Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So are player names server specific or global?

JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
I read some conflicting stuff, some saying player names are server specific (so if I wanted Bob on server A, someone on server B could also have Bob).

I read somewhere that if a player creates Bob on any server, no other player may make a character with the name Bob.

Does anyone know which is true?

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I don't know the answer to this but I have gotten Bob on almost every MMO since EQ. There are a couple of exceptions but most games that I've played, I've attempted to snag it immediately :)
  • Stainless72Stainless72 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I believe there can be only one Bob.

There might be Bob Bob or Bob Bob Bob.
    Or maybe that would be Bobby.

Unique game name, not server.

First and lastname count as ONE name.
  • DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    They are Global.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Character names in the Guild Wars universe work differently than they do in most other MMOs. Whereas in most MMOs character names are unique only within their world/server, in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, character names are unique across the entire game. In Guild Wars 2, when a player acquires a name like Wizardex, he or she is acquiring it across all worlds.

http://www.arena.net/blog/reserving-your-character-name-for-guild-wars-2

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

• Character names are global.

From: http://www.arena.net/blog/reserving-your-character-name-for-guild-wars-2

Character names in the Guild Wars universe work differently than they do in most other MMOs. Whereas in most MMOs character names are unique only within their world/server, in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, character names are unique across the entire game. In Guild Wars 2, when a player acquires a name like Wizardex, he or she is acquiring it across all worlds. Clearly this places more importance on grabbing the name early.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Delvie

Character names are global.

From: http://www.arena.net/blog/reserving-your-character-name-for-guild-wars-2

Character names in the Guild Wars universe work differently than they do in most other MMOs. Whereas in most MMOs character names are unique only within their world/server, in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, character names are unique across the entire game. In Guild Wars 2, when a player acquires a name like Wizardex, he or she is acquiring it across all worlds. Clearly this places more importance on grabbing the name early.

this

• Originally posted by daniel!!!

Account names are the ones with 4 digit numbers. They are not the same as character names.
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    100% Global
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Thanks guys - that is nuts!!
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

There can only be one Bob.

There can be other people, but as Cerulia said back in AC1,

Cerulia says, "But then they are nonbobs, and only bob is bob..."

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

It is nuts (though I can understand why this design was chosen given the extensive cross-server interaction through pve guesting and WvW) and scary because it makes it feel like you are competing with every GW2 player for your favorite name instead of just your server.

This is at least alleviated somewhat by support for multi word names/surnames, which many other mmos do not do. So having the same base name is a lot easier to obtain than say a million variations of legolas.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• zbitzbit Member Posts: 36

Is there a list where we can see what names are taken?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

My Ranger's name was Bear Phuker... I probably won't try to snag that one though.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

There is no such list. Well, technically, there is, ArenaNet has one, but that boilds down to "there is no such list".

With 20 million two word names (not sure if this means all names, or really only names with two words, not those with more), such a list would be way to big to be useful for any of us anyways.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Also remember that your characters are locked to the server you select.  Unlike other MMO's you dont get to create new characters on a different server.  So those 5 character slots will forever be linked to one and only one server.  Of course you can move your characters to a new home server and you can buy new character slots in the gem store but this is partly the reason why the names are global as opposed to server.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    You will also be able to play as a 'guest' on another server, leading to the possibility of a guest Bob.
  • Originally posted by Gorilla
    You will also be able to play as a 'guest' on another server, leading to the possibility of a guest Bob.

While it is true you can guest on another server - character names are unique across all servers - so there is only ever going to be one Bob with no last name.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Many people will be logging on when the head start servers go on line, create their characters as fast as possible to reserve the names and then they will go back and redo each one. Names are reserved for 24 hours after you delete a character.
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I'm glad another company is bringing this name holding back, now your name has a reputation across all of GW2 not just your server.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Originally posted by Dalgor
    I'm glad another company is bringing this name holding back, now your name has a reputation across all of GW2 not just your server.

True, but too bad it can't be seen in WvWvW :(