Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sooo after GW2, whats the next big hype train? I can't see anything.

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by wtvr123
    WarZ, PS2.

Definitely those two.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

I doubt after SWTOR and GW2 anygame in the near future will come even close to that bad hype we had about them.

Archage, WoD and The Repopulation are too far away, but are my strongest candidates. TESO is more a candidate for even more anti-hype. They simply reject to deliver, what the TES-Crowd wants. Planetside is FPS. Neverwinter and Wildstar might cause a small hype, but not noteworthy compared to the Big 2. 

So I expect a rather calm year and the next storm starting late 2013.

My personal hype will be end of 2013, too. With Total War: Rome II, i will not care about MMOs anymore for at least a year!

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by hikaru77

TESO.

After less than a Month, GW2 will be one of the biggest disappointments in the MMO history for really a lot of people, not for the people like me who bought the game knowing that is just an E-sport MMO. 

TSW didnt fail.

SWTOR is still the most successful MMO but WoW in the west, and by the end of the year we will find more people playing TOR than GW2. 

Are you delusional? SWTOR is free2play already, bioware is laying off staff members, EA has torn the game to shreds, and now they're selling statted equipment in the microtransaction store.

I played SWTOR to level 50, it was fun - but boring once you're there, there's really nothing to do that catches my attention. I suggest you take your fandom visor off and look at the game again, because it's not going anywhere, any time soon.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside2
    TESO
    Archeage
    Wod

That order.

I'm not sure about this hype train thing though. I think we are thankfully out of the era of marketed to hell wow clones with a twist.

Both tsw & gw2 while with some flaws, manage to be not wow and justify SOME of the hype.

The former being swtor done right, the later being war done right
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ocenica

Whats the next big thing AFTER GW2?

Ryan Dancey (Pathfinder Online) had recently stated in one of his presentations that this was a unique period where there is nothing really big on the horizon after GW2. He pointed out that projects this big, with hundreds of employees, are rather hard to hide, so if something is out there and on the near horizon, we'd know about it.

I'm hoping that part of the reason is that investors are just ready to throw up if they see another pitch comprising of the same stale buzzwords wrapped around concept art of fantasy environments and characters in medieval armor swinging swords at stuff.

Investors have got to be bored to tears by now.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    I guess i played all the games which went F2P lately again. My conclusion is: A bad game, does not become better with a change of business model!

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Sicae

For 2014 my guess is wildstar.

you think 2014 is the year for Wildstar?

not that i know any better,

but when they announced it last summer they showed ingame footage and said they had already been working on it for over 3.5 years  (in aug 2011)

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/17/carbine-announces-wildstar-aims-at-mmo-reinvention/

if Wildstar released in 2014 that would be almost 7 years of development

It felt like it was more recent, maybe 2014 is bit of a stretch, but the game is still in alpha stage so it still feels so far away.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Shubawkss

TESO.

After less than a Month, GW2 will be one of the biggest disappointments in the MMO history for really a lot of people, not for the people like me who bought the game knowing that is just an E-sport MMO. 

TSW didnt fail.

SWTOR is still the most successful MMO but WoW in the west, and by the end of the year we will find more people playing TOR than GW2. 

Are you delusional? SWTOR is going Free2play in a few weeks. lol

I think that's the point he was trying to make.  

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Ocenica

SWTOR flopped.

TSW lagged.

Countless others blah.

GW2 will hopefully be great and your time reading this post has been waisted.  BUUUT, what if it isn't.  What is the next big game to hopefully revolutionize the genre or at least breath life back into it?  Some F2P title?  Something in 2012?  Are we going to be waiting up until Titans to hopefully get our fix? 

Whats the next big thing AFTER GW2?

It won't get a hype train, and I am not sure what you call 'big', but I think Wildstar will be a sleeper hit.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I would say FFXIV reborn. Atleast I will be checking it out when it launches. AA and Pathfinder are to far out.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by blix2006
    planetside 2 easily the next big hype train game..and i think it will back it up.as far as my personal most excited for game it would have to be starbound...i put an embarrassing amount of time into terraria so...yea this will be epic.

PS2 will prolly get hyped but unfortunetly it is going to be another major bust for SOE.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Ramadar: why stop at Elric?
    A multiverse mmo would rock
    Fancy some minecraft on acid go jehrek carnellians plane, fancy some dark fantasy go elrics or forums, fancy some sci-fi future fantasy go hawkmoons or erekoses plane, fancy some contemporary but way-out stuff go jerry cornelius, fancy something more historical with fantasy elements go von bek etc..

That could be very cool
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I really like the way Neverwinter plays but they are trying to incorporate 4th edition which is pretty much an autofail.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Wild Star or Blade & Soul, whichever comes first. Hands down.

