Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trinity-It's in our blood

Comments

• FeridlyinFeridlyin Member Posts: 10
    snip

except that we've played the game. we know that it's good. for my part, playing it brought up my hype/expectations and that was just the first bwe.

And we all played the betas of those games too. The first portion of the game is always the best tuned / tested, because everyone has to start there. It's the later zones that will make or break gw2, and we haven't seen  / played those yet.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Originally posted by Feridlyin
    [mod edit]

They've officially stated there will be both free and paid content added to the game. So, not only have you not played the game, you haven't been keeping up with the information on it either. Good to know.

Specifically Anet has stated that expansions will be every year'ish at a time.  They felt that every 6 months in GW1 was too fast.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

[mod edit]

Well, try smarter, because attacking a great forum member and misrepresenting the game are not good ways to bring down expectations a notch.  It's a good way to get people upset with you, however.  Congrats on that.

Yes, if there's one mob, then potentially one guy could stand in front of it and take a lot of hits.  That's pretty stupid however, as you should be avoiding hits as much as you can.  Additionally, this completely falls apart if other melee are there or if there is more than one mob.  Most of the time, there's more than one and you'll have other melee.  It also falls apart if the meager healing others provide can't keep up with the damage.  And it is less than ideal since it cuts down on the amount of damage the group is doing.  Best to learn sensible defensive skills and strategies rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77

I seriously love it when people talk out of their ass and haven't even played the game yet.... amazing to me actually.

There's no threat, no taunts, and even a Warrior/Guardian will get absolutely man-handled if you try to "tank" in the traditional sense (read carefully... stand still to "absorb aggro" while someone else heals them). Do you know how well that's going to work? I can tell you - you will wipe... then piss and moan the group sucks. 

In other news - Im going to go to the first mechanic forum I find on google and explain to them how to rebuild an engine. I mean, I've never been a mechanic a day in my life but I drive cars - so obviously I'm an expert. 

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    snip

except that we've played the game. we know that it's good. for my part, playing it brought up my hype/expectations and that was just the first bwe.

And we all played the betas of those games too. The first portion of the game is always the best tuned / tested, because everyone has to start there. It's the later zones that will make or break gw2, and we haven't seen  / played those yet.

We have probably all played beta's from TSW, SWTOR, Tera recently. the big difference when playing the GW2 beta was that the beta experience and quality was far superior to those in comparative titles mentioned above and the biggest draw, that the game isn't so damn linear which is a huge issue with every theme park since WoW.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    Originally posted by Matheusor1

One does not simply tank dungeons in GW2.

You could have a team with 1 'tank' specced guardian and 4 'healer' specced guardians/elementalists, and they still won't be able to keep the tank alive for more than 15 seconds. Also, you guys would be dealing crap damage.

A good level 80 Guardian should be able to generate 2000 healing per second on himself  without the use of his healing skill. Throw in the extra water blasts from the Ele using arcane wave, and you should have no problem tanking with 3500 armor.

If you really need, you can even use the 20% damage reduction pots that an Artificer can make. Though you can easily get the medium version of these potions in the dungeons themselves.

If you still can't tank as a Guardian you should probably just reroll an Ele.

Not all classes do the same role equal. Guardian is one class that can take a beating and keep asking for more. There may not be a taunt but when the Guardian in the team does get aggro they shin for 30 -120 seconds. In battle thats a long time. Sure there is no set healer/tank/dps class but each class does something really well and in that way the trinity is not dead. Its packaged differently but its here. Nothing wrong with that because IMO its done really well and very uniqe for a MMO. Make fun of GW2 for having the trinity or stand fast yelling there isnt one. It make no difference. The game is fun!!! and far from a copy paste of WoW like most MMOs that have come out over the past few years. Get ready for a different game, GW2 is it!

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Have you ever tried to tank something when there's no threat table?

Considering threat is proximity based, I'd imagine you make sure you're the closest one to the enemy? As the guardian did in this video.

[mod edit]

About the video:

he is barely getting hit at all because even though he is at melee range he is not the one managing the boss, if you had played the game even once you'd notice that as well, the 4 other players are the ones managing the encounters (as in switching roles and rotating around) he is basically just along for the ride this is story mode after all. Plus these guys are from the QA team @Anet I'd love to see him do that badly and still survive if he was running with random players.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

I prefer to think big and get rewarded for doing so rather than to think small and get nothing at all.  It's my money and I can do with it as I choose.  You want to sink a game before it even begins, all the power to you, that's $60 well spent, I guess.

