Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What If (Poll) #51231

azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

If they made a subscription plan and gave everything in the cash shop an in-game gold value, how much would you pay per month?

EDIT : This wouldn't change the ability to buy the game and play for free until the end of time, or the ability to buy 1 or 2 things once in a while from the cash shop, it would just add the option for us to play a flat fee and be able to buy items from the cash shop without having to go through people selling gems.

Just a thought, it could apply to any game really .. not meant to start a war on cash shops, just curious what those of use that are willing to pay a sub fee would pay in a case like that.

Feel free to add other subscription incentives if you like .. but try and assume that it would fit into their system, where basically everyone gets access to all content, except what's in the cash shop.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Comments

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

I realize it's purley theoretical question, but... the game wouldnt work as subscription game. Subscription enforces certain design decissions that aren't present in Guild Wars because Guild Wars, from the start of ArenaNet was built around the idea of lack of subscription fee. 

So I don't know how much I'd be willing ot pay for a game that would be GW built for subscription. I don't even know if I'd like that game. 

• I chose $0 because after GW2, the only way to justify a subscription fee in my mind is if there were a team of GM's in-game on every server constantly altering the game experience with new and random content around the clock.  Then I could see the need for it.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Another 1 of these post's again? really.....
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I don't play subscription games.  If GW2 was subscription based, I'd consider it, but ultimately I wouldn't play it.  So I voted $0.  There is no reason the game needs a subscription (in fact, there's no reason any game needs one), it's much better to allow players to choose when, and how much they want to spend on the game.

....and, for clarification, since you can buy gems with in game gold, everything in the CS essentially does have an in game gold price on it.  It only depends on the exchange rate.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I'd rather only pay once for my bag slots, I mean there is very little I think I'd buy from the cash shop.
  • CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    $0 I don't play sub games

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    p2p 15 bucks baby

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm done with sub games, I marked it 0.
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Poll is biased, option 5 and 6 are the same, doesn't matter how many ','s and '0's you put in front of that 1, it's still 1 dollar. Poll validity in question, thus poll won't work. I demand a recount.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Sixpax
    I chose $0 because after GW2, the only way to justify a subscription fee in my mind is if there were a team of GM's in-game on every server constantly altering the game experience with new and random content around the clock.  Then I could see the need for it.

image image

Yep even faster then Rift. Rift tho does to me earn their income, tho i do support you in your statement, really no sub is needed to be successful and subs are often the reason for excessive extrensions of things that should never be like work. (ie rep grind, currency for gear grind etc. I got to the max level in Rift and found that all of the gear outside of raiding was extensively difficult to get without spending hours a week working at it.)

• The premise of your poll is flawed and you need to re do this thread unless you messing with people's head who don't realize this

Everything in the Gem store DOES have an in game gold price because gems can be exchanged for gold.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Ezhae

I realize it's purley theoretical question, but... the game wouldnt work as subscription game. Subscription enforces certain design decissions that aren't present in Guild Wars because Guild Wars, from the start of ArenaNet was built around the idea of lack of subscription fee. 

So I don't know how much I'd be willing ot pay for a game that would be GW built for subscription. I don't even know if I'd like that game. 

I put in 9000 just because I don't give a flip anymore since the game will be coming out in 2 days :P

But I totally agree with Ezhae here. Colin, Matt, and a few others from Anet has specifically stated a few times that they would not want their games subscription based, because that locks them into restictions that they dont want to have (as well as being bad for the customer).

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I have to say I probably wouldn't play either.

Sub games are viscious.  If they do well, you get LESS content.  Look at WoW, it has over 10 million subs.  That's 30 or more times almost all of its competitors.  Does it even put out TWICE the content of other games?  No.  And what's worse it then charges for expansions!

It also encourages bad development in terms of creating grinds to keep people playing.

If it didn't encourage any of that and they'd guarantee a certain amount of content coming out, then I'd be willing to pay the appropriate amount for that content.  But you see, that works a lot better when you just pay for the content when it shows up rather than pay in advance for content you might never ever see.

