Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Black Isle Studios Resurrected

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new website, Facebook page and Twitter feed have cropped up indicating that Black Isle Studios is once again a living breathing entity. Even though not MMO-related, most of us are also RPG fans. Who wouldn't be excited to see the creators of Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and other classic RPGs coming back to life?

You can check out the new Black Isle Studios site but beware! It's moving very slowly, doubtless being hammered by adoring fans!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Thumbs up I say
  • TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Well thats good news.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    This could turn out to be good news.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Here's some more info (maybe).

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1551151/interplay_resurrecting_fallout_dev_black_isle_original_team_not_involved.html

I was thinking this might be related to Obsidian Entertainment's Kickstarter to raise money for Wasteland 2.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105
    Just the name, not the people. No more than a marketing trick. Nothing to see here, move along.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Sweet. Zombie Studio!

Joined - July 2004

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Without the original team it's just a meaningless label.Add to that Interplay probably spent their yearly budget jsut ressurecting that label unless soemoen else has actualyl ressurected Interpaly from it's barely hanging on by a fingernail financial Woes,which would be even bigger news.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Lets hope they'll make quality games like they used to do. Remember the Descent trilogy, and the great BioWare RPG's from back then...
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    glad to hear it enjoyed many of their games
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Good news.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I wondered about that when first read it. "What about the people? Aren't they like all over the place? Did they all quit their current job, did they organize that "in secret"?"

Seeing that it's the name only, it's pointless. If Interplay has a team capable of "bringing back"  Black Isle, they don't need the name. If they use the name, but don't have the team, it will only tarnish it. With enough people getting upset about it, it could even end up bad for Interplay, instead of simply being of no use.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This is good news!

Especially with Overhaul Games rezzing Balder's Gate as well as a modern edition ( http://www.baldursgate.com/ ).

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

no one from the origional team is involved.

Thats terrible :-(

• Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111
    Need a Balder's gate game :P
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    I swear to god if i see the Letters E and A in that order anywhere on that website ever, i'm going to hemorrhage blood from the eyes. twice.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

It's an 'in-name only' revival... BUT I'm willing to give a new group of folks under that name a chance. I'll be keeping an eye on this to be sure.

At least wait until they release the first game under the resurrected label to judge them folks, yeesh.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Of course, who knows what will come of this, but chances are slim without the original team.  Probably better off picking a new name than trying to ride on the coat tails of people long gone.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    In these times when it seems like Game Development company lay-offs are announced every other week it's great to hear some positive news!
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    I swear to god if i see the Letters E and A in that order anywhere on that website ever, i'm going to hemorrhage blood from the eyes. twice.

LOL?

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I've recently been playing Baldurs gate 2 for the first time ( I played 1 and Icewindale back in the 90s ) . This was a quality studio lets hope it will be again . 

On a side note apparently overhaul games has plans to release the unfinished Baldurs Gate 3 . 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Awesome!

Hopefully they bring back the old Warlords turn based strategy games, loved that series.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    EA, hear me roar.  I swear to all things that are good and holy in this world, that if you screw up this studio..... I WILL............KIL-write a formal letter of complaint giving you a piece of my mind!

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

LOL?

Hardcore trolls are about LOL

Marketing trick for real?

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182
    Interplay resurecting Black Isle, how sad.  Interplay just loves to make things up these days, huh?  'Let's pretend we're making an mmo of Fallout.'  "Let's pretend we're bringing back the best creative team we destroyed."  I'd give them an ounce of credibility if they had produced anything slightly mediocre in the last 10 years.
  • bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

planetscape torment 2?

sweet.