay us we MAY let you live!

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by dzoni87

Making the (another) franchise into MMO, 'Anime-izing' it (cant find a better word), putting the 'perma-death' into themepark mechanic...

Can i just have "Crusaders of the Dark Savant" or "Wizardry 8" with updated graphic? I may be one of the few that would play it, but still...

Well until a US developer can make something that isn't a cookie cutter clone of WoW then you will have to deal with the Eastern Artstyle.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

Too Asian for my taste. Also that’s one of the worst gameplay options ever. Forcing people to use cash shops is unacceptable.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• TavvraTavvra 2029 CorrespondentMember Posts: 112
    Cash shop doesn't bother me one bit. Otherwise my disposible income is gonna go to hookers and blow.

"Yea, I've been drinking again.."

• xlexxlex Member Posts: 1
    I was going to play until I read Pay 2 Win, or in this case pay to not perma die.

Why do most devs lack the creativity to have a game that is fun enough for people to give them money but not on a p2w model......

dot dot dot

im pretty pissed
  • ZhalikaZhalika Member Posts: 2

Figure if the game allows me to pay less than $15.00 a month it's the same as a subscription mmo

Permadeath is a bonus... play smart - don't die = sounds like a real video game that punishes bad play

Diablo games have permadeath options

Everquest 1 originally had an option where you could lose your corpse permanently

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Zalika

Figure if the game allows me to pay less than $15.00 a month it's the same as a subscription mmo

Permadeath is a bonus... play smart - don't die = sounds like a real video game that punishes bad play

Everquest 1 originally had an option where you could lose your corpse permanently

This is insane and truly P2W.

In many games which give you a choice for permadeath the REWARDS are increased while playing with that RISK. OR the game is made with a permmadeath mechanic. (personally I enjoy Permadeath) 

An online game which is First person Blobber (like WIZARDRY) would be " Demise" which also has permadeath/aging etc... But its FAIR and across the board.

This is Paying to Live (as the title states) and is Epic decline. =(

If there was a choice (i.e. Permadeath Mode with greater XP gain/better drops or Regular mode with standard XP/Drops) I would be fine with it. If there was no choice (i.e. Permadeath for everyone) I would be fine with it- But this???? (i.e. Permadeath unless you PAY $$$)- No way. 

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by dzoni87

You may get Wizardry 7.5.

Game called Grimore by one of the Wizardry Devs (real Wizardry before the japenese bought it) has been in develpment for like 879 years- And is loooking EPIC. I recently played a Demo version from YEARS ago and it blew my mind.

Anyhow, its going to be heading to kickstart (hopefully) to get the funds to finish it. And its EPIC in scope (over 600 hours) and larger than the previous Wizardry games combined.

Now (heres where it gets interesting) the Dev (Cleve Blakemore) is an egotistical, paranoid and slightly insane asshole who lives in an underground bunker in the Outback (really...) but as much as I find joy laughingat Mr. Blakemores adventuresd (blogs abound- look some of it up) the guy can make FUCKING GAMES. One of the best programers ever (again...really) but he is so insane that he stopped making games and has worked on this for 800 years partly to best the Devs of Wizardry 8 who personally pissed him off (I think he worked on 8 as well)

-So, game is like 95% done. And its going to be EPIC if released. Fuck this new fangled "wizardry". =P

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-kickstarter.75724/

http://www.youtube.com/user/TexasArcane/videos?view=0

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Thanks for the heads up on that guy. I have been watching the thread for the past few weeks and it's great. I guess he couldn't do Kickstarter because of some payment issues in Aus so he is using IndieGogo. Should be interestting. I will give him a few bucks just on the entertainment of seeing him fight with the players on that threead.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        For those of us that really liked this franchise, this MMO is probably going to be hard to take......Wizardry 7 and 8 were so good, but this looks like it is going to be a joke.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Honestly I also had the massive kneejerk reaction to the anime shit, but then again the series has been in japanese hands since Wizardry 8.

One could say that the franchise was "saved" by transplanting it to japan, where its more than just alive and stable in comparison to the west where nobody gave a shit about the IP until the japanese bought it, then everyone went into full retard mode.

"HOW DARE THEY ANIMEFY THE GOOD OLD WIZARDRY!!?!?!?

What? Am I interested in the IP? Fuck no, I just heard about it from friends."

I am also not bothered by the cash-shop offering items that migh prevent you from dying.

Yes its permadeath, but remember, boys and girls, that permadeath can actually be a very fun mechanic and is a staple of roguelike games.

I, personally, will avoid any such items just to keep the authentic feel of the game. Dying is so much more fun than having some kind of time-waste respawn mechanic (aka Dark Souls).

Once you accept that death in the game is part of the fun, you start playing a more interesting game, you open yourself up to experimentation. 

If I was bothered by the fact I might die every time I fire up FTL or Dungeons Of Dredmoor, I would probably stop having fun, but I don't.

Sometimes you have to say GG, pay your respects to your character and admire his corpse on the ground.

If you want to dish out cash for those items, be my guest, it doesn't influence my experience one bit. I will see you as a loser and wimp for not playing the game how it is intended to be played.

