Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Picking a Profession

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week we spent some time talking about which race people might choose when Guild Wars 2 arrives later this week. Today we want to spend some time chatting up what profession folks are likely to choose and why. See what you think, then let us know what profession you'll pick first!

Alright, time to go over my personal checklist before ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 2 is released next week. Guild Wars logo Razor mouse, check. Working Mic, check. Chair adjusted to perfect gaming comfort, check. Enough snack food and drink supplies stashed next to the PC to last a week, check. Race decided for my first character, check. Profession decided for my first character… oh crap! I can’t decide! I’ve played them all, but which one will I decide on? Maybe I need to go over them real quick. Allow me to indulge this final week’s panic check-list, will you?

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Picking a Profession.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I like your drawing!

Human mesmer for my first (I think...damn these stress tests, they are all so fun and appealing)

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I'm finding it pretty hard to decide which profession to go as I like them all, Arenanet has done a great job in this respect, all the professions are interesting and there role well defined.
  • Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597
    This is a general overview, but to help a person pick the class, shouldn't there be more substance? How do they play? What are each classes strengths/weaknesses. What weapons and how do each weapon set work. For example, explaining that the Elementalist has 4 power sets to choose for each weapon they wield, or that the staff elementalist plays way differently than the dagger/dagger elementalist.  

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• ReliiqueReliique Member Posts: 53
    Never had so much problems choosing class to play..well done Arena! :) Ranger or Warrior... 
  • Punk-RockerPunk-Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 3

I would play all the classes as Asura if i could because they rock, but i want to play through the other race stories as well.

My first 3 chars are pretty much set up - Asura Thief, Charr Warrior, and Sylvari Ranger. For my 4th and 5th its either a Norn Engineer or Guardian, and a Human Necromancer. 

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I could have gone and read the retail box and gotten all of this marketing-speak. Weak article.
  • ProstiProsti Member Posts: 45
    Definately going for Charr Engineer! Yeah, it is going to be quite awesome. I can't wait!

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    I'm probably gonna play a sylvari elementalist if its even possible. I didn't get into the beta this time around so I don't really know.
  • Xin1Xin1 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    I'm probably gonna play a sylvari elementalist if its even possible. I didn't get into the beta this time around so I don't really know.

It's possible, every race can play every profession.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Xin1
    Originally posted by Gamefun

It's possible, every race can play every profession.

Nice. Thanks for the information.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Why did you have to make me think about this? Logical reasoning, I will roll a guardian first, let temptation take over and I will be rolling a thief, go with my gut and I will be rolling an engineer.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Sanctus_Mors
    This is a general overview, but to help a person pick the class, shouldn't there be more substance? How do they play? What are each classes strengths/weaknesses. What weapons and how do each weapon set work. For example, explaining that the Elementalist has 4 power sets to choose for each weapon they wield, or that the staff elementalist plays way differently than the dagger/dagger elementalist.  

I agree with this, I was hoping for more detailed explanations to each class, maybe a this personality tends to fit this profession type of list or something.  What we get is what I can get when I go to the main GW2 website and look at each profession.  A nice, more lore based, summary of each class as it relates to the game world.  Give me details, give me the META side of it!  Please, thanks.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Yeah...I thought it was going to be more about that as well. Kind of disappointing article.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Oh, I thought you meant profession, like the crafting you do for money, which for me will be armorsmith. The CLASS I play will be human warrior. With probably guardian and engineer alts when i get bored. Im not much into magic or monster races.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I guess the advantage of copy & paste from the G2 web site into this article is that you don't need to bother with spell check.

I was looking for specific info. What distinguishes one prof from another? Weapons & Armor available? Group v. Sinle target healing? Ranged AoE?
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    @ mCalvert classes in this game are officially called Professions, just so you know :)
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Too many good choices available, so far I know I like Mesmer, Engineer, Necromancer, Ranger and Guardian, god knows which will be my main.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

because substance is hard

takes thought, time and effort - not common in articles here

but anyway, kinda wish there was a random button for both race and profession and go with the very first one - probably gonna labor over this way too long come saturday

• GribbleGribble Member Posts: 5

My list is narrowed down to 3 classes: thief, warrior or guardian. No pet classes.

Thief and warrior have higher mobility than the guardian. They also get their share of mobility reduction abilities. Guardian doesn't get mobility boosts and lacks snares, but it is very survivable without really even trying to build for it.

Warrior and guardian can both be very good at support. Thief not so much, although they do get some nice abilities such as AOE sharing of venoms and an AOE cloaking heal field.

Guardian feels like it will be the best pve class of these 3. It feels a lot more powerful and group friendly, even though I didn't get mine nearly as high level as warrior or thief.

Warrior has the most hit points followed by thief and then guardian.

Dps is probably lowest for the thief, with the warrior highest dps of these 3. This could easily change if they start swinging the nerf hammer.

Ahh heck I'll probably go with all 3 classes anyway.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Well after tonights stress test, I've finally nailed it, Asura thief is what I will be rolling at launch
  • ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

I already decided on all my 5 classes, one for each race, filling up all slots, the only problem is which one will i focus to reach 80 first?

Norn Guardian

Human Elementalist

Asura Necromancer

Sylvari Mesmer

Charr Ranger

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Just so you guys know, since a lot if people miss this, the necromancer isn't a "true" pet class like the ranger. The necro pets are actually only an option, and even if you take them, you can't control them much at all.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    human guardien love how it plays with a greatsword rocks so much.
  • jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Like other people, I was pleasantly surprised by how many of the classes/professions I enjoyed when I played betas and stress tests.  Every time I thought I had made up my mind, I would try another class just to play something different, and then get hooked again.

I was originally determined to make one main character and stick with that right through to max level because it's years since I've enjoyed a game enough to do that.  Usually I end up making lots of alts because I'm not quite enjoying a game enough and keep hoping that with the next class I'll hit the sweet spot.  Ironically, in the case of GW2, I enjoyed the game immensely, but liked most of the classes so presently I'm thinking along my usual altaholic lines:

Norn thief + ranger (ranger to be played through Sylvari zones because I didn't like that race so much)

Asura elementalist

Charr guardian

Human mesmer

That's the plan for starters, anyway, but I kind of liked the engineer, too and musn't forget the warrior ... 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Going to play a Mesmer and have faith the ANet will fix the shatter mechanic. Had a lot of fun playing them in beta. My alt will be a Guardian.