Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF!!!??

TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Ok so I finally bought the game yesterday and decided to try it for the first time ever during todays stress test....Well wtf?

I played a Norm and I really said wtf? This game blows....I felt sluggish and it just didn't seem fun at all.....The area made me feel like i was getting dizzy from everything that was going on......so I said ide try human and heres my thoughts.....

It was the BEST experience I think I ever had in any mmo to date......I felt like everything was so smooth and the atmosphere absolutely stunned me! I loved it!......

So I have one question......How can I have such different reactions to the same game? Ive never really had this with other game alts ect......Granted I only played a few hours so far, My opinion should be kept to myself till i logged at least 50 hours? I dunno but I had to ask the forums because I can't figure it out! 

Comments

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

Norn (iirc) are large, which would make them feel slow and sluggish. Humans are sort of average sized so their animations appear to be normalized. 

Ultimately, different strokes for different folks.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

edit.

Edit: I looked at your recent posts, and I have to say it is sad that you didn't care for it. You seemed like you truely wanted to like it! There are different games out there for you. And I'm sorry this wasn't one of them. 

Try another race. Norn are clunky. 

Crud, now I have to edit what I wrote up top and say I'm sorry. I skipped a very important paragraph when reading your comment.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Talketzanto

Ok so I finally bought the game yesterday and decided to try it for the first time ever during todays stress test....Well wtf?

I played a Norm and I really said wtf? This game blows....I felt sluggish and it just didn't seem fun at all.....The area made me feel like i was getting dizzy from everything that was going on......so I said ide try human and heres my thoughts.....

It was the BEST experience I think I ever had in any mmo to date......I felt like everything was so smooth and the atmosphere absolutely stunned me! I loved it!......

So I have one question......How can I have such different reactions to the same game? Ive never really had this with other game alts ect......Granted I only played a few hours so far, My opinion should be kept to myself till i logged at least 50 hours? I dunno but I had to ask the forums because I can't figure it out! 

Norn are bigger than humans.  Bigger characters will feel like they are moving slower, even though they aren't.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

The Norn experience has been complained about extensively during beta. It's probably the worst in the game.

With that said, I actually prefer Norn over humans. They move with power.

On the bright side, you can take a Norn character and go to any other race's lands right from the start. You don't have to level up in your zones and you don't have to do the personal story. You do get some pretty cool items from it though.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Norn are bigger than humans.  Bigger characters will feel like they are moving slower, even though they aren't.

Also, little characters have much quicker movements.  Everyone running together at the same speed.  All aesthetics.

/carlton dance.

• PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48

I love the Norn, but yea they turn like trucks. Glad the Humans were more your liking :)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    if you want a sense of speed play an asura thief:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    yea i could only imagine how u would feel if u felt the charr which wil l give u the same feeling its just how they apply the effects of different races to show that tho there moving at the same pace each race depending on height and weight acomplish it will less movement or more movement.
  • ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

I had a similar experience to you. I thought Norn were lame, but humans were great. 

Everything about the Norn are cliche barbarian. Plus they have the same running problem that tauren in WoW have. Long strides means slower legs means slower perceived movement. I don't know if it helps, but maybe choose the smallest size? Probably still the same animation regardless

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Thats why i am AZURA !

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Then human it is. I'll end up being a human for launch.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

I had a similar experience to you. I thought Norn were lame, but humans were great. 

Everything about the Norn are cliche barbarian. Plus they have the same running problem that tauren in WoW have. Long strides means slower legs means slower perceived movement. I don't know if it helps, but maybe choose the smallest size? Probably still the same animation regardless

it does help a little bit.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    @OP, to keep things simple for you. Since you have already purchased the game.... I would make 1 of each race and play it for about 10-15 minutes to get used to their animations and how they move etc. Pick the race you like the most and just make them for each class you decide to play. In every game I play I always check out the exotic races first because sometimes they are a ton of fun. But please take into consideration the sizes of the races, keep in mind that the animations have to make sense with the lore of the game, bigger races move slower etc ...
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I tried all races and found the human starting area the only one that I really liked.  Actually I didn't try the elfish race yet. . but I certainly had the same experience you did.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Another thing you guys need to remember , when they announce the stress test for today they stated , You will experience lots of technical issue's, quest completion problems, disconenction etc.etc. 

They stated also it was ment to be that way as per they are testing everything they can in one go to make sure the game servers will be up and running smoothly at lunch.

They also stated this will not be what the final product will look and feel like at release and that does issue's wont be present.

( I do agree that even a charr engineer is kind of slow . I played in the last bwe and in this stress test  and it did not change ).

It could be something we should be able to petition to have it change but they could also have that feedback and implemented the resolution at release. Who knows????

Edit : I also dont think this game is designed to be played at extreme speed like WoW and the others. Areanet always stated they where making this game with Arts in mind from start to end. Keyword :: Arts.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

I have commented  on and seen many people comment on this exact thing in different ways.

I would urge anyone who is new to the game to make a human and play for 30 ,mins to an hour then go back and create their main, the human starting area is just so much simpler in its layout and structure that it gives a much smoother transition into the game.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by heartless

The Norn experience has been complained about extensively during beta. It's probably the worst in the game.

