Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paragon levels: What's the point?

7star7star Member Posts: 405

So can someone explain to me what the point of the Paragon Levels is?

Is it about the  border that you get around your portrait? Or does it make grinding the same mobs and the same maps more interesting? Or...I just don't...

Can someone explain?

Comments

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Diablo at its core is a progression treadmill from start to finish. This just gives more content. Unique content? No, but more content nonetheless.

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't mean this as a negative. When I play the game I play to progress my character. Once progression stops, I stop playing period.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
      • There are 100 total Paragon levels to be earned
      • Each Paragon level will reward you with:
        • Core stats such as Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Vitality in amounts similar to what you'd gain from a normal level
        • 3% Magic Find and 3% Gold Find
      • In addition, a distinctive border will surround your character portrait in the in-game party frame to denote your Paragon progression, with a new frame earned after every ten levels. Your Paragon level will also be visible to other players wherever your normal level is shown.
    • Nephalem Valor now grants +15% Bonus Experience per stack, as well as +15% to Magic Find and Gold Find
    • Magic Find will now cap at 300% (Nephalem Valor bonuses will still stack beyond this cap)
    • Magic Find is no longer averaged among all players in a multiplayer game

The cumulative stat and MF bonuses are what stand out to me.  I dislike the mechanic of swaping gear just before landing the killing blow to maximize the drops, and paragon levels would eventually nullify such tactics.
  • stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

[mod edit]

The point of paragon levels is to ultimately keep the RMAH going. Do you really think a game based around real money transaction doesn't think long and hard about the progression of their beloved RMAH?

Why did they make legendaires awesome after 3 months when they had 12 years? Well cause of the RMAH. I'm sure Blizzard will never reveal their RMAH income cause it would cause more fury than the Jay Wilson "F that guy" statement.

And I will bet you my bank account ($20,000) that Blizzard will continue to make patches based off RMAH sale declines in order to get people back to playing.

Don't know how often you guys keep up with the D3 forums but I couldn't count how many threads I saw where people said "I stopped playing for 2 months but wanted to check out 1.04).

You think Blizzard did this for the community or for their sales on the RMAH?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

[mod edit]

The point of paragon levels is to ultimately keep the RMAH going. Do you really think a game based around real money transaction doesn't think long and hard about the progression of their beloved RMAH?

Why did they make legendaires awesome after 3 months when they had 12 years? Well cause of the RMAH. I'm sure Blizzard will never reveal their RMAH income cause it would cause more fury than the Jay Wilson "F that guy" statement.

And I will bet you my bank account ($20,000) that Blizzard will continue to make patches based off RMAH sale declines in order to get people back to playing.

Don't know how often you guys keep up with the D3 forums but I couldn't count how many threads I saw where people said "I stopped playing for 2 months but wanted to check out 1.04).

LOL, nice way to put it into perspective.  Also Paragon is named after a WoW raid group/guild who was notorious for getting world first raid downings.  Some are quite attractive - they know the balance between gaming and keeping in shape. It's a mixed male/female group :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

There is no point. Its basically a levelcap raise by 100 in my opinion.

The only new thing is the increase in magic find percentage by ultimately 300%. That means three times as many magic drops as before. And seeing as it took a group of 20 players almost 90 days to find a single usable legendary that only cuts it down to 30 days of play time. That means roughly 600 days for one person.

(Too bad I misplaced the post of that guy with the 20 people group... was a hilarious story.)

... then again, getting that "LvL up" experience going again after LvL 60 while people die their way through inferno might just be enough to reel enough people back in and keep them playing for a while again. Empty manipulation, but effective. oO

(can you tell I dislike Diablo 3? ^^)

Originally posted by Karteli

[mod edit]

LOL, nice way to put it into perspective.  Also Paragon is named after a WoW raid group/guild who was notorious for getting world first raid downings.  Some are quite attractive - they know the balance between gaming and keeping in shape. It's a mixed male/female group :P

hehe funny cause when I saw "paragon" I automatically thought about Guild Wars 1 (Paragon class). At first I was like why would they name a new system after a Guild Wars class? Then I thought... well maybe it is a very subtle jab at Guild Wars 2. Then I thought about Jay Wilson's "F that guy" statement and coincidentally pre-purchased GW2.

Originally posted by Indrome

There is no point. Its basically a levelcap raise by 100 in my opinion.

The only new thing is the increase in magic find percentage by ultimately 300%. That means three times as many magic drops as before. And seeing as it took a group of 20 players almost 90 days to find a single usable legendary that only cuts it down to 30 days of play time. That means roughly 600 days for one person.

(Too bad I misplaced the post of that guy with the 20 people group... was a hilarious story.)

... then again, getting that "LvL up" experience going again after LvL 60 while people die their way through inferno might just be enough to reel enough people back in and keep them playing for a while again. Empty manipulation, but effective. oO

(can you tell I dislike Diablo 3? ^^)

Man I wanted to like D3 for so long, I played it since May 15th, but the whole RMAH fiasco and really bad development and developer feedback really did it for me. Obviously Blizzard is not the same group when D2 was released (just look at Jay Wilson's response to a key D2 creator "David Brevick" JW basically said "F that guy" on a facebook post).

Ultimately JW is saying "F you" to any fan of the diablo series. I don't appreciate such insults and am more infuriated when I am banned from the forums for saying shift+2343 which apparently is an implied curse word.

But ultimately D3 is just a money grab since it became activision/blizard. Games are just about pinching pennies now. Which brings me to the point of why I aboslutely love GW2. I only have to pay a small amount of money to play and MMORPG for life.

I mean I played the stress test today (last night, time zones..) and had so much fun. It was crazy cause I didn't get killed by an elite arcane/fire chain/ vortex/molten pack.

D3 = fail in my book. And I've been playing Blizz games since Warcraft 1 (ONE!) so it's not like I'm some idiot born in the 90s.l

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by 7star

Is it about the  border that you get around your portrait? Or does it make grinding the same mobs and the same maps more interesting? Or...I just don't...

Can someone explain?

What was the point in having 99 levels in D2? What's the point in achievements?  It's there for people who want to grind it out.

Well the point in lvl 99 d2 was to get skill points and stats to distribute (I'm assuming you never played d2 and have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about).

Achievement? Agreed, no point in them.

You fail to realize d3 is based around the RMAH and not good gameplay design.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I guess it's like an AA system like in some mmorpgs. AA = Alternative Advancement

It's to keep you interested even after max level. 

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52
    Is there a point to any game?

Can someone explain?

What was the point in having 99 levels in D2? What's the point in achievements?  It's there for people who want to grind it out.

Well the point in lvl 99 d2 was to get skill points and stats to distribute (I'm assuming you never played d2 and have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about).

The game could be easily defeated by the time you hit 60 in D2. 99 was a very long grind and not many bothered. I've never used the RMAH. Claiming a game  is built around an auction house you don't even need is a bit silly. It's like claiming a car is built around it's cupholders.

But the fact that people actually buy the best top end items off the RMAH actually proves this game was built around the RMAH. Prove me wrong. I bet your next response will be "but no one would spend 250 bucks on a stupid item."

my response: well yes, actually many people have. and it has made the luckiest 1% even richer (kinda like bush/obama taxes lol), while the rest suffer and pay for welfare.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

my response: well yes, actually many people have. and it has made the luckiest 1% even richer (kinda like bush/obama taxes lol), while the rest suffer and pay for welfare.

How did the rest "suffer"? You don't pay for anything you don't want to. The game is totally playable without spending any money on $250 items.

In fact, i have a positive balance of ~$40 on the RMAH (i made more, spent a little, never more than what i made), and i have a wiz who can farm Act 1 & 2 easily and progressed to end of Act 4.

I do not see any "suftering". In fact, all i get is a fun game.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Can someone explain?

This is just getting ridiculous. We had so many crybabies QQing that it was a mistake to make it so easy to hit max level. In Diablo 2 a lot of people played to gain more xp as well as getting to 99 took ages, the crybabies said. Now that Blizzard have given us a mechanic to progress even further after level 60 and made it similar to Diablo 2 that it will take ages before you max out your level, people are STILL not happy.

And OF COURSE we get people linking EVERY SINGLE change to the RMAH. Jesus, you people QQ all day don't you?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

1) It basically gives us the long level grind of D2 - good thing in my opinion.  It's enough to get me back to play for a while.  If it's like D2 I don't expect to try to get much past lvl 90, although if it doesn't have death penalties then it's not such a big deal.

2) Added MF/GF - Huge buff and I love it.  I hated the idea that I needed to swap out gear just before a kill to boost MF.  That's a horrible system

They still need to address issues like itemization and drop rates.  They also need to address bots, but I don't ever expect them too really make a dent on botters or even ID most of them.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Can someone explain?

The game could be easily defeated by the time you hit 60 in D2. 99 was a very long grind and not many bothered. I've never used the RMAH. Claiming a game  is built around an auction house you don't even need is a bit silly. It's like claiming a car is built around it's cupholders.

But the fact that people actually buy the best top end items off the RMAH actually proves this game was built around the RMAH. Prove me wrong. I bet your next response will be "but no one would spend 250 bucks on a stupid item."

I haven't bought a single item on the gold or RMAH. The new patch will actually make it easier for most people to not buy items because as they continue to play, they will become stronger just from the extra levels that provide additional core stats.

If you are the type of person that can't resist buying the best gear in order to "beat the game" then that is your problem. Many people consider buying gear to beat the game cheapening the game and ruining the main purpose if this game (Finding stuff!!!) The game's population is made up of both type of people. Buyers and finders. I'll bet the buyer types are the ones who complain the most.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

Diablo at its core is a progression treadmill from start to finish. This just gives more content. Unique content? No, but more content nonetheless.

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't mean this as a negative. When I play the game I play to progress my character. Once progression stops, I stop playing period.

There is no content in the Paragon system. IT provides stat boosts and perks. The perks are soley ment to provide more items for RMAH sales for Blizzard. No other reason at all. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Here is how I see diablo3, it is not a game I will play Like a mmorg, I do get bored of it after an hour..but, I do keep coming back for the odd hour, and it's fun for that hour. I don't care about the rmah, I use the other one, and I like the idea of that huge progression trail to paragon 100, in fact it feel pleasantly old fashioned. When you stop thinking of the game as a blizzard cash cow and just play it as a mindless blast, it is fun. And with no sub, job is a good one.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

One of this 3 options is the point, guess which :

1. Zug Zug

2. Work Work

3. Dabu

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

So many failed posts and trollings here I almost didn't want to respond.

RMAH has NOTHING to do with my Diablo 3 experience.  I play Hardcore and Only hardcore.  So....  Learn to play with the big boys and stop complaining about the RMAH?

1.04 fixed a lot of issues, the 100 bonus levels are just an added feature while you farm items.  Diablo 2 was all about farming items only it has 10000x the bots and hacks as Diablo 3 does...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

By that logic  D2 was built around illegal gold and item selling sites. Again it's like saying cars are built around cupholders.

Sorry you'll never catch me saying humans aren't stupid. Morons would spend $5,000 on items if it was allowed. It's been done before.

Thank you for those morons. I would be more than happy to make money off them while having fun killing stuff.