Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obsoleting Old Legendaries - The first D3 reset?

uncleFesteruncleFester Member Posts: 38

Anyone else think that it's a little too convenient that Blizzard has obsoleted old legendary items? By not patching them to have the same upgraded stats as the new ones, players with the old ones will have to...buy the new ones to have the best stuff again, effectively resetting maxed out toons in the exact same way they do to WoW toons. This was obviously planned from the start to squeeze more money from the suckers that use the RMAH.

Why do people put up with this? Is playing a game from a popular franchise really that matters to kids now?

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I think It is too much hassle/not possible to achieve because of problems with their computer systems. This was also the case in Diablo 2 when a few unique items were either changed or completely removed. These old tems were just left as "legacy" items and eventually pushed out by the ladder resets :)

Don't think it's intentional.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by fivoroth

I think It is too much hassle/not possible to achieve because of problems with their computer systems. This was also the case in Diablo 2 when a few unique items were either changed or completely removed. These old tems were just left as "legacy" items and eventually pushed out by the ladder resets :)

Don't think it's intentional.

I dont know...

When people are paying real money for items, it kind of puts it in a different perspective.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

Old legendaries were shit and very few were even worth wearing. And the ones worth wearing were always bought from the GAH or RMAH. So the only ones crying about this change are the idiots who spent real money on them. These were the same fools who spent cash on attack speed gear only to have it nerfed one month after release. The crying was epic then too. 

To call this a gear reset, the legedaries had to actually be useful, which 9 out of 10 of them weren't. And there was always a Rare which could roll much better stats than the one legendary which rolled all the right stats. The current legedaries were obsolete the second they dropped. 

Personally i don't care about this change as it really doesn't affect me that much. Both my 60s are decked out in rare gear. The 4 level 60 legendaries i found were so shit, i wouldn't have worn them when i was lvl 56. 

It's good to see that when i eventually pick this game up again, in a month or so, it will be in a much better condition than it is now.

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by uncleFester

Anyone else think that it's a little too convenient that Blizzard has obsoleted old legendary items? By not patching them to have the same upgraded stats as the new ones, players with the old ones will have to...buy the new ones to have the best stuff again, effectively resetting maxed out toons in the exact same way they do to WoW toons. This was obviously planned from the start to squeeze more money from the suckers that use the RMAH.

Why do people put up with this? Is playing a game from a popular franchise really that matters to kids now?

I was about to reply with just "RMAH" after your first sentence, but then read the rest of your post and realized you realized it's all abou the "RMAH" as well.

Blizzard doesn't realize the "f2p" market is failing quickly and won't exist within 1 or 2 years. I think GW2 really set the pace for future games. Just my opinion of course.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

This happened in D2. Old legendaries were not updated for new patches, you had to farm new ones.

Having said that I don't think it's because they wanted to get more farming out of us. Well...it is but it isn't at the same time. First and foremost it is a fact that it will take more time to farm new uniques. However I don't think it's a direct decision to make people go for RMAH, just to take up time. Although inevitably people WILL go to the RMAH for these items I do not think that it was the MAIN force behind the decision.

I could be completely wrong and Blizzard is evil. I have to try to believe that they are trying to fix the game to some degree.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I think the primary reason is that it's a lot harder to retroactively modify existing items - than it is to adjust the code responsible for generating the items. Items are generated upon drop, so they're not actually modifying anything in the game this way.

Also, I think it's a convenient gear semi-reset on top - to help get a grip on the rampant exploits that have led to too much power where it didn't belong.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

People continue to fail on this topic =(

"You" paid $10.00 for a sword that did 1000 DPS, +200 int/str, and +10% haste.  You paid for THAT item.  You didn't pay for sword that is the best in the game always and forever.  If a new patch comes up with new and improved items, you'll have to work to earn that.

Aside from the HASTE nerf, they haven't nerfed any items.  The items people paid for are still pretty much exactly what they purchased.  Blizzard has since released NEW items that are better.  People complain about having nothing to do at level cap... they add new items... people complain that they added new items and now have to go farm them.

They added 100 new levels of grinding, which diablo 3 is a GRINDING game.  Once you complete Act 4 NORMAL you've finished the game.  Everything beyond that point is just grinding.  MAYBE you can consider level 60 to be the end when you unlock your last skill?  Either way, once you do that the game is over as far as new content.  Don't complain about them adding more ways for you to grind when that's the entire point of the game.

Most people paid 50-60 bucks for Diablo 3, and have gotten well over 20-30+ hours of gameplay out of it.  These same people complaining about lack of content are more than willing to spend 50-60 on a console title that offers at BEST 20-30 hours of gameplay before you're done.

• uncleFesteruncleFester Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Painlezz

People continue to fail on this topic =(

"You" paid $10.00 for a sword that did 1000 DPS, +200 int/str, and +10% haste.  You paid for THAT item.  You didn't pay for sword that is the best in the game always and forever.  If a new patch comes up with new and improved items, you'll have to work to earn that.

Aside from the HASTE nerf, they haven't nerfed any items.  The items people paid for are still pretty much exactly what they purchased.  Blizzard has since released NEW items that are better.  People complain about having nothing to do at level cap... they add new items... people complain that they added new items and now have to go farm them.

They added 100 new levels of grinding, which diablo 3 is a GRINDING game.  Once you complete Act 4 NORMAL you've finished the game.  Everything beyond that point is just grinding.  MAYBE you can consider level 60 to be the end when you unlock your last skill?  Either way, once you do that the game is over as far as new content.  Don't complain about them adding more ways for you to grind when that's the entire point of the game.

Most people paid 50-60 bucks for Diablo 3, and have gotten well over 20-30+ hours of gameplay out of it.  These same people complaining about lack of content are more than willing to spend 50-60 on a console title that offers at BEST 20-30 hours of gameplay before you're done.

Except you don't work to earn anything in this "game", you buy it from the AH/RMAH, and either one costs you real money. I played Diablo 2 for 3-4 months when it was released and never bought a damn thing, but if this RMAH garbage existed then and I did spend real money on it, then Blizzard damn well better spend the whole 1 hour it would take to write a script that would update the old items. I really expected them to wait longer to do the "WoW Reset" but apparently underestimated their endless hunger for every penny their playerbase has.

You're wrong, Diablo 3 is not a grinding game. It would be if not for the AH/RMAH. I played it for a week and never "grinded" a single thing, because it's next to impossible to get anything useful to drop for your character. D3 is a game about spending money to beat Inferno, nothing more. If you buy from the RMAH, you spend real money. If you buy from the gold AH, you spend real money too because that gold has monetary value and can be sold. Really, it's just a game for people with no lives that have more money than sense. When PvP is put in, then Blizzard's masterplan really kicks in and if you still play it you can bet your ass it will be the most Pay2Win game in history.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    How to put up with it? Stop playing Blizzard games and start playing Guild Wars 2. Thats what i did. Only thing i regret is that i bought D3 just because i liked the videos and "its a Blizzard game". Will never do it again for any company. Those 60 euro taught me that, thanks Blizz.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

euh, where has the op been the last 10 years......wow aka BLIZZARD is doing this in wow since it launched.....every expansion the "older" uber gear aint worth shit anymore....hell , the new green items are sometimes better then the purples from previous expansion.....so what did you think blizz would do huh?