Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Concerns.

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

This isnt about overflow concerns...

This isnt about WvW concerns..

No, this is about the language concern.

I've read many scandinavians are on the Far Shiverpeaks server (for an example). While I wouild love to play with my fellow country villagers, I would prefer speaking english still over my own language. I just fear that these many "unofficial Spanish/german/scandinavian/dutch" servers, people will speak their own language and expect you to know how to write it too.

Dealing my concern too, or are you certain people will respect each other and speak english?

Comments

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

its definitely a problem - as the international/english speaking community is crowded on about 4 servers

http://www.gw2guilds.org/

if every language 'takes' their own server, there will not be enough servers :P

desolation, gandara, gunnar's hold and  ruins of surmia. every other server got an overhang of non-english-speaking guilds.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

There was (and still is) a rather long discussion about it at GW2Guru and apparantly it really depends on national pride and development level. It seems that on Servers designated for West-European (yes, this includes Scandinavian) communities most people will still speak English, this is usually not the case on (unofficial) Southern/Eastern-European Servers, however.

And since you've mentioned Far Shiverpeaks I think I should inform that this server is also the unofficial Dutch server. People of different nationalities playing on the same server will have to find a quick and reliable way to communicate with each other, the most effective way being to speak English.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

There won't be many (if at all) inofficial german servers, because there are official ones.

Also, in my experience, the people insisting on English are far more annyoing then those that insist on a specfic other language, even on (in)official language servers.

As most people won't know about those inofficial servers anyways, similar with inofficial PvP/RP servers, and overflow is international, at least within the regions (so, whole of Europe), i don't think that you will be "unable" to speak English.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Is there an Esperanto server?
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Alot

And since you've mentioned Far Shiverpeaks I think I should inform that this server is also the unofficial Dutch server. People of different nationalities playing on the same server will have to find a quick and reliable way to communicate with each other, the most effective way being to speak English.

But according to http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers/eu Far Shiverpeaks is both a dutch and scandinavian server...

Which server would be good for me? I would love to speak mainly english and PvP alot.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    from looking at the list Gunnar's Hold doesnt look bad for you, doesnt have a main language and its not over crowded yet popular enough with WvW guilds.

Originally posted by ariboersma
    from looking at the list Gunnar's Hold doesnt look bad for you, doesnt have a main language and its not over crowded yet popular enough with WvW guilds.

Meh, just a shitty name for a server :P

But if its not high populated, that means rapefest in WvW?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    It is usually italians, french and spanish who won't speak english, most northern europeans will.
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

no it means no queue to do wvw, and if you look its pretty average, not low pop by far

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

probably the first 2 week if you are unlucky and get matched against higher population servers.

They did state that they will be matched against people of equal playing style and population. So no Rapefest in WvWvW for you.

Same goes for those high populations, they will be matched against same high populations, so no one will be over powering.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Whiteside Ridge seems very populated, and I only experienced english speaking people on there as well :)

And I feel you, im danish my self, and well I'd rather speak english than having to resort to speaking danish :)

How do you guys decide what server to play on?
  • All scandanavians, yes even the Finnish, should be forced to play Norns.

http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers

Originally posted by gestalt11
    All scandanavians, yes even the Finnish, should be forced to play Norns.

And Irish scottish and welsh. The norn seem like a hybrid between the celts and the vikings.

Originally posted by Alot And since you've mentioned Far Shiverpeaks I think I should inform that this server is also the unofficial Dutch server. People of different nationalities playing on the same server will have to find a quick and reliable way to communicate with each other, the most effective way being to speak English.
    But according to http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers/eu Far Shiverpeaks is both a dutch and scandinavian server...

Which server would be good for me? I would love to speak mainly english and PvP alot.

That's why I said that Far Shiverpeaks is ALSO the unofficial Dutch server.

I think that just about any server with a(n) (unofficial) West-European community would do, but don't forget that you'll be able to swap worlds freely at launch, so if one particular server isn't to your liking you can simply pick another one (for free).

Originally posted by Istavaan

And Irish scottish and welsh. The norn seem like a hybrid between the celts and the vikings.

I would say viking and native american tbh

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Well I got a friend in the UK who convinced me to go onto that through the BWE's... Then I met a bunch of people on there as well which where we'll be creating a guild on there and well yeah xD.. mostly because I met all those people there so I'll have an easier time meeting up with them again :)

http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers

Yeah I know. But its like it says both Dutch and Scandinavian ^^ With it saying "Dutch" as its own people, I would fear they would mainly speak Dutch there

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Listen to Alot. I see he's going with Gandara, he's smart. :)

Originally posted by solarine
    Listen to Alot. I see he's going with Gandara, he's smart. :)

I'm going there because of the large presence of GW2Guru members, we might be able to recruit more of them for the Guild in-game.

I don't know where you get Native American from but the celts were druids and shaman. The Norn seem closer to celts than the vikings in my opinion.

Originally posted by gestalt11 All scandanavians, yes even the Finnish, should be forced to play Norns.
    I don't know where you get Native American from but the celts were druids and shaman. The Norn seem closer to celts than the vikings in my opinion.

I think he is referring to their worship of Spirits instead of gods, when he is talking about how Norn are somewhat Native American. Native Americans were spiritualistic, while both Celts and Vikings used to be polytheistic.

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by gestalt11 All scandanavians, yes even the Finnish, should be forced to play Norns.

I think he is referring to their worship of Spirits instead of gods, when he is talking about how Norn are somewhat Native American. Native Americans were spiritualistic, while both Celts and Vikings used to be polytheistic.

Maybe spiritually they are similar to native americans but culturally they are polar opposites.

I got some friends who will buy the game at release and not 3 day head start. If I get into a high populated server will they be able to join me?