Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Bringing Back the Classic

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During Gamescom, we took advantage of the opportunity to catch up with Sony Online Entertainment and Gamepot to check out what's new with Wizardry Online. See what we discovered in our exclusive preview!

Yes, folks. Perma-death is a thing here. If you fail at resurrecting your character, you will have to re-roll a new one. You will lose the equipment that you failed to store. You will, unless you have a major masochistic streak, curse and swear and revile the circumstances that led to your unfortunate demise.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Wizardry Online: Bringing Back the Classic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359

Pass.

Lost me at perma-death. I don't play anything with that.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Margrave

Pass.

Heh, lost me at SoE ;)

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Oh, look another Classic RPG franchize turned into MMO...

God forbid someone make Wizardry IX or Might and Magic X. Oh well, at least we got Fallout still... for now...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I've been watching this game for awhile, can't wait to give it a try.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    [mod edit]

I lol'd.. to each their own I suppose.. I'm looking forward to it..

Edit: Kinda reminds me of another game I am looking forward to called Dark Souls.. Supposed to be a very challenging game as well and coming to the PC soon..

• SharpKrisSharpKris Member Posts: 17
    the ultimate adrenaline pump is perma death and all the more if other players can do it to each other. count me as a follower
  • SharpKrisSharpKris Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Vyeth
    Originally posted by illmaculate
    [mod edit]

Edit: Kinda reminds me of another game I am looking forward to called Dark Souls.. Supposed to be a very challenging game as well and coming to the PC soon..

its suposed to be really good and even better if you play online as players can come into your game and help you (or have fun helping your enemies)

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I love my permadeath games that I play now, and can't wait to give this one a try.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Pass.

Agreed.

I dont mind it if there is no long term progression and gear didnt matter.  I actually like perma-death in a DayZ context but i na typical progression based MMO "HELL NO".  Perma Death is stupid.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Pass.

Agreed.

I dont mind it if there is no long term progression and gear didnt matter.  I actually like perma-death in a DayZ context but i na typical progression based MMO "HELL NO".  Perma Death is stupid.

IMO the trade-off in this one is great.

its the old good risk-and-reward - you want to use some better items you found instead of leaving them in warehouse? Be prepared to lose them on death.  Of course you can put them into your stash and they will be safe for your next character, but you most likely will be weaker. 

I like it, it adds tangibility to death. death is no longer something that is "meh oh well". Death is something you fear. and it adds upon the game's atmosphere as with the prospect that you might TRULY die, the tension in dungeons increases and the monsters seem a whole lot more threatening. 

its no longer a min-maxing of economics-obsessed guy. Its now about survival :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Let me guess, male only dwarves and female only school girls(pixies) in revealing dresses with sexy / cutesy voice overs.....shudders.  On top of that monstrosity is the typical anime style despite the series never having one iota of anime in it.  Where are the specialized classes like the Bishop, Alchemist, Samurai, Ninja, Psionicist and Lord.  Where are the fun races like the Dracon, Felpurr, Rawulf, Mook and real Faeries(not those wingless La La freaks)?  This game doesn't seem to truly reflect the series at all other than its title and it surely wasn't about perma death either.

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126

That's how it was in the original, folks. If your character died you only had so many chances to rez him. Good times playing this on my Apple II+ (and now I've just dated myself). Still remember seeing that dreaded "oops!" if the first attempt at a rez failed. If you lucked out on the second try, you'd get "Excelsior" on your screen. Blow the 2nd attempt and...dun Dun DUN!

"Ashes"   O_O

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    My interest has been peaked...
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    It will be a niche game, never gonna get a huge audience with perma death sorry.....

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Perma-death will kill this game in the west.  You just can't do that with the state of the internet as it sits today.  Just playing today, died twice because of internet laspes Silly idea from ignorant developers.

Anime and gender locking does not help this game either.  Probably do ok in the east though.

• DrakenZADrakenZA Member UncommonPosts: 7

Pass.

Thats being part of the problem. Down with noobfriendly casual games !

• LoganKonlanLoganKonlan Member Posts: 28

Lost me at anime.

As a member of the mid 40's crowd, I played alll of the Wizardy series - anticipating  the next release just as we savor the upcoming GW2 release.  It's amazing how I've been doing this for over 20 years.

My favorite Wizardry release was, "Bane of the Cosmic Forge" and I can assure you that anime was NO part of it!

Yuck and buh-bye.

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Huge Wizardry fan here!  Played them ALL.   I want in!   Can not wait to see more about this one.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

WOOOOOOT i cant wait for this game ...i hope it comes to north america sooon

Perma death just means DONT FUCKING DIE !! ahahah...PLAY SMART dont be a retard

[mod edit]

hope this game comes out sooooon

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    I will follow tgis game  for sure. Nothing better than fear to lose in a game:)
  • GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I've been looking forward to an english release of this game for ages, can't wait to test it out.  perma death ain't for everyone but for me it makes it more exciting
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by SharpKris
    Originally posted by Vyeth
    Originally posted by illmaculate
    [mod edit]

its suposed to be really good and even better if you play online as players can come into your game and help you (or have fun helping your enemies)

They're good games, and brutal, but there's no Perma-death. That's why I liked it. You had to go back and retrieve your souls and suffered major death sickness after dying (which will happen a lot until you get to the higher levels) but you rarely if ever lose anything permanently. Wizardry works a bit diff, and I'm curious about whether it can succeed in the west or not. Should be an interesting little experiment.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• knightprodigknightprodig Member CommonPosts: 14
    Cant stand anything SOE.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Perma death seriously puts me off, but I'll give it a go. Absolutely everything else in the game needs to be 'perfect'... and I mean PERFECT... otherwise it won't be enough to hold me or hardly anyone else with permadeath lurking around every corner.

If it isn't perfect, expect the game itself to permadeath..

I hope you have a non perma death version ready for launch just in case SOE. Chances are you are going to need it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

This video for it shows that cash shop items can be used to increase the chances of resurrecting your character (1:40):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rgn8Xa-uT7o

...terrible move.

Pretty sure that's the new definition of PTW. Pay.. or permadeath.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.