Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW: 75% off expansion sale until aug 27th

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Psychow

I'm ignoring the entirely random date choice...

You do that, buddy. More power to ya :)

I will never forget how much I enjoyed my time with WOW, but I swear, some folks have their heads so deep in the sand that they wouldn't notice their ass being chewed off by a giraffe.

There is nothing random about the timing of this promotion. Good luck, homie.

People like to cover their ears, close their eyes and go nanananananana.

Anyways, this might as well be a fire/clearance sale. Everything must go.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i would had bought mist of panderia if they had given a discount . 40 dollars +paying for subscription is insane .
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    This is the sound of a payment model in its last days.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I will never forget how much I enjoyed my time with WOW, but I swear, some folks have their heads so deep in the sand that they wouldn't notice their ass being chewed off by a giraffe.

You do realize all of this was said when EVERY AAA MMO FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS! have came out right? GW2 fanbois are either ignorant or pompous, I'll go with both.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Are you trying to convince us or yourself of that one?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    i would had bought mist of panderia if they had given a discount . 40 dollars +paying for subscription is insane .

It used to be standard fare.  Anet is changing that. 

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by azrael466

You do realize all of this was said when EVERY AAA MMO FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS! have came out right? GW2 fanbois are either ignorant or pompous, I'll go with both.

You do know GW2 is outselling MoP .Amazon have it as 1.2.3 and 5 on thier sales lists in various editions . Mop is at number 4 . This is a new game outselling the most established mmo ever . Why dont you try it and see for your self . A year in MoP will cost you around 200+dollars where as a year in GW2 will cost you 50 .  If you like it then you save yourself a huge amount each year . 

There are of course things that could still go wrong but I dont think its easy to write this off as another ToR or Warhammer .Its so obvious that its on a different level to anything we've seen ..... well since WoW . and its buy to play . 

I'm a long term WoW player . I'm playing now . I've been playing since 2005 ( with a few breaks ) and I would say what I've seen of Gw2 cant match WoW Vanilla but it just wipes the floor with WoW cata and I honestly have very little faith WoW panda will improve things enough to compare with GW2 fresh new approach . 

Dunno yet though if its the second coming or hes not the messiah hes a very naughty boy . Personally I dont think its Brian and its more the other guy and WoW could see a rapture of a kind in the coming couple of years . 

I think many like me will remember WoW with a fondness and return now and again to see how things are but things will have to change in Azeroth and you know what I think once Blizzard starts to hurt they will for the better . 

So whether your an gw2 fan or an WoW fan in the long run it will work out nicely . 

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by roo67
    Originally posted by azrael466

You do know GW2 is outselling MoP .Amazon have it as 1.2.3 and 5 on thier sales lists in various editions . Mop is at number 4 . This is a new game outselling the most established mmo ever . Why dont you try it and see for your self . A year in MoP will cost you around 200+dollars where as a year in GW2 will cost you 50 .  If you like it then you save yourself a huge amount each year . 

There are of course things that could still go wrong but I dont think its easy to write this off as another ToR or Warhammer .Its so obvious that its on a different level to anything we've seen ..... well since WoW . and its buy to play . 

I'm a long term WoW player . I'm playing now . I've been playing since 2005 ( with a few breaks ) and I would say what I've seen of Gw2 cant match WoW Vanilla but it just wipes the floor with WoW cata and I honestly have very little faith WoW panda will improve things enough to compare with GW2 fresh new approach . 

Dunno yet though if its the second coming or hes not the messiah hes a very naughty boy . Personally I dont think its Brian and its more the other guy and WoW could see a rapture of a kind in the coming couple of years . 

I think many like me will remember WoW with a fondness and return now and again to see how things are but things will have to change in Azeroth and you know what I think once Blizzard starts to hurt they will for the better . 

So whether your an gw2 fan or an WoW fan in the long run it will work out nicely . 

I'm not saying GW2 won't be successful, I'm not saying it won't sell millions - In fact, I know for a FACT it will probably be one of, if not the greatest selling MMO launch to date. That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying, fanboiz need to STFU. They act ilke WoW and GW2 can't BOTH be successful, they're MMOs - not immortals from highlander, there CAN BE more than 1. NOT EVERYTHING WOW DOES IS A RESPONCE TO GW2!, I swear, GW2 fanboiz are the most insecure mass of whining incoherent BS I've seen since I last visited 4chan.

and no, not everyone who dislikes WoW is a troll, not everyone who likes GW2 is a fanboi - People who say nothing but 'lawlz panduhz' are trolls, or at least idiots, and people who say shit like 'blizz iz scured of A-net lawlz' are fanboiz.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Are you trying to convince us or yourself of that one? 