Seriously, think about the WoW thing for a moment.  30 times more money than any other MMO.  They make WoW's original box fee on every sub 3 times a year, which in profit is like 4-5 games worth of content.  And it has the numbers so that's actually a respectable sale for a name brand game or two each year.  They literally make enough money to churn out content faster than any human could ever consume it all.  They make enough money to not need any grinds.  New content after new content could be coming out instead, with innovation after innovation.

But then they couldn't pocket all that money.  So why bother?  They'll just make treadmills for the players to run in instead, and very, very slowly put out new content.  It isn't even worth it to have non-progression content coming out at a regular pace.

I don't want to deal with another game doing that.  So no sub fees ever again for me.  It just encourages the worst sort of behavior.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    NO SUBS THANX

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I'd pay roughly around 6 750 056 500 € / a month.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by wtvr123
    GW2 with a sub would die just as fast as swtor, tera, tsw(about 1-2 months).

if you read the original post, and got that I was saying, what would you pay if GW2 changed to a purely sub-based model, than you read it wrong.

the question was simply, if they added the ability to pay $x a month to be able to essentially bypass the need to pay real money when you wanted sunglasses .. for those of us that may want all of the sunglasses for example, and all of the hats .. or more to the point someone who would rather pay a flat price and not worry about which cosmetic gear to spend money on .. how much would those people be willing to spend?

it wouldn't change your ability to buy the game and play completely free until the end of time if that is your wish.

and yes, I have heard that you will be able to essentially do this by paying gold for gems ... but it would make me a lot happier to not even have to worry about it in those terms. I much prefer to not have to go through the routine of essentially paying people in game money for real game money for items. Id rather just pay a flat fee and buy items as I want them.

I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by eggy08
    Poll is biased, option 5 and 6 are the same, doesn't matter how many ','s and '0's you put in front of that 1, it's still 1 dollar. Poll validity in question, thus poll won't work. I demand a recount.

so just add the percentages in your head ..

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Ezhae

Exactly this.

GW2 isnt designed with the carrot on a stick mentality that most sub based MMO's are and hence wouldnt work.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Ezhae I realize it's purley theoretical question, but... the game wouldnt work as subscription game. Subscription enforces certain design decissions that aren't present in Guild Wars because Guild Wars, from the start of ArenaNet was built around the idea of lack of subscription fee.  So I don't know how much I'd be willing ot pay for a game that would be GW built for subscription. I don't even know if I'd like that game. 
    Exactly this.

GW2 isnt designed with the carrot on a stick mentality that most sub based MMO's are and hence wouldnt work.

again ...

Originally posted by azmundai
    Originally posted by wtvr123
    GW2 with a sub would die just as fast as swtor, tera, tsw(about 1-2 months).

if you read the original post, and got that I was saying, what would you pay if GW2 changed to a purely sub-based model, than you read it wrong.

the question was simply, if they added the ability to pay $x a month to be able to essentially bypass the need to pay real money when you wanted sunglasses .. for those of us that may want all of the sunglasses for example, and all of the hats .. or more to the point someone who would rather pay a flat price and not worry about which cosmetic gear to spend money on .. how much would those people be willing to spend?

it wouldn't change your ability to buy the game and play completely free until the end of time if that is your wish.

and yes, I have heard that you will be able to essentially do this by paying gold for gems ... but it would make me a lot happier to not even have to worry about it in those terms. I much prefer to not have to go through the routine of essentially paying people in game money for real game money for items. Id rather just pay a flat fee and buy items as I want them.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    I chose $0 because if I don't think the game is good enough to shell out $60 for a one-time box fee, I'm sure as hell not going to shell out a monthly fee as well.  
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    I chose $0 because if I don't think the game is good enough to shell out $60 for a one-time box fee, I'm sure as hell not going to shell out a monthly fee as well.  

Really hitting up the GW2 forums tonight eh buddy?  What's the matter, did your MMOs fail you?

interesting how out of the ~100 votes sofar which are about 40% who would pay something, and 50% who would pay zero, only 1 person who would pay has posted. and of those 2 pages of posts from people who wouldn't pay, most of them seem to assume I am saying they would have to pay .. meaning they clearly didn't understand the poll. Is it not clear that this wouldn't change anything for the 50% who don't want to pay a sub at all? or would it change things for them? the only way I can see it changing things for people who don't want to pay a sub is by making the number of people that have to pay in game money for their gems, less?