Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Sales Estimates - 1st Month / 1st Year

MykaiMykai Member Posts: 13

I'd like to hear other people's estimates for GW2 sales in the 1st month and 1st year.  Here is my guess:

1st Month:  5 Million Copies (includes pre-purchases)

1st Year:  15 Million Copies

These might seem a little overly optimistic, but I'm betting that word of mouth will play a big role shortly after release.  Either way, I think it's fun to discuss.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

lol, you are a very optimistic person.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I would like to believe your guesstimates, but that is way to high. 

I would say 2.5 and 4.0 million

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

200 gajillion copies.

Um...I think like 4 million in the first month.   That might be slightly ambitious but maybe not since it seems like it just keeps picking up more steam.

First year I don't even know.   There's a chance it'll just do "very well" and there's also an off chance it truly does become the next huge thing.   I don't know which will happen.

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157

1.4 overninethousandillion

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I would like to believe your guesstimates, but that is way to high. 

I would say 2.5 and 4.0 million

That sounds about right. Maybe a little higher on the end, 2.5 and 5 million.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

We'll see big box number sales, but low average population. Bad game? No.

No sub fee, so most will use it as a second game. Once the shine wears off.

It's fun and actiony, but not the kind of mmorpg you would call home. It can be played off and on due to the lack of gear progression. You can't get "behind" like in other mmorpgs.

It's a good thing. It's fun and doesn't require any real commitment.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The funny thing is, in some thread a month or so ago, Atlan99 and me made a bet. I predicted a really high number (6 million) in the first 2 months. He said no way. And he is almost certainly correct. If he wins the bet, my sig will forever be:

"SWTOR is the greatest game ever made!"

Or something like that. I think it'll see a huge amount of copies just based on the B2P nature of the game. What's cool right now is we get to find out what happens in a few days. Week 1 sales will likely be pretty huge. What happens after week 1 is anyone's guess imo.

• MykaiMykai Member Posts: 13

2.5 Million strikes me as a bit low considering it already hit 1 Million pre-purchases back in mid-july and has been among the top selling PC games on Amazon for quite some time now.  Not to mention, many people (including multiple friends) are waiting to see the reviews post-launch before they dive in...

I'm sticking with my 5 million after the first month.  I'll come back here then and revive this thread regardless of whether I'm spot on or super-crazy optimistic with my outlook...

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Realistically speaking I think they have sold more than 1 copy, but that's just a guess. image 
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Mykai

I'd like to hear other people's estimates for GW2 sales in the 1st month and 1st year.  Here is my guess:

I'm betting that word of mouth will play a big role after the first month or so.

No freaking way.  2 million at the 30-day mark is insane to think about in this day and age of MMOs.  And let's see GW2 survive the first three months of release before even thinking past that.  It can all go down the drain in a hurry if ArenaNet mis-manages the game after launch.

I like GW2, but let's respect the recent history of MMO launches before throwing 7 and 8 digit numbers out there.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

First Month: 2-3.5 million.

First year: 3.5-7 million.

Not including Asian regionalization and launch, but including all sales world wide utilizing the US and EU datacenters.

I know that GW2 is supposed to release up to a year after the Western Release in the East, while Blade&Soul will release in the west around the same time. How well B&S does in Asia may influence the timing of the GW2 Asia release. Sooner if B&S disappoints, later if it's a relly strong product in the market.

GW2 sales could increase considerably by the one year mark if the Asia release takes place during year one.

I also see potential for upside to the Western numbers, but a lot will depend on how well mmo gamers adapt to GW2's game design. For me, GW2 has ruined most other MMOs, but some people may be so married to the status quo MMO design that they may not successfully adapt to GW2. I consider this in my numbers.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by colddog04

The funny thing is, in some thread a month or so ago, Atlan99 and me made a bet. I predicted a really high number (6 million) in the first 2 months. He said no way. And he is almost certainly correct. If he wins the bet, my sig will forever be:

"SWTOR is the greatest game ever made!"

