Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the first to encourage a friendly atmosphere?

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Being sociable requires at least two parties interacting with one another.  If one, or more, players are not interacting then YOU can make the effort to initiate the conversation.  I see all the time these posts about how "unsociable" a game is.  With the realative anonymoty of the internet one should have very little anxiety over conversing with others.  It works.  I have had very few issues interacting with other players, especially with initiating.

It is also a good way of finding out who the RP'ers are that take things way to seriously as well! j/k, but no not really...

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I dunno of any other that's done this either. The thing is this, why did the other mmo devs decide that pve should be a competition for resources when they had pleanty of room for it in pvp? (leaving out the consideration of all the clones out there)

I love this. Was telling my husband about this today while playing LOTRO with him. don't have to worry about accidently killing someone elses mob anymore or taking the ore they were about to get or killing the named quest mob they needed before they got there. It's awesome.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by vmoped

Being sociable requires at least two parties interacting with one another.  If one, or more, players are not interacting then YOU can make the effort to initiate the conversation.  I see all the time these posts about how "unsociable" a game is.  With the realative anonymoty of the internet one should have very little anxiety over conversing with others.  It works.  I have had very few issues interacting with other players, especially with initiating.

It is also a good way of finding out who the RP'ers are that take things way to seriously as well! j/k, but no not really...

Cheers!

OP wasn't talking about sociable, he said FRIENDLY which means people aren't in competition for every single thing in pve anymore so it makes for a better play experience.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by itgrowls

OP wasn't talking about sociable, he said FRIENDLY which means people aren't in competition for every single thing in pve anymore so it makes for a better play experience.

I know mate.  I was referring to later posts in the topic where alot of posts revolve around people not being sociable, a bit off track I suppose.  I honestly find the game as friendly as most mmo's I have played.  I suppose it can be a mindset, or maybe due to my habit of typically playing on rp servers....

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Xirik

FXI-XIV CoH, WoW pre dungeon finder. EVE,

Don't be so down cause GW2 isn't the best "Social game"  It has other good features that make of for it. (we will see if that holds true in a year anyway.

the node competition in WOW or mob tagging was never social

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Kniknax

I realised recently that during my time in GW2 I had not get annoyed or pissed off by another player during PVE playtime at all (I didn't try PVP to my shame), which is (sad to say) pretty usual for me in most games. This got me to thinking about whether ArenaNet were actively trying to create a real friendly and fair environment within the game - which is probably a first.

Most if not all MMO's I have played have gameplay mechanics that allow for all sorts of annoyances - from players running in and stealing the freshly popped quest NPC, to the tank having the wrong gear for a dungeon and not telling you, to the level 80 running into town and killing all the quest NPCs, to being ganked by a guy 30 levels higher than you whilst out questing (repeatedly).

However, Guild Wars 2 has things to counter all of these - so they just dont ever happen. They have everyone getting a quest update who helped kill to the NPC, to removing the gear grind and making it skill based, to making everyone in an area the same level. In fact almost every annoyance in most MMO's seem to be countered by Guild Wars.

I can't think of another MMO that seems to do this - but I may be wrong (excluding Hello Kitty Online and Clone Wars - although I'm not so sure about Hello Kitty, it always looked a bit evil).

Without even reading even further in this thread i had to wonder the red marked bit of the OP here.

imho you MUST be a wow player right?

why? well imho its not the tank his fault his gear aint good enough (dungeons have lvl req, not gear req.....the wow community invented this gear req AKA gearscore).

This is why even thinking that this player is wrong is wrong from your part imo.

If games want people to not being able to do high end content then they should check your gear when you want to Q for a dungeon.

The game is designed that way but people like you just cant handle a fiew wipes imo, you want to always win.....there is a surprise waiting for you in the real world m8.

imho its the playes that need be more social and not the game forcing you to be m8

My 2 copperz

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Judging by this forum: NO.
    GW2 only encourages a friendly atmosphere when everyone agrees that GW2 is perfect in every way.

It does when you play it, but not always when you post about it later on a forum.

GW2 is not the first game encouraging this either, but it is the first game encouraging it in a long time.

As I see it is the need or greed feature the real troublemaker in MMOs together with the fact that questing have gone from a group activety to a solothing. Kill stealing were rarer whan people quested in group (even though it was from uncommon).

There have also been a lot more focus on you than in early MMOs that was focused on your group to a larger degree.

The games more or less rewards you for ninja looting today, GW2 doesnt.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by Kniknax

Most if not all MMO's I have played have gameplay mechanics that allow for all sorts of annoyances - from players running in and stealing the freshly popped quest NPC, to the tank having the wrong gear for a dungeon and not telling you, to the level 80 running into town and killing all the quest NPCs, to being ganked by a guy 30 levels higher than you whilst out questing (repeatedly).

Without even reading even further in this thread i had to wonder the red marked bit of the OP here.

imho you MUST be a wow player right?

why? well imho its not the tank his fault his gear aint good enough (dungeons have lvl req, not gear req.....the wow community invented this gear req AKA gearscore).

This is why even thinking that this player is wrong is wrong from your part imo.

Ive seen wow tanks in dps gear - and not defensive gear

this goes beyond issues of undergeared

or worse, a druid healer using feral gear and having a crappy power pool because of it

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

Get Your Arenanet Cake and Eat it To

If GW2 is successful in attracting large numbers of players after release who have no previous experience with GW, I am sure many of these new players will be bowled over by the friendly and helpful community responses when they question why there is no trinity, or why there is no dungeon finder, or simply questions any game design factor which they enjoyed in other games but do not find in GW2.

A very remarkable community indeed!

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by lovefist
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Gotta love it. Of course it's only BWEs we have played, but the entire time I played I had not one time seen a single curse word, a your momma joke, or anything like it. No chatter about other games and nothing negative about GW2 at all. It was a first for me in a beta not seeing any of this. I was part of the Tera beta and that was total WoW crossroads chatter. (nothing against Tera itself). Hopefully this is a more adult oriented mmorpg.

True, I didn't see any of that either...but to be fair, I didn't see a whole lot of chat at all about anything! I think the chat system in GW2 could be a bit better, and let you know a bit clearer what channel you're in or whats being said where. I found it hard to distinguish when someone was talking in /say or in /map. If it had channel names or maybe channel coloured text it would make it far easier.

I didn't see a lot of chat cuz I wasn't looking at the chat box.  I was immersed in the world on my screen.  Maybe after a couple of months I'll pay more attention to the chat box.

But I agree with the O.P., and I'm very interested in what the community will be like in a game that takes most of the interpersonal conflict mechanisms out of the system and replaces them with cooperative mechanisms.

• Ban_KhaerosBan_Khaeros Member Posts: 27

Guild Wars 2 isn't a magic pill.  Trade chat heroes will still be trade chat heroes; trolls will be trolls.  It has nothing to do with the accessibility of the game or the design decisions made by the developers.  It has everything to do with the attitude of the players that choose to use the chat and the sensitivity of the other players.

Accessibility has no effect:  World of Warcraft has a barrier to entry and has annoying trade chat.  Dungeons and Dragons Online has a low barrier to entry and its zone chats are tame.

Design decisions have no effect:  DDO is an inward-focused, instance-heavy MMO played alone or in small teams and still manages to have a relatively friendly community.  EVE Online is a sandbox game that represents a rogue's gallery of scammers.

Instead, the community will be defined by one thing: the sensitivity of the responders.

If someone in the zone chat points out a flaw of GW2 and people rise up getting mad and start tapping away with their own snide comments to reinforce their like of the game (groupthink / circlejerk, a problem that exists on these forums right here), you can bet that people will constantly instigate the playerbase.  Once you show that you are vulnerable to getting mad over a video game, the trolls will pose as critical gamers and get you riled up.

If you want a drama-free zone chat, every single GW2 player must learn how to politely respond to critical gamers (and have an open mind when considering their claims) and ignore trolls.  However, if 99% of people on MMORPG.com can't ignore trolls and the GW2 subforum is a clique that blasts anyone for pointing out a potential problem with the game, how do you expect that Guru community to?

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Ban_Khaeros

If you want a drama-free zone chat, every single GW2 player must learn how to politely respond to critical gamers (and have an open mind when considering their claims) and ignore trolls.  However, if 99% of people on MMORPG.com can't ignore trolls and the GW2 subforum is a clique that blasts anyone for pointing out a potential problem with the game, how do you expect that Guru community to?

Can you point out a SINGLE post by a "critical" gamer, pointing out a potential problem that was actually "blasted" by anyone?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

i dont know about this but can eveybody revive other players ? is it automatic action also ? like if you go close enough to someones body then your characters revives him automatically ?

if not then it will be ultimate weapon and i can see lots of crying coming when someone doesnt revive you and it must be made automatic also.

Let's internet

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Stx11

Your points were fine. However:

"These "is GW2 the first to do this" threads are grasping at straws and really adding to the over-hype nonsense."

certainly colors your post in a certain light, no?

Ok, I'm going to assume you haven't been to the forums recently, but for the past few months there has been an excessive amount of posts claiming features of GW2 are wholly original and groundbreaking (even to someone expounding on how "amazing" the login screen is).

So, yes, my statement can seem colored to the unitiated. 

True however there have been an equal number of the "this game is {insert colorful metaphor here}, and will never be as good as {insert other game here}" or "I am not playing this game because of these changes that need to be made and if they are not made game will die in two months"

oh and my to favorites

"enough with the posts about {insert either complaint about over hype or complaint about over cynisicm}"

both side of course feels as thoguh the other side is not allowed to have an opinion. the reason you are a being labeled a hater is simply because you are coming off as being on the side of the coin that feels that somneone "hyped" about the game is not allowed said "hyped" opinion.

Personaly I am exicted for the game, yes there are problems but there are no perfect games anymore, saying it is "over hyped nonsense" is as equally stupid as saying "gw2 is the first to ____"

the reason....all games are over hyped, it's marketing, very few games make it when they are not hyped, and this game is hardly over hyped compared to SWTOR(not to bad mouth a game but with the amount of short movies they made they should have just made a full movie). 

so yes I understand there are problems with this game, there are problems with any game.....but damnit can you not let us get excited about a game on said games forums?!

• Ban_KhaerosBan_Khaeros Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by seridan

Can you point out a SINGLE post by a "critical" gamer, pointing out a potential problem that was actually "blasted" by anyone?

Sure can.  But to be honest, all you have to do is go here and scroll through the topics, clicking on any thread that mentions a problem about GW2.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

i dont know about this but can eveybody revive other players ? is it automatic action also ? like if you go close enough to someones body then your characters revives him automatically ?

if not then it will be ultimate weapon and i can see lots of crying coming when someone doesnt revive you and it must be made automatic also.

Anyone can rez...yes...

It is not automatic it takes a few seconds. Far as whether it will be an issue? Meh...some will rant about it and some will appreciate when they receive it. I don't see one aspect being any more prevalent than the other.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Anyone can rez...yes...

It is not automatic it takes a few seconds. Far as whether it will be an issue? Meh...some will rant about it and some will appreciate when they receive it. I don't see one aspect being any more prevalent than the other.

thanks.

as i see it ,it will be the ultimate weapon of world PvP ,you cant attack any other players but now you can.

dont rez them is just like you kill them in wow etc, and make them spawn to nearest spawnpoint or whatever it is.

Let's internet

Sure can.  But to be honest, all you have to do is go here and scroll through the topics, clicking on any thread that mentions a problem about GW2.

The link you provided says nothing. The OP didn't know what he was talking about, the comment about end-game not being ready was already refuted by the devs as nothing but "incorrect" and irrelevant information. I went to your second link (nice way to be funny) and found no posts of the sort you mentioned yet.

Try again

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Anyone can rez...yes...

thanks.

as i see it ,it will be the ultimate weapon of world PvP ,you cant attack any other players but now you can.

dont rez them is just like you kill them in wow etc, and make them spawn to nearest spawnpoint or whatever it is.

I should probably be clearer that I'm referring to the downed state. That is what you can bring someone up quickly from. Technically if they're dead then they have to respawn. So if they're downed you can bring them up quickly. If they're dead they have to respawn.

Probably should have been clearer on that. My bad. Still trying to wake up this morning.

Far as downed state goes. It's interesting. Do you leave a player in that state essentially taking him out of the fight as a main player for a longer period of time knowing he may be able to getr back that much quicker if he is able to take out a player or be stuck in the state for some time unable to really help his team?  Do you kb him and let him respawn? Kind of a neat concept. Could potentially be frustrating though too.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Guild Wars 2 isn't the first MMO to push a collaborative effort, but I do think it's the first to do it so effectively. I think they put the competition in PvP where it belongs, while PvE focuses on giving people opportunities to work together versus fighting over trivial things like mobs and loot. For me, the bosses and the loot become secondary in GW2, it's fun because I feel like I'm a part of one huge, epic team. That team effort is very enticing and is what will keep the game fun for me long after I've sucked the content dry.

Other devs seem to agree considering much of GW2's elements are starting to get worked into their games. People get their own loot, no kill stealing, etc. It's nice. I think that should be the standard, one less bit of ammunition for childish griefers.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Well as more people play, the community will decrease, mobs,loot and "etc" do not always invoke "Bad attitudes" sometimes it's just people in general.

It is really easy to say  the community is perfect pre-release.

Not to say GW2 does not have some awesome people from what/whom I've played with.

But I still don't have my head up in the sun shiney precious moments to realize this is only the result of beta weekends (And soon pre-release for like everyone of us who pre-ordered).

Give it a month and the rot will start.

In almost every single mmo, the beta community is FAR different than the "vast majority".

It's akin to a "Tribal" mentality to a "City multi tier tribal" mentality.

Basically..Villagers versus gangsters.

Anyone can rez...yes...

thanks.

I should probably be clearer that I'm referring to the downed state. That is what you can bring someone up quickly from. Technically if they're dead then they have to respawn. So if they're downed you can bring them up quickly. If they're dead they have to respawn.

Probably should have been clearer on that. My bad. Still trying to wake up this morning.

Far as downed state goes. It's interesting. Do you leave a player in that state essentially taking him out of the fight as a main player for a longer period of time knowing he may be able to getr back that much quicker if he is able to take out a player or be stuck in the state for some time unable to really help his team?  Do you kb him and let him respawn? Kind of a neat concept. Could potentially be frustrating though too.

You can revive anyone when they are either in the downed state or defeated. If they are downed they can revive themselves if they kill someone or if they use the skill bandage and not take any damage while doing so. If someone is defeated they can either wait to be revived by others or release to a waypoint they like.

Reviving gives contribution in events, you can get a gold medal if you revive enough people, even if you don't deal much damage. Also, events scale depending on the number of players, more players, harder events, even if they are downed or defeated, this means that reviving is essential. Riviving also gives experience and since there is no kill stealing, I find zero point not reviving someone.

Anyone can rez...yes...

thanks.

dang ,i allready allmost saw myself playing " theres MeGa_TuRbO´s corpse on the floor dead begging for rez,soz MT not this time"

but no,dang you ANET!

Let's internet

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Someone has probably already said this, but I believe the Public Quests in WARHammer was the first to do the 'friendly' grouping thing w/o having to.

GW2 has taken that idea and taken the classes and the DEs well beyond that, it's incredible to watch imho. I love watching the DEs light up and run off to help.

Having played both games, WARHammer had the right ideas, but they lost their community so quickly due to other factors the PQs never really had a chance to function properly.

I don't see that happening with GW2's designs, the game just doesn't have the same flaws, they watched and learned the mistakes of the past games, something that is so smart, yet not done very often.

You can revive anyone when they are either in the downed state or defeated. If they are downed they can revive themselves if they kill someone or if they use the skill bandage and not take any damage while doing so. If someone is defeated they can either wait to be revived by others or release to a waypoint they like.

Reviving gives contribution in events, you can get a gold medal if you revive enough people, even if you don't deal much damage. Also, events scale depending on the number of players, more players, harder events, even if they are downed or defeated, this means that reviving is essential. Riviving also gives experience and since there is no kill stealing, I find zero point not reviving someone.

I don't see why one wouldn't but you know how some players are.

Then there are times where some aren't patient enough to wait because sometimes pending on the scenario you can't get to them.

You have all types. Although I can't see one being more prevalent than the other. In most cases not helping those players is only going to possibly hurt themselvesd anyways.