Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game was entertaining, but...

cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

I elected not to sub after the 30 day period included with game purchase expired. Here is why:

• In less than 30 days I'd made it 1/2 way through Transylvania. I did not skip cut scenes, did every quest i could find in the prior zones, ran the dungeons. So don't claim I skipped content or rushed. It is what it is - the content runs out pretty quickly unless you are the type of player who only plays a few hours every other day.
  • Novelty of quests wore thin. Early zones - kill zombies, build items, fight a boss. Middle zones - kill mummies and cultists, build items, fight a boss. Trans - kill vampires and their minions, build items, fight a boss. By the time you get through much of Transylvania the encounters begin to feel the same as what you have already experienced.
  • Game is not designed for alts - not much unique content for factions aside from starter city. So no real incentive for a Templar to roll a Dragon, for example, unless its for specific PVP needs. I see this as a major flaw - throw everyone in the same exact zones with the same exact missions = faction choice really does not make any difference.
  • PVP is pretty bad in this game.
  • Puzzle and investigations - something hyped - are not terribly difficult or exciting. The translation of hebrew text was the hardest thing I ran into.
  • Games zone population is starting to fall off with many players in Agartha spamming LFG NM mode.
  • Instances are fun the first time through. Run them on higher difficulty and they are the same as they were only bosses have more HP. If you want the best gear - your choice to grind woeful PVP matches and zerg around Fusang or grind dungeons over and over on NM mode. Content gets very stale.
  • No way Funcom can release enough monthly content to stay ahead of the curve. People will consume the content long before the month is up. Then what?
  • Funcom is in trouble as a company. Rumors that monthly content drops may move to quarterly. Layoffs. Discussion of possible move to F2P - not promising signs.
  • Bugs - a lot of them. Being fixed over time but might be the buggiest release I've seen and I've been playing MMOs for over a decade.
  • The graphics are nice enough but I have a hard time understanding why this game is so resource and graphic card intensive. For sure there are memory leaks that lead to CTDs over many hours of play. Games uses a lot of memory and pushes the limits on older 32 bit systems. I don't really see anything in game that accounts for this high resource usage. Something odd here.

Fun game, nice concept, but not worth a sub in my opinion.

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Agree with pretty much everything.

If a game was ever made begging to go F2P this would be it.  Also for f'in petes sakes Funcom put hitpoints on your blue and purple gear and implement a LFG finder.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by cptndunsel

I elected not to sub after the 30 day period included with game purchase expired. Here is why:

• In less than 30 days I'd made it 1/2 way through Transylvania. I did not skip cut scenes, did every quest i could find in the prior zones, ran the dungeons. So don't claim I skipped content or rushed. It is what it is - the content runs out pretty quickly unless you are the type of player who only plays a few hours every other day.
    • Novelty of quests wore thin. Early zones - kill zombies, build items, fight a boss. Middle zones - kill mummies and cultists, build items, fight a boss. Trans - kill vampires and their minions, build items, fight a boss. By the time you get through much of Transylvania the encounters begin to feel the same as what you have already experienced.
    • Game is not designed for alts - not much unique content for factions aside from starter city. So no real incentive for a Templar to roll a Dragon, for example, unless its for specific PVP needs. I see this as a major flaw - throw everyone in the same exact zones with the same exact missions = faction choice really does not make any difference.
    • PVP is pretty bad in this game.
    • Puzzle and investigations - something hyped - are not terribly difficult or exciting. The translation of hebrew text was the hardest thing I ran into.
    • Games zone population is starting to fall off with many players in Agartha spamming LFG NM mode.
    • Instances are fun the first time through. Run them on higher difficulty and they are the same as they were only bosses have more HP. If you want the best gear - your choice to grind woeful PVP matches and zerg around Fusang or grind dungeons over and over on NM mode. Content gets very stale.
    • No way Funcom can release enough monthly content to stay ahead of the curve. People will consume the content long before the month is up. Then what?
    • Funcom is in trouble as a company. Rumors that monthly content drops may move to quarterly. Layoffs. Discussion of possible move to F2P - not promising signs.
    • Bugs - a lot of them. Being fixed over time but might be the buggiest release I've seen and I've been playing MMOs for over a decade.
    • The graphics are nice enough but I have a hard time understanding why this game is so resource and graphic card intensive. For sure there are memory leaks that lead to CTDs over many hours of play. Games uses a lot of memory and pushes the limits on older 32 bit systems. I don't really see anything in game that accounts for this high resource usage. Something odd here.

Fun game, nice concept, but not worth a sub in my opinion.

well, I'm still enjoying the game, and I love the same PvP that you say it is bad...

It is all about taste, so I'm sorry you could not find what you wanted in this game. hope you find it someday.

• z4osloz4oslo Member Posts: 27

If this is the buggiest game you have seen, you havent really played that many.

Also, I dont really appreciate that you use rumors and present them as facts. Its just bad etiquette.

And this: Rumors that monthly content drops may move to quarterly ... umm. what?

• KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39

Playing the game and enjoying it a lot.

IMO, the best MMORPG so far, although its not perfect.

But its a matter of taste... Im just tired of "WoW like" MMOs.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I've played since release as well as all the open beta's. I have not had a crash with the game yet. My longest log in was for about 12hrs with out a hitch. I'm running a 64bit OS, I could see there being a problem with a 32bit OS as it dosnt matter how much ram your system has, it will only use up to 3 gig's which could be causing your problems depending on how many apps are running in the background.

IMHO Running a 32bit operating system with a current rig in this day and age is not a wise choice, if you have to run some legacy software you should be running a dual boot system with your old OS installed.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• I agree with most of that.  I too got really tired of undead.

Not a bad game but gets tiresome and some aspects are meh.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Kara:
    It's a shame they made endgame so wow like then. Another gear grinder.

