Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is my carrot?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by gieger808
    Originally posted by funyahns
    I kind of get it. I enjoy getting gear throughout the game with groups and stuff. But when you hit the end of line, and you are doing the same stuff over and over again in hopes of getting a roll on something.   How is running the same few instances honestly any different? 

I'm not a big fan of the gear grind. That wasn't my point, but others have made it a debate of that.

My point was that the carrot on a stick concept exists because of human nature. Our desire to grow and become more, even in a game. If that was gone, what is in it's place? Why am I playing? Once killing for the sake of killing gets old?

like people have shown GW2 has a ton of stuff to strive for with pvp gear, dungeon gear, crafting gear, legendary weapons, map completion, max crafting professions, tons of options with builds and socketing up gear, PVP tourny's, then you can do this with all the classes you enjoy if you like more than 1 this is going to take a LONG time then add on all the dungeon modes, Orr, Elder dragon battle, WvWvW... again there is a lot to do:)  oh! forgot dyes!!! dyes dyes dyes:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm not a big fan of the gear grind. That wasn't my point, but others have made it a debate of that.

My point was that the carrot on a stick concept exists because of human nature. Our desire to grow and become more, even in a game. If that was gone, what is in it's place? Why am I playing? Once killing for the sake of killing gets old?

.... but cosmetic carrots are still carrots!  From cosmetic skins to titles.

There's also the desire to improve yourself and your skills in a game.

There's also the desire to hang out and do things with friends in the game.

There's also the desire to explore and find new things.

They didn't remove all the carrots, and the 'improve your character' carrot probably works for a good 150+ hours or so.  Maybe even longer (Getting the specific stats you want on the highest quality armor might take longer than that).

... but there are plenty of people playing plenty of games, where that has been more than enough.

Many people also find the idea of limitless gear/character grind to be silly.

It's a matter of taste.  Also, when people suggest you find another game, that can be perfectly legitimate advice.  My suggestion is you play it until you dont' feel the lure to keep playing, then figure that was probably great value for your 60 bucks by then.  :)  No reason to not play a game you can't enjoy, but if lack of endless-gear-carroting is your biggest complaint, I think you can probably enjoy it for a while, and then stop when none of the carrots they DO have entice you any further.

Maybe you'll find you enjoy chasing cosmetics or hanging out with friends and improving your personal skills more than you think. :)  (Best case scenario!)

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    I kind of get it. I enjoy getting gear throughout the game with groups and stuff. But when you hit the end of line, and you are doing the same stuff over and over again in hopes of getting a roll on something.   How is running the same few instances honestly any different? 

When you start your OP with "I need grinds" then it is quite sensible to think you are talking about gear grinds.  Did you mean something else?

Grind mechanics aren't about FUN they are about exploiting the human brain using behaviorism to keep people playing.  That's why you see grinds largely loathed in most games, save in P2P MMOs where suddenly it is mostly accepted.  They are only used there to keep up sub fees.  And yes, there's a huge difference between fun and psychological tricks to get people to repeat behavior (though cognitive dissonance can blur this distinction after the fact).

You basically started your OP saying "I want slow, repetitive tasks to do!"  Is it any wonder you are having trouble finding anyone that agrees with you?

I and others have already provided a large list of things you can do if you want in the game at max level.  If none of them appeal to you, then GW2 isn't going to be a game you want to play after you hit 80 or so.  Nothing wrong with that.  Come back when you can explore more content.  If you don't like the content either..well, then don't come back at all, imho.  This isn't being mean, I'm just saying "if you don't enjoy it, then don't do it".  An attitude like that is only problematic for a game company if few or no people enjoy the game, which I don't think will be the case in GW2.

Frankly, the game has a LOT more combat depth than other MMOs.  How you decide on skills, traits, weapons, etc, etc.  There's a lot of variation there to explore.  Further, some combinations will undoubtedly require more skill to pull off.  So there's exploring options and mastering skills.  If that's not meaningful depth, far more meaningful than grinding, and nothing else is meaningful to you either, then just stop after you hit max level.  You'll have gotten your money's worth by then easily.

Frankly, I can think of a ton of single-player and multi-player games I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours on easily.  WoW was the only grindy one, and I have mixed feelings about ever playing it, honestly.  All the other games I've spent lots of time on weren't grinds.  Why did I keep playing them?  Because they were fun.  The reward was a game that had depth and provided enjoyment moment to moment, not as some sort of carrot at the end of a stick to keep me going on a treadmill.  The former is solid game design, the latter is exploitive.

But again.  If having fun in the moment doesn't happen or isn't enough for you, if all the various things like cosmetics, dungeons, traits, skills, legendaries, etc, etc aren't enough, if team play isn't fun, if team pvp and WvWvW isn't fun, if exploring content isn't fun, if exploring builds and raising skill isn't fun...then don't play.  There's a lot of stuff to do.  If you don't like any of it, then don't do it.  I'm not in favor of you not having fun anymore than you are.  It sucks in a way if none of the many options ends up being fun for you, but let's not act like there isn't a lot going on.  There is.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Drachasor

When you start your OP with "I need grinds" then it is quite sensible to think you are talking about gear grinds.  Did you mean something else?

Grind mechanics aren't about FUN they are about exploiting the human brain using behaviorism to keep people playing.  That's why you see grinds largely loathed in most games, save in P2P MMOs where suddenly it is mostly accepted.  They are only used there to keep up sub fees.  And yes, there's a huge difference between fun and psychological tricks to get people to repeat behavior (though cognitive dissonance can blur this distinction after the fact).

You basically started your OP saying "I want slow, repetitive tasks to do!"  Is it any wonder you are having trouble finding anyone that agrees with you?

I and others have already provided a large list of things you can do if you want in the game at max level.  If none of them appeal to you, then GW2 isn't going to be a game you want to play after you hit 80 or so.  Nothing wrong with that.  Come back when you can explore more content.  If you don't like the content either..well, then don't come back at all, imho.  This isn't being mean, I'm just saying "if you don't enjoy it, then don't do it".  An attitude like that is only problematic for a game company if few or no people enjoy the game, which I don't think will be the case in GW2.

Frankly, the game has a LOT more combat depth than other MMOs.  How you decide on skills, traits, weapons, etc, etc.  There's a lot of variation there to explore.  Further, some combinations will undoubtedly require more skill to pull off.  So there's exploring options and mastering skills.  If that's not meaningful depth, far more meaningful than grinding, and nothing else is meaningful to you either, then just stop after you hit max level.  You'll have gotten your money's worth by then easily.

Frankly, I can think of a ton of single-player and multi-player games I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours on easily.  WoW was the only grindy one, and I have mixed feelings about ever playing it, honestly.  All the other games I've spent lots of time on weren't grinds.  Why did I keep playing them?  Because they were fun.  The reward was a game that had depth and provided enjoyment moment to moment, not as some sort of carrot at the end of a stick to keep me going on a treadmill.  The former is solid game design, the latter is exploitive.

But again.  If having fun in the moment doesn't happen or isn't enough for you, if all the various things like cosmetics, dungeons, traits, skills, legendaries, etc, etc aren't enough, if team play isn't fun, if team pvp and WvWvW isn't fun, if exploring content isn't fun, if exploring builds and raising skill isn't fun...then don't play.  There's a lot of stuff to do.  If you don't like any of it, then don't do it.  I'm not in favor of you not having fun anymore than you are.  It sucks in a way if none of the many options ends up being fun for you, but let's not act like there isn't a lot going on.  There is.

Fair enough.

I think I get what eveyone is saying. Most of those interested in GW2 aren't looking for a game for the long haul. They are happy with a pickup-n-play mmo. A casual experience. I can wrap my mind around that. Maybe it will be a good game until something more substantial (by my criteria) comes along.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

I need grinds. I need meaningful things to work for after level cap. I worry that GW2 doesn't have that.

If GW2 claims to have gotten rid of the gear/item grind, it needs to replace it with something. The "carrot on a stick" concept exists for a reason. It's what keep people playing once the mechanics of the game get old.

After the shine of the combat system wears off, there isn't much left to the game.

I need more character development than just simple cosmetics and pets.

Do I have the wrong impression of GW2? Are my expectaions too high for GW2? Am I expecting a action MMO to be more like a MMORPG?

I WANT to like GW2. Help me understand if I'm wrong. I need a mmo home! lol

Two things you should be aware of:

1) http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360836 (one of my favorite threads)

2) 7000 Crafting Recipes

There IS grind if you are willing to look for it (it's just not mandatory)

Fair enough.

I think I get what eveyone is saying. Most of those interested in GW2 aren't looking for a game for the long haul. They are happy with a pickup-n-play mmo. A casual experience. I can wrap my mind around that. Maybe it will be a good game until something more substantial (by my criteria) comes along.

umm not really at all... what people are saying is you have the options for the hardcore long term carrot on a stick strive to complete goals but they are not "required" to enjoy the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Stx11

I need grinds. I need meaningful things to work for after level cap. I worry that GW2 doesn't have that.

If GW2 claims to have gotten rid of the gear/item grind, it needs to replace it with something. The "carrot on a stick" concept exists for a reason. It's what keep people playing once the mechanics of the game get old.

After the shine of the combat system wears off, there isn't much left to the game.

Do I have the wrong impression of GW2? Are my expectaions too high for GW2? Am I expecting a action MMO to be more like a MMORPG?

Two things you should be aware of:

1) http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360836 (one of my favorite threads)

2) 7000 Crafting Recipes

There IS grind if you are willing to look for it (it's just not mandatory)

I mean, if you want to make it a grind.  If you enjoy doing it, then it isn't a grind at all.  Note this is different than doing something because of the reward at the end.

Fair enough.

Obviously not familiar with the grinds in GW1.

There will be some crazy life-warping godawful years-consuming grinds, but they're cosmetic.

... or are you saying it's not how hard you work, it's how you're rewarded that determines if you're casual or hardcore, and that hardcores refuse to do anything without power progression? :)

Fair enough.

How many times do people have to say "there are tons of things to do" before you realize that there are tons of things to do?

If you don't like those things, that's fine.  That doesn't mean they don't exist, however.

Originally posted by Meowhead

Fair enough.

Obviously not familiar with the grinds in GW1.

There will be some crazy life-warping godawful years-consuming grinds, but they're cosmetic.

... or are you saying it's not how hard you work, it's how you're rewarded that determines if you're casual or hardcore, and that hardcores refuse to do anything without power progression? :)

So far, I don't think GW2 has signs of having any real grinds, unless one gets so focused on goals like "knowing all crafting recipes" that they don't enjoy getting each one.  Or getting all cosmetic sets to the point of not enjoying the process either.

Certainly, everything that can be done, it would seem that you can do that and enjoy it each step of the way.  Dungeons for cosmetic sets?  They have multiple paths so it takes a lot longer to get old (and are challenging).

GW1 was a LOT different here, with a ton of grinds and repetition.  I'm hopefuly that GW2 will avoid most of that -- probably can't avoid it all, however.  But avoiding grinds doesn't mean that it avoids having stuff to do.

So far, I don't think GW2 has signs of having any real grinds, unless one gets so focused on goals like "knowing all crafting recipes" that they don't enjoy getting each one.  Or getting all cosmetic sets to the point of not enjoying the process either.

Certainly, everything that can be done, it would seem that you can do that and enjoy it each step of the way.  Dungeons for cosmetic sets?  They have multiple paths so it takes a lot longer to get old (and are challenging).

GW1 was a LOT different here, with a ton of grinds and repetition.  I'm hopefuly that GW2 will avoid most of that -- probably can't avoid it all, however.  But avoiding grinds doesn't mean that it avoids having stuff to do.

100%ing all the achievements.

I'm sorry, any time you have to kill 100,000 of like every single type of lifeform on the planet, that's a grind. xD

These are things you won't conceivably do in a normal timespan unless you sit down and REALLY work at doing them.

Some people might be doing that for fun, and you could eventually get them all on accident, but I'd say most people who acheive things like that are sitting down and grinding. :)

Some things seem like they could be super time consuming, like making Legendary Weapons....

Which if you're doing it just for the item, rather than because you're having fun, will be a grind for a carrot.

Whether or not somebody is enjoying it or grinding it out though, my whole point was just that there appear to be some fairly heftily long term goals that rival current MMORPGs, just they're not tied to power progression.

Having looked over the Achievements list in GW2... you are at least partially mistaken.

The difference is ANet puts those grinds in for Titles rather than more powerful gear, which is something at least most of us are thankful for >.>

EDIT: ninja'ed by the the Meow once again

This article brings up some of my concerns.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-2/1225830p1.html

and this one alleviates my concerns

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

but honestly its $60 and no monthly sub... not really a huge commitment IMHO.. bet you will get your moneys worth in just PVP or PVE alone

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

This thread addresses that here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/361470/page/1

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by evolver1972

Thanks. Though I wish the respones were more productive. Mostly just pvp'ers. And they always put on blinders to any other aspect of the game. Anything NOT pvp is a waste of time. Not helpful.

Originally posted by Meowhead

100%ing all the achievements.

I'm sorry, any time you have to kill 100,000 of like every single type of lifeform on the planet, that's a grind. xD

These are things you won't conceivably do in a normal timespan unless you sit down and REALLY work at doing them.

Some people might be doing that for fun, and you could eventually get them all on accident, but I'd say most people who acheive things like that are sitting down and grinding. :)

Some things seem like they could be super time consuming, like making Legendary Weapons....

Which if you're doing it just for the item, rather than because you're having fun, will be a grind for a carrot.

Whether or not somebody is enjoying it or grinding it out though, my whole point was just that there appear to be some fairly heftily long term goals that rival current MMORPGs, just they're not tied to power progression.

Looking at the Wiki, I see the kills as capping at 1000.  Is that wrong?  1000 is something that will easily happen through normal play with basically no effort.

Eh, there has to be more ranks than just up to 1k, right?  Hmm, maybe the wiki isn't filled out right.

I'm not sure on the requirements for legendary weapons as the wiki is pretty vague.  With a lot of that stuff, I think there are ways you could do it that are grindy, sure.  But if you actually enjoy most of the game, then a lot of it won't be grindy given that there's a good amount of combat depth.

Thanks. Though I wish the respones were more productive. Mostly just pvp'ers. And they always put on blinders to any other aspect of the game. Anything NOT pvp is a waste of time. Not helpful.

Again, there have been plenty of people talking about non-pvp things in this thread.  You seem to ignore it all.

Originally posted by Stx11

Having looked over the Achievements list in GW2... you are at least partially mistaken.

The difference is ANet puts those grinds in for Titles rather than more powerful gear, which is something at least most of us are thankful for >.>

EDIT: ninja'ed by the the Meow once again

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see the grind in the titles listed.  Not at all.  Going off the wiki here.

Again, there have been plenty of people talking about non-pvp things in this thread.  You seem to ignore it all.

No, I meant the thread about the article.

There are lots of useful information being posted in THIS thread. I am grateful.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

You obviously didn't read most of the responses on that thread.  I counted a grand total of ONE post strictly about PvP.  Other posts related to the supposed lack of trinity (there is one, it's just not a static one), the dodge mechanic and the inter-player communication in the game (or percieved lack of it).

So, if that thread wasn't helpful it was because you deliberately decided it wouldn't be before you actually read through it.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

If you NEED grinds, get all dungeon armor an weapons. That should hold you over.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Looking at the Wiki, I see the kills as capping at 1000.  Is that wrong?  1000 is something that will easily happen through normal play with basically no effort.

Eh, there has to be more ranks than just up to 1k, right?  Hmm, maybe the wiki isn't filled out right.

I'm not sure on the requirements for legendary weapons as the wiki is pretty vague.  With a lot of that stuff, I think there are ways you could do it that are grindy, sure.  But if you actually enjoy most of the game, then a lot of it won't be grindy given that there's a good amount of combat depth.

I'm pretty sure it's wrong. I think I got to Rank 2 on a couple of them over the course of the BWEs.

If it's like GW1 there will be 10 Ranks each progressively longer...

...Challenge Accepted

Hmmmm.  I could have sworn it goes past 1k.  I remember seeing a patch notes with numbers that made me blanch.  I think that was the patch talking about the title for player kills/dolyak kills in PvP, now that I think about it.  I'm also pretty sure things will go past rank 3, but I could be wrong!

For another look at a longeterm title grind that I know they have, look at the highest tier of PvP they've shown (9 out of 12), last time I saw it it was 7,500,000 glory to hit that tier.

At 50 glory or so a match, that might take a couple games (Maybe even as many as 6)

My point isn't really pertaining to the fun or lack of fun while playing long term... that's up to each individual person, really.

... let's ignore the word 'grind' for a moment and concentrate just on the fact there's definitely some extremely long term goals.

Even just getting a full set of legendary weapons for your character, for example.... at 200 skill points each, that's 90 minutes per skill point so.... 300 hours per legendary weapon, minimum (Or so).  The extra-legendary (Or whatever you want to call it) greatsword is TWO legendary weapons (Day blade and night blade), that you put together.  That's a minimum of  600 hours of extra play just to get a single weapon.

There are most certainly some extremely long term PvE goals out there. :)  Ones that are explicitly in the game, rather than made up.  Ones that'll make somebody stand out head and shoulders above other people, at least for a while.

I know it'll definitely be a 'holy shit' moment the first time I see somebody strolling around with that greatsword.

... and that's a totally PvE thing, debunking the whole 'Long term goals are only PvP" (Though PvP certainly has some amazingly hardcore goals to shoot for as well)

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk
    Is this one of those new edgy positive trolls I have been hearing so much about?

It's what's hot right now