Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So many guilds in GW2. How to choose from the pack?

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
I was biased and chose because of numbers and got a lucky hit. There's about 5 massive guilds out there. And I wanna be part of a masive guild. So what were your criteria and what did you end up with and are you happy going with this guild at launch?

Comments

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    My friends and I are forming a small guild with some people I played SWTOR and DCUO with.  Probably a total population of 20 people or so at launch so nothing huge.  I'm a-ok with that too, if it grows it grows and if not, well GW2 lets me join up with a bigger group too and still stay in the one with my buds.  Win Win.
  • KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    You can have multiply guilds, join them all.

I really dislike this feature, guilds are part of community, this makes guilds totally unimportant and irrelevant. 

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by KingGator

I really dislike this feature, guilds are part of community, this makes guilds totally unimportant and irrelevant. 

Not at all. Here's what happened to me in previous MMOs. In large guilds , it seemed each person would be talking a different conversation and made me feel my voice didn't matter. In small guilds, it would feel like I was the only one online in the guild , it would be hard to get a group together for PvE or PvP.

The multiple guild system in guild wars 2 is nice because say your PvE guild is all offline and you can simply switch to a PvP guild and have fun in WvWvW. 

By representing a guild you gain that guild influence which the guild leader can spend on various cosmetic rewards / buffs. 

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Unless in large guilds you find a click of people that you like and form a small group with them. There's always someone online to play with.
  • Originally posted by KingGator

i played ffxi and it had the same feature to an extent. what ended up happening was it made for an overall better community. people would jump in different guild chats and make for larger player experiences. also even though players were able to jump between linkshells, they ended up staying in one for the majority of the time. imho it's win win.

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

Pick a guild according to your play style. You know, like whether you play casually or more 'hardcore', things like that.

If you play more casually, you might just want a guild that will have a small community to keep you company while you play.

If you play more 'hardcore' you'll probably want a larger community with a lot of dedicated players to help speed up your productivity in the game.

That's always been the biggest consideration for me.

Also then you can ween out other little things.

You never really know what the people will be like until you join so look out for little clues in guild names and whatnot for things like racism, immaturity and whatever else you may be weary of.

Having a functional guild site is always a good sign.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

i played ffxi and it had the same feature to an extent. what ended up happening was it made for an overall better community. people would jump in different guild chats and make for larger player experiences. also even though players were able to jump between linkshells, they ended up staying in one for the majority of the time. imho it's win win.

So they're basically reducing the guild membership concept down to chat channel subscriptions?

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Syno23
    I was biased and chose because of numbers and got a lucky hit. There's about 5 massive guilds out there. And I wanna be part of a masive guild. So what were your criteria and what did you end up with and are you happy going with this guild at launch?

I joined a guild that has a core group of players whom have been gaming together in multiple different games for 3+ years now.  I wasn't to interested in a Massive sized guild more in the quality of people whom will be allowed into the guild.  I'm kind of picky and want to be around respectful mature people so I have my eye on one guild and hopefully they let me join their ranks.

I should add that when I join a guild or am part of a guild I don't plan on it being temp I plan on making long term friendships with the people.   So ya that too.  Online family so to speak.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Syno23

Well, the "core" tester guilds were leaked a while back, look up the list on pastebin. If you're looking for a hardcore guild, your best bet is one from that list. *cough*

• reichtreicht Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by grimal

So they're basically reducing the guild membership concept down to chat channel subscriptions?

Well, that and the most complex research and advancement tree I'm ever seen in a AAA MMO.  Oh, and keep ownership in WvWvW.

Edit:  And banks slots, and embroidered gear.

So basically everything in other games, plus more, plus you get multiple guilds.  Just no exclusion.

• Originally posted by reicht
    Originally posted by grimal

Well, that and the most complex research and advancement tree I'm ever seen in a AAA MMO.  Oh, and keep ownership in WvWvW. Edit:  And banks slots, and embroidered gear. So basically everything in other games, plus more, plus you get multiple guilds.  Just no exclusion.

yeah, it's really impressive. i wasn't too thrilled about the whole rented buffs from the guild points, but after i thought about it it made a lot of sense. i nice sized and active guild is going to be able to keep those going full time. it wont be like other guilds in other games i've been in where i feel obligated to a guild because we put in all the work to get it to whatever rank for benifits. the GW2 guild system is really well thought out imo.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
         Im having a difficult time figuring out if i should join any guilds or not, or even which server to join. I may have to just pick a server at random and hope for the best. My guild criteria is perhaps too rare for any guilds to fit into. But if anyone knows of any guilds with members in southern california who speak english, dont care too much what thier members choose to do with thier game time and dont mind off the wall conversation that isnt politically correct or moderated, i may be interested.