No, I was trying to focus on the fact it was an amazing deal, and nstead of focusing on the date of the sale, it'd be more helpful if people focused on the deal itself.

There is no question the timing was deliberate. Anything I said related to that was done tongue and cheek.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Great deals....

I feel so dumb looking at that link. I always thought the WoW battle chest was some kind of tabletop game about warcraft LOL (never looked into it until today)..... i just saw it on google and that is just Vanilla WoW + TBC + some strategy guides..... so i guess i dont need to buy the battle chest for $5 bucks since i own the game already. :/

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I received an email to buy MoP for $10! whoot!

Oh, but they forgot to mention the additional $200-300 I would have to spend on the other expansions to catch up, plus the monthly fees, and the additional spam in my email box I will receive because they whore'd our emails into our usernames and give marketing firms access to the username list (hackers too).

I have 3 email accounts, the day WoW made all account usernames into user emails, that linked account of mine has received 1-2 phishing emails daily and 7-20 marketing emails daily. That is since that very day and continues today for lord knows how many years now. Thank you for the daily reminder of just how much you respect our privacy and value our patronage, Blizzard.

Never in a million years would I sign up with anything Blizz/Activision related.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Nadia

personally i think WOW should be bundling expansions anyhow

what happens to new players from September forward?

do they have to pay for 4 expansions to see endgame?

Well, where is the problem? This seems most natural thing possible. Is no different with any game gone so far.

But usually, as I remember they did so, there is big bonus on leveling time on lover levels. It took my alts years ago much much more time to go through first 60 levels then today. Usually there is no inflation of quests in wow, never seen so many, ... but happend from time to time I had to grind, i.e. in Ungoro for half level to be able to move on. Now leveling my "wolves" :-) left me with i gues 2/3 of quests not even started before getting there.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Wow strike 2 against GW2 for blizzard, smart move for them.. Very smart move.  Still I think up until that time people have their minds set on whether they will play WoW or GW2.   I think the real competition will come in a couple months when the post-launch reviews of GW2 come out.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Rider071

Oh, but they forgot to mention the additional $200-300 I would have to spend on the other expansions to catch up, plus the monthly fees, and the additional spam in my email box I will receive because they whore'd our emails into our usernames and give marketing firms access to the username list (hackers too).

I have 3 email accounts, the day WoW made all account usernames into user emails, that linked account of mine has received 1-2 phishing emails daily and 7-20 marketing emails daily. That is since that very day and continues today for lord knows how many years now. Thank you for the daily reminder of just how much you respect our privacy and value our patronage, Blizzard.

Never in a million years would I sign up with anything Blizz/Activision related.

Thats very true even with such an offer as this if you compare prices for a year .

WoW and its expansions + the new  MoP expansion and including monthly fees will cost aprox 250 dollars

GW2 will cost 50 . 

So essentially WoW costs 5 times more than GW2 to play on an annual basis for the first year .

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7006231

Prepare for Pandaria with epic savings!

This week only, you can get the World of Warcraft Battle Chest for $5, Wrath of the Lich King for $5, and Cataclysm for $10 when you buy directly from Blizzard.

That’s 75% off the regular prices, making this a great time to set yourself up for the imminent launch of Mists of Pandaria… or to invite a friend to join you in Azeroth.

Hurry, this offer ends August 27, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. PDT.

ROFL.....What can I say they are trying their hardest to stop their play base from trying GW2 because they know they are going to lose so many players who will cancel subs and then they will CRASH and burn as people dump their shares. IMO this is too little and to late this should of happened ages ago and they would not be looking over their shoulders.

Bye Wow....

Bandit 

Asbo

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Rider071

Pics or didn't happen. MoP is 34.99$/€.

The other expansions are on sale, though.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

You are right people cover their ears, close their eyes and go 'WOW is scared'...'WOW is desperate' everytime  a new high profile MMO is to be released.