Remember this, it is you who bought the game.  It is you who play the game.  It is you who leaves the game.  No where in there was there a developer prodding you with a pitchfork. 

You want a holy trinity, by all means, go for it. Turn this game into something YOU are familiar with.  Change is only good if you are willing to embrace it.  But not everyone likes change, which is why they always go back to their tried and true game... the one that they've memorized like the back of their hand... the one that doesn't even require even the remotest of real effort... the one they keep leaving looking for something new.  Funny how people are, wanting change but unwilling to change.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Kyus_HoB

We have probably all played beta's from TSW, SWTOR, Tera recently. the big difference when playing the GW2 beta was that the beta experience and quality was far superior to those in comparative titles mentioned above and the biggest draw, that the game isn't so damn linear which is a huge issue with every theme park since WoW.

I can't speak for TERA because I never played it but the linear nature of SWTOR and TSW are the biggest drawbacks of those games.

In all fairness though, I actually found SWTOR and TSW to be good games. They just don't have a ton of tong term appeal to them. With the way this game is designed it appears it may not have the same issue. Between the explorable mode dungeons, scalable content,etc. it seems to have a lot more potential lasting appeal for players. Not having a sub goes a long way too.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

think these say it better  than anything but take it how you will

No Trinity?!

Ep. 10 HD: Holy Trinity

View of the Holy Trinity

Thank you for showing us the unbiased light.  Just like in your last 3000+ positive GW2 posts in the last 6 months. Sometimes people claim posters are on a forum working for a gaming company to promote the product. I hope you are getting paid for your work, because otherwise that's a lot of wasted time. 

On a more serious note, all of these videos talk about how there is no main healer in GW2. None of them say anything about no tank. They say anyone can tank but rather than show it, they show level 1 areas and random fight scenes. 

I'm not saying GW2 has the holy trinity. It doesn't work in the tank/dps/heal way. But you are still going to have someone tanking the mobs, you are still going to have people DPSing the mobs, and you are still going to have someone supporting the party (whether it be healing or condition removal).

constant attacks on me.. getting pretty old now... either way onto your topic on tanks game has no "hate/threat" mechanic per say and has no taunt mechanic so not really sure how you can say it has traditional tanking in anyway. Video shows the guardian standing in front of a single mob for a couple seconds at one point now what if 5 adds came in how is he going to tank then?

Also if you actually look at my post history my first 1000 or so posts hardly had any posts about GW2 I didn't start talking about the game much till I actually got to play the game after BWE1.

[mod edit]

There will be content patches and non-paid expansions. Actually the live team is going to add Dynamic Events or tweak existing ones all the time. How are you bringing the expectations down by stating there is a tank/healer in the game while there isn't one is beyond me.

Your right over hyped games have not done well. There is something to think about though. Overhyped games that have failed over the years were over-hyped by the company making them. This games hype comes from the gamers. That says something. I was not a GW fan at all till a few months ago. I have been MMOing for 14+ years and I have never had so much fun playing since my EQ1 days. This is coming from someone who HATED GW1. They say the best type of business is word of mouth. I say GW2 is not hype, it just has really good word of mouth.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by RizelStar

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

[mod edit]

There is no tank in GW2 lmao, sheesh. You can't tank if 1 the mobs don't agro and 2 you can't get the a boss to focus on you and only you.

Damn. why does everyone who talk out the ass about a trinity never go to the beta with 5 guys and try to do the trinity.

It's already been attempted and fail how many failures does it take?

You guys be easy, peace.

When a mob is hitting you,  you're tanking. It doesn't matter if there's no aggro mechanic to keep the attention on yourself or not. What the poster above you is saying is that it's impossible to keep mobs from hitting someone in your party, therefore SOMEONE is tanking.

Doesn't have to be the same person every battle, or even the same person throughout one whole fight. But someone is going to be taking that damage, and someone is going to be supporting him (including his own self heals), and someone is going to be killing the mob... And then roles will switch depending on how the fight goes.

From what I can tell, the GW2 difference is it's fluidity in party members moving between the roles, not their complete absence from the game.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Specifically Anet has stated that expansions will be every year'ish at a time.  They felt that every 6 months in GW1 was too fast.

