Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 gonna bring back the magic from before?

Comments

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323

I was hit in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2009. 

I doubt it will hit you again in future games unless population can reproduce the magic.

• PipofixPipofix Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Pipofix
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I doubt it.In my experience it doesn't matter hwo good a game is your never gonna recapture the magic of your first encounter with the genre.

Edited for your reading pleause for atrocious typos

Im afraid this is true. Somehow I think that im gonna be disapointed no matter what game comes out, at least as far as those feelings that I experienced in the beginning of my mmorpg-gaming. Still I can not help to hope for this.

I guess I just have to take the bull by the horns and accept the fact of the matter...

Still, im sure its gonna be a cool gaming experience and perhaps become the game that replaces WoW as the main game, at least for me.

I disagree with this, and the main reason so many people believe this is due to the rash of 'Me Too' WoW style themeparks to bombard the market over the last 8 years or so.   Hell, when I first got into that little broken game called Xsyon, I had some of those old feelings come right back due to the survival and community aspect.  Unfortunately, there were too many problems with the game and a lack of other mechanics to support those great things I experienced. 

The problem is these newer games offer very little depth of gameplay.  Most of you have "been there and done that" so there isn't much to surprise you or even muster a feeling of novelty beyond first impressions and early gameplay experience.  

The fact is, even with the innovations in GW2, for example, it's still a pretty standard themepark and anyone who has played one before will walk right into it with little challenge or surprise.

I hear you. But I have a feeling that gw2 is less themepark than wow and other games. Im looking forward to exploring etc as far as I know (havent done much research) the gw2 world is quite huge.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If you take a step back and watch what Arenanet created and look back in time what Warhammer - Aion - SWTOR did you can see a major diffrence.

The fun weared off in those mmo's within days or weeks.

I remember Aion very well, i tought it would be something special but after reaching level 35 it became boring, the flying got anoying instead of fun, Keep sieges where unbalanced as hell, PvP was pure RNG, and getting good gear was a second job.

I realy liked the start of Aion and realy tought this would be as good as WoW, and it could have been, but the dev's dint care to make adjustments to make Aion better.
    They went straight for the wallet and dint care for its community.

Arenanet takes a whole diffrent approuch in that regard.
    Their studio is like a big house and the boss is sitting behind a desk with the other members of the team, not behind a golden desk with a pretty girl that sucks .... while he counts the money.

Their whole philosopy of love for gaming is showed from alot of their developers, they made Guildwars 2 to conquer the hears of gamers, competitive gamers, exploring gamers, puzzle gamers, even hippy gamers who smoke pot can walk around and get lost in the amazing jungles they created.
    I havent seen any studio that works the way Arenanet does.

Everything they promised is present, if you have played 1 single beta you must have feeled that the magic is there.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    No...for most it won't. Much as some are hoping it will sprinkle fairie dust up their skirts it ain't gonna happen

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I doubt it.In my experience it doesn't matter hwo good a game is your never gonna recapture the magic of your first encounter with the genre.

Edited for your reading pleause for atrocious typos

This is where I disagree.  Asherons Call was my first MMO and it really is my all time favorite but I have some of my fondest memories of WoW in Vanilla, BC and early WotLK.  So IMO lightning can strike twice.  And yes  Ithink GW2 is going to bring hte magic back to very many.

I agree to this. The first mmo that really had me excited and playing for a long time was FFXI even though I had already played other mmo's and some muds before it. Then LOTRO surpassed that. And now during BWE's that feeling got stronger yet another time, it's the first game where I like how all aspects of the game are done (in most games for example I disliked how PvP was done and mainly focused on PvE and in those where I liked PvP the PvE bored me) and the exploration never fealt as visually pleasing, alive and rewarding before.

• redfrickredfrick Member UncommonPosts: 42
    While I doubt anything will replace your first memory of stepping into an MMO for me GW2 comes close in one aspect.  I remember when I first logged into SWG (pre cu) feeling as if I really did step into a massive virtual world.  I do get a bit of that when I log into GW2.
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

no chance in hell... 

gw2 is just another clonetrooper,

For this feeling you need something absolute new, maybe when virtual reality comes out....

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81
    really wanted to feel it...but i couldnt. planning on getting the maximum enjoyment out of it by playing slow,alot of crafting and playing on the AH.

• XenogosXenogos Member Posts: 8

AC popped my cherry. I am excited about this game but I do not think any game can bring back that feeling.

Standing on the spire killing a golem for a mote being hacked to death or chased down with someone screaming "SWEAR OR DIE!" 

No friends the hands are now washed and gloved and its a sad looking man giving your limp penis a slow pulsing HJ instead of the Rusty Trombone Orgasm of the early 2000's. Good by mystery and lust. Hello fleshlights.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by gieger808
    You only get one first kiss.

True, but at least this is different enough when you play it so you feel something...

It wont bring back all the magic but it does at least give me a little of it. I think it is 6-7 years ago I tried a MMO that doesnt feel like I played it a lot after a few hours.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Depends upon the sort of person you are.

