Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 gonna bring back the magic from before?

PipofixPipofix Member Posts: 32

I remember when first started playing mmos. A friend got me to buy EQ1, I had no idea of the mmorpg concept really, but I thought the idea of playing with others online was fantastic. I never even got to lvl20 in that game. After this WoW came out, I was totally hooked. I have been playing WoW on and off for as long as its been around and had a great time tbh. But the magic is completely gone and im not sure it can ever be brought back, at least not the way it felt then. When I say "the magic" I mean the awesome feeling it was to enter Ashenvale for the first time, the music tingeling, stuff flying through the air and the scenic environment. To top things of there was the threat of being killed by the opposite faction, damn! Those where the days :)

Now to my questions: Will it ever be possible to experience this again? Or something like it? Is it even possible? Above all, am I being too optimistic over the possibility that perhaps GW2 is gonna be able install those awesome feelings in me again? Is it gonna bring back the magic?

These questions might not have an answer, at least not a clear one. But im optimistically counting down the hours!

This is my first post, been reading mmorpg.com for a long time, thought it was a bout time to make a post, albeit a optimistic one :P

/Pipofix

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I doubt it.In my experience it doesn't matter hwo good a game is your never gonna recapture the magic of your first encounter with the genre.

Edited for your reading pleause for atrocious typos

• armengararmengar Member UncommonPosts: 51

Personally I dont think so, I've never recaptured that feeling from crossing from s karana to n karana in eq, the fear of running from freeport to the spires to go to the moon.  I think its we can still be able to be in awe of something, but not the same as your first =)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Nope.  And as mentioned in the OP, part of that "feeling" was due to possibly bumping into a member of the opposite faction and feeling your pulse rate spike as a result.  ArenaNet, in their infinite wisdom, created a game in which everyone is on the same team and get to go around high-fiving each other instead of fighting each other.  Now, add to that the fact that there will be no actual socializing outside of guilds in the PvE environment in this game due to forced grouping, and you won't experience anything close to the thrill you received from your first MMO.  
  • PilutPilut Member Posts: 47
    Probably not.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It's debatable.  It's definitely the first MMO I've played since WoW that didn't feel like a chore... and even then, WoW endgame is literally a chore.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Depends upon the sort of person you are.

For some people it's possible.  For most people, it apparently is not.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Might get you half way to that feeling again. Who knows until this weekend though :)

• RickochetpRickochetp Member UncommonPosts: 2

IT is definitely hard to recreate that magic from your first MMORPG (mine was EQ). However, I can say that frm my beta experience, GW2 comes pretty close. I haven't been this excited for a game in a while.

Obviously, this is an incredibly personal issue, not everyone will feel this way. Just my 2 cp.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    You only get one first kiss.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Here is what I expect...

When I first log onto GW2 and go into character creation, I expect my life to immediately go into slow motion while I experience a montage of all the great experiences I will have in GW2 to REO Speedwagon's "I can't fight this feeling."

Anything less than that, and I will be severely disappointed.  Don't f#ck this up for me ANET!!!!!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I doubt it.In my experience it doesn't matter hwo good a game is your never gonna recapture the magic of your first encounter with the genre.

This is where I disagree.  Asherons Call was my first MMO and it really is my all time favorite but I have some of my fondest memories of WoW in Vanilla, BC and early WotLK.  So IMO lightning can strike twice.  And yes  Ithink GW2 is going to bring hte magic back to very many.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PipofixPipofix Member Posts: 32

Im afraid this is true. Somehow I think that im gonna be disapointed no matter what game comes out, at least as far as those feelings that I experienced in the beginning of my mmorpg-gaming. Still I can not help to hope for this.

I guess I just have to take the bull by the horns and accept the fact of the matter...

Still, im sure its gonna be a cool gaming experience and perhaps become the game that replaces WoW as the main game, at least for me.

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by gieger808
    You only get one first kiss.

where?

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    We cant get our mmo virginity back but GW2 comes about as close as it gets and gives me a really good vibe while i am playing it..

Playing GW2..

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

When I started playing MMORPGs, then the "magic" came mostly two sources: a) having the feeling of beeing part of a huge world, that will take months to explore. And b) beeing part of a friendly community of players helping each other.

a) doesn't work anymore. Why? Many reasons. One: not enough starting zones. WoW had on it's launch day... how many? undead, orcs & trolls, tauren, humans, dwarves & gnomes, elves... a total of six completly different starting zones. Basically six games you could choose to start with. More modern MMORPGs, like Rift, have maybe two starting zones? How boring is that? The other reason is, that you simply know too much about the games. You enter a game the first time, press M, see the map, and you know that if you walk two steps backwards, you will bump into an invisible wall, behind which is the laval land, and that it takes you about 15 minutes to walk from one end of the world to the other. You know the best build before the game is released, you know that the next boss fight doesn't matter for you, because there is no loot from that boss you might need. All feeling of explorion: gone. And with it, any immersion.