Leveling is great though
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How to make tsw better.

Keep the leveling
    Let crafters make good gear.
    Make pvp less wow, more daoc.
    Expand horizontally, with new weapon types and what have you, not vertically with even more tiers of gear.
    Copy rp elements from coh, like the clubs.
    Cabal housing using a group crafting interface
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

Several sources for the rumor on content drops. For example: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/16/chaos-theory-the-f2p-future-of-the-secret-world/

Could all be bogus - which was why I had a bullet point on monthly drops and whether the amount of content per drop would be enough to keep people going for a month versus a few hours.

Time will tell.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

OP's post boils down to the game is content lite which there is no doubt it is.  However, I feel that the content that is there is excellent.  The graphics are also the best I've seen in the genre on high settings that's why it's tough on your really old system.

I think in a couple years, if they keep adding content and expanding horizontally (not sure how this would work forever though) this will be a truly fantastic game. 

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

I have to strongly disagree:

I personally am taking my time to play this, and yes, older generation here with family and job.

But this game is really so different from all the other MMO's that it deserves for people to stick with it for longer.

The biggest plus for me definitely are the missions with all their cutscenes and solo instances. These in my opinion are incredibly well written and voice acted, with a lot of intelligence and wit. I always secretly compare the cutscenes and voiceacting to SWTOR, a game which I endured for the first month and did not continue to subscribe to. The difference is just huge. I am looking forward to each and every cutscene in this game, these are the real game rewards for me here, and I also like to replay them whereever convenient. In SWTOR I felt a little bit like the "Go compare" adverts: Just bloody shut this guy up. TSW cutscnens are like "Compare the meerkat" adverts, witty original, you just can't get enough of watching them.

The other strong point in my opinion is the variety and design of the solo instances. The only time I have enjoyed myself nearly as much was in the solo instances in LotRo.

So, in summary: Even if Funcom might take a bit longer to come up with new content...it's well worth waiting for it. In the meantime you can alway try and horizontally level your avatar, completing the skill wheel, trying out new combos etc.

And finally: Bring Shambalah back as a PvP zone !

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So don't claim I skipped content or rushed. It is what it is - the content runs out pretty quickly unless you are the type of player who only plays a few hours every other day.

So if you only played a few hours a day instead of "hammering it" how long, In your opion do you think it would take you to "finish"?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Agree with pretty much everything.

If a game was ever made begging to go F2P this would be it.  Also for f'in petes sakes Funcom put hitpoints on your blue and purple gear and implement a LFG finder.

I agree with the lfg finder but you do realize that nobody forces you to equip all healing or all attack talismans right? you get your hitpoints on your talismans by "newsflash" equiping hitpoint talismans. Not too tough there. And the great thing is you are not limited to having 30% of your stats in hitpoints as you are with the greens. You replace a minor talisman and you have 10% do a major instead and you have 15% and so on. it is really a very flexible system you just need to take the responsiblity to actually choose what you will do.

All die, so die well.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Nitth

So don't claim I skipped content or rushed. It is what it is - the content runs out pretty quickly unless you are the type of player who only plays a few hours every other day.

So if you only played a few hours a day instead of "hammering it" how long, In your opion do you think it would take you to "finish"?

He said every OTHER day, meaning 1 in 2 days...

So what he said is if I played 2 hours a day on monday, wednesday, friday, saturday, monday, wednesday, friday, etc. etc. etc... It would last me for a while...

Personally, I found that the combat and gameplay in an area got stale, repetitive, and boring long before you could go to the next area...

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The rate I play, it will probably take me till christmas. I do enjoy other games and activities as well.

Maybe someone who has finished the content with out skipping things can let us know how many hours of content there is?

Ive read comments of 400hrs worth of content kicked about. (dont know if that is accurate)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I was excited for this game and finally fired up a trial this past weekend.  Seriously couldn't make it past the tutorial.  SO BORING!  Same game, new setting, snoozefest.  I will totally admit that's just my opinion and for some the game is absolutely amazing.  I wish Funcom and all TSW players the best, but it's not a game for me.

There's no way there's 400 hrs of content in TSW at launch.  Maybe if you count running the same dungeons and pvp over again to the best gear.  I've yet to see an MMO launch with more than roughly 100-150 hrs or so of content.  Again I'll admit I've never played more than a bit of the tutorial of TSW (totally willing to put my foot in my mouth here) but I've been playing MMOs a long ass time now and I don't even know what to say to the suggestion of 400 hrs worth of content.

Steam: Neph

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

He said every OTHER day, meaning 1 in 2 days...

So what he said is if I played 2 hours a day on monday, wednesday, friday, saturday, monday, wednesday, friday, etc. etc. etc... It would last me for a while...

Personally, I found that the combat and gameplay in an area got stale, repetitive, and boring long before you could go to the next area...

Yeah, this is probably me, I don't run any dungeons and do almost everything solo.

Been playing about 1.5 months and just arrived in the 2nd Egypt zone the other night.

So more than enough content for a player like myself, but I can see where people with more time into it every day would run dry quickly.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124
    [mod edit]

When i heard that TSW wouldn't have any levels, i expected a totally different game...

But i found myself doing the same things i do in every other MMO, quest quest quest, dungeon, new area... that's it

Oh and bad PVP...

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by kol56
    [mod edit]

When i heard that TSW wouldn't have any levels, i expected a totally different game...

But i found myself doing the same things i do in every other MMO, quest quest quest, dungeon, new area... that's it

Oh and bad PVP...

Theres no need to bring that game up, its off topic.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I enjoy it, but I loved Anarchy Online, too.

It's not a masterpiece, and has real issues as does the company - but I find it enjoyable so to hell with everyone else.

(Though I'm halfway through Egypt in a 5day trial period)