Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sooo after GW2, whats the next big hype train? I can't see anything.

Comments

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Not sure about general hype levels, but for me the titles I'm curious about are: 

PlanetSide 2, Neverwinter Nights, World of Darkness, whatever will come from Streets of Decay (because Jeff Strain) ...

other than nothing that was announced so far really peaks my interest. Waiting for some cyberpunkish MMO to come out eventually because apart Neocron there wasn't really whole lot done with that genre and it seems the industry is picking it up again (DE:HR, CDProjekt's CP2020, and that recently announced game I forgot the title of with female protagonist)

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Archage and Wildstar ... though they won't be nearly as hyped I don't think. Most likely they will be more trolled than hyped.

GW2 has 8 years of GW fans and a year or so of very good beta testing hyping it ... and SWTOR was, well .. Star Wars .. so yea ..

The next BIG hype train will be TESO or the Game of Thrones MMO. And the next big marketing spin will be that Web Based MMOs are the way of the future.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• crimsoncoinscrimsoncoins Member Posts: 5
    i think everquest next will be a big game if there was more info out on it. i read at the end of the year there will be more info out for it. i played eq1 and eq2 and lliked both of those. but right now i bought GW2 the only thing i dont like about GW2 is that there no raiding .
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Probably Planetside 2

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Most likely TESO or Archeage, which ever one comes first.

BTW, why is there not poll for this?

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Drac:
    Swtor looked like wow in space with a story gimmick from day 1

TESO devs have said there's no agro mechanic in the game, dungeons and their mechanics will probably play like gw1

To be fair, for the first 6 months or so after SWTOR was announced, it did not look that way.  In fact, there were Dev comments about how the combat was going to be different.  I grant that well before release it was clear it was going to be WoW in space with story tossed in between quests -- and that means the story is a small fraction of the game.  So I didn't buy it.

So I'm remaining skeptical of TESO.  I'm not sure what sort of PvP system it has either, which matters to me (I don't like open world PvP).  And I'm not a fan of cutting up the world into a bunch of phases like they've talked about.  Part of my skepticism is they seem to talk a lot about how awesome and cool things are with relatively few specifics (though there are some specifics).  I'll check in on TESO when it is 6 months or so from release and see how it looks then.  You can usually tell what a game will be like at that point.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Chaosspeeder

It's very simple: The next big thing is the next WoW expansion after Mists of Pandaria. I hope it will be "Gone with the gnomes"

I dont think expansions really count as "the next big thing"...

Not even if they copy all GW2's good bits and do it better. Oooo! thats a thought.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Ooops i forgot the biggest upcoming hype. If we talk about midrange timeframe with WoD, ArchAge, Repopulation and such we should not forget EQ Next!

Yes there are the SoE-haters, but Smedley will hype his baby straight thru the roof. And I am afraid this hype will start soon ... way too soon.

BTW, PS2 shows that you need 2 parties for a hype. A publisher hyping and the fans jumping on the hypewaggon. I dont see people jumping yet. But they will jump on the EQ Next hype, you bet.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I thought all other games officially ceased to exist after August 28...
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

Ooops i forgot the biggest upcoming hype. If we talk about midrange timeframe with WoD, ArchAge, Repopulation and such we should not forget EQ Next!

Yes there are the SoE-haters, but Smedley will hype his baby straight thru the roof. And I am afraid this hype will start soon ... way too soon.

BTW, PS2 shows that you need 2 parties for a hype. A publisher hyping and the fans jumping on the hypewaggon. I dont see people jumping yet. But they will jump on the EQ Next hype, you bet.

I'm looking forward to EQNext actually...even though there hasn't been much announced about it at all. Early reports at least were saying that they were going back to a more EQ1 type game with it...one can only hope.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76

Asmuch as I'd love to see Archeage I highly doubt it will get a western release.

War Z and Elder Srolls Online I've got my eyes on.

• ZoltosZoltos Member UncommonPosts: 60

My personal Hype list after GW2 ofc, not in any specific order :

Mist Of Pandaria - well played all the others and this will also have some "fun time" in it, i think.

Archeage - "Sandpark" looks like very interesting! Love the idea of sandbox. So this is a must try for me.

Wildstar - Only seen some vidio clips but looks awesome so far!

Darkfall 2.0 - Played Darkfall for 2 years. Great game, but seem unfinished and dead atm. Hopefully DF2.0 will be better.

Embers Of Careus - Sounds awesome and like a true Sandbox...if it just delivers on half the promises then it will be great fun!

I admit im very hyped at GW2 atm. But honestly if it just can provide 1-3 months of fun then it´s fine for me.

I hope for more thou... 

Games Played: Anarchy Online,Star Wars Galaxies,WOW,Eve,Darkfall,Vanguard, Fallen Earth,SWTOR,GW2,Tera,ESO,Wildstar, Black Desert, Archeage & Albion Online
    Now playing: Conan Exiles & Rocket League
    Games looking forward to: Diablo 4! & Star Citizen?

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
    archeage, elder scrolls online and embers of caerus for me.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

All the MMOs that are coming down the pipeline noware just Niche games.

We're not going to see hype like SW:TOR or GW2 again for awhile.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by blix2006
    planetside 2 easily the next big hype train game..and i think it will back it up.as far as my personal most excited for game it would have to be starbound...i put an embarrassing amount of time into terraria so...yea this will be epic.

LOL PS2 is not going to be the next big hype. That game is going to be and is pure and utter garbage. The event they did a while back was crap. SOE is crap. All of thier games have like no population. Go look at there server population lists on all of their games. This game will flop simply because it will be buggy and has SOE behind it. People are learning so how you think it is going to be this awesome hype fest is beyond me. Just because 468 people have voted doesn't mean it is a hype train lol. The numbers on this website are skewed and always low for hype. I guarantee you this game flops just watch.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    For the forums sake you better hope the Elder Scrolls Online doesn't pick up speed. It would be the flame war to end all flame wars.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Elder Scrolls seems possible. Wildstarr is generating quite a bit of its own hype and then of course the easy pick Archage, which is every sandbox lover's dream which will be hated because its exactly like their dreams which they think they like but will quit it and demand another one just like it. Yeah, calling out sandbox lovers for what they do. :)
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Elder Scrolls seems possible. Wildstarr is generating quite a bit of its own hype and then of course the easy pick Archage, which is every sandbox lover's dream which will be hated because its exactly like their dreams which they think they like but will quit it and demand another one just like it. Yeah, calling out sandbox lovers for what they do. :)

None of that made any sense.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    it'll be Mist of Cars 2
  • Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    PS2 and for me anyways Wildstar looks great.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

World of Darkness

but it might take another 4-5 years to release..........

so take it easy ;)

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Elder Scolls Online and Neverwinter for me.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Still waiting to hear more on EQ Next. image

Archeage looks interesting. I doubt it's going to be "the next big thing", but it's certainly got my attention for now.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Most will be bored with GW2 in a month. That is fine from a business standpoint because they will already have everyone's money from Buy 2 Play and don't require a subscription to be a success. But from the player perspective a new MMO game will be required to keep people occupied into the New Year. Only thing to look forward to is existing MMOs putting out some decent expansions. Really looking forward to Vindictus 2.

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

The next big game will be Citadel of Sorcery. Check it out.