Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game still cpu-bound?

zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92
Last stress test, i mean yesterday it was still like that i think. Is that true or i don't why my fps is too low.

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Speire
    Last stress test, i mean yesterday it was still like that i think. Is that true or i don't why my fps is too low.

No, it isn't still cpu bound, but its not possible to answer why your fps is low if you don't give your computer specs.

• necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80

not according to anet.  recent anet  blog entry that doesnt really spell out anything clearly

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/bill-freist-talks-optimization-and-performance/

hope it helps

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

This article might give you some answers: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/bill-freist-talks-optimization-and-performance/

Oh necro beat me by a second. I must post faster next time. :p

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Reference:

Q8400

8 Gigs DDR2

NVidia Geforce GTX 560

40+ FPS in low population ares

25+ FPS in Lion's Arch

Was running under <20 FPS when it was CPU bound

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I updated to the recommended new nVidia Beta drivers like the game client suggested and my performance was markedly improved. After they got some bugs out last night was one of the smoothest performances, graphically speaking, that I have seen out of the game.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Roybe

Reference:

Q8400

8 Gigs DDR2

NVidia Geforce GTX 560

40+ FPS in low population ares

25+ FPS in Lion's Arch

Was running under <20 FPS when it was CPU bound

Yeah...make sure you get beta driver 304.72...much better performance.

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Runs smokin on both my Radeon machines
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by LifeEnder

That's never good. I reccomend checking your airflow and cooling accordingly

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Toxia

What is this airflow you speak of ?  A Mystical force to cool off CPUs and GPUs ?

• necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80
    you mean im not supposed to toast sandwiches on my cpu?  i thought thats what the grills were for, sammich cubano!
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

What is this airflow you speak of ?  A Mystical force to cool off CPUs and GPUs ?

But if you cooled it,  it wouldn't be smokin.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

But if you cooled it,  it wouldn't be smokin.

I think the last time I saw a component smoke was a socket 475 under peltier cooling. More like combust there though .

• BillyJimBobBillyJimBob Member Posts: 35

Like this kind of airflow?

Originally posted by BillyJimBob

Not my cup of tea , Been a LIan li user for 20 years , old habits are hard to break. I am fond of the corsair boxes though . Ive had 2 of those in the last 10 months .

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

Oh i'm playing it on my laptop which has,

• i3 2.4 ghz processor
    • 3 gb ddr3 1066mhz ram
    • 512 mb ati mobility 5470 video card
    i don't have desktop computer so i'm trying to play at lowest setting no shadow and all others low. but still 10-15 fps during wvwvw. when i checked out the guildwars2.exe in taskmgr the percentage of using cpu was %80.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Don't expect good fps in large WvW battles with anything less than an i5. The game also seems to be more optimized for intel CPU's.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by BillyJimBob

Not my cup of tea , Been a LIan li user for 20 years , old habits are hard to break. I am fond of the corsair boxes though . Ive had 2 of those in the last 10 months .

Lian Li is good chit but I'll stick to my Silver Stone everyday of the week for performance vs price.

Originally posted by jusomdude
    Don't expect good fps in large WvW battles with anything less than an i5. The game also seems to be more optimized for intel CPU's.

I seriously don't mean to harp on you Jusomdude but even Quiz (the one who helped you, among many of us, decide on what to build) will tell you that if overall performance is what you are seeking Intel i5 is the way to go (actually above i5 currently nets you zero gain in most PC games due to lack of utilization of i7's "virtual" cores).

You don't only need an i5, but one of the higher end ones. IMO it's a dumb move for them to write off all AMD users.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I ran the game in windowed mode to test this using a software GPU meter and the game is using most of my GPU memory. Card is a ATI 6800 series

I miss DAoC

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

Should we be using beta drivers for ATI cards?

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

Oh i'm playing it on my laptop which has,

• i3 2.4 ghz processor
    • 3 gb ddr3 1066mhz ram
    • 512 mb ati mobility 5470 video card
    i don't have desktop computer so i'm trying to play at lowest setting no shadow and all others low. but still 10-15 fps during wvwvw. when i checked out the guildwars2.exe in taskmgr the percentage of using cpu was %80.

And what was the usage of your GPU?

You don't only need an i5, but one of the higher end ones. IMO it's a dumb move for them to write off all AMD users.

You are missing the point here.  AMD vs Intel is not the actual argument, per say.  The current generation of Intel Chips simply exceed the AMD's versions.  Which is the exact reason for the cost difference.  My Intel i5 a couple months ago, hell even today, and still costs around $200.  Please look to the following article, or do your own search, for why AMD just can't compete with Intel.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313652-28-perormance-core-2500k-3850

I'm sorry you chose an AMD chip and are now unsatisfied with the performance but I'm faily confidenet (without looking back at old posts) that Quiz explained the trade off you should expect from making said choice.  In todays' market the i5 reigns KING in the CPU world for PC gaming.  Whether or not this continues into the the future no one knows but based on history we can at least expect that AMD will remain the "budget" CPU while Intel will keep it's place on the throne until proven otherwise.

My point is, the game shouldn't be so damn CPU dependent where no other game is. This processor has served me fine for every other game I've played, and it's ridiculous that I should have to upgrade for one particular game.

It's an issue being that ANet hasn't properly balanced between needed CPU power and GPU power.

the i5 is pretty much overkill for any other game on the market.

And even Quizz thought is was ridiculous that my CPU isn't able to handle it in his last post.

My point is, the game shouldn't be so damn CPU dependent where no other game is. This processor has served me fine for every other game I've played, and it's ridiculous that I should have to upgrade for one particular game.

It's an issue being that ANet hasn't properly balanced between needed CPU power and GPU power.

the i5 is pretty much overkill for any other game on the market.

And even Quizz thought is was ridiculous that my CPU isn't able to handle it in his last post.

Which if you read my last post (I honestly don't recall if it was in this thread or the other one that point) you will see that the CPU vs GPU issue is one that ANET has yet to decide on.  Then again I also stated that regardless of their decision if you expect no issues in WvWvW you will probably have to give in some area.

Quiz is without a doubt the most knowledgeable on these boards when it comes to hardware knowledge but even he/she can be wrong when it comes to software performance, due to its unpredictability, and most likely will the first to tell you so when proven otherwise.