Or something like that. I think it'll see a huge amount of copies just based on the B2P nature of the game. What's cool right now is we get to find out what happens in a few days. Week 1 sales will likely be pretty huge. What happens after week 1 is anyone's guess imo.

lol, classic. For your sake, I hope it starts selling big time. That is humiliating. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

2.5 Million strikes me as a bit low considering it already hit 1 Million pre-purchases back in mid-july and has been among the top selling PC games on Amazon for quite some time now.

I am just going by Cataclysm numbers, 4.7 in the first month. I am not saying it won't top 4.7 I just think it unlikely.

2.5 sounds about right. If it sells more; good for the game and good for the industry.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

These might seem a little overly optimistic, but I'm betting that word of mouth will play a big role shortly after release.  Either way, I think it's fun to discuss.

1st month(including pre-purchases): 4.5 Million

1st year: 9 million

2nd year: 15 million

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Over 9000!!!

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

2.5 Million strikes me as a bit low considering it already hit 1 Million pre-purchases back in mid-july and has been among the top selling PC games on Amazon for quite some time now.

I am just going by Cataclysm numbers, 4.7 in the first month. I am not saying it won't top 4.7 I just think it unlikely.

2.5 sounds about right. If it sells more; good for the game and good for the industry.

Well, considering GW2 is in the top 5 best PC sellers on Amazon atm, with MoP below GW2 standard edition, it'd be a safe bet it's getting over Catclysm numbers.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

1.5 million 1st month

3 million by end of the 2012  (4 months later)

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm going with around lots (ish)...    give or take...   some

I do want to say, that when GW2 outsells MoP I will be celebrating with 5 million other people or maybe even more.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by gieger808

We'll see big box number sales, but low average population. Bad game? No.

No sub fee, so most will use it as a second game. Once the shine wears off.

It's fun and actiony, but not the kind of mmorpg you would call home. It can be played off and on due to the lack of gear progression. You can't get "behind" like in other mmorpgs.

It's a good thing. It's fun and doesn't require any real commitment.

Are you serious? This is the only MMO in the last five years I've been ble to play for more than 80 total hours before wanting to bale. Between all events I'm now over the 150 hour mark, with no MMO fatigue. I saved some zones for launch, so that I'd have fresh content when the game goes live. However, I love the zones I have played, and played, so much I will be retracing my bet steps on my first character and saving some of the other zones for months down the road.

That's what has me so hooked on this game. Finally, an MMO I want to call home. An MMO I can easily see myself hitting and exceeding the 1,000 hour /played mark during year one! In recent years, I've had to be satisfied if an MMO would provide me with 60 hours of game play to justify the box price. I had almost given up on finding an MMO I would want to play for months or years.

I fully expect that a much larger percentage of GW2 purchasers will still be playing in 6-12 months than we have seen with any MMO since WoW.

This IS, finally, an MMO to "get behind" and immerse one's self in. In many ways, this is the MMO I've been hoping for since I first started playing MMOs almost 14 years ago. The game isn't perfect, but it actually puts the genre back on the path I hoped and envisioned the genre would follow through generational improvements and the support of more and more powerful hardware.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MykaiMykai Member Posts: 13
    I appreciate the conservative numbers Nadia, but if GW2 doesn't have 1.5 million sales just including release day sales and pre-purchases, then I'll be a monkey's uncle...so long as you provide the monkey.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    rofl is this a troll post ?  Ill be SHOCKED if GW2 even has 1m preorders right now let alone that many after 30 days.   I fully expect it to sell 3-4m in the first year though.  You guys need to adjust your expectations the game will not sustain the playerbase over time but thats ok because its b2p.
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Well, considering GW2 is in the top 5 best PC sellers on Amazon atm, with MoP below GW2 standard edition, it'd be a safe bet it's getting over Catclysm numbers.

While I get your point, I was talking about Cataclysm numbers, a highly anticipated expansion. Not Mists, a highly criticized expansion.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    I'm going to say 3.5 to 5.5 million.
    Originally posted by William12
      You guys need to adjust your expectations 

Good point, if players are expecting 15 million copies sold in the first year, they are very likely to be disapointed at the "Failure" of selling 5 million copies. (Even though that would be a great number for an MMO)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    I'm going to say 3.5 to 5.5 million.

I agree.