Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Underwater PvP and the Downed State

Comments

• BloodiganBloodigan Member UncommonPosts: 2
    oops, just so you know, i meant first post by me
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I thought the whole underwater thing was just great. Only thing lacking is the lack of drowning...
  • dominiadominia Member Posts: 191
    Down state causes two phases of combat, the initial phase which we all know and has been in mmos for years - and the second which is right when the first player goes down.

It's a unique mechanic which adds a lot of depth and gameplay options especially to pvp. Some classes and buffs actually excel in either the downed state or finishing people off. You can actually make entire support builds around the downed state and be extremely (almost a necessity) in tpvp.

As the game evolves and players realize doing dmg in phase one is only half the battle, I think you'll see better reactions to the downed state among the general gaming populace.

The best example is the early game in Starcraft 2 - it's annoying, sometimes cheesy, and most players would just rather start off with maxed armies as it would be more 'fun' thematically. But the early game in SC2 is massively important to the meta game as a whole, and like the downed state in GW2, a piece to a larger gameplay puzzle.

That said... I'm surprised with how the downed state works in water, that so many capture points are on land. I didn't get to play in the stress test yesterday (work).

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I don't personally mind the downed state outside the thief teleport. That one is fairly ridiculous. A poster even started a thread about that and the downed state in general over in the gaming forum. However, maybe they do need to reassess it in PvP because it appears a lot are bothered by it or maybe finetune it is a better way of putting it. There were some good suggestions in that thread. Least I thought so anyways.

The water portion most certainly needs revamped at the very least.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I hate the underwatrer downd system for a different reason. I could never seem to escape the water in PvE and would just die in downed state. Maybe in PvP it's easier to do...

Smile

• mrburkittmrburkitt Member Posts: 1
    You can just dps someone that's downed if you think/know they're proficient at using downed interrupts/ports.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I usually dislike underwater content. But maybe it'll be different in GW2. Seems like they are improving  alot of things many people dislike or are tired of, so maybe this is one too! This weekend is going to be madness...
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    I too have mixed feeling about downed mechanic in PvP, but I love it in PvE, so removing it from PvP won't really mather to me, but I would be furious to see it removed from PvE.
  • Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48
    The downed mechanic underwater needs to be fixed, just make it so they can't swim away.  Otherwise I'm very okay with downed state on land.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by MikeB

players don’t even go down like they do on land. Instead, just like PvE, you can swim up to the surface in order to heal and even swim away.

That's why pretty much every class has a nifty skill that weights the targets and forces it to sink down. It's amazing for those downed state moments.

Then again I'm also biased, because I love the additional layer of strategy that downed state brings to PvP and additional options for support roles. 

• unrealunreal Member Posts: 53
    MikeB, looks like you suffered from PvP-induced rage and decided to QQ in a column post ^^
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Let's not forget the Op was a poster boy for SWTOR before launch, so it makes sense. Underwater combat and the downed-state are awesome features SWTOR will never have which is even more awesome.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    The downed state drives me f n nuts. I m dead or I m not, why the hell do I want my already small skill pool, diminish to less. I don t know It s my opinion, but I can t stand it in PVE.
  • unrealunreal Member Posts: 53
    You're thinking about it wrong. It's either your skill pool is diminished to less or you're dead and can't do anything about it. At least this gives you an option to come back in the fight :)

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    Yeah the downed state underwater in pvp definitely needed some work. Maybe they should make it that the downed state in PvE works as normal but in PvP, or even just when killed by another player, you actually have to swim to shore rather than start gaining health as soon as you reach the surface.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    The downed state needs some tweaking but it's exciting to watch some one on the brink of death make a come back. I know there are some snares in underwater combat. Use them and finish them off maybe? For me watching some one come back from the downed state is like watching Street Fighter Alpha and a guy with no health manage to Alpha Counter a Super Combo and win the match.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    The downed state is just about the dumbest idea I've ever seen in an MMO.  And as ridiculous as it sounds, it looks even worse as it's happening.  
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    Originally posted by Zooce

"Watch this person 'die' and live to tell about it! Mortal wounds are nothing land and fresh air can't fix!"

The guy in that video was getting juked by a mesmer where you have it queued to begin.  The actual player he was chasing never left the water, but instead returned to capture the ruins if I'm not mistaken.  Not sure of my stance on the downed state for pvp yet, waiting till I get more first-hand experience with the spvp.

Looks like a fun map, those sharks provide nice back-up when shit hits the fan on land and you control the waters.

No man, the guy was downed, gets his health back up as he reaches land, gets out of downed state and circles around back to the ruins.

A solution might be to just remove the instant healing when you get to the surface / on land, if a player successfully rises to the surface he should be allowed to bandage himself after a cooldown ends (like on land), but not before.

Good idea, sir.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I don't personally mind the downed state outside the thief teleport. That one is fairly ridiculous. A poster even started a thread about that and the downed state in general over in the gaming forum. However, maybe they do need to reassess it in PvP because it appears a lot are bothered by it or maybe finetune it is a better way of putting it. There were some good suggestions in that thread. Least I thought so anyways.

The water portion most certainly needs revamped at the very least.

I think most people have given up trying to "Finish Him!" on a thief. Which is just bad design imo. I mostly just stick my phantoms on him and go about my business. Very annoying and anti-fun.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

Underwater battles were some of the funnest fights I've had in DAOC.

I hope they do the mechanic right.  Going from above water to under water in DAOC without a pause in the action was awsome.  It added a totally different element to PvP and added extra escape options....sometimes ;)

• ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Underwater PvP for me in guildwars 2 was basically awful and I avoided it. Was very buggy and annoyingly implemented. Controls were klunky and finishing others was just cumbersome
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Cant judge it till I try it. As for the downed state. I love the unique twist it adds in PvP and I hope it stays. 
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

If I roll a ranger, ima getting me a Shark!

Looking forward to trying this Underwater PVP.

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

1) Experienced player are not phased by the Downed state. Even underwater, it really should be a simple matter to swim to them and finish them off. I do think that your movement speed should be drastically reduced, because right now you move fast enough that it's possible to avoid the Finish just by moving. 

2) This is absolutely vital for people to learn: YOU CAN SET YOUR UNDERWATER HEAL/UTILITIES/ELITES INDEPENDENTLY OF YOUR LAND SET! Please, please do this! You'll swap between loadouts automatically when you go between land and sea. As a corrolary, there is a lake in the Mists. Practice with your underwater set so you know wtf your skills do.

3) The underwater cap point and the sharks aren't the only thing this map has going for it. There's also a pirate cannon on the platform overlooking the ship, but you need to load it with cannonballs that you collect from the ship (one cannonball = 5 shots, of course...). It's not quite as powerful as the trebuchet, but you can aim it much more easily. It hits almost all of the land areas in the map. Also you can find beer bottles on the top deck of the ship that grant you a few seconds of invulnerability. 

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68

Haven't gotten to try the underwater combat yet.  But, I have to say that I don't feel the downed state adds anything of value to the game.  Personally, it annoyed me greatly and I would rather just be dead and respawn.