Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has GW2 done right?

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

They've created a great hype train they've got that down. They've got PvP down. They've got the story down. They've gotten rid of those stupid boring quests and prelaced them with Dynamic Events which are awesome and meaningful and hearts which when you play with other people, it'll be fun.

What have they done right?

Comments

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Syno23

They've created a great hype train.

Fixed.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

The game world atmosphere and the sheer size of exploration available to you at launch. Rift is probably the best example of a  MMO that launched with to small of a world. Swtor on the other hand launched with what appeared to be massive worlds but turned out to be lifeless card board cut-outs with very little room for exploration. In Swtor you basically had one path to tavel in order ro get from point A to Point B, So lame.

I think GW2 has recaptured alot of the magic people expieranced the first time they played WOW and were just in awe of this "open beautiful world", Of course GW2 has knocked it out of the park when compared to WOW now but they do seem to have recaptured that initial sense of wonder in the player.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108

Hmm packaging and presentation are pretty fresh, nothing entirely new in my honest opinion, but it will spark the MMO gamer inside of you that's for sure.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Uh, you just answered yourself?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

i assume OP wants more examples

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    They made a fun game were other people near you isn't a frustration, like in most mmo's.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by thunderC

The game world atmosphere and the sheer size of exploration available to you at launch. Rift is probably the best example of a  MMO that launched with to small of a world. Swtor on the other hand launched with what appeared to be massive worlds but turned out to be lifeless card board cut-outs with very little room for exploration. In Swtor you basically had one path to tavel in order ro get from point A to Point B, So lame.

I think GW2 has recaptured alot of the magic people expieranced the first time they played WOW and were just in awe of this "open beautiful world", Of course GW2 has knocked it out of the park when compared to WOW now but they do seem to have recaptured that initial sense of wonder in the player.

QFT

I am an explorer more than anything and I haven't had these feelings about exploring an MMOG since EQ. Sure WoW was pretty solid for exploration but nothing beat EQ. Massive world were you could spend hours crossing it, never knowing what you might find. I was the first time a game did this in a persistant way. Anarchy Online had really good exploration as well.

But GW2 is so explorer friendly I actually just found something in Queensdale I've never found in easily 40 hours spend in the zone. The long crevasse on the very left side of the zone populated with trolls. Got my butt kicked there with my lvl 3 but was still fun! :) Great thing is, I'm absolutely possitive it isn't the only thing I hadn't discovered.

In terms of games that disappointed me in terms of exploration, SWTOR is at the top of that list. There are two or three planets with a little exploration but the rest of that game is strait point a-b paths with cardboard scenery. Sure it was painted on nicely but it was still a static scene you could never actually check out. In GW2 when I see an awesome structure in the distance, I can go check it out.. and chances are I can explore it as well!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by Syno23

They've created a great hype train.

Fixed.

Hmm, GW2 hasn't created the hype team, it has been the players. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    They made a fun game were other people near you isn't a frustration, like in most mmo's.

This is actually huge. Especially in the game's early days.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

lol iwas gonna say the same thing haha he already say it all  he just miss the beauty of the open world  .

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Yeah this is probably the 1st mmo in recent year's i didn't get annoyed seeing other player's in pve. And people helping each other is really nice also, see someone that just dropped dead and go rez them.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Some of my best times have been playing mmorpgs with my two sons. With them working now I can't get very far ahead of them in typical games because it takes the fun out of grouping. What Anet has done right is to allow me the freedom to go out and do whatever I want, and gain levels not having to worry about getting ahead of my sons. With the sidekick system I can play right along side of them and still feel challenged and enjoy their company! Thats just one of many things they have done right! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

Yeah this is probably the 1st mmo in recent year's i didn't get annoyed seeing other player's in pve. And people helping each other is really nice also, see someone that just dropped dead and go rez them.

thats because everyone can rez now.....

Not really. I wouldn't give two shits if someone who I was not grouped with died in another MMO since we're competing for objectives. In fact, I would laugh and keep on keep on. And I would expect them to do the very same. 

