Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW: 75% off expansion sale until aug 27th

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7006231

Prepare for Pandaria with epic savings!

This week only, you can get the World of Warcraft Battle Chest for $5, Wrath of the Lich King for $5, and Cataclysm for $10 when you buy directly from Blizzard.

That’s 75% off the regular prices, making this a great time to set yourself up for the imminent launch of Mists of Pandaria… or to invite a friend to join you in Azeroth.

Hurry, this offer ends August 27, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. PDT.

Comments

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Holy crap thats an amazing deal.
  • XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    [mod edit]

I would expect any game with as many expansions as WoW has to do the same. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

personally i think WOW should be bundling expansions anyhow

what happens to new players from September forward?

do they have to pay for 4 expansions to see endgame?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    [mod edit]

Guarantee you we still get a few stragglers that state with religious conviction that it is nothing more than a coinkidink.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Desperation? More like an intelligent move. Every gaming company knows Guild Wars 2 will be a heavy contender. What do you think goes through the mind of a potential buyer if they have to pay a substantial amount of money on previous expansions before they can play WoW's new content, especially with an incredibly hyped up game like GW2 just around the corner going for a one-time fee? If they sit by idly, they risk losing players, and, consequently, money.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by stealthbr
    Desperation? More like an intelligent move. Every gaming company knows Guild Wars 2 will be a heavy contender. What do you think goes through the mind of a potential buyer if they have to pay a substantial amount of money on previous expansions before they can play WoW's new content, especially with an incredibly hyped up game like GW2 just around the corner going for a one-time fee? If they sit by idly, they risk losing players, and, consequently, money.

I agree it is smart which is why I said "strategically timed".  [mod edit]

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    It's ironic I suppose that the 1 expansion with the least consumer "value" is actually selling for the most.   Most of Cataclysm was just rehashed lower level content, which you get with Vanilla now .. Cataclysm for $0.49 would be more practical, go figure.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

intelligent move or desperation move. GW2 release is MAKING Blizzard jump. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    [mod edit]

Blizzard doesn't lower prices, people claim they are greedy.  Blizzard lowers prices, people claim they are desperate.

/shrug

Haters gonna hate.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    I agree, Blizzard is definitely shivering in there boots over Guild Wars 2.
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Oh, and to get the record straight, I am not playing WoW and I do plan on purchasing GW2.... but damn does this whole "Blizzard is running scared" business get old fast.  Not to mention if anything WoW related comes up, its the exact same people saying the same stuff in EVERY thread.

• PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7006231

Prepare for Pandaria with epic savings!

This week only, you can get the World of Warcraft Battle Chest for $5, Wrath of the Lich King for $5, and Cataclysm for $10 when you buy directly from Blizzard.

That’s 75% off the regular prices, making this a great time to set yourself up for the imminent launch of Mists of Pandaria… or to invite a friend to join you in Azeroth.

Hurry, this offer ends August 27, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. PDT.

It's about time Blizzard did something like this. Their game is aging. Nothing like a sale to grab interest. At 20 bucks the price is just right.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

I agree it is smart which is why I said "strategically timed".  [mod edit]

it makes sense with MoP coming out in one month that they will be reducing prices now so that new players can have a full month to get to 85 before Pandaria hits the shelves, so that they will then buy the game, it surprised me that Blizzard hasn't done this sooner.

Tbh Blizzard should just sell one game, with all expansions included, they would attract a lot more players that way. But then again, it must be working out for them well to sell them individually, or they would have done that already.

But yeah, like everything in the world coming out around the same time as Guild Wars 2, this was done purposely to clash with ArenaNet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need more Guild Wars 2 conspiracies....................................................................

• MrNoMrNo Member UncommonPosts: 114
    There will be more sales you can count on it.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Darnit, cheaper than the last sale they had, I would of saved 10$!!!! That money could of been better spent on a pizza, rather than on the gas for a blizzard exec yacht. 
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

thats a good deal.I remember i had bought the battlechest 20 eu and wotlk 30 cataclysm collectors for 80.

