Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the advertising?

BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Where is the advertising campaign for Guild Wars 2?

IGN - nothing.

Gamespot - nothing.

PCGamer - "GW2 Week" but no advertising.

MMORPG.com - nothing.

Massively.com - nothing.

Even Forbes hasn't had an article in a week or so - which is odd they had so many there in the first place!

Where is the advertising campaign for GW2 Anet/NCSoft?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i still honestly think they got enough pre-purchased/pre-orders that they don't need to spend all that money on it.. but honestly it is a little strange as every other MMO had ads all over the week prior

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I mean seriously we are less than a week from Official launch and 2 days+ from head start - still nothing...
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i still honestly think they got enough pre-purchased/pre-orders that they don't need to spend all that money on it.. but honestly it is a little strange as every other MMO had ads all over the week prior

It doesn't make any sense... I've been waiting all week for the marketing campaign to finally kick in!

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

NCSoft tends to spend very little money on Marketing/Advertising, unlike EA/Blizzavision, which to me seems like a big mistake in this case.

Edit: That said: I still expect to see some cinematic/live-action trailer to pop up soon.

seems the BWEs was all the advertising they needed heh

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Alot

NCSoft tends to spend very little money on Marketing/Advertising, unlike EA/Blizzavision, which to me seems like a big mistake in this case.

Edit: That said: I still expect to see some cinematic/live-action trailer to pop up soon.

That eye picture with the mud covered skin or whatever certainly was interesting...

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

My guess is somewhere there's some Arenanet person flailing around going 'Oh god, oh god, we can't let any more people know about this game or our server infrastructure won't be able to take it.  Hold off the advertising campaign for a week or two!'

It'd be interesting if they release the game now, then do heavier advertising in a week or two.  That'd actually mean there'd be another wave of new people coming in. 

They have that whole eye-picture they keep teasing around, it seems like there might be some fancy trailer waiting in the wings that they just haven't gotten to yet.

(shrug)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I agree. There was another thread that asked a similar question, but people were saying there was advertising everywhere. I disagree. I think outside of the GW2 bubble, there is hardly any advertising at all. 

I don't know... maybe some analyst they trust told them that spending money on a big advertising campaign would not get them a good enough return on investment.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

It is the highlighted game in the PC section of gamestop's website!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Originally posted by Meowhead

My guess is somewhere there's some Arenanet person flailing around going 'Oh god, oh god, we can't let any more people know about this game or our server infrastructure won't be able to take it.  Hold off the advertising campaign for a week or two!'

It'd be interesting if they release the game now, then do heavier advertising in a week or two.  That'd actually mean there'd be another wave of new people coming in. 

They have that whole eye-picture they keep teasing around, it seems like there might be some fancy trailer waiting in the wings that they just haven't gotten to yet.

(shrug)

That'd certainly be a first and an interesting way to help insure a smooth launch for your faithful/hardcore fan base.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I mean seriously we are less than a week from Official launch and 2 days+ from head start - still nothing...

Why waste the money? Anyone who plays MMO's with any kind of regularity knows about GW2 and when it launches. Why spend quarter million, half million or more the week it launches? Thanks, but I'll let them put that money where it counts right now, and thats in the game itself.

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173
    I also find this odd, maybe they've exceeded their expectations and realize they could save the cash for now.
  • Lord_AmraLord_Amra Member Posts: 8

^^This.

With all the crazy hype of new games and subsequent hate crash, it wouldn't surprise me if the take the quiet road for launch with a steady build upwards.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Their last wave of advertising was a few weeks ago. That secured pre-ourchase and pre-orders. The next wave will come next week, when the game is actually available. Have you missed all the speculation going on about that rumored TV spot?

What would be the point of advertising this week? Prepurchases and preorders don't really make sense anymore, yet the game is not yet on the shelves,

considering they are #1 in sales on amazon and who knows how many pre-purchases from there main site and other venders it's pretty amazing how well its selling without the huge marketing campaign

Originally posted by Lord_Amra

^^This.

With all the crazy hype of new games and subsequent hate crash, it wouldn't surprise me if the take the quiet road for launch with a steady build upwards.

Wouldn't this theory fly directly against the prevailing opinion on mmorpg.com (well the negative prevailing opinion) that GW2 is the most hyped MMO ever?

^^This.

Wouldn't this theory fly directly against the prevailing opinion on mmorpg.com (well the negative prevailing opinion) that GW2 is the most hyped MMO ever?

had plently of talks about this already people get the word "hype" very mixed up when it comes to unreleased games

Originally posted by Naqaj
    Their last wave of advertising was a few weeks ago. That secured pre-ourchase and pre-orders. The next wave will come next week, when the game is actually available? Have you missed all the speculation going on about that rumored TV spot?

Originally posted by Lord_Amra Originally posted by Aerowyn seems the BWEs was all the advertising they needed heh
    ^^This.   With all the crazy hype of new games and subsequent hate crash, it wouldn't surprise me if the take the quiet road for launch with a steady build upwards.

The most hyped, and least advertised AAA MMORPG ever? A weird combination in my opinion.

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Aerowyn seems the BWEs was all the advertising they needed heh
    ^^This.   With all the crazy hype of new games and subsequent hate crash, it wouldn't surprise me if the take the quiet road for launch with a steady build upwards.

The most hyped, and least advertised AAA MMORPG ever? A weird combination in my opinion.

If it is least advertised, then who is doing all this hype? *snicker* I'm JK I know the answer already

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Their last wave of advertising was a few weeks ago. That secured pre-ourchase and pre-orders. The next wave will come next week, when the game is actually available? Have you missed all the speculation going on about that rumored TV spot?

I take it you refuse to use Facebook and watch the GW2 page from time to time? Which is perfectly viable of course, no pressure ... ;I

I take it you refuse to use Facebook and watch the GW2 page from time to time? Which is perfectly viable of course, no pressure ... ;I

I follow (am friends with) GW2 on facebook and visit the guildwars2.com page frequently? I have seen the picture with the mud covered person and the eye... what else is rumored? Fill me in lol

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Didn't they say something about wanting to rely on word of mouth? I could have sworn O'brien said something like that when talking to Forbes?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Naqaj Their last wave of advertising was a few weeks ago. That secured pre-ourchase and pre-orders. The next wave will come next week, when the game is actually available? Have you missed all the speculation going on about that rumored TV spot?

I follow (am friends with) GW2 on facebook and visit the guildwars2.com page frequently? I have seen the picture with the mud covered person and the eye... what else is rumored? Fill me in lol

There is an image of Eir, swimming underwater. This was a screenshot from a short, obscure video that was repeatedly being shown at the GW2 Booth at GamesCom.

Edit: ^Distopia, Forbes is a business magazine, so didn't Mike O'brien instantly contradict himself what saying that?

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    The word of mouth on this game is ridiculous.  My daughter plays WoW, and she says it's all anyone is talking about in her huge ass guild.  I don't think spending a ton more money is going ot help much.  If you haven't heard about GW2 by now, you will shortly after launch when your game clears out.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.