Could you find a source for that? Because as far as I can remember, that's one information they are specifically avoiding in every interview that asks about it: timeframe for expansions.

The did say in one of the earlier interviews that they would not have a release cycle like with the GW1 episodes, but substantially longer. But they never gave an actual timeframe.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by rygard49

When a mob is hitting you,  you're tanking. It doesn't matter if there's no aggro mechanic to keep the attention on yourself or not. What the poster above you is saying is that it's impossible to keep mobs from hitting someone in your party, therefore SOMEONE is tanking.

Doesn't have to be the same person every battle, or even the same person throughout one whole fight. But someone is going to be taking that damage, and someone is going to be supporting him (including his own self heals), and someone is going to be killing the mob... And then roles will switch depending on how the fight goes.

From what I can tell, the GW2 difference is it's fluidity in party members moving between the roles, not their complete absence from the game.

interesting take on tanking

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Naqaj

Could you find a source for that? Because as far as I can remember, that's one information they are specifically avoiding in every interview that asks about it: timeframe for expansions.

The did say in one of the earlier interviews that they would not have a release cycle like with the GW1 episodes, but substantially longer. But they never gave an actual timeframe.

i dont' remember a specific timeframe either but i could be wrong.. i do remember them saying it is their goal to push out more free content updates than any subscription based MMO. We shall see if they succeed in that.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    Originally posted by Matheusor1

One does not simply tank dungeons in GW2.

You could have a team with 1 'tank' specced guardian and 4 'healer' specced guardians/elementalists, and they still won't be able to keep the tank alive for more than 15 seconds. Also, you guys would be dealing crap damage.

A good level 80 Guardian should be able to generate 2000 healing per second on himself  without the use of his healing skill. Throw in the extra water blasts from the Ele using arcane wave, and you should have no problem tanking with 3500 armor.

If you really need, you can even use the 20% damage reduction pots that an Artificer can make. Though you can easily get the medium version of these potions in the dungeons themselves.

If you still can't tank as a Guardian you should probably just reroll an Ele.

Not all classes do the same role equal. Guardian is one class that can take a beating and keep asking for more. There may not be a taunt but when the Guardian in the team does get aggro they shin for 30 -120 seconds. In battle thats a long time. Sure there is no set healer/tank/dps class but each class does something really well and in that way the trinity is not dead. Its packaged differently but its here. Nothing wrong with that because IMO its done really well and very uniqe for a MMO. Make fun of GW2 for having the trinity or stand fast yelling there isnt one. It make no difference. The game is fun!!! and far from a copy paste of WoW like most MMOs that have come out over the past few years. Get ready for a different game, GW2 is it!

When a Guardian who does exactly like you said can't get a single mob to attack him or her, then your self healing of 2000 per second only just makes sure you alone won't die. Doesn't make you a tank, just a survivor.

Besides, the mobs hits so hard, I really want to see you stand there taking the hits and survive like a tank.

When there is no taunts, you are not really a tank, what happens to adds, tanks in all MMO's their jobs is to taunt the Adds so everyone is hitting only him or her, and healers only heal the tank. But when adds goes toward everyone else, its really just an keep yourself alive while make sure you kill the boss fights.

In this situation, sure I will make sure the guardian is up close fighting the boss, while everyone else fight their own individual adds, but who is keeping the Guardian alive you might ask! Answer is the Guardian him/her self.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by RizelStar

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

[mod edit]

There is no tank in GW2 lmao, sheesh. You can't tank if 1 the mobs don't agro and 2 you can't get the a boss to focus on you and only you.

Damn. why does everyone who talk out the ass about a trinity never go to the beta with 5 guys and try to do the trinity.

It's already been attempted and fail how many failures does it take?

You guys be easy, peace.

So by your logic games like Mass Effect also have tanks? Heck even Counter Strike has tanks, someone on your team is going to take the damage instead of other party members so by your logic... there are tanks in Counter Strike too

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

He is a little off but not far from the mark. A mage in WoW could tank if thats the case. Where it becomes taking is when your class is designed to mitigate damage by buffs/regen/ac/skills then you are tanking. I know GW fans like to say the classes dont tank, they have control skills. <<<shrugs>>> thats cutting hairs if you ask me. GW2 does have a soft trinity as all classes have what they need to stand toe to toe with a boss for a small time. But if someone cant see its not done in the standard MMO way then they are not worth replying to.

And that's exactly what people mean when they say GW2 doesn't have the holy trinity. Because trinity means dedicated roles.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I can't speak for TERA because I never played it but the linear nature of SWTOR and TSW are the biggest drawbacks of those games.

In all fairness though, I actually found SWTOR and TSW to be good games. They just don't have a ton of tong term appeal to them. With the way this game is designed it appears it may not have the same issue. Between the explorable mode dungeons, scalable content,etc. it seems to have a lot more potential lasting appeal for players. Not having a sub goes a long way too.

I agree that TSW is a good game (a vergy good game in fact shame its not done better), SWTOR was horribly dissapointing for me I followed it from 09 and the way that game got turned from what would have been a truly visionary concept to the bland mess it was is something I took very personally. Tera is also a good fun game but I just can't stand linear leveling anymore.

I do stand by the fact that GW2 is a higher level of polish and quality across the board ignoring personal tastes on the theme and style. I think we're getting a bit off topic though.

to add back to the conversation regarding the guardian, they can take a pounding but in their various ways so can every other class. In terms of physically resisting damage for a whole fight I'd say look no further than a necromancer. The fact that everyone can do a bit of everything and that there is no expectation or requirement for a specific role is what makes gw2 not have a triniy.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

He is a little off but not far from the mark. A mage in WoW could tank if thats the case. Where it becomes taking is when your class is designed to mitigate damage by buffs/regen/ac/skills then you are tanking. I know GW fans like to say the classes dont tank, they have control skills. <<>> thats cutting hairs if you ask me. GW2 does have a soft trinity as all classes have what they need to stand toe to toe with a boss for a small time. But if someone cant see its not done in the standard MMO way then they are not worth replying to.

agreed

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

i dont' remember a specific timeframe either but i could be wrong.. i do remember them saying it is their goal to push out more free content updates than any subscription based MMO. We shall see if they succeed in that.

I'm looking for a source with no luck.  I believe it was an interview and they were saying 6 months was too quick for expansions and most people could not keep up.  Went on to say that their will be numerous small updates and will try to time expansions every year'ish.  Been awhile since I read it so I'm a little fuzzy on details.

I agree that TSW is a good game (a vergy good game in fact shame its not done better), SWTOR was horribly dissapointing for me I followed it from 09 and the way that game got turned from what would have been a truly visionary concept to the bland mess it was is something I took very personally. Tera is also a good fun game but I just can't stand linear leveling anymore.

I do stand by the fact that GW2 is a higher level of polish and quality across the board ignoring personal tastes on the theme and style. I think we're getting a bit off topic though.

to add back to the conversation regarding the guardian, they can take a pounding but in their various ways so can every other class. In terms of physically resisting damage for a whole fight I'd say look no further than a necromancer. The fact that everyone can do a bit of everything and that there is no expectation or requirement for a specific role is what makes gw2 not have a triniy.

yea with death shroud necro's can take an insane amount of punishment.. lots of fun:)

I'd definitely question that part, because with the exeption of one interview by Mike O'Brien, they are generall very carefull of making any promises or comparisons like that. When they speak about the game and it's features, they usually speak only about that, and avoid making any comparison along the lines of 'better than game x'. They may have said "We'll do regular content updates", but they didn't say "we'll do more updates than anyone else".

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77

I'm looking for a source with no luck.  I believe it was an interview and they were saying 6 months was too quick for expansions and most people could not keep up.  Went on to say that their will be numerous small updates and will try to time expansions every year'ish.  Been awhile since I read it so I'm a little fuzzy on details.

It was in the dev video actually - I don't think it was printed in an article (probably why your having trouble finding it).

They definitely said that though.... GW1's content was "too fast" for some people. They felt they just got to the end of the campaign and there was already another xpac ready to go. This time they'll space it out much longer - or roughly about once a year.... 

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Well it may not be your traditional tank and not have taunt but you can still as a guardian if mob is attacking you turn it away from group or pull it away. Sure you can taunt but if he is attacking you, then you can ofc do what you can. And if he isnt attacking you guess what you can CC him so that he cant attack other teammates or protect them. 

Sure not your traditional tank but your still doing the same thing a tank would do, Minus a few things like taunt.

It's real simple tanks are there to cc and keep damage off team, you can still do this in gw2 just cant do it on command.