Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting Gamespy article: Our Questions and Concerns

PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-2/1225830p1.html

Though my experiences don't line up with those of the author of this article (especially those of combat!), it was a good read.

Comments

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    I'm concerned how they're going to raise money for expansions, at what quality, what will endgame be like, things that GW2 cannot service to hardcore players.
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Seems like the author doesn't understand the design of this game at all.
  • PilutPilut Member Posts: 47
    Cant say I'm too concerned with expansions, they proved in GW 1 they can put out quality product quite fast. Hardcore raiders will probably be very dissapointed with the lack of gear threadmills and other hoops to jump through.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    Seems like the author doesn't understand the design of this game at all.

yea got the same feeling reading that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96

he's not really concerned with all that. he is trying to appear unbiased(he is), but he loves the game a lot. can't be all song and dance.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Syno23
    I'm concerned how they're going to raise money for expansions, at what quality, what will endgame be like, things that GW2 cannot service to hardcore players.

Eh, how will they raise money for expansions?  How is that even a question?

Expansions, like the main game, will be B2P...eh, like most MMOs, eh?

"Endgame" is dungeons (they all have exploration modes that are tough), going after traits/skills/cosmetics/etc, exploring zones (they remain non-trivial due to scaling), structured PvP, WvWvW, and the big zone bosses.

If you want a progression game like WoW or raiding, then GW2 is not the game for you.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

And with hardcore players you mean PvE no life raiders. There is WvW and sPvP and we haven't seen endgame PvE yet. There was a time before WoW when people did lots of PvP because before WoW, PvP was actually FUUUUUN, FUUUUUN, F-U-NNNNN. Not grindy, FUNNNNN.

i know I posted this in a few threads already but really think its a good read on the dev's philosophy on adding content to the game

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927
    I wonder how much Blizzard paid IGN to write that one sided garbage

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

A dose of skepticism with anything touting itself as bigger than life is a healtthy approach.  As I've been told early on in life, take everything with a grain of salt.

I think this is what the writer was trying to get across.

(In other words, don't marry the girl after only dating a few weekends.  Give it a month or longer before you slap that ring on her finger).

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Probably the same way they raised money for expansions with GW1..... You know there were several successful expansions (or as they called them, campaigns), right? GW1 started with Prophecies, followed by Factions and then NightFall. Then, they followed up with what they actually called 'an expansion', called "Eye of the North". ALL were very successful.

In regards to servicing 'hardcore players'.....  I think you, like the author of that article, might not be as familiar with how ANet does things. ANet's concept and implementation of PVP >>>>>>>>> WoW's concept and implementation of pvp

No, the game doesn't include WoW like raids, requiring 10-20-40 people, all following a specific strategy to the letter and measuring success by gearscore. I will concede that when Blizzard designs a treadmill, it is THE end all/be all of treadmills.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by grimal

A dose of skepticism with anything touting itself as bigger than life is a healtthy approach.  As I've been told early on in life, take everything with a grain of salt.

I think this is what the writer was trying to get across.

(In other words, don't marry the girl after only dating a few weekends.  Give it a month or longer before you slap that ring on her finger).

It's just a 60 dollar game.

Let's not freak out and act like it's a major commitment.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I don't know. I played in all the weekend and stress test events, and I think most of those are valid concerns.

Lack of trinity, lack of classic endgame, lack of community interaction... Aren't these the things potential players are concerned (or outright complain) most about when it comes to GW2? 

The one with combat... Well, I think that's the author's "controversy" move. :) Still, I can't help but agree just a little bit. GW2's combat is noticably better than most MMOs, but I'd still have to give it to WOW for response time, fluid movement and overall flow. Still, GW2 combat feels at least a bit different and gives you ample variety within each class. I think that's gonna matter.

As for the "infestation of bugs" one, well that seems really forced... I did have weird stuff happening in this test (like being beamed back to half an hour ago), but overall the game looks quite polished. Probably the last game I'd be worried about in this regard.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Valid concerns that most people have expressed already. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by solarine

Lack of trinity, lack of classic endgame, lack of community interaction... Aren't these the things potential players are concerned (or outright complain) most about when it comes to GW2?

Cookie-Cutter Trinity, classic gear-grind endgame, forced community interaction ... aren't those the things potential players have been complaining about for years when it comes to MMOGs?

