Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trinity-It's in our blood

Comments

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
     If the game does not have the HT then why even have support healing abilities at all, just curious

No signature, I don't have a pen

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by Feridlyin

Did you watch the boss fights?

Yes. And I've been (among other games) playing a tank as main in WoW for like 7 years too. I don't see anything even remotely close to tanking as we see it in threat based holy trinity games in that video. All I see is a plate wearing melee staying close to the mobs because, well, that's the play style of a melee... =P

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

There's an enormous difference between a game that says:

1)  you basically have to have dedicated tanks and healers or your group will be ineffective, or

2)  you can try being a dedicated tank or healer if you want to, but it won't work very well.

The former is a trinity game and the latter is not.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Drachasor
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Have you ever tried to tank something when there's no threat table?

Considering threat is proximity based, I'd imagine you make sure you're the closest one to the enemy? As the guardian did in this video.

Even if all threat is proximity-based, that doesn't work if there are other melee in the group.  It's also really stupid to sit still and take hits when you can move around and AVOID hits.  So what you see is someone on an easy dungeon speccing to be able to take a lot of damage, and sacrificing a lot of other things he could be doing.  That sacrifice is going to hurt in tougher situations where you should be avoiding a lot of the damage anyhow and the loss of DPS will be noticed more.

He's taking significantly less damage than others would take, reducing the stress on them.  He's wearing plate and a shield.  He is causing the boss to focus on him to let the others DPS and Support.. This sounds remarkably familiar. Oh yea, he's a tank.

Yes, and when you solo you can stand still and let mobs hit you too.  That doesn't make it a good idea.  Essentially what we are seeing here is group of players trying to jam in a HT strategy by forcing everyone but one guy to go range and then speccing hard towards healing/tanking.  The problem is that they'll be sacrificing a lot of damage potential to do this, when if you just play smart you can avoid a lot of damage by moving out of the way of attacks.  You can tell how inept the play is by the fact they just stand there and get hit.

They're in a storyline 5-man, which means it is EASY.  I'd note the comments on the video where people talk about how the trash mobs are worse than the bosses.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    There is as much trinity in GW2 as in LoL.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

think these say it better  than anything but take it how you will

No Trinity?!

Ep. 10 HD: Holy Trinity

View of the Holy Trinity

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• zero462usazero462usa Member Posts: 26

Stopped reading at "so I haven't played any of the betas."

Why do people want to talk about that which they know not? Stupidity>facts in today's society.

Can we get a lock down on this thread please? Completely useless.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

Answered my question, thanks :)

No signature, I don't have a pen

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Looking at the video posted some more, it's pretty clear that other people besides the guardian get attacked as well.  So even with this strategy of theirs that seems quite innefficient, they even then don't get it to work like HT.
  • MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

The holy trinity in GW2 is:

Variation

Innovation

Cooperation

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

There might not be a hard trinity in GW2, but there are options when building a char to beef defense, or beef up healing, and so forth. Not to mention some classes, not all, have spammable abilities that heal, some others have stuff that are very tanky etc. There might not be trinity in GW2 but I can guarantee there will be specific professions and builds sought after into dungeon crews, to lean at least a bit toward a specific role.

Personally I dont find this to be a problem, it's only natural when you attack that forest troll that the guy in platemail charges into melee and will take some hits while the squishy clothie tries to stay behind working on the special effects.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Even though your wrong in the OP because there isn't a trinity in GW2, I would like to say there is no trinity in my blood.

*Can now sleep better*

No but honestly I believe the first page got it down pact.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

That Dungeon looks like Story Mode content, and since that's supposed to be a cakewalk the trinity is viable. I don't think this will be the same case in Explorable Mode.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

Thank you for showing us the unbiased light.  Just like in your last 3000+ positive GW2 posts in the last 6 months. Sometimes people claim posters are on a forum working for a gaming company to promote the product. I hope you are getting paid for your work, because otherwise that's a lot of wasted time. 

On a more serious note, all of these videos talk about how there is no main healer in GW2. None of them say anything about no tank. They say anyone can tank but rather than show it, they show level 1 areas and random fight scenes. 

I'm not saying GW2 has the holy trinity. It doesn't work in the tank/dps/heal way. But you are still going to have someone tanking the mobs, you are still going to have people DPSing the mobs, and you are still going to have someone supporting the party (whether it be healing or condition removal).

There is no tank in GW2 lmao, sheesh. You can't tank if 1 the mobs don't agro and 2 you can't get the a boss to focus on you and only you.

Damn. why does everyone who talk out the ass about a trinity never go to the beta with 5 guys and try to do the trinity.

It's already been attempted and fail how many failures does it take?

You guys be easy, peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I'm not saying GW2 has the holy trinity. It doesn't work in the tank/dps/heal way. But you are still going to have someone tanking the mobs, you are still going to have people DPSing the mobs, and you are still going to have someone supporting the party (whether it be healing or condition removal).

There is always someone who gets hit by the mob, someone who takes damage. But that alone doesn't make him a tank.