PS: afaik, I remember the developers in an old interview saying that cash-shop items that help survival are not the only ways to "cheat" permadeath. I remember talks about some kind of item-sacrifice mechanic that would give you %-chance to not die permanently (i.e. the more higher quality items you sacrifice from your inventory the higher the chances are)

Its just that the store-item will give you a 99% chance of survival (the value at which the mechanic naturally caps).

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Ok so I found one writeup that mentions a few specifics about the death-mechanic.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/c/2011-11-22/a_complete_review_of_wizardry_online_i_1.shtml

"In the game, you will become a soul after death. Your corpse will stay where you die, but you can move your soul to reviving places, like Guardian Statue or temples in the city. If only your soul reaches a reviving place, the success rate of your rebirth will be shown on the Soul Balance, resurrect your character at that time. Your character will have full HP after reviving safely, but will turn into Dust once revival fails. However, you can still resurrect your character even though it is in the Dust state, but if you can't do it successfully either, your character will get into the LOST state and can never come to life again. Furthermore, your character’s items will disappear forever."

So you get two chances at revival and the above screenshot shows you the soul balance mechanic where you sacrifice (i guess your accumulated souls) to gain a better chance at revival.

Imho looks like a refined and interesting system.

Interesting to note is that the soul-level (?) is shared by all your characters.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

The took the single most unique and interesting thing about this game and ruined it with cash shop and a gambling mechanic that asian mmmos seems to love.

Passing on this one, but would have played if dying was rare and it meant dying.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    They always find news ways to tax these days. 
  • MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
    God save Might and Magic if sometime become mmo

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Most people are going to be dissapointed when they see this game:

1. Permadeath is possible, but really easy to avoid. In game items (and gold) can be used to make the chance of permadeath 0%. You can also play conservatively to make this less of a problem (the faster you die/rez, the more likely of permadeath).

2. Open world PvP is available, but not really practical. Once flagged, you are KOS on sight by the NPC's. This is one of the few ways that you can get enough rapid deaths to make permadeath a real result.

3. Solo play just isnt practical. You need to form groups and work together to do the mini-raid style dungeons.  There are some open areas, but the good stuff is group only.

4. Sandbox gameplay is available, but very limited. The game plays in a hub/spoke style, with open zones gated by content/actions. It plays very much like a themepark, with gated content.

I think that this is a fun, and innovative game... and that most of the posts I see about this game are just ininformed hate spam. I expect this to draw a solid following, but also to generate a lot of 'this game sucks' posts, as the game is not what people feel it should be.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

alot of the SOE p2w mechanics only work when your not subscribed.

chances are if you have the subscription pass for all their games you will have that by default, or will have enough station cash to put toward it without any additional charges.

Free to play has strings

silver membership has less strings

gold membership (sub) has few if any strings attached.

From what ive seen, almost all cash shop related things other than cosmetic are bypassed with the station pass, which is 15 bucks a month for all their games.

• DragFireDragFire Member Posts: 16
    You can pay to rez with 100% probability with ingame items or money (no cash shop). If you are a reckless guy and dies over and over you should need cash shop for 100% probability to resurrect safely, but there are other ways without paying with real money. The game seems very interesting, something new. We should wait until launch to see how well the mechanics are fitted.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

WOW, people love to jump on the Bandwagon, well guess what your all wrong you do not have to pay if you die and to live longer, not for the US based one, and I know for a fact.....

There is not pay to win, so stop trolling and saying bad info about every darn game on this forum, so tired of wannabe gamers talking shit about games that dislike...... If you don't like it move on, but for those listening you will lose out on a great game so far, and I hate anything that looks a bit Asian, which it does, but the combat is great, story, everything is fun so far, and I'm picky about games I play....

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

You people forgot to read one important word in their ad on the front page...

"Thirty years in the making, Wizardry Online is a Free to Play, hardcore fantasy MMORPG."

See the word "hardcore"?  Good...Move along please. No need to complain whatsoever, just don't buy it.

Bye now. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Zhalika

lets say you are playing smart, and while questing you find 5 enemy players and they slaughter you for fun. There is no way to make a smart move there. Nobody is complaining about permadeath, the problem are the horrible developers who force you to pay money for a slight chance to revive your character. Being game developers dont turn thieves into serious business men... these guys are plain thieves to their playerbase and this game should be forcefully shot down until they learn to do business.

Unacceptable

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Zhalika

lets say you are playing smart, and while questing you find 5 enemy players and they slaughter you for fun. There is no way to make a smart move there. Nobody is complaining about permadeath, the problem are the horrible developers who force you to pay money for a slight chance to revive your character. Being game developers dont turn thieves into serious business men... these guys are plain thieves to their playerbase and this game should be forcefully shot down until they learn to do business.

Unacceptable

it's not ONLY pay to live... you get 2 shots to revive when you die which from the sounds of it as long as you have equipment on you should have no problem reviving most of the time.. seems the pay part just gives a 100% chance instead of like 95% for sacrificing a nice piece of gear.. not hardly as bad as people are making it seem

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg