Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Sales Estimates - 1st Month / 1st Year

Comments

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

1st month = ~2 mil.

after 12 months = ~3 mil.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

First month? 3 million

Twelve months? 5.5 million

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Don't compare it to mop numbers for info. My whole guild is going to play mop, but none of us (as of yesterday) has bought it yet. MoP numbers will rise substantially as we get closer to its launch.
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Gw2 numbers:
    1st month 2.5m
    1st year 3.5m
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

1st day - over 1.45 million

1st month - over 2 million

1st year - over 4-6 million :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Hmm it can go a few ways.

1st scenerio , 1 million prepurchases already - lots of WoW players and other mmo playres buy it on release day and GW2 may hit 2 or 3 million mark within a few days.
    4.5 million players before 2013

2nd scenerio 1 million prepurchases already maybe 1 million other players buy it on release day and we hit 2 million.
    3 million players before 2013

3trd scenerio 1 million player at launch and a few hunred thousand players join from now till christmass.
    2 million players before 2013

I tend to bet on Scenerio 1 or 2 or something in between those.

But i woulnt amaze me if they sell 6 million copy's before the end of 2012.
    Alot of mmo players are aiming a switch from other mmo's.

If WoW's playerbase (many of witch are going to try GW2) they can realy end up with retarded box sales.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Mykai

I'd like to hear other people's estimates for GW2 sales in the 1st month and 1st year.  Here is my guess:

1st Month:  5 Million Copies (includes pre-purchases)

1st Year:  15 Million Copies

These might seem a little overly optimistic, but I'm betting that word of mouth will play a big role shortly after release.  Either way, I think it's fun to discuss.

VERY optimistic.

I see 1.3 million box sales the first month and 3 million by the end of the year.  From there I can only guess but I would wager it plateauing off around 4-6 million sales over the course of the life of the game.

Where do I get my numbers?  Well the 1 million is already known and it isnt unreasonable to think that word of mouth will get them another 300k that first month.  The 3 million comes from several industry insiders, most notably an Asian company, and not to sound too racist but if theres one things those Asians know, its numbers. 

Disclaimer: the last sentence was all in jest and good fun and not to be taken as me being insensitive.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Always a bad idea trying to predict things, but it's a bit o fun so....

The NCSoft guys said expected 3.1 million around launch - I don't have any reason to disagree with him - he knows more about it than I do after all.

So let's say 3 million in the first 3-month shakedown period.

After that with the one caveat that players regard the game as having longevity I would predict a fast rise in numbers as Guild migrations kick in from other MMO's.

So let's say 6 million by Q3 2013.

After that - I would expect numbers to go up steadily if the game is well supported and expansions come out at a decent pace.

I would say the game will cap at ~8 million based on this. Purely speculating I would say it may rise above this, but it depends so very much of the games staying power, and this is not known.

If you think these numbers are too high - look no further than the global financial crash and the lack of money in people's pockets before judging that monthly sub-games will be preferred in the numbers they are now. I think the ANet financial model is as well-positioned as their design philosophy (albeit in this case accidentally) and it will increase their success.

Additionally - and this cannot be stressed enough - the gaming population is getting older on average and has increasing levels of intolerance to time-sink game design. This makes GW2 golden in their eyes.

Just my two pennies on the subject....

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

I'd be surprised if the total sales/preorders to date is less than 1 million but for all we know it could be pushing 2 million by now. It's not authoritative but to be in the amazon position they are and have been in for a couple to three months, and tellingly above MOP..

Yeah MOP is a month away but GW2 went on sale months ago and instantly took top positions on multiple stores worldwide.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

A good estimate about the copies sold through the official site by August 17th:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yeacs/to_anyone_who_has_ordered_from_gw2com_in_the_last/

By the end of the first year... eh, who knows. Perhaps around 4.5 millions.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Whatever the figure will be, after all these BWE and stress tests they are going to get slated if the launch doesnt go smooth.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

2 million within the first month including pre-order.

End of the first year, less than 100,000 subscribers.

:-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

First month? 3 million

Twelve months? 5.5 million

Yep, something along those lines.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I'm terrible at guessing these things.  I would guess 5 million after the first year.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

1st month 2-3 million

1st year 4-7 Million

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by gieger808

We'll see big box number sales, but low average population. Bad game? No.

No sub fee, so most will use it as a second game. Once the shine wears off.

It's fun and actiony, but not the kind of mmorpg you would call home. It can be played off and on due to the lack of gear progression. You can't get "behind" like in other mmorpgs.

It's a good thing. It's fun and doesn't require any real commitment.

There is a big flaw in this kind of thinking. If what you say was true people wouldn't leave Rift, SWTOR and all those other mmos with big progression.

1st month: 1.5-2 mil.

1st year.. maybe 3kk-4kk?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    1.7 mill at launch.  Swtor was 2.4 and is still more well known.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by bcbully

Huh? I thought 1.7mil was the confirmed number after 1 month for TOR? Did I miss another press release?

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    3-5mil total copies for guild wars 2 for both the first month or 1st year.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I would like to believe your guesstimates, but that is way to high. 

I would say 2.5 and 4.0 million

I can believe that, yes. OPs guesses just dont seems realistic.

My guess for total sales is twice that of GW1: 7 million accounts about 16 million boxes with expansions and campaigns but that is for the entire games lifetime.

The game is a lot more hyped and have a whole lot of better budget than the first game so tice the number of boxes sold does not seems too far off.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by bcbully

Huh? I thought 1.7mil was the confirmed number after 1 month for TOR? Did I miss another press release?

They say 2.4 boxes were sold in that first month.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Kind of hard to predict sales but I will bite hope someone revives this thread when the year is up.

First month 2 to 3 mill copies

First year I would say 6-7+ depends on how well launch does and how many keep playing how many migrate from other MMO's and how well ArenaNet ban gold farmers if they actively ban people then sales will go up.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Mykai

I'd like to hear other people's estimates for GW2 sales in the 1st month and 1st year.  Here is my guess:

1st Month:  5 Million Copies (includes pre-purchases)

1st Year:  15 Million Copies

These might seem a little overly optimistic, but I'm betting that word of mouth will play a big role shortly after release.  Either way, I think it's fun to discuss.

Good gawd have mercy bro!

If it sold that many in the first month nobody would be able to log in!

Im going to go conservative and say 2 to 3 million the first month and 7 million and growing fast by a year..

Playing GW2..

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by gieger808

No sub fee, so most will use it as a second game. Once the shine wears off.

Someone still thinks this way? That the sub model is which determines if someone plays a game primarily or not? Any gamer will play the game they find most fun, I personally dont care about sub fee or no sub fee, I play what is good.

To me no sub fee, and no gear grind, are both things that will actually make this game more primary game than any other mmorpg I've played to date, not the other way around. One of the biggest problems in WoW to me was that I didnt have enough spare time or will to grind gear on all fronts to stay competitive, and that's when the game becomes just a chatroom with friends. Also, sub fee prevents me from checking back on games after updates etc, since I definately wont pay 15€ everytime I just want to check in, that's not a problem in sub-less games.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I think I can say with 100% certainty it wil sell at least one copy and less than a trillion copies.

I miss DAoC