The keyword here isn't roles, it's dedicated roles. Everyone will tank a mob at some point, but you will never, no matter the profession or spec, play exclusively as a tank.

The OPs post shows a core problem of GW2 though. You can't just point people to a video and say 'look for yourself', because when they don't know what they are looking for, they aren't going to see how GW2 actually works, but instead squeeze it into the framework of MMOs they already have.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by zero462usa

Why do people want to talk about that which they know not? Stupidity>facts in today's society.

So are you saying that you cant gather anything about any game unless you are in the beta?

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

Thank you for showing us the unbiased light.  Just like in your last 3000+ positive GW2 posts in the last 6 months. Sometimes people claim posters are on a forum working for a gaming company to promote the product. I hope you are getting paid for your work, because otherwise that's a lot of wasted time. 

On a more serious note, all of these videos talk about how there is no main healer in GW2. None of them say anything about no tank. They say anyone can tank but rather than show it, they show level 1 areas and random fight scenes. 

constant attacks on me.. getting pretty old now... either way onto your topic on tanks game has no "hate/threat" mechanic per say and has no taunt mechanic so not really sure how you can say it has traditional tanking in anyway. Video shows the guardian standing in front of a single mob for a couple seconds at one point now what if 5 adds came in how is he going to tank then?

Also if you actually look at my post history my first 1000 or so posts hardly had any posts about GW2 I didn't start talking about the game much till I actually got to play the game after BWE1.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by zero462usa

So are you saying that you cant gather anything about any game unless you are in the beta?

I would agree that I watched Bill's and RipperX's streams and that immediately caused me to buy the pre-purchase, but...

the beta play and watching the threads are completely two different experiences.

The streams were enticing, the beta is addictive like nothing else.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

constant attacks on me.. getting pretty old now... either way onto your topic on tanks game has no "hate/threat" mechanic per say and has no taunt mechanic so not really sure how you can say it has traditional tanking in anyway. Video shows the guardian standing in front of a single mob for a couple seconds at one point now what if 5 adds came in how is he going to tank then?

Also if you actually look at my post history my first 1000 or so posts hardly had any posts about GW2 I didn't start talking about the game much till I actually got to play the game after BWE1.

Not attacking you. Just pointing out your posting history for people to have some insight about where you stand. And I apologize, you are correct. Most of your first 1000 are bashing SWTOR and other competitors of GW2.

the only thing that is happening here is you are bashing a well respected forum poster who spends a lot of time providing and organising resources for people and pointing them in the right direction.

on topic, well since you can spec toughness and kit yourself out damage reducing weapons and utility skills then you can reduce damage. Unfortunately that boss mob or his adds or any of the trash do not care one bit about you in comparison to everyone else. They will be quite happy to run past the heavily defensive guy and start smashing on a damage spec'd elementalist. 

If you want to fill a tank role you have to physically get in the way of projectiles and mobs and force them away from your opponents, keep them crippled and intercept their attacks. The reason why GW2 is different is that I can do that on my thief by specing in a blind/venoms build with some acrobatics thrown in to keep me alive. Instead of using a guardian in the way described I can blind the boss preventing him from hitting regularly and keep him  chilled and in other states to prevent him damaging my opponents. 

One thing you can not do is stand there and hit on a boss and expect him to just hit you back and ignore everyone else.

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

Not attacking you. Just pointing out your posting history for people to have some insight about where you stand. And I apologize, you are correct. Most of your first 1000 are bashing SWTOR and other competitors of GW2.

spent a good amount of  time talking very highly of TSW so try again

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

You say that like you've played it, which you clearly haven't. You couldn't be more wrong. No one's tanking/supporting in an event, and no one CAN tank in a dungeon. Everything hits too hard, even if you're a Guardian traited with tons of defense and heals, you can't tank. You can barely 'tank' normal mobs, let alone things inside dungeons all of which are minimum Champion level. So, no, there's not "still" people doing all those things anyway, and blatantly assuming that despite all the evidence to the contrary is insulting yourself.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Badaboom

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

There will be content patches and non-paid expansions. Actually the live team is going to add Dynamic Events or tweak existing ones all the time. How are you bringing the expectations down by stating there is a tank/healer in the game while there isn't one is beyond me.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Badaboom

No Trinity?!

View of the Holy Trinity

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

except that we've played the game. we know that it's good. for my part, playing it brought up my hype/expectations and that was just the first bwe.

[mod edit]

still think TSW is a great game but Funcom made some huge mistakes which I talked about in my posts prior to launch while playing in closed beta and complaints I made during the beta which in turn I feel has greatly affected how well the game was recieved. GW2 has some issues but far from what is holding TSW back and the game is designed for a much bigger mass of people. GW2 is going to do just fine.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Nah just someone trying to bring the expectations down a notch so that GW2 doesn't burn bright for a month and burn out like every other over-hyped MMORPG has done in the last few years. I'd like to see expansions to this game since there won't be content patches, and if people don't buy the expansions then the game doesn't continue.

They've officially stated there will be both free and paid content added to the game. So, not only have you not played the game, you haven't been keeping up with the information on it either. Good to know.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."