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Meleagar
    Originally posted by solarine

Cookie-Cutter Trinity, classic gear-grind endgame, forced community interaction ... aren't those the things potential players have been complaining about for years when it comes to MMOGs?

No those are things the minority in the MMO world have been complaining about.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    These are all valid concerns. I can't understand how so many people dismiss them. I like GW2 as much as the next person, but I too have many of the same concerns and so do many of the people that have posted here and have played beta. So many people claim to know when they have only experienced less than a quarter of the game.
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Dude that wrote that has been lurking here and stealing ideas from the forums!

Plagiarist.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Hi. It's the resident biggest apologist on the face this green earth for GW2 again.

Again, I've said this before in other threads, I have to agree with his concern about the community. While the game structure in terms of keeping things moving is great, it does lessen the need to communicate with one another. I very rarely saw anything amounting to casual banter between events. In fact, the quickness with which one can scamper about the world negates the need for problem solving with others. Because grouping isn't necessary, communication isn't a key component to accomplishing goals.

This is my biggest concern about the game. The remainder of the concerns in this article seem like padding. But he hits the nail on the head with his first concerns. This game could use something to slow down the players and encourage conversation. I'm sure that Holiday events will help do that, but there needs to be a mechanic that causes the players to break the ice and gel as a community.

Just my two cents.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Valid concerns that most people have expressed already. 

Pretty much this. 

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

People had these concerns about GW1 when it was released too, then they ended up being able (having money to) to make more content almost than the hardcore gamers could get through between expansions. With the ease of their system and the way they have made it very friendly for them to implement changes, I am no concerned about the money/quality/amount of their updates (and I am a hardcore player :P ). Will I run out of content? Probably, but I do on every game. I have a feeling, though, that I'll really enjoy the content and want to play it again on new characters/professions, do sPVP WwW, explore, etc.

EDIT: I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns with this comment,because they are legitimate (of any game),  this is just my opinion of it due to playing their products, helping them closed beta/open beta test both game, getting to know a few of their staff, etc :)

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    If I am not a big PVP mmo player should I still try  this game out?  Been holding back a bit and have not pulled the trigger on getting it, mainly because a lot that I read is a lot of PVP elements.  Will the PVE elements that I enjoy be in this game, deeds, achievments, titles, exploring, dungeons (I understand there are no raids) and crafting be in this game?   My current game I play is Lotro I try and stick with one monthly sub because of time, but this  is  B2P so no sub needed. 
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    If I am not a big PVP mmo player should I still try  this game out?  Been holding back a bit and have not pulled the trigger on getting it, mainly because a lot that I read is a lot of PVP elements.  Will the PVE elements that I enjoy be in this game, deeds, achievments, titles, exploring, dungeons (I understand there are no raids) and crafting be in this game?   My current game I play is Lotro I try and stick with one monthly sub because of time, but this  is  B2P so no sub needed. 

yes game is just as much about PVE as it is PVP all you are asking for PVE wise is in this game

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Hi. It's the resident biggest apologist on the face this green earth for GW2 again.

Again, I've said this before in other threads, I have to agree with his concern about the community. While the game structure in terms of keeping things moving is great, it does lessen the need to communicate with one another. I very rarely saw anything amounting to casual banter between events. In fact, the quickness with which one can scamper about the world negates the need for problem solving with others. Because grouping isn't necessary, communication isn't a key component to accomplishing goals.

This is my biggest concern about the game. The remainder of the concerns in this article seem like padding. But he hits the nail on the head with his first concerns. This game could use something to slow down the players and encourage conversation. I'm sure that Holiday events will help do that, but there needs to be a mechanic that causes the players to break the ice and gel as a community.

Just my two cents.

I will never understand why people need to be forced into things they want to do.  If you want to talk to players, talk to them, if not, don't.  It's your choice and I for one applaud Anet for giving us that in abundance:  Choice.

I think the main reason people weren't slowing down was that they felt they had limited time to do anything during the BWE's, but I also noticed as we've been getting closer to launch that people were taking their time to interact with each other and check out what the NPCs were doing also.

So, I don't think player interaction will be much of a problem as time goes on and people really start to wake up to the fact that the game is so much richer when you do slow down and pay attention to what's going on around you.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Valid concerns that some people have expressed already. 

Fixed that for ya.

And, in case you haven't noticed, those concerns have also been addressed by many people, many times.  Including Anet.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!