However, in Guild Wars 2, because everyone shares the same goals and the same objectives, and everyone's rewarded for participating as well as objectives scaling in difficulty or strength, I find myself (and I'm sure many others do too) compelled to pick someone up because this person is an asset to completing the dynamic event. The faster I can get them back in the fight, the faster we can complete the dynamic event and sometimes see it progress to it's next stages. 

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

There's a good idea. I hated that in SW:TOR and in other games where people quest together and then steal your kills and loot and you coudn't level up because of it. But in GW2 you can level up faster when there's even more people on. To a certain extent. Hearts still have that disadvantage, but it is replaced by Dynamic Events.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

thats because everyone can rez now.....

Not really. I wouldn't give two shits if someone who I was not grouped with died in another MMO since we're competing for objectives. In fact, I would laugh and keep on keep on. And I would expect them to do the very same. 

However, in Guild Wars 2, because everyone shares the same goals and the same objectives, and everyone's rewarded for participating as well as objectives scaling in difficulty or strength, I find myself (and I'm sure many others do too) compelled to pick someone up because this person is an asset to completing the dynamic event. The faster I can get them back in the fight, the faster we can complete the dynamic event and sometimes see it progress to it's next stages. 

But see, that's the thing. In another MMO, you wouldn't give two shits if someone you didn't group with died. Though, *some* players did; they went out of their way, risked not completing their objectives and/or getting ganked just so they could help a stranger. I valued that. I also liked that there could be competition as well as cooperation within the same allegiance, it was as if each underlined the other. With GW2 you have no way to go but nice. :)

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Intresting PvP Combat. That is all.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Not really the items you pick up at hearts arent all shown for everyone i may pick up a bomb and my friend see that bomb there still and can pick it up aswell, wont happen everytime like the crafting nodes but it do happen.
  • ClobClob Member Posts: 130

This is actually a very major point.  All of us that have played several mmo's know that feeling you get when you're given a quest to do something, fight your way through mobs for several minutes to get to a location just to find several people standing around waiting their turn to complete the objective.  ANet said early that they were creating a cooperative pve gameplay experience and they've done it.  In the hours that I've been able to play I've discovered that I've actually wanted other random players around when I'm doing things.  It hasn't mattered if it's a DE, a heart quest or just running around attacking mobs in my way, that unspoken temporary partnership in eliminating foes is enjoyable.  In addition to that, we won't be seeing the same names as we level with a growing hate ("oh, it's that jerk again"), but with a growing familiarity ("oh, this guy will attack in this manner") so we can essentially play off of these 'strangers' as we would our usual party members.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

The game is never wasting my time. Everything I want to do is within minutes of any given waypoint or instantly accessible via a menu.

Of course I will always find ways to waste my time, it's just that none of these seem artificial.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

What has GW2 done right?  Yes we can say some of the things or more realistically a lot of the things Guild Wars 2 is doing are very similar to games in the past, and present BUT the big thing is that its finally doing them justice.   They may be familiar or similar but Guild Wars 2 is revolutionizing them by putting a well built twist on them and the putting not just one or two good things within the game but hundreds.

I personaly wouldn't feel Guild Wars 2 is revolutionary if it only changed 1 or 2 or even 5 big things but because its bringing so many different things to the table in a very solid built game THAT is why its revolutionary.

No more fighting over loot

No more fighting over Kill Stealing

No more fighting over Resources

New way of doing quests

New way of rewarding Exploration

Hidden puzzle dungeons ** OMG love these things!!!

Attention to detail, not just on a few things, but on nearly everything even in hidden places where most people wont consider looking.

I could probably list so many more but I'm sure most of you can agree with me, its not just 1 thing that makes Guild Wars 2 revolutionary or great its the entire package rolled up into what makes Tyria!!!   As you can see I don't mind giving credit where credit is due because ANET deserves it for everything they have done within this game.  People may be burnt out on the genre and can't see how awesome or awe inspiring these things because they have familiar feel but if you break it down No other game does or even comes close to do what Guild Wars 2 is providing. 

What Has Guild Wars 2 done right?  On top of everything I stated above its Buy 2 Play!!!  <--- revolutionary baby!!

*edit* though they need to fix sPvP so that smaller groups in a party do not get seperated onto opposing teams when joining a match.  Thats probably my biggest gripe.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Apropo

What has GW2 done right?  Yes we can say some of the things or more realistically a lot of the things Guild Wars 2 is doing are very similar to games in the past, and present BUT the big thing is that its finally doing them justice.   They may be familiar or similar but Guild Wars 2 is revolutionizing them by putting a well built twist on them and the putting not just one or two good things within the game but hundreds.

I personaly wouldn't feel Guild Wars 2 is revolutionary if it only changed 1 or 2 or even 5 big things but because its bringing so many different things to the table in a very solid built game THAT is why its revolutionary.

No more fighting over loot

No more fighting over Kill Stealing

No more fighting over Resources

New way of doing quests

New way of rewarding Exploration

Hidden puzzle dungeons ** OMG love these things!!!

Attention to detail, not just on a few things, but on nearly everything even in hidden places where most people wont consider looking.

I could probably list so many more but I'm sure most of you can agree with me, its not just 1 thing that makes Guild Wars 2 revolutionary or great its the entire package rolled up into what makes Tyria!!!   As you can see I don't mind giving credit where credit is due because ANET deserves it for everything they have done within this game.  People may be burnt out on the genre and can't see how awesome or awe inspiring these things because they have familiar feel but if you break it down No other game does or even comes close to do what Guild Wars 2 is providing. 

What Has Guild Wars 2 done right?  On top of everything I stated above its Buy 2 Play!!!  <--- revolutionary baby!!

*edit* though they need to fix sPvP so that smaller groups in a party do not get seperated onto opposing teams when joining a match.  Thats probably my biggest gripe.

Agreed with everything you said up until the edit.  I know MMO's are to be sociable experiences but the reason why alot of players dont do raids is the reason why alot will skip PvP when you force players to either play versus premades or join one themselves.  Hot Join sPvP should ALWAYS be about the individual and not the group unless you guarentee premades fight premades.  Seeing as GW2 already offers tourneys for premades and WvW for larger organized groups the hot join sPvP must remain solo friendly.

My biggest gripe with your biggest gripe is I as a solo player am at the mercy of luck as to wether I face a premade or another pug group and its the largest single reason why I left SWTOR, Rift and TSW.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

In fact I need to add the only reason I am looking forward to GW2 as much as I am is because there is no raiding and no premade PvP (minus tourneys)  If Anet was to change any one of those two it would be a deal breaker for me and no amount of additional features would get me to stay.  Ive been an MMO wanderer for the last 2 years and I would do so for another 2 years finding the right game that catered to my style of play period.

Yes I am pretty damn passionate about this and I hate the elitism that those two forms of play styles (raids and premades)  promote and abhore them to my very core.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

if they allowed premades to be an option would mean a lot to me.  Especially those who wish to compete as a team they need to be able to practice inbetween matches to work as a team.  Sometimes the entire team isn't available.

I just really hated going into spvp with 2 of my friends and randomly being placed on different teams when we were trying to test things as a team specifically in sPvP.    If that somehow was an option well then I'd have no serious gripes with the game really.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    The music and ambient in GW2 is absolutely amazing.
    Originally posted by Apropo

if they allowed premades to be an option would mean a lot to me.  Especially those who wish to compete as a team they need to be able to practice inbetween matches to work as a team.  Sometimes the entire team isn't available.

I just really hated going into spvp with 2 of my friends and randomly being placed on different teams when we were trying to test things as a team specifically in sPvP.    If that somehow was an option well then I'd have no serious gripes with the game really.

I would have no problems whatsoever with this and even promote it myself but only, and its a big and huge ONLY you did so versus other premades.  You gain ZERO team experience steam rolling pugs.  In the absense of that then you need to play tourneys.