For some people it's possible.  For most people, it apparently is not.

It's all up to the person in question. Some got it from GW2, others from SWTOR, TERA, TSW, Rift, etc. You will only know by playing it.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I think it is entirely possible to get that same feeling again, as time goes on that feeling I find becomes more dependent on how well the community comes together. My first game was EQ, but my fondest memory was grouping with other players for hours on end camping exp together. It wasnt about that level that took 8 hours, it was about being social with a group of people you don't know focusing on a common goal.

I find that because gw2 unites peoples goals in such a way that it ultimately promotes a better community of players. Your fighting with people to achieve something, not against them. That is my magic, as long as I can find some friends and we can do DE's or raid in WvW, my magic will hit a ton more times in gw2.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well GW2 did bring some for me.

I feel so refresh after burnout with the Wow and its MMO clones.

No more !?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by gieger808
    You only get one first kiss.

Not true, you get a ton of first kisses.  First time I kissed Amy.  First tme I kissed Jessica.  First time I kissed Kelly.  Etc.  You get the Idea. 

On topic, I do not think you can get that feeling like the first game but you will be able to get the enjoyment of those old school games via Guild Wars 2 or at least I have found the enjoyment in getting losted in an MMO world again.

Sooner or Later

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

You never forget your first... That doesn't mean that it's impossible for the 107th to beat it.

For me it honestly already has, and I think it'll continue to do so.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by xmenty

Well GW2 did bring some for me.

I feel so refresh after burnout with the Wow and its MMO clones.

No more !?

QFT. GW2 does things so differently, is so fresh (while still being rooted in MMOGs of ages past) that it very much has brought back those old feelings for me. I'm not talking just about hype either, I've put 100+ hours into the game already and still cant wait to log in each time there is a test and cant wait to explore the world, hang out with my guildies, and just get immersed.

I think the reason for this is because it's just so fresh. It is the first themepark MMOG in half a decade to do something new and in doing so it brings back those old feelings of not knowing what might come next, what might be just around the next corner, etc.

Unfortunately we'll never get those old feelings back fully. For me EQ was my first MMOG, but I got those old feelings more from Anarchy Online.. and still consider that the best MMOG I've ever played. But GW2 goes a long way towards topping my list and it isn't even out yet.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    UO had a horrible beta and  launch but darm if it wasn't magic for me, my next  thrill was DAoC, LoTRO was pretty amazing running around Middle Earth but IU have to say I have not looked forward to a game as much as I am looking forward to this one since 97

I miss DAoC

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

It won't be so surprising. Partly the imagination will not be firing as much, and partly the design is themepark which is keeping the expected on your radar eg all players are buddies in this game feel in PvE. I still think it's possible to design an mmorpg and make it surprising, but it would take a sandbox design to do so.

That all said, the polish should be excellent for GW2 and good quality entertainment.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

No new game will bring that feeling: More open development process (for marketing and hype) + people nowadays research these games a lot more + we've gotten more used to the whole concept. There's no thrill of the unknown like 10 years ago.

Though, the magic wasnt all there is to it. The other half was the feeling of belonging into your faction and community. I'm hoping to gain more of this in GW2 again, and GW2 has a lot better foundation for that than AO or WoW (or especially all the clones), because of many of the gameplay mechanics (hunting DE's), world design (finding secrets), etc, imo. If everything goes well when it comes to rooting your self into your realm, I can see my self playing GW2 for a while.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818
    Nope.   Maybe you could get it a second time, but its still not the same.  There will only be 1 first MMO experience, love.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    you guys seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?  need that done for MMOs:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Josher
    Nope.   Maybe you could get it a second time, but its still not the same.  There will only be 1 first MMO experience, love.

Started out playing Neverwinter Nights in '94, liked it a lot, was a fun game. Moved on to Meridian 59 and it was ok, and i didnt last long.

I remember recieving my Ultima Online beta CDs, and thats when everything changed...

So it was my 3rd kiss i guess ; )

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by Pipofix
     But the magic is completely gone and im not sure it can ever be brought back, at least not the way it felt then. When I say "the magic" I mean the awesome feeling it was to enter Ashenvale for the first time, the music tingeling, stuff flying through the air and the scenic environment. To top things of there was the threat of being killed by the opposite faction, damn! Those where the days :)

Whatever the other may say, the first time i entered the Queensdale in BWE1, i got that "Magic" feel once again and i have thought it was impossible and it cannot happen never ever again, other than first time you enter MMO world.

But it did actually happened. And i was sceptical about purchasing GW2 also and thought i was buying "cat in a bag".

This being said, it all depends from person to person. Only precise answer can be given by yourself. Try the game, approach to it with open mind and look into it as a "whole new" game, rather than "new MMORPG". It still the answer is no, then you will get your question answered anyway.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    It'll be fun for a month or two. But the lack of power progression at level 80 will make most of us quit pretty fast (probably right after killing zhaitan)
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    No, it won't. But i'll enjoy it as much as i can
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.