Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3's Jay Wilson Tells Diablo 2 Designer, Fans To F*ck Offl

Comments

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Just adds to the hate!

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49
    Actually the article is wildly misleading.  The comment was by Jay Wilson (D3 Game Director) and were directed at statements made by David Brevik (Blizz North, from back in the day).  The comments were definately not directed at fans so to imply that is simply wrong. Not saying that I condone Jay Wilson's comments, since they definately lack professionalism, but the comments should be presented in context.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Carnafex
    Actually the article is wildly misleading.  The comment was by Jay Wilson (D3 Game Director) and were directed at statements made by David Brevik (Blizz North, from back in the day).  The comments were definately not directed at fans so to imply that is simply wrong. Not saying that I condone Jay Wilson's comments, since they definately lack professionalism, but the comments should be presented in context.

Now will the op edit his post? I doubt it.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

David Breviks fans and followers will of course think it was directed at them. They think the game would be better if he was the developer. And that D3 is bad because Jay Wilson and his team dont know how a ARPG should be designed.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    If your opinions are the same as those of Brevik, the Wilson middle finger post is definitely aimed in the same direction.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    this is way too much unprofessional for someone who calls himself game director http://i.imgur.com/mVhWE.png
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Hurvart

David Breviks fans and followers will of course think it was directed at them. They think the game would be better if he was the developer. And that D3 is bad because Jay Wilson and his team dont know how a ARPG should be designed.

Which is true.

The game sold on brand-name alone.

Hell most of WOW's success was ex-D2 (and EQ1) players jumping ship after three years or so. In three years D3 won't even be in the bargin bin with the Shadowbane and SWG install discs.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Cinatrot

Which is true.

The game sold on brand-name alone.

Hell most of WOW's success was ex-D2 (and EQ1) players jumping ship after three years or so. In three years D3 won't even be in the bargin bin with the Shadowbane and SWG install discs.

Like a boss, told those fans "my way or the highway!", told the very people who made the franchise what it is to F OFF.

I think I'll start a lightbulb company and then go on Facebook to rant about how stupid Thomas Edison was ...Mmmkay?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

"don't worry about it. you made the fastest selling pc game of all time. he made hellgate: london."

i think that highlights nicely what's wrong with the industry in general. if sales are the only metric of success, and the only motivator to make a game you're not going to make a very good game.

also, in the context of the fb post his "f--- that loser" looks to be more along the lines of trying to cheer up his friend rather than a comment about the article itself. "ignore him" sorta thing rather than "he's wrong! d3 is awesome! everyone who thinks otherwise sucks!" i think that that's the opinion of steven parker and andrew silvernail though.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

LOL!    Jay Wilson's hate will be justified if "Titan" project lives up to expectations.

Also Jay needs to stfu about D2 fans , if it weren't for D2 , D3 wouldn't of been sold out and back ordered on it's first day of release. 

Would really like to have a face to face with him and his D3 crew , he can even bring the whole Blizzard team to even things out.

LOL! What a dumb scum bag.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I didn't know either of those names before reading this article, so i have no bias either way.

All i can say is that given the state of the game, i think its pretty apparent that this Jay Wilson and his team clearly have no fucking clue how to design a proper ARPG as evidenced by the overwhelming majority of people who feel that D3 was a failure post release.

And please, don't cite sales numbers as some kind of proof of quality.  People regularly buy products to find out said products are shit.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

LOL!    Jay Wilson's hate will be justified if "Titan" project lives up to expectations.

?

Last I knew he wasn't part of project titan. Or do you mean he will the the butt-end of Blizzard when Titan takes off?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by atticusbc

"don't worry about it. you made the fastest selling pc game of all time. he made hellgate: london."

i think that highlights nicely what's wrong with the industry in general. if sales are the only metric of success, and the only motivator to make a game you're not going to make a very good game.

also, in the context of the fb post his "f--- that loser" looks to be more along the lines of trying to cheer up his friend rather than a comment about the article itself. "ignore him" sorta thing rather than "he's wrong! d3 is awesome! everyone who thinks otherwise sucks!" i think that that's the opinion of steven parker and andrew silvernail though.