Only foolish people refuse to learn anything from past.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

They do this every year... price drops, free expansions using the scroll of resurrection.. etc. etc.

I mean, I'm a GW2 fan and I don't play WoW.. but the GW2 fanbois are really jumping on anything to try and validate their game of choice. WoW doing things like this is nothing new.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Vannor

They do this every year... price drops, free expansions using the scroll of resurrection.. etc. etc.

I mean, I'm a GW2 fan and I don't play WoW.. but the GW2 fanbois are really jumping on anything to try and validate their game of choice. WoW doing things like this is nothing new.

GW2 fans are clearly not the first to act like this but i surely gave them more credit and considered them to be lot more reasonabkle and intelligent to understand that WOW isn't scared of GW2 just like it wasn't scared of SWTOR, RIFT, WAR or just any other MMO released in past 7 years.

Statements like 'WOW is scared of GW2' or 'WOW is desperate' is there subtle way of saying that GW2 will kill WOW. Some people just never learn.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

This week Blizzard is doing a patch for WoW, doing this sale and it doing a major patch for D3.

Not saying they are scared of Gw2, because of course they know. That Gw2 cant kill them, they will still do just fine.

However, it also true that Gw2 will take some subs away. (1mil at most, which is not much for them at all)

However, to try and lower that even more. They are doing a lot this week to lower how many will leave as much as they can.

So no, gw2 will not kill and will not even hurt WoW that much. However, It can take subs away and so Blizzard doing there best to lower how many will leave.

It not out of desparation, it just a very smart move they are doing.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Vannor

GW2 fans are clearly not the first to act like this but i surely gave them more credit and considered them to be lot more reasonabkle and intelligent to understand that WOW isn't scared of GW2 just like it wasn't scared of SWTOR, RIFT, WAR or just any other MMO released in past 7 years.

Statements like 'WOW is scared of GW2' or 'WOW is desperate' is there subtle way of saying that GW2 will kill WOW. Some people just never learn.

While i'm not exactly a WOW fan, i have to agree.

Honestly, i feel that if Blizzard was truly "scared" of GW2, they'd to much more than this, specially including all the previous game for free, even if only for a short amount of time.

Also, i think they'd release MOP around Christmas. I allows players to play most of GW2's content, get bored and buy something new. Yet, they're realsing just 1 month after, like they do with every large scale competitor.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by LachyFTW
    Holy crap thats an amazing deal.

No it is not, almost all companies give you all previous expansions for free when you buy the latest one.

Heck, EQ2 started with that in 2006 and I think Blizz actually would earn money on doing the same, after all is the monthly fees their main source of income.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by EsLafiel

This week Blizzard is doing a patch for WoW, doing this sale and it doing a major patch for D3.

Not saying they are scared of Gw2, because of course they know. That Gw2 cant kill them, they will still do just fine.

However, it also true that Gw2 will take some subs away. (1mil at most, which is not much for them at all)

However, to try and lower that even more. They are doing a lot this week to lower how many will leave as much as they can.

So no, gw2 will not kill and will not even hurt WoW that much. However, It can take subs away and so Blizzard doing there best to lower how many will leave.

If GW2 would take a million subs from Wow as you think and those would be western subs it would be a lot to them. Wow had just over 9 mil players last time they toldus, half of those are western player that pays a lot more than say Chinese players.

I am not so sure they will lose that much but if they do Activision will cry like babies, it is a huge sum ($15 million bucks a month, or probably just 10M since they wont get all the money for gamecards) and Activision is in economical problems right now just like EA.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by EsLafiel

If GW2 would take a million subs from Wow as you think and those would be western subs it would be a lot to them. Wow had just over 9 mil players last time they toldus, half of those are western player that pays a lot more than say Chinese players.

I am not so sure they will lose that much but if they do Activision will cry like babies, it is a huge sum ($15 million bucks a month, or probably just 10M since they wont get all the money for gamecards) and Activision is in economical problems right now just like EA.

I meant 1mil at the very most, plus ArenaNet have a good following in Asia as well.

So people will leave WoW for Gw2 in Asia as well, it not just western market.

• hpy7871hpy7871 Member Posts: 14
    I hope people realize the reason the sale ends on the 27th is due to patch 5.0 comming out on the 28th it has nothing to do with GW2