Arch Age isn't even finished in Korea and they've yet to officially announce the publisher for the West. People are forgetting that it's not uncommon for companies to purchase publishing rights for a game that aren't actually in a rush to publish, just so some other company can't have it.

Neverwinter is by Cryptic, which puts people on edge, and the videos they've been showing haven't been received well (I like them, though, and will be playing it most likely).

Planetside 2 lol ;x It might be a good game, but hype-wise, people are greatly overestimating its audience reach. Most people don't even know it exists and/or what it's about. It ~might~ pick up steam through word of mouth but so far, that hasn't done it much good.

TESO...that anyone even thinks this is an option makes me wonder if they've been living under a rock. Gamers are a bitter and vindictive bunch, and they never forget. Ever. They've done an FF14 before they even launched their game. People will continue to approach TESO with supreme trepidation. They won't get back audience confidence until launch. If that.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Bloc: yeah starbound looks cool I'm watching that too. Loved terraria.
  • DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Shubawkss

TESO.

TSW didnt fail.

Are you delusional? SWTOR is free2play already, bioware is laying off staff members, EA has torn the game to shreds, and now they're selling statted equipment in the microtransaction store.

I played SWTOR to level 50, it was fun - but boring once you're there, there's really nothing to do that catches my attention. I suggest you take your fandom visor off and look at the game again, because it's not going anywhere, any time soon.

Woah, TOR is selling equipment as MTs?  Crazy.

Yeah but TESO there's a lot of shite talked about it, the haters are trying to make out its a fantasy swtor. It's not, everything the devs say about it makes it sound like 50% daoc, 25% gw2, 25% tes. I think it will be a decent game, but it will be competing for the same players as gw2 and planetside2 with a few tes players that want to try a mmo.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

PS2 in the short term.

Archage for the sandbox people, it will have hype greater than or similar to what darkfall/mortal had up to their release.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

TESO...that anyone even thinks this is an option makes me wonder if they've been living under a rock.

Gamers are a bitter and vindictive bunch, and they never forget. Ever.

They've done an FF14 before they even launched their game. People will continue to approach TESO with supreme trepidation. They won't get back audience confidence until launch. If that.

depends what features they show off prelaunch too

personally I think Matt Firor is going to create his version of DAOC2  (shades of Mark Jacobs WAR) but we will see

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    The big hype train after GW2 is going to be the first GW2 expansion.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Didn't bother reading through other posts to see if someone said this but Titan?
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by hardicon

tsw is actually a really great game.  too bad alot of people seemed turned off by funcoms past, ive never played a funcom game before this one so all I can really say I havent had any problems with funcom.

not sure about the next big hyped game, but for me the only games on my radar are world of darkness, pathfinder online and whatever undeadlabs is cooking up (mainly because I like zombies), maybe the elder scrolls online but I will wait till I know more about that game.

so ill play tsw till I either get real bored, the servers shut down or one of those three or four come out.

Many people bought TSW and FC stigmata had nothing to do with it.  People left or didn't purchase but played beta and felt it was meh.  FC reputation, game being meh to many, buisness model, lack luster PvP, great story but no content all had signficiant factors.  Especially since other titles deliver as much if not a whole lot more and don't have a sub attached.

Back to topic.... next big thing?

Elderscrolls Online becuase of the IP it has and possibly FFXIV 2.0 Reborn.  While there are other notable titles like Neverwinter and Archage I highly doubt that they will be highly hyped and will be more niche like TSW.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yeah but TESO there's a lot of shite talked about it, the haters are trying to make out its a fantasy swtor. It's not, everything the devs say about it makes it sound like 50% daoc, 25% gw2, 25% tes. I think it will be a decent game, but it will be competing for the same players as gw2 and planetside2 with a few tes players that want to try a mmo.

I think the ultimate problem with TESO is that they've described it as being full of phasing.  The world is going to come across as pretty disjointed because of this, I think.

I'm a bit concerned they'll be another Holy Trinity game.  They haven't really talked about the combat system in much detail beyond saying there are classes and timing can matter.

I haven't been that impressed with what I read of the game mechanics (seems to borrow a lot of the things I dislike from WoW, for instance), honestly.  But I admit I haven't looked into it beyond a few articles for that reason.

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65

I think Wildstar is going to catch a lot of people by surprise.  I don't think it will be that hyped, and then suddenly people will realize all the work that's been put into the game and all the features it includes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XDf613D1qLk

- Player Housing

- Ability for players to expand/build upon towns and quest hubs

- PvP

-Stylistic Graphics

- Unique Classes

- Focus on "Fun" quests, instead of grind quests

- Environment Interaction

Drac:
    TESO has no tanks and no agro mechanics. It has healers though, but its not a trinity game.

Not that there's anything wrong with trinity, I don't mind it in games like tsw and eve where you can freely swap in and out of heal mode or tank mode. Or coh where its loosely defined and you don't need all roles.