Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#TERAEFFECT?

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

What's with that ad I see on the top of this page... what is the #Teraeffect? Sounds like a cheap attempt to copy the GW2 effect we've all been talking about since BWE1 and before.

What are they claiming this "tera effect" is, and is it comparable?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Just marketting, I don't know why this is here though.

Also kinda laughing at how slow the tweets are coming in.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    First, why is this not in the Tera section then, 2nd gw2 effect?
  • xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    The Tera effect is supposedly when people claim that they can't go back to other MMOs because of the unique "Combat System" Tera has. Though I'm not sure how this #TeraEffect came about since I never heard it before in the game or the forums.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240
    Lol i didnt notice the #Teraeffect, maybe i have a problem but wen i see Tera adds i only can see one thing (well, they are 2 things but its ok)
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    No idea - I automatically use "adblock +" on those background ads without even reading them (and even less clicking them) so I get a nice, clean black background to the forums :)
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by xposeidon
    The Tera effect is supposedly when people claim that they can't go back to other MMOs because of the unique "Combat System" Tera has. Though I'm not sure how this #TeraEffect came about since I never heard it before in the game or the forums.

especially since the combat in Tera SUCKS! animation lock + not all classes being able to dodge + space bar spam = no fun!

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by coretex666
    Click the ad and you will "Learn more". :D Obviously, it is just a buzz word they use in the marketing campaign. Why did you post it here instead of Tera forum btw?

because GW2 followers have been using "GW2 Effect" to describe the lack of motivation to play other MMOs after playing in GW2 betas, and the withdrawal feelings when the betas end. and then we find TERA's marketing people using something similar to describe the same feeling towards their own game.

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by ariboersma

especially since the combat in Tera SUCKS! animation lock + not all classes being able to dodge + space bar spam = no fun!

Oh my... lol well I wouldn't go as far as saying it sucks but it def didn't ruin other MMOs for me.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    They even have "I can't go back to other MMOs" which is a phrase that appears on countless GW2 posts, along with the "this is the GW2 Effect" and now they've added that to Tera advertising. Perhaps some people at Tera like to read these forums

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by Volkon What's with that ad I see on the top of this page... what is the #Teraeffect? Sounds like a cheap attempt to copy the GW2 effect we've all been talking about since BWE1 and before.   What are they claiming this "tera effect" is, and is it comparable?
    GW2? effect? what's that? O_o

Btw now that you mention it i didn't see a Gw2 banner or an advertisment here or on other mmorpg gamig sites. Pretty low profile on the advertisement campaign for the biggest mmorpg launch of the year.

Arenanet is just relying on pure word of mouth

I clicked "learn more"

I'll tell you what TERA does do: it makes you ask hard questions of every other Massively Multiplayer experience.”

Yeah it made me ask why is a game released in the 2011/2012 feels so 2004

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i bet this site is plastered in GW2 banners on saturday 25th  :)
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Angry that your guild lost the vanarchy to a smug group of care bears? Declare war and show no mercy!

LoL a self respecting mmorpg company shouldn't use the term "carebear"...

You see this is why the average age of the Tera community was so low. The whole marketing campaign felt (and feels) so juvenile and targeted at teenagers that want to look "badass".

This remind me of the awful MMO-FO videos

I hope the guy responsible for this sillines was sacked in the recent lay offs. (and the managers who thought it was a good idea too)

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    LOL. Remember yesterday's thread where people in the GW2 forums wailed at being victimized by people coming into their boards to talk smack smack?

Yeah. There you go.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Hmm... my apologies to the local Terapins, this was intended to stay in the GW2 forums where the term "GW2 Effect" originated so many months ago.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Well, I must say that the Award for the most arrogant, obtrusive, in-your-face video advertisements goes to En Masse Entertainment. Congratulations, have some Ad-blocker in your eyes!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    i really did like the tera combat but did not experience the #teraeffect, because there was still too much #grindeffect

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I suppose the #Terraeffect is another way of saying "a game that was made with assets stolen from another company"?  I kid, glad to see the big update for this game.  Fun combat, hope they can add more interesting content (other than raids and bgs).

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

This might be their last ditch effort with the P2P model. If they don’t see a considerable amount of folks buying the game by the 28th, I would not be surprised if they announce the server merge in September, followed by the announcement of the F2P or hybrid model in October.

Hundreds, and potentially thousands of folks are getting the checksum error forcing them to do a clean reinstall (for some)… and then we have the huge lag spikes that have been going on since yesterday incessantly.

The problem with the TERA Effect is that almost everyone knows by now (or should if you had any interest in the game) was the combat. That is all good and dandy, but what happens after you reach to level cap in a month or two? What happens once that “one trick pony” being the combat wears off? What happens to the TERA Effect at that moment?

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

TERA came in one day and drank all my beer, sat in my couch, punched my dog then stole my checkbook. I've been working for months to get those check numbers eliminated from my bank account and my dog has been having the sniffles ever since then.

I'm going with the rest of my compatriots up above to where their signatures say they'll be going to becuase I'm going to give TERA its due. Haleluya. Find me live in the chat channels this coming Saturday.

AMEN

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Gotta say...I followed TERA from sometime in early October till launch, preordered and subbed for a few months. The combat was really fun along with the dungeons...yet it just wore off after a bit. Think I got to level 48 before all the recycled mobs and areas started to get to me along with the quests. Was a sad day unsubbing for me to be honest. I was really excited about the game after beta testing and everything, didn't get much work done during the launch due to browsing the forums...

Think the #TERAEffect...as lame as what I've heard the MMOFO campaign was, came from some of the forum posters. If they were planted or true, I don't know, but I remember quite a few after the beta tests in April saying that after experiencing the combat they couldn't go back to the normal tab targetting. So...not everything is coming from the hype of GW2...

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by illyana

Originally posted by coretex666
    Click the ad and you will "Learn more". :D

Obviously, it is just a buzz word they use in the marketing campaign. Why did you post it here instead of Tera forum btw?

because GW2 followers have been using "GW2 Effect" to describe the lack of motivation to play other MMOs after playing in GW2 betas, and the withdrawal feelings when the betas end. and then we find TERA's marketing people using something similar to describe the same feeling towards their own game.

HOW ORIGINAL!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    TERAEFFECT = A reminder that graphics =/= fun.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I'll take animation lock any day over the combat system that GW2 has.  One of the worst combat systems I've had the misfortune of playing.  

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

I'll take animation lock any day over the combat system that GW2 has.  One of the worst combat systems I've had the misfortune of playing.  

Got killed a lot huh?  It happens.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

the #TERAEFFECT was a lot like a hangover for me. pretty cool for a while, and then exceptionally sickining afterwards.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)