So ye thats a good deal anyone who wants to try wow for first time ti highly recommend

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Pretty sweet deal. I'm sure they will sell millions.
  • SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Pretty sure Blizzard gave this exact deal like 3 months ago. I think they did right before Wotlk and Cata realeased as well.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/wow-on-sale-from-vanilla-to-cataclysm-in-30/

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2010/11/wow-sale-until-nov30th/

Can't find the one before Wotlk still looking. - Blizzard created the Battle Chest pre Wotlk.

This has always been Blizzard ploy to rake in new players right before Xpacs or get returning ones, anyone who thinks this is because Blizzard is "scared" you are naive.

Noobs going to be noobs thinking its Blizzard afraid of GW2 even though it something they have been doing for years right before xpacs and big events.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Blizzard isn't scared, they're just setting it up so people will come and get ready for MoP, and making it extremely cheap to get into WoW.  If you've ever said "I want to get into WoW, but I'm spending that kind of money for the game and expansions" now's the time to get into it.  I know several friends I've met in other games that tried WoW trial and liked it, but the cost for all the expansions and games was too much.  I sense my RAF count is about to go up by about 20 or more :)  Like I've said a million times, Blizzard has no reason to be scared of any game.  They can lose 90% of thier current subs and still be around what every other developer dreams of for thier MMO (around a million subs).  None have even come close, and I doubt any will in the near future.

Edit: The launch date for MoP has nothing to do with any other game, Blizzard has almost ALWAYS released thier game/expansion for the year in sept-nov.  Look back over the release dates, almost every single one has been during this time.  Every WoW expansions and WoW itself has fallen in those months as well.  GW2 will be a great game I'm sure, but it will be just like the latest released MMOs, people have overhyped it and are going to be disappointed.  The fact that GW2 doesn't have a sub means that you can easily, and now thanks to this sale, very cheaply play both WoW and GW2 together.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Pretty sweet deal. I'm sure they will sell millions.

LOL +1

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Gravarg

... people have overhyped it and are going to be disappointed. 

The funny thing is, a person can say the same thing about all of the WoW expansion packs. 

Another thing, when Blizzard keeps dumbing down their game with each expansion pack, when does the game end up being as dumb as it can get?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Gravarg

... people have overhyped it and are going to be disappointed. 

The funny thing is, a person can say the same thing about all of the WoW expansion packs. 

Another thing, when Blizzard keeps dumbing down their game with each expansion pack, when does the game end up being as dumb as it can get?

Well not quite all .. sure Vanilla and TBC had some issues after launch, for instance the "You are not Prepared!" line from the TBC promo trailer led to some interesting comments and meme's right back at Blizzard.  But I dare say gamers were disappointed; subscriptions were still rising.  WotLK was still a decent expansion pack, for at least half of it, until Activision stepped in and quality went down, while a cash shop went "in".

Pre 2009 were good times indeed.  New players just never got to see what sheer enjoyment with a game and it's expansions were, because they saw the later half of WotLK and Cataclysm as their entry point.  Around when Activision took over in 2009 was when WoW players dwindled, stagnated, and fell.

WoW is targeting younger players who never played an MMO or WoW before .. so yup the game gets dumbed down.  Dissatisfied with current WoW?  You are no longer Activision-Blizzard's target audience to sell the game to.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    I agree, Blizzard is definitely shivering in there boots over Guild Wars 2.

Just like with all the other titles about to launch and their overexcited fans.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Do you think if they just bundled the entire thing and sold it for a reasonable price, say $20 - $30, they would sell more? And I mean bundled it for the long term, not just for these occasional sales.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Why is it when a company reacts to the launch of another similar product coming out it's always received as them doing something negative or out of desperation?  Last time I checked any business worth it's salt ALWAYS takes action to mitigate any perceived potential loss of revenue.  That isn't desperation, that's proper economics at work.