On the bright side, you can take a Norn character and go to any other race's lands right from the start. You don't have to level up in your zones and you don't have to do the personal story. You do get some pretty cool items from it though.

Odd.

Why was Norn complained about? I liked Norn starter area. Admitted, I too loved Human the most. But Norn was kinda my 2nd fav. with that sort of pseudo Norse setting. Do you recall what people complained about?

And OP: so you hated GW2 first and now with human you like it? I still don't understand what exactly you disliked about Norn?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Norn are larger and since every class moves at the same speed, it feels like they move slower.
  • TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by heartless

Odd.

Why was Norn complained about? I liked Norn starter area. Admitted, I too loved Human the most. But Norn was kinda my 2nd fav. with that sort of pseudo Norse setting. Do you recall what people complained about?

And OP: so you hated GW2 first and now with human you like it? I still don't understand what exactly you disliked about Norn?

Let me start off by saying I do apologize for saying "Norn suck" indirectly.....I shouldn't push my opinion on anyone......To reply to you, I really don't know why I didn't like the game playing norm.....I really didn't enjoy it and had second thoughts on my purchase.....Maybe it was my toon speed? Maybe the start zone? I dunno, I just didn't want to play anymore after playing it....

Anyway, my friend also just bought the game and was the one who told me to jump on.....He absolutely loved the Norn and I asked him why? He said because he feels powerfull.......I don't understand but it does appeal to some  people.....

I told him to try human because it was WAY better and he said it couldnt get better then norn LOL.....To each his own

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I had the same experience in the 1st BWE. The first race I tried was Norn and I found them and their starting area particularly underwhelming..... then I switched to Charr and had a BLAST, and then in the subssequent BWEs created alts for the other races too. 

I discovered that I dont like the Norn, and I dont like the Asura. The other races and starting areas are great though. I guess its a matter of personal taste. My friend LOVES the Norn.....

With regards to the running speed, all the races actually run at exactly the same speed, but the Norn and Charr look like they are running slow because of their size / gait / run animation. The Asura look like they are running fast because they are small

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well, I finally decided after much deliberation to play a Norn. I wasn't going to play one because of the reasons the OP stated, they are slow, and bulky. But, I goofed with the size in creation today and made him as small as I could, made his frame smaller, and it made a big difference. At least it did to me! Don't talk me out of it by telling me I'm wrong or I will believe you! :)

My dream has been a Norn Guardian! I love the racial skills, and the big Viking/Norwegian look to them. Damn I'm excited! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Let me start off by saying I do apologize for saying "Norn suck" indirectly.....I shouldn't push my opinion on anyone......To reply to you, I really don't know why I didn't like the game playing norm.....I really didn't enjoy it and had second thoughts on my purchase.....Maybe it was my toon speed? Maybe the start zone? I dunno, I just didn't want to play anymore after playing it....

Anyway, my friend also just bought the game and was the one who told me to jump on.....He absolutely loved the Norn and I asked him why? He said because he feels powerfull.......I don't understand but it does appeal to some  people.....

I told him to try human because it was WAY better and he said it couldnt get better then norn LOL.....To each his own

Sounds like movement.

If we represent movement and races as characters on the screen, it would be something like the following, with movement being to the right.

Human:

HH

HH

HH

Asura:

A

A

A

Norn:

NNN

NNN

NNN

So notice how humans move about 2 full body lengths per unit of time.  Asurans move twice that fast relative to their size at about 4 body lengths.  Norns are incredibly sluggish, at about 1.5 body lengths.

Since the ground is moving under the character's feet, the relative movement affects both how quickly you see them move over terrain (relative to their size) AND how fast the movement animations are.  Since Norn have longer legs, they have to move slower than you'd expect to maintain the same speed as Asurans and Humans.  If they moved at the logical speed for someone of their height, then they'd outpace the others which would be unbalanced.  Similarly, Asuran's little feet have to really move their legs to cover the same distance, and you see the distance relative to their character "footprint" is bigger too.

Of course, to some the slow, steady movement of the Norn can come across as the movement of a powerful and slow juggernaught.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Ever since the Norn were first announced i been wanting to play one.

I just can´t, i really want cause i love the mythology and how you help the animal spirits in the personal quest but...

....i just can´t.

The animations, those deformed, gorilla like bodies....the underwhelming..boring....crappy looking starting area....

It feels like they made the norn as a test puppet and then they produced all the other races.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    yeh you can identified whit diferent class  some started area are amaze and by far i love the human starting area but im thinking making an asura main the less i like its charr and  not even like his map  but  that is why we can chose any race   and by that we can have diferent experience
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Ever since the Norn were first announced i been wanting to play one.

I just can´t, i really want cause i love the mythology and how you help the animal spirits in the personal quest but...

....i just can´t.

The animations, those deformed, gorilla like bodies....the underwhelming..boring....crappy looking starting area....

It feels like they made the norn as a test puppet and then they produced all the other races.

Yes, I felt the same about the Norn males. Too much Hulk.

That's why I played a female Norn, they are much more normal, just tall.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert