Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey you! Yes, thats right, you on the fence

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

So, I have not bothered reading about people complaints about the game this far, I like it and I dont really mind if others do not like it. But Im interested in why you guys dont like the game? Whats wrong? What is missing? Why dont you like it? 

Keep it clean, no kittens have to die in this thread. 

Comments

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51

I am still deciding on whether or not to get this game.  I am interested in the PvP, but prefer some form or measureable progression vice pure e-sport.  I don't know enough about the PVE to have a firm opinion, but the videos I have seen look like that aspect of the game is solid.   I really think that generally speaking, the MMO genre is very stagnant.  Good games are suffering from the "been there, done that" syndrome and I fear this one will be no different.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Khondor

I am still deciding on whether or not to get this game.  I am interested in the PvP, but prefer some form or measureable progression vice pure e-sport.  I don't know enough about the PVE to have a firm opinion, but the videos I have seen look like that aspect of the game is solid.   I really think that generally speaking, the MMO genre is very stagnant.  Good games are suffering from the "been there, done that" syndrome and I fear this one will be no different.

I somewhat agree. The PvE looks great and it seems to be much different from many of the AAA MMOs we've seen come out.

My main concern is whether WvW will continue to be a valid and used feature after a couple of months into the game, as that's really the big draw for me. It seems like it lacks the progression that I'm specifically looking for, and it seems like it completely forbids forming rivalry of any sort between enemies, at least for more than a couple of weeks.

If that turns out to not be the case, and if the feature stays relevant after the 2nd month, I'll definitely be picking it up.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

1. Console gameplay tacked on to the pc.

2. Classes are boring to play.

3. Not enough skills and people won't weapon swap as much as you think they will. 

4. The game's art work reminds me of a game that should of been released in 2005.

5. No DX 11

6. Everything is soloable except dungeons.  The game hardly promotes grouping besides dungeons.

7. Dynamic events are not that much different regular quests.

8. The personal story the way they tell it reminds me of a child's story book.

9. Meele is broken is large scale events.

10. Zerg fest combat. Zerg to one place then to the next and so on.

11. This has all been done before, nothing really sticks out as a game changer for the better.

Yet another theme park so called mmo that will fail long term. I didn't even touch on pvp.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by andre369
    So, I have not bothered reading about people complaints about the game this far, I like it and I dont really mind if others do not like it. But Im interested in why you guys dont like the game? Whats wrong? What is missing? Why dont you like it? 

ok. Its been discussed before how i have mixed feelings like there's not any kinship or responsibility in De's and other related quest grouping. - This is been talked about to death, I really dont want to get into anyone augments about it..

But the main reason i'm on the fence is the hype, I don't think it will sustain itself. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a good game but being praised as the second coming i have to disagree. It may be fun now while everyone is doing the De's and such in beta and at launch, but 6-12 months down the line when people will most likely be trying 'new things' the game world is going to be very stale i believe from the lack of perceived population.

Im not talking about a mass exodus or a population crash im just talking about the general settling down of community after the inital rush.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

A few reasons really.  I can't nail it down to just one.  I don't dislike the game, it's just not for me.  

I prefer the slower old school type combat.  The active dodging and constant weapon swaps type combat is just a bit too twitch based for me.  Sure I could do it, but I know I would absolutely hate PVP.  

Second, this is a themepark MMO, and in themepark MMOs, the journey is never the destination, no matter how much we want to think that it is.  It is vital that there be a constant, measureable, and enjoyable secondary progression after level cap.  Going back to previously visited and conquered zones (deleveled or not) does not appeal to me as a viable form of end-game play (yes, I'm aware this is only one facet).

Lastly, and this is the biggie, I don't like the way the game is presented.  Asthetically, it is great, don't get me wrong, I just don't like it.  They story telling reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics, and it just irks me.

Who knows though, its biggest selling point is that it is a one-time purchase.  I have paid equal price for many crap-tasitic single player games over the years, and this game is anything but crap.  I'll most likely wait several months when the hype and rush to level has died down,and give it a go.

• Ban_KhaerosBan_Khaeros Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Mephster

3. Not enough skills and people won't weapon swap as much as you think they will. 

4. The game's art work reminds me of a game that should of been released in 2005.

5. No DX 11

6. Everything is soloable except dungeons.  The game hardly promotes grouping besides dungeons.

11. This has all been done before, nothing really sticks out as a game changer for the better.

Yet another theme park so called mmo that will fail long term. I didn't even touch on pvp.

1. Yes, the game has that consolitis feel.  It didn't feel as bad as DCUO, but it's still there.

2. I didn't care much for many of the professions.  The engineer and the mesmer are probably the most fulfilling.

3. I did prefer GW1's method of allowing all eight to be changed.  Weapon swapping will be mainly for the extra skills that you have to have in order to be viable in higher-end PVP, so they will swap if they want to play optimally.

4. Doesn't really matter to me.  I'm a content kind of person and graphics were always a side thing.  The game looks nice, but I was impressed when games really pushed the hardware they were made on (not all older games looked like the current batch of 'indie retro-style puzzle platformers' that pop up on Steam dime a dozen).

5. See 4.

6. It's not technically soloing, but the fact that you feel it's soloing is the exact problem with the game.  Socialization is nice.  Forced socialization is bad (I don't like inviting people just because they need the quest / loot), but silent de zergs aren't much better.

7. DEs have done a pretty decent job at hiding the 'quest' from the player's eyes.  Use of progress bars and stages helps.  DEs aren't revolutionary like most people say; however, they are a step forward in the whole 'questing' department.  I prefer the sense of urgency given to the DEs - don't go to the circle?  You likely won't see it for a while.

8. It's a nice addition, but I treat it like a side attraction as it should be.  The game plays it up to be a main part.

9. Despite what some people say, many fights do favor ranged versus melee.  I'll be sure that my engineer / mesmer hits the field first - then again, it seems that all professions have some sort of ranged option. 

10. It is, but DAOC was the same thing too.  Zergs running all over the place.  Another reason that ranged will be first pick.

11. It has in terms of WvWvW - DAOC.  Of course, people on this site like to idolize the game even though it was just a bunch of zergs (gg albion).

The game will sell well and be successful, but most importantly, it will be a stepping stone for better games in the future.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

@ Mephster

Arenanet will be evaluating supporting DX11 post launch. ~RB2

i would love to see you solo a meta event,

Other line are just your opinion,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

5. No DX 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dt5Nf7ct5c

I think it was meant for people on the fence, not people who complete hate it. O_O

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• PilutPilut Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

@ Mephster

Arenanet will be evaluating supporting DX11 post launch. ~RB2

i would love to see you solo a meta event,

Other line are just your opinion,

Wasnt the thread created so people could give their opinion? Agree on soloing the meta events, that's just pure ignorance. Or hubris. Either way, save up for repaircosts if  you try it.

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

Were

You

Even

Alive

In

(Each link is a different screenshot from games released in 2005)

Others have touched on the gross inaccuracies present in the other points, but this one really stood out to me.

• Ban_KhaerosBan_Khaeros Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by PTED

Were

You

Even

Alive

In

Others have touched on the gross inaccuracies present in the other points, but this one really stood out to me.

Want to know what other game was released in 2005?

Guild Wars 1.  And for a game in 2005, it's a prime example of pushing the hardware to its limit.

Guild Wars 2 does not look as impressive in comparison to other games in its time like GW1 did.  While his point is full of hyperbole, the concept still stands - GW2 could look a lot better.  Let the Guru foreveralones get a job so they can pay for computer parts that aren't bad.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Kalstark

5. No DX 11

[mod edit]

Actually, the OP was looking for Mephster's opinion, yours on the other hand wasn't really welcome.

BTW, CCP/EVE and about 400K subscribers want to let you know they missed the memo about sandboxes being deceased.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

being marketed as newest and most inovative thing ever, a mmorpg to change it all,

thats biggest issue, because its bunch of lies, events are repetatve and same, no quests? right those active quest zones are worse than pickup, mobs wanders outside quest area , and you wontget quest tracked anymore, always the same too,

pvp is slow and a zergest, those rvr 5 min corpse run felt so enjoyable, how do youcall that pvp when you have only 1 rez point

horribly limited in active skills, and so on, motly because they are selling this as something special when its same old with more makeup, and people fall for it..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'm still on the fence at this point, not because I see any real flaws in GW2, just has game designs that while many seem to have been waiting for, weren't on my list.

