Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Optimization & Performance Information

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Guild Wars 2 blog has been updated with a new post from Bill Freist, part of ArenaNet's QA department. Freist's job in the post is to talk about how the team is working to ensure a smooth, stable experience by implementing back end changes and optimizations to the game engine.

Guild Wars 2 engine programmers have made major client-side and back-end improvements over the past couple of months, including several different kinds of optimizations that have led to performance gains. Because we strive to ensure the smoothest player experience possible, we try to implement these changes only when they’ve been appropriately tested to ensure stability. This has led to the fluctuation in performance that many players have experienced through the Beta Weekend Events and stress tests.

Read the full post on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Looks like we know what the recommended CPU is gonna be...

I don't know why companies low ball the minimum requirements... They might actually run the game, but don't expect to get more than 5 fps.

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254
    I don't get what they mean by "other drivre versions" 301.42 is the most updated driver that I can see. Am I missing something?
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    you need to run the beta driver  304.79 yeh thats right a beta driver to run a game thats released in a few days.
  • deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    they only put beta in front of the driver because the newer drivers are released exclusively perfected to the newer video cards then there worked on to become backwards compatiable with the older models.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Don't even have 6800 series AMD on their chart, but hopefully comparable with the 560ti for GW2 -

I've been getting 40+ FPS depending on player/action density and location using their recommending settings (auto) which is about high/mid-high

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by natpick
    you need to run the beta driver  304.79 yeh thats right a beta driver to run a game thats released in a few days.

I can't even begin to describe how much better game performance was for me when I installed the beta driver. I unfortunately don't think a majority of players are going to know how or where to download the beta driver instead of the current release driver.

I got a message for the first time as I logged in that there might be a problem with my driver and I said...but it's the most current! I think ArenaNet should provide a more direct link to a nVidia download page.

Usually when it comes to drivers the word "beta" is a dirty word...but in this case that is definitely not the case.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Funny to see that for the GTX460 the 'recommended driver' is 301.42, while the launcher warned be about issues when I had this driver installed :D
  • DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88
    So glad I just got a 4.2 quad and uppped my ram to 8gigs, the downloader recommended the beta driver for my GT430 but the driver claimed no compatible hardware found. Anyway I had no framerate issues during yesterdays stress test unless I went to max settings( I know I need a new gfx card, 1 upgrade at a time I'm getting there)
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I wonder when the next official driver will come from Nvidia. Driver releases seem to have been slow since they had there forum hacked a few months ago so I guess lack of feedback on beta drivers may be affecting them.
  • KietnaQuTakKietnaQuTak Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately in my case beta drivers for GF doesn't change anything at all. I can understand that my hardware isn't the newest one (Q6600 Quad Core 2,4GHz, 4GB RAM) but recently I have bought GF GTX 580 SOC and most of the newest games are working as a charm (only Battlefield 3 slows down from time to time but everyone knows how beautifull graphics does it have - I'm playing it on max settings in full HD resolution). GW2 is not working as I would like it to. On 1920x1080 (the only resolution I play on games, I'm using 42" TV, lower resolutions are just blurred) there is only 10 FPS difference between lowest (avarage 30-40FPS) settings and highest (avarage less than 20 up to 30). Normally in games it gives me boost of 30-50FPS when changing to lowest settings. So for me game is still not working properly. On 1024x768 and lowest settings GW2 is working in some about... 50-60FPS... with lowest settings possible.

Narf... Quoink...

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Where would my GPU place on there then as it's not on, I know GW2 runs perfect on my system anyways in max graphics, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-299-SP
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Thanks for the link, updating to 304.79 now!  Hopefully the superior driver will net me an increase in performace in 2d 17h 15m 23s.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

I just installed the Nvidia beta drivers for my GTX 670 for the last stress test (yesterday), and it did actually make a difference. It definitely reduced the annoying stutter I kept getting in GW2 in populated areas, and I think this fix is visible in the Nvidia patch notes for this driver - it essentially says it fixed the VSYNC stutter problem that sometimes manifested on the GTX 600 series of cards. This fix isn't just unique to GW2, so I'd recommend anyone (especially with GTX 600 series) to upgrade to this beta driver for general use in all games.

With all that said, GW2 has some really crappy graphics optimization going on ATM. Don't expect a miracle cure with the new drivers - the game still uses the CPU almost exclusively. People who say the game runs fine at 30-60 fps are not very picky and have low expectations. If you're like me and expect better performance (particularly at low detail settings for competitive play), you can still expect poor performance even with the newest drivers.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Funny to see that for the GTX460 the 'recommended driver' is 301.42, while the launcher warned be about issues when I had this driver installed :D

Ya, ArenaNet wants the beta driver here.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83

I'm getting 20-30 FPS at the lowest settings possible (with textures on high otherwise it's terribly ugly).

It's really weird because I could run Tera at 60 FPS easily at medium.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    i run the game fine in both PvE and WvW and before i launch it says it dont meet the min requirments.  im not worried come launch day.

• SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Man I almost wish my computer was older, modest configs all seem to run this game flawlessly.
  • biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

running with 305.53, and the last test i had mostly 90+ (still its 560 ti sli)

low fps were in the 40ish while in wvw in big fights. 

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    No love for amd gpu, guessing they expect us to work out the equivalent..

also one of the main reason the beta drivers give more fps is because it has optimizations in it that arena net sent over to nvidia to include in next driver releases..
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Looks like the AMD 7970 gets the highest FPS according to the second chart. Good thing I have two of them.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    My older computer, E8400, 3ghz overclocked to 3.4, 8 gigs ddr2 ram and (Upgraded for GW2), GTX 460 SE on an SSD (Upgraded for GW2)is rocking it out pretty good. One slider down from Ultra with V-sync on I was getting 50-60 fps and down to 40ish in congested areas.

I think I'm ready.

PS: SSD is awesome.
  • ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    My older computer, E8400, 3ghz overclocked to 3.4, 8 gigs ddr2 ram and (Upgraded for GW2), GTX 460 SE on an SSD (Upgraded for GW2)is rocking it out pretty good. One slider down from Ultra with V-sync on I was getting 50-60 fps and down to 40ish in congested areas. I think I'm ready. PS: SSD is awesome.

I have to agree that having an SSD for MMOs is almost a requirement if one wants to have smooth gameplay. I have GW2 on an SSD and gameplay is really, really smooth with no stuttering.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Still impossible to create a character in triple monitor mode (Eyefinity/Surround).
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ABRaquel
    My older computer, E8400, 3ghz overclocked to 3.4, 8 gigs ddr2 ram and (Upgraded for GW2), GTX 460 SE on an SSD (Upgraded for GW2)is rocking it out pretty good. One slider down from Ultra with V-sync on I was getting 50-60 fps and down to 40ish in congested areas. I think I'm ready. PS: SSD is awesome.

I have to agree that having an SSD for MMOs is almost a requirement if one wants to have smooth gameplay. I have GW2 on an SSD and gameplay is really, really smooth with no stuttering.

also 128gb SSD have dropped down to a reasonable price and its worth getting to put your OS on and your favorite game then have a large regular HD for everything else. Also helps a lot with loading times.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by ABRaquel

also 128gb SSD have dropped down to a reasonable price and its worth getting to put your OS on and your favorite game then have a large regular HD for everything else. Also helps a lot with loading times.

Totally agree. It was a huge difference even with Non MMOs like Skyrim.

There Is Always Hope!