And b) doesn't work anymore, because everything has been automated. You are doing a quest and can't find the mobs? No, don't ask other players, the quest tracker will help you. You are doing another quest and don't know where to walk? Don't communicate with other players, an arrow will point you the way. Some games even make you walk there on rails, automatically. You don't really know what a boss does? That won't happen. You can always check it out before ever meeting that boss. Want to do some PvP? God no, don't ask other players. Press the BG button and you'll be sent there. Want to go into a dungeon? No, don't ask other players. The game will do everything for you automatically. The lack of communication kills communities.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    It's very close for me. I am excited because it's like discovering a new world. I've played the stress tests and one bwe it's going to be awesome methinks. Is it exactly the same feeling as before, no, but it's certainly close.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I have 2 imaginary columns.

I have four mmo's that sit at the top of my "best ever" column. UO, EQ1, AC1 and DAoC. To me they are all tied.

Then I have a column for everything else.

GW2, from what I have seen, has a very good chance for taking the top spot on that side. It's been (again, so far) my favorite mmorpg post Camelot, and I have tried just abotu all of them.

Originally posted by maji

When I started playing MMORPGs, then the "magic" came mostly two sources: a) having the feeling of beeing part of a huge world, that will take months to explore. And b) beeing part of a friendly community of players helping each other.

a) doesn't work anymore. Why? Many reasons. One: not enough starting zones. WoW had on it's launch day... how many? undead, orcs & trolls, tauren, humans, dwarves & gnomes, elves... a total of six completly different starting zones. Basically six games you could choose to start with. More modern MMORPGs, like Rift, have maybe two starting zones? How boring is that? The other reason is, that you simply know too much about the games. You enter a game the first time, press M, see the map, and you know that if you walk two steps backwards, you will bump into an invisible wall, behind which is the laval land, and that it takes you about 15 minutes to walk from one end of the world to the other. You know the best build before the game is released, you know that the next boss fight doesn't matter for you, because there is no loot from that boss you might need. All feeling of explorion: gone. And with it, any immersion.

And b) doesn't work anymore, because everything has been automated. You are doing a quest and can't find the mobs? No, don't ask other players, the quest tracker will help you. You are doing another quest and don't know where to walk? Don't communicate with other players, an arrow will point you the way. Some games even make you walk there on rails, automatically. You don't really know what a boss does? That won't happen. You can always check it out before ever meeting that boss. Want to do some PvP? God no, don't ask other players. Press the BG button and you'll be sent there. Want to go into a dungeon? No, don't ask other players. The game will do everything for you automatically. The lack of communication kills communities.

Yea this automated stuff is really a bummer. Im really gonna go out of my way to try and socialize more come GW2. I think that if you cant get that going its just gonna feel more like a single-player experience. Damn it! Im gonna call my buddies and make them get a guild together.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347
    Certainly will never be same, but I can safely say I have not had this much fun in a game in over 5 years.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Pipofix

Im afraid this is true. Somehow I think that im gonna be disapointed no matter what game comes out, at least as far as those feelings that I experienced in the beginning of my mmorpg-gaming. Still I can not help to hope for this.

I guess I just have to take the bull by the horns and accept the fact of the matter...

Still, im sure its gonna be a cool gaming experience and perhaps become the game that replaces WoW as the main game, at least for me.

I disagree with this, and the main reason so many people believe this is due to the rash of 'Me Too' WoW style themeparks to bombard the market over the last 8 years or so.   Hell, when I first got into that little broken game called Xsyon, I had some of those old feelings come right back due to the survival and community aspect.  Unfortunately, there were too many problems with the game and a lack of other mechanics to support those great things I experienced. 

The problem is these newer games offer very little depth of gameplay.  Most of you have "been there and done that" so there isn't much to surprise you or even muster a feeling of novelty beyond first impressions and early gameplay experience.  

The fact is, even with the innovations in GW2, for example, it's still a pretty standard themepark and anyone who has played one before will walk right into it with little challenge or surprise.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    Nothing is gonna bring that back but a time machine.
    Originally posted by KillHurt
    Certainly will never be same, but I can safely say I have not had this much fun in a game in over 5 years.

I like hearing that :) geez, im going nuts here in my apartm.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I gave up chasing that feeling a long time ago,  it doesn't have to be your first MMO that gives you that feeling, it's the first that really grabs you. That would be SWG for me, which wasn't my first. So I think it's possible some may have that feeling in this case, if past games didn't really draw them in when it comes to full on immersion.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Nah. Maybe for younger players that haven't played older MMORPGs....or any MMORPGs...and since they're young and I'm old and miserable, then their opinion doesn't count grumble grumble. It'll probably come the closest of anything else out at the moment though.

There's a lot to be said for the older games that were beating a path through virgin territory like everquest etc and didn't really know what they were doing. They were damn hard games because they didn't think to do it any other way and they possibly understood that making it hard to attain something can make it more fun to try and get. Nowadays, the very concept of making players 'work' for any sort of achievement is a frightening concept and I think they all miss an essential ingredient as a result. 

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I really hope so OP, for you, me and everybody ... However I'm not sure if that is possible. My first MMO was SWG and I never felt the same excitement in any other game again.