I favor games where terrritory control and resource denial are the primary focus, not only at end game but throughout the entire design.

I enjoyed Lineage 1/2, DAOC, Shadowbane and EVE because they all revolved around this core design, (all with some level of consequences for failure, to a greater or lesser degree), and while GW2 is all about PVP, in the end, its really nothing like the titles I've listed, seems more like a giant BG to me.

I also need progression.  Yes, if I spend my time in game doing whatever it requires, I want advantages over those who have spent less time.  I'm not looking for a fair fight, in fact, I loath them (because I lack skill of course) but despite that want to win as much as anyone else.   I compensate by having better gear or bringing more friends, hate me if you like, I don't care.

GW2 removes this progression, and in fact, focuses on cosmetics as the rewards, something I'm totally not interested in.  (but it seems most players really care about how they look, same folks who visit laser hair removal clinics I suppose) image

Hey, I'm a niche gamer, and GW2 is clearly designed to appeal to the greater gaming community whose tastes are considerably different than mine. (not saying mine are better than theirs, just different)

Like someone else said, GW2 is cheap, so I'll end up buying it eventually, I'm sure I'll find some fun but I can certainly wait a few months, maybe have my wife buy it for me for Christmas or something.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Mephster 1. Console gameplay tacked on to the pc. 2. Classes are boring to play. 3. Not enough skills and people won't weapon swap as much as you think they will.  4. The game's art work reminds me of a game that should of been released in 2005. 5. No DX 11 6. Everything is soloable except dungeons.  The game hardly promotes grouping besides dungeons. 7. Dynamic events are not that much different regular quests. 8. The personal story the way they tell it reminds me of a child's story book. 9. Meele is broken is large scale events. 10. Zerg fest combat. Zerg to one place then to the next and so on. 11. This has all been done before, nothing really sticks out as a game changer for the better. Yet another theme park so called mmo that will fail long term. I didn't even touch on pvp.
    [mod edit]

You need a hug

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

I am still deciding. I played GW when it first came out, but never got any expansions and was turned off by the huge pvp. However, my tastes have changed and I enjoy PvP like a normal person. I havent even really looked into this game but will start to check it out to see if it suites me.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

5. No DX 11

1) To a degree yes, but so what?

2) Point of view, disagree.

3) Could be more skills yes, but people WILL swap.

4) WTF? The game is unbelievably beautiful!

5) So what?

6) Most games today have extensive soloability, because that's is demanded by players. But I saw much more cooperation in GW2 than in many other MMOs.

7) I felt they are much better than "go there fetch 10 of X", much more fun.

8) And? Doesn't playing fantasy games mean to speak to the Inner Child? I thought that was wonderful. I am so sick and tired of all this grey, gloomy stuff with broken characters and everything is so depressing.

9) BS. Besides, there are no melee classes. In a "zerg" any class you swap to range and do great.

10) Meaning what extactly?

11) Why reinvent the wheel? I think it is the mix, and a lot of things in MMOs at least I haven't seen in any mayor title. Alone the fact that mobs are not tagged to one player is SUCH an improvement in gameplay experience. Or that you can move and fight, and a lot of other things, which MAY have been in other MMOs, but mostly not.

Sorry, but most of these points if not all are a bit lacking substance and examples and are very general and unspecific. Like you make up stuff for the sake of.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

5. No DX 11

[mod edit]

OP invites people to give their opinion..he gives his opinion without attacking anyone. You flame him and call him names for giving his opinion.

Do i need to say who looks like a big fool and overzealous fanboy here?

This is exactly what I was talking about in another post a couple weeks back. I m taking the game for what it is IMO, a decent game for a month or 2, or longer depending if I log in alot or not. I can see myself logging in 1-2 days a week max, too many other good games out there. That said people are getting all gushy about GW2, beyond anything I ve seen, and it really isn t that amazing.

