Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question about mesmers

vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
I haven't played beta much because I didn't want to ruin launch. I am interested in playing Mesmers because they look different than any class I have play in other MMO's. I am a PvEer so i was wondering are they a dps class or a support class? Are they complicated to play or easy mode? Just wondering what peoples impressions of this class are, thanks

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    every class has its measure of support, mesmers included, but the best part for mesmers seems to be distraction and diversion. I don't know if it falls under either category really.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by vtravi
    I haven't played beta much because I didn't want to ruin launch. I am interested in playing Mesmers because they look different than any class I have play in other MMO's. I am a PvEer so i was wondering are they a dps class or a support class? Are they complicated to play or easy mode? Just wondering what peoples impressions of this class are, thanks

They are faceroll in 1vs1 PVP at the moment. But only because people dont know how to deal with them. Which will change very soon , since they are really one of easiest class mechanics to play.

In PVE they are the weakest class.

Want to play different class that will dominate in pvp , play engineer.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

They are dps support and control for the most part.

They are a bit complicated in terms of building, but they play fairly easily. The tough choices in pve for the mesmer are how to spec, and what utilities to bring. Mesmers do not have very many damaging utility skills, most of them are true utility, support, or cool tricks like teleporting, portals, group stealth etc.

I haven't tested much in pve, but it seems like mesmers have a lot of diverse builds, including some that can throw a decent amount of group heals out.

I personally love the mesmer due to all the tricks they can have up their sleeve. They are able to adapt to different dangers in dungeons based on utility skills, and they're just... fun.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

They are faceroll in 1vs1 PVP at the moment. But only because people dont know how to deal with them. Which will change very soon , since they are really one of easiest class mechanics to play.

In PVE they are the weakest class.

Want to play different class that will dominate in pvp , play engineer.

I'd disagree with that a bit. In the last two Stress Tests Mesmer has been buffed up quite a bit for PvE and made a bit weaker in PvP.

Back to the OP: It's a fun Profession with a unique style - I'd almost describe them as "Mystic Rogues" as they can use some Stealth Abilities and are (for the most part) more about evasion and timing than brute force.

Like all the GW2 Professions they can be geared and specced to favor Damage, Control, or Support and honestly it's almost impossible to make a Build that doesn't have some elements of all of those in it. Having said that Mesmer abilities tend to focus on Condition/Boon-Swapping and the use of their Illusions and Phantasms for Burst or Timed Effect.

I've enjoyed coming up with (what I hope will be) some really effective Damage and Support builds for PvE so I think Mesmer is a good choice for either of those roles.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I like you have stayed away from most of the beta weekends to keep the game fresh for release. I did try out a bunch of the classes at least through low level stuff - anywhere from lvl 5 to lvl 10+ and one thing that seems to be true is you can make most classes fit any "role" depending on the weapons you use. mesmers can dps if you use the right weapons or do other things.

As to how they pan out once you hit the higher levels when pve becomes a bit more difficult we will have to wait and see. I think every class is viable from that perspective once you learn how to play it properly. I am also positive there will be many balance patches the first couple of months as they get a largescale population playing steadily day after day.

So the best advice is play the class with the flavor and mechanics you like best and dont get mad if they nerf your class or feel too bad if your class seems underpowered at the start as these things will likely change as time goes on.

The best thing to do is find all the different weapons your class can use and experiment with every combination untill you find something that suits your playstyle.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    thx for responses. I will try Mesmer as my first character as see how it goes :)
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Mesmers, like all professions in GW2, aren't DPS, control or support. They're a blend based on the skills at your disposal, and each profession has unique ways to achieve those goals. Don't think in terms of roles, think in terms of what your skills do and when to use them.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

I played one for 70% of the beta time, and then changed to a thief.

The mesmer isn't that well thought out at the moment. its utility skills are a mixed bag and the trait lines need some work.

as for playstyle at present their are some really effective mesmer builds but they are quite pigeonholed. In terms of illusions, and shatters this still needs a lot of work.

One of the biggest issue is that the deception factor in pvp only goes so far. Once I had played one in two bwe's I come up against them in pvp on my thief, and knowing how the class works I could instantly sort through the clones and find the real one. 

I'd highly recommend playing them they are fun but I'm going to revisit it myself about 2 months after launch as I think it needs (and will get) some additional work from arena net to give it more variability in builds.

p.s pick up a staff and don't look back!

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I have experience with mesmers in early levels. My Impressions were that I had to work a lot harder to do the same thing as other classes in pve. Who know if that is the case later on.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Played my mesmer into the 40s, almost purely PvE. Loved every second of it. No clue what people are talking about with them sucking in PvE, mine was absolutely obliterating everything with a Staff/GS build and taking a lot of damage as well, since I was bumping defensive traits only once I hit 10 power.

In the first few levels though, it was hard. I'd say by the time I unlocked all the skills for my staff/gs and got weapon swapping (level 7ish) I was good to go.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

If your primarily into pve sword/pistol with dueling traited is the way to go for best burst dps while soloing.  Not the best burst dps prof but mesmer has a ton of "oh shit" abilities to get you out of any sticky situation.  I switch to staff for multiple mobs attacking or group events.  Staff has awesome group buffing, debuffing, and survivability all in one.  IMO, it's tricky to learn at first but once you get the flow of how mesmer works you can faceroll.  In spvp, mesmer dominates right now.  But like someone else said it's likely that people just don't know how to fight them.  I get a kick watching people go after my clones thinking it's me while I'm stacking conditions.  Before they know it they're done for.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube