Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is my carrot?

gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

I need grinds. I need meaningful things to work for after level cap. I worry that GW2 doesn't have that.

If GW2 claims to have gotten rid of the gear/item grind, it needs to replace it with something. The "carrot on a stick" concept exists for a reason. It's what keep people playing once the mechanics of the game get old.

After the shine of the combat system wears off, there isn't much left to the game.

I need more character development than just simple cosmetics and pets.

Do I have the wrong impression of GW2? Are my expectaions too high for GW2? Am I expecting a action MMO to be more like a MMORPG?

I WANT to like GW2. Help me understand if I'm wrong. I need a mmo home! lol

Comments

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Everything is here : http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Have a nice read.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    The population is the carrot.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i'd read this http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

and check out videos in my sig:)

I have to say it was that link to the video compilation that made me purchase my copy of GW2 just this past monday.

So to you I say "thanks!"

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Is this one of those new edgy positive trolls I have been hearing so much about?
    Originally posted by Hokie

i'd read this http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

I have to say it was that link to the video compilation that made me purchase my copy of GW2 just this past monday.

glad I could help.. you get a chance to play this stress test at all?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

You always have something relevant to offer up Aerowyn, thanks.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Legendaries/Dungeons.

Is it this hard to research the game?

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Nope,so Im really looking forward to trying everything out. As a matter of fact it was after only 3-4 vids that I watched that I decided.

I really want this to be a fresh exciting time when I first start playing.

Only been reading up on the bare minimum of the races and classes (or professions). Im going to pop my GW2 cherry in 3D-5H-56M.  :)

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Legendaries/Dungeons.

And cosmetics, large-scale PvE, traits, skills, etc, etc.  Heck, there's doing new zones you haven't gone to, since you get scaled down so they aren't trivial.

To the OP:

And if the gameplay isn't fun...then why do you want a bribe to keep playing?  I'd rather the Devs learned the game wasn't fun so they could fix it or just quit.  Who the heck wants to be bribed in the game to keep playing something that is fundamentally not fun for them anymore?  No thanks.

For what it is worth, there are lots of games that keep a large following that don't need to bribe their players.  MMOs have used bribery to maintain subs, not because that's the only way to have a game that lasts.

Nope,so Im really looking forward to trying everything out. As a matter of fact it was after only 3-4 vids that I watched that I decided.

I really want this to be a fresh exciting time when I first start playing.

Only been reading up on the bare minimum of the races and classes (or professions). Im going to pop my GW2 cherry in 3D-5H-56M.  :)

lol nice I'm sure you will enjoy it:)

Originally posted by Drachasor

Legendaries/Dungeons.

And cosmetics, large-scale PvE, traits, skills, etc, etc.  Heck, there's doing new zones you haven't gone to, since you get scaled down so they aren't trivial.

To the OP:

And if the gameplay isn't fun...then why do you want a bribe to keep playing?  I'd rather the Devs learned the game wasn't fun so they could fix it or just quit.  Who the heck wants to be bribed in the game to keep playing something that is fundamentally not fun for them anymore?  No thanks.

For what it is worth, there are lots of games that keep a large following that don't need to bribe their players.  MMOs have used bribery to maintain subs, not because that's the only way to have a game that lasts.

"Fun" is a word that I didn't want to use. It's too highly subjective. Fun for me is deep systems and rewards for achievment that progress and improve my character. A participation award may be good enough for some, but I want meaningful rewards for my efforts. Rewards that set me apart from others.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    This is the best mmorpg I have ever played in fourteen years. This is going to be a serious contender for other mmo's.
    Originally posted by gieger808

Legendaries/Dungeons.

To the OP:

"Fun" is a word that I didn't want to use. It's too highly subjective. Fun for me is deep systems and rewards for achievment that progress and improve my character. A participation award may be good enough for some, but I want meaningful rewards for my efforts. Rewards that set me apart from others.

which this game has.. maybe not to you but to many it is.. so that is subjective as well

Originally posted by Gamefun
    This is the best mmorpg I have ever played in fourteen years. This is going to be a serious contender for other mmo's.

Awesome. Why?

id give this a look gives some examples of just how long it will take to get sets of the rarest gear 

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46603-faq-equipment-attributes-and-you-updated/

if you can't find your carrot in there games probably just not for you

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't think you'll have a problem with finding pursuits to set you apart from others. In GW, there were some horrendously difficult/time consuming activities to do for titles and the like. Some really cool armor was a real pain to get as well.  I don't know what things like this are going to be implimented into GW2, but I highly doubt they would just scrap it altogether when so many people worked really hard at acheiving these titles. There will likely be a similar title system, I just don't know what it is. Maybe someone else can help...