It s combat is ok, pve I find redundant and boring after awhile, sPvP is quite fun, and the WvW is good. Come to think of it, I basically bought GW2 like I would a COD game, stand and wait to pvp, sPvP, or WvW, outside of having to do a few pve things to get skills etc, I could care less to ever do them.

I think the game will be all talked about like it s so amazing, "OMG this game is the best" etc, but a month or 2 later, people will be saying"going back to older zones is end game, it sucks" Alot will still like it, but I find alot of people won t. It s the MMO cycle, and GW2 isn t any different.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

5. No DX 11

after reading your 1-11 complaints and thinking wow this guy is a complete idiot, i get to the last line and what do you know?!?! another crazy person who believes only sandbox mmo's are good and nothing will change their mind. go play some SWG......o wait thats right, that sandbox mmo sucked and you cant play it any more. go play that other sandbox mmo........o wait thats right there is none. i guarentee all you do is go on these forums and complain. go outside and go to a park, put your face in a actual sandbox and dont leave, ever. 

OP invites people to give their opinion..he gives his opinion without attacking anyone. You flame him and call him names for giving his opinion.

Do i need to say who looks like a big fool and overzealous fanboy here?

This is the problem with some of GW2's so called fans,it just makes us who can actually take a difference of opinion about this great game look bad.

[mod edit]

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Ban_Khaeros

Were

You

Even

Alive

In

Guild Wars 1.  And for a game in 2005, it's a prime example of pushing the hardware to its limit.

Guild Wars 2 does not look as impressive in comparison to other games in its time like GW1 did.  While his point is full of hyperbole, the concept still stands - GW2 could look a lot better.  Let the Guru foreveralones get a job so they can pay for computer parts that aren't bad.

Sorry but WTF?

GW2 is essentially THE most beautiful MMO I probably have SEEN! It's not merely a matter of polygons, but of love! EVERY single corner breathes atmosphere and character! There is so much detail, the colours and placement of stuff, the things going on in the environment! GW2 is a damn piece of art! How anyone can say otherwise is really beyond me.

And Ban is fully right. Where you guys even alife in 2005?? Saying it looks 2005 is just plain rubbish!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

no kittens have to die in this thread. 

mew

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Well i tried the game in beta and i really had a great time, so i pre-ordered the game. Im sure i will play the game for months, but i really don't see the next big (THE WOW KILLER OF THEM ALL!) in this game. It's great and it have some new elements that will get me hanging around for awhile.

If i should play an mmo for years as i did with WoW and EVE, it really has to be something very different from what we seen so far. Guess im more of a sandbox player than these typicall themeparks. 

Played so many mmo's and i allways get bored when reaching endgame. 

I have hopes though! I really hope that the endgame pvp will keep me hanging for more than a few months. I like to play mmo's for years again ;)

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Ban_Khaeros

Were

You

Even

Alive

In

Sorry but WTF?

GW2 is essentially THE most beautiful MMO I probably have SEEN! It's not merely a matter of polygons, but of love! EVERY single corner breather atmosphere and character! There is so much detail, the colours and placement of stuff, the things going on in the environment! GW2 is a damn piece of art! How anyone can say otherwise is really beyond me.

And Ban is fully right. Where you guys even alife in 2005?? Saying it looks 2005 is just plain rubbish!

Did you even read the OP. On that comment, no GW2 isn t a piece of art, it has average graphics. The game is average in almost every way, if it wasn t for WvW, I would have returned it., and even that doesn t compare to PS2 fun.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Kyleran
    ...Like someone else said, GW2 is cheap, so I'll end up buying it eventually, I'm sure I'll find some fun but I can certainly wait a few months, maybe have my wife buy it for me for Christmas or something.   

I don't think the price is as big a value as you might expect.

If you total up all the features you get and add in what's missing from standard MMOs.

For starters, enough character slots to effectively play all the professions, you are looking at 4-6 months subscription in most other games.

When I bought Rift, If I recall, I paid $35 boxed with 30 days included.

Most people can get a year's subscription out of an MMO for what GW2 would cost to get all slots opened.

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    To the people that actually post their complains about Gw2, after being invited to do so.

YOU ARE HEROES!