Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there going to be full servers at start of early access?

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

On the most recent stress test. I noticed that as soon as I logged in at the minute it went up there were full servers where you couldn't even access to create a character on.

Is this going to be the same the minute we login for early access due to guilds pre-selecting a server and such?

Comments

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    only time can tell
  • PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

On the most recent stress test. I noticed that as soon as I logged in at the minute it went up there were full servers where you couldn't even access to create a character on.

Is this going to be the same the minute we login for early access due to guilds pre-selecting a server and such?

GW2 will use overflow servers. Once you create a character if you can't get on your server you'll be bumped to an overflow server. So you can still play. No worries :)

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

You could probably place money on it.

Unless ANET forsee's this and adds space or something, which I highly doubt.

I know people / guilds in groups are taking time off just to make sure to get onto the server they want and save names so I'd be surprised if it didn't fill servers up within minutes of prelease launch.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Haven't kept up with the numbers, but there's like 2.5 million prepurchases?

2 million people slamming servers at once..............Yeah, i imagine overflows will earn their keep at launch

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

By the looks of the distribution on census sites there will definately be a few full servers. fortunately we have free transfers to distribute population accordingly for the first week of game play. Whilst there are overflow servers GW2 does hardcap population preventing new accounts joining those servers after a certain limit. 

From what we've seen in previous BWE's this seems to be an imposed cap by Arena Net to help distribute population at launch as many of the caps that were in place on day 1 of a previous bwe (after a server wipe) were lifted later on. 

For anyone that gets in on the 30th to find their guilds server to be full I would suggest starting a character else where temporarily and using a transfer to meet up with guild friends before the week is out. From the census this might involve having to communicate with your guild that there is not enough space on the desired desintation server and start talks about transferring elsewhere. So far in the EU there are 2 servers in particular that I feel are going to fall into the whole guilds needing to transfer away category.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Not sure why every one is talking about overflow when you cannot even create a character on the servers that are full to begin with.

Also on note about Kyus's mention of server transfers. Are names unique to one server or to all of the US servers?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I kind of expect it.  I don't see how there will be that big a difference between the servers now and at launch, hopefully this doesn't mean anyone gets separated from their friends (ie: I think server transfers are free for the first day?  More?)
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I expect this to be a pretty big problem. If the server your guild is going to gets full, you will be unable to make that server your home server. I think if peoples heads explode about anything at launch, it'll be this.

I think that instead of putting a cap on the number of people allowed to choose a home server, they should just make heavy use of overflow servers in the beginning. Since people can decide to move for free in the beginning, perhaps some guilds would move away from the servers where they have to be in overflow all the time.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Not sure why every one is talking about overflow when you cannot even create a character on the servers that are full to begin with.

Also on note about Kyus's mention of server transfers. Are names unique to one server or to all of the US servers?

I think names are unique game wide including international.... Hence why a second name is encouraged (this is true of GW1). Those single word names are going to be like gold dust. I believe this has to be the case because of the guesting mechanic. One of the useful things that will help keep track should you need to use an alternative server at launch is that your friends list is tied to your account name (name.####) so irregardless of where you are you should still be able to join a guild and chat in game until you can all meet up via a transfer.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Kyus_HoB
    Originally posted by AzurePrower Not sure why every one is talking about overflow when you cannot even create a character on the servers that are full to begin with. Also on note about Kyus's mention of server transfers. Are names unique to one server or to all of the US servers?
    I think names are unique game wide including international.... Hence why a second name is encouraged (this is true of GW1). Those single word names are going to be like gold dust. I believe this has to be the case because of the guesting mechanic. One of the useful things that will help keep track should you need to use an alternative server at launch is that your friends list is tired to your account name (name.####) so irregardless of where you are you should still be able to join a guild and chat in game until you can all meet up via a transfer.

Thanks for the info!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I kind of expect it.  I don't see how there will be that big a difference between the servers now and at launch, hopefully this doesn't mean anyone gets separated from their friends (ie: I think server transfers are free for the first day?  More?)

love the sig!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    remember, they do have other servers to add later if it gets tooo bad.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Yes, Absolutely.

They will open more before official launch on Tuesday.

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30
    There will be full servers within a few hours into the early access.

Originally posted by Hydros13
    There will be full servers within a few hours into the early access.

Originally posted by jdnyc

Yes, Absolutely.

They will open more before official launch on Tuesday.

Originally posted by Tokken
    remember, they do have other servers to add later if it gets tooo bad.

This is my biggest concern even with transfers and hard population caps.

If they go in intentionally holding back servers for the 30th you run into this problem of having more guilds split on the 30th and more overloaded servers on the 30th. Arena Net must have the statistics to make a prediction of the required capacity and launch the headstart with the capacity required for the 30th allowing guilds to distribute properly from day 1 instead of day 4. This problem grows with the issue of having to not launch 1 new server at a time but to launch 3 new servers or 6 or 9 no inbetween.