Agreed. Though this is primarily Blizzard's D3 crew and not WOW's crew, I think it does speak volumes as to the degree of "decay" within Blizzard. I already wasn't going to continue playing WOW, due to GW2, but after reading this article and seeing the attitude of many of these devs, I'm somewhat disgusted with Blizzard (very much to the same degree as EA disgusts me). Sad... so sad.

• DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

While i totally get all the hate for Jay (cause i hate him too) i really don't see why everyone is getting in line to shove their head up Brevik's ass. The guy really was a sorry loser.

You do know that a good amount of the Blizz North is still working at Blizz yes? That guy wasn't just taking a pot shot at the new team he was trashing his former colleagues as well. Read the second and third para of this post to get some insight.

And of course he's glad that D3 didn't do well. When you can't come up with anything good yourself, the next best thing is to put others down to make yourself feel good.

Failgate London and the vaporware Mythos, both pieces of shit created by him and supposed to be the "spiritual successors" to Diablo 2. And now he says his next Marvel game is gonna be a "spiritual successor"? He's the one milking the Diablo name for all is worth and coming up way short.

Jay apologised for his F-bomb in the post i linked above, pretty much because he had to. I still don't like him though. He ruined a damn good franchise and 1.0.4 D3 could have easily been the D3 at launch were it not for his arrogance. 

But Dave Brevik is no better. What the hell has he accomplished after he left the Blizz North? Its one thing to use the D2 name to sell every piece of shit you make, and then you go and laugh at the very people who helped you make D2? My response to his post would have been the same. 

F*** that loser.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Just wanna point out Deathspank, the only one he gave the name to in that thread didn't actually work on Diablo or Diablo 2.

In fact it is true overall to say that the people who did Diablo and Diablo 2 were not part of Diablo 3 and also say that people from Blizzard North worked on Diablo 3 without contradiction.

How? Well fact is after Brevik and others trickled out and left others filled the old roles while trying to make a Diablo 3 title. That attempt failed. It was in fact a new team at that point working under the old name. Blizzard north closed and the people there shifted over to the release of a few other games and then they started on Diablo 3 again.

Now there is some fair corrections to make on Brevik's side too. Namely that their team couldn't debug for shit. Both the diablo titles had to be reworked and corrected over a good period of time after initial development, and that is also partially why patches were slow too.

However. When addressing later titles like 'failgate london', Mythos, and now the Marvel game, as well as fair to mention the rest on Torchlight you have to account for the fact they had a pretty low budget. Especially compared to the likes of Diablo 3.

Add to that the fact that they were resultingly operating on a short timeline, there was only so much polish they could put on Hellgate before release. Just jumping out and calling it a piece of shit does not really giv the game merit or address it's actual qualities.

Was it a buggy mess? Yes. 

However, did it have an interesting mixed take on gameplay? I think so.

It had a decent crafting system, an upgrade system to partially tailor items, was open to multiple very different playstyles, and while rocky at forst did manage to fix that terrible leveling curve before it's first death.

Problem is it didn't have the butget or people necessary to fix everything, and no one was going to be patient enough to get the entire game ironed out. Especially when a p2p model was being dangled above it all.

Given your lumping mythos in with hellgate, even if you didn't like hellgate's gameplay it's fair to assume you didn't try mythos and are just going by easiest means to slander.

The people working most on mythos went off to make torchlight, what they considered completing their work on mythos.

Is Brevik milking the Diablo name as well as Jay? Sure. But before you rail on a rant and take what one person says, know a bit more history. What jay says in that post is a bit on the deceptive side.

EDIT: To put a practical example in I will note that Wyatt Cheng, the one person Jay mentioned by name, never worked on Diablo  or Diablo 2. He got hired in from another studio and worked on a few canceled games at Blizzard North, one of them being Diablo 3, but he did not work on the previous titles. What he had worked on previous to those and Diablo 3 was a flight sim and shortly the WoW expansion Burning Crusade.

So referring to him as being part of Blizzard North or any of the rest of them says very little when it comes to who was actually part of making Diablo and Diablo 2.

This isn't meant to change anyone's opinion, but if you're gonna do some homework then also do the rest of it.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Btw Jay Wilson never told Fans to F**k off. He told Brevik to F**k off. Thread title is deceiving.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Btw Jay Wilson never told Fans to F**k off. He told Brevik to F**k off. Thread title is deceiving.

Basically the same thing.  Brevik was a Diablo fan.  Wilson is a D$ fan.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.