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Title

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kind_of_a_big_deal_title

This is what I've seen on GW2 titles so far

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Title

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Legendaries/Dungeons.

To the OP:

If GW2 doesn't appeal to you then play another game. You know how the game works and it's not going to change to suit you I'm afraid. Aerowyn has even set up an entire section to watch videos, there are tons of references on the internet to help you find the answers. I hope you can find a game you enjoy, but it looks as if GW2 will never be that game. 

Have a pleasent night/day.

edit: Took out a sentence I didn't like

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121

I need grinds. I need meaningful things to work for after level cap. I worry that GW2 doesn't have that.

If GW2 claims to have gotten rid of the gear/item grind, it needs to replace it with something. The "carrot on a stick" concept exists for a reason. It's what keep people playing once the mechanics of the game get old.

After the shine of the combat system wears off, there isn't much left to the game.

Do I have the wrong impression of GW2? Are my expectaions too high for GW2? Am I expecting a action MMO to be more like a MMORPG?

the whole game is the carrot, there's no mandatory stick (grind) present.

There's optional grind if you want to get things like legendaries and very unique armor skins

go ahead grind till you drop :D

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I need grinds. 

Sorry, GW2 is made for people who like games, not for mmorpg assisted chronocide.

One of their tenets is that they respect their players time, which means that they have to disrespect those who are masochistic with their own.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Legendaries/Dungeons.

To the OP:

Skill won't do it?

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Sythion

I need grinds. 

Sorry, GW2 is made for people who like games, not for mmorpg assisted chronocide.

One of their tenets is that they respect their players time, which means that they have to disrespect those who are masochistic with their own.

This is silly. Someone likes to grind, improve his/her char, and it s masochistic? Just because you dont like it, doesn t make it wrong. I have said a million times, GW2 is a good second, even third game. When all you re doing is killing for not really anything except the sake of killing, to me is redundant and boring. Does it mean the game isn t fun, no, for alot it isn t , but to me it s ok.

Saying GW2 is made for people that likes games is well, stupid. WoW is just as much a game as GW2 is, as is Rift, and AC, DAOC, etc etc. It s just that people have differing opinions. Funny how that works hey.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Leucent

This is silly. Someone likes to grind, improve his/her char, and it s masochistic? Just because you dont like it, doesn t make it wrong. I have said a million times, GW2 is a good second, even third game. When all you re doing is killing for not really anything except the sake of killing, to me is redundant and boring. Does it mean the game isn t fun, no, for alot it isn t , but to me it s ok.

Saying GW2 is made for people that likes games is well, stupid. WoW is just as much a game as GW2 is, as is Rift, and AC, DAOC, etc etc. It s just that people have differing opinions. Funny how that works hey.

Fortunately, there's some sense of order and objectivity to things people usually consider subjective: art, beauty, fun, etc.

For game design you can essentially consider this a basic, unalienable truth: if a game values wasting your time more than making you enjoy your time, it's a bad game. Those who enjoy it do so for a reason other than it being a good game. That reason is masochism, best I can tell.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Sythion
    Originally posted by Leucent

Fortunately, there's some sense of order and objectivity to things people usually consider subjective: art, beauty, fun, etc.

For game design you can essentially consider this a basic, unalienable truth: if a game values wasting your time more than making you enjoy your time, it's a bad game. Those who enjoy it do so for a reason other than it being a good game. That reason is masochism, best I can tell.

Once again it comes down to the individual. You call it wasting your time, others call it progressing their chars. In other words they enjoy it, and it s fun. You re saying if it s a time waster to you it must be for everyone else.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

You need WoW to be your MMO home.  Your expectations are too obscure for GW2.   This game does NOT need a carrot, because a carrot is for mindless people that follow shinny objects.  This game has more. 

• More character development with it's personal stories and ties into the game's world
    • More mini-games for things outside normal questing.
    • More crafting that allows full character progression based on just crafting.
    • More sieges and giant PvP raids against large groups of players over a castle.
    • More world exploration.
    • More lively cities.
    • Just more.
    Overall the game is a fun experience.  However, if you cannot see that without a carrot, please do yourself and everyone a favor and not play the game.