Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Dynamic World of Tyria.. your thoughts on DE's

124»

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Those who know me, know Im new to this whole MMO thing. I come 20+ years from the console side which has bored me lately.  I started MMOs with SWTOR got bored and then fell in love with EQ2 (also played Vanguard, EQ1, Eden Eternal, PWE, Dragons Nest, DCUO, and even a few levels of WOW.. which didnt impress me).  I loved the massive amounts of content and number crunching, yet felt the gameplay was antiquated. I felt like I was playing an 'old' game and that took a part of the fun away. Let alone the wall of action bars that I had made combat static.

When I first played GW2 I was fustrated.  Where was I supposed to go?  Where was my quest?  It didnt start to sink in until I just started wandering around and thats when I realized... FINALLY a game that promotes exploration. Didnt think it existed. For all the nay sayers DE are simply awesome.  I will never be able to go back to the old ways.  Yeah I seen a few DEs over and over but thats because I didnt take the time to see what happens next, which to me is a better 'story' than what I got in SWTOR.

What will be fun to me and actually get me to play more than a few weeks is the possibility of seeing more challenging DEs (or perhaps larger chains) and assumed promise that this is only LAUNCH and that the game will get better as the development team matures.  That just sounds fresh and exciting.

All I need now is Housing and my 'home' MMO will be complete :-)   And Im willing to wait on the belief that ANet will (eventually) add it in due time.

See you Saturday!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Those who know me, know Im new to this whole MMO thing. I come 20+ years from the console side which has bored me lately.  I started MMOs with SWTOR got bored and then fell in love with EQ2 (also played Vanguard, EQ1, Eden Eternal, PWE, Dragons Nest, DCUO, and even a few levels of WOW.. which didnt impress me).  I loved the massive amounts of content and number crunching, yet felt the gameplay was antiquated. I felt like I was playing an 'old' game and that took a part of the fun away. Let alone the wall of action bars that I had made combat static.

When I first played GW2 I was fustrated.  Where was I supposed to go?  Where was my quest?  It didnt start to sink in until I just started wandering around and thats when I realized... FINALLY a game that promotes exploration. Didnt think it existed. For all the nay sayers DE are simply awesome.  I will never be able to go back to the old ways.  Yeah I seen a few DEs over and over but thats because I didnt take the time to see what happens next, which to me is a better 'story' than what I got in SWTOR.

What will be fun to me and actually get me to play more than a few weeks is the possibility of seeing more challenging DEs (or perhaps larger chains) and assumed promise that this is only LAUNCH and that the game will get better as the development team matures.  That just sounds fresh and exciting.

All I need now is Housing and my 'home' MMO will be complete :-)   And Im willing to wait on the belief that ANet will (eventually) add it in due time.

See you Saturday!

good meaningfull immersive exploration.. it just takes PVE to another level in so many ways. Just hoping not to many get caught up doing the heart to haert run and sit back look around and explore the world..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I feel like the idea of a "living breathing world" gets tossed around all too loosely with this game. When I think about that idea I think about EVE online and how if I destroy someone's ships, they stay destroyed. Somewhere, some manufacturer will make a buck from that pilot (or those pilots) having to replace said ship(s).

Goonswarm Federation promoting the interdiction of ice mining drove up ice mineral prices across the entire universe.

If my corp or alliance goes out and invades your sov and blows all your POS'es and such up, they stay destroyed. We can take over your sov. Again, manufacturers make a buck from the sov blockade units needed to seige sov as well as the structures needed to claim and defend said sov.

Activities can happen that completely change the game 23/7. These things don't just magically respawn a few hours later for the next group of people. To me, that's a living breathing world.

GW2 provides a great scripted world, but it's far from a living breathing one.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by HellSings
    Personally, I find most DEs to be boring as hell. Maybe its because I played them several times over in BWEs. Heres hoping the end game areas offer more exciting ones.

what MMO PVE quests do you find exciting?

Challenging ones. I'm not a PvEr and traditional quests arent my thing, 2 repetitive and boring. GW2 probably comes the closest to having the best questing system in MMOs (NOT MAIN STORY), imo. I hope higher level ones are more challenging, for example a DE with multiple bosses. Also, most are confined within one area, I would like to see some that expand through out the map. I can recall only a few that utilize both land and underwater, a nice touch.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    I have a question and its totally serious.  Are you on Arenanets payroll?  This has to go beyond just an infactuation with a computer game.  Everyone here likes MMO's but there needs to be balance.
  • HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    I have a question and its totally serious.  Are you on Arenanets payroll?  This has to go beyond just an infactuation with a computer game.  Everyone here likes MMO's but there needs to be balance.

Huh?

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

I've read this and versions of this since MMO's began.."Dynamic world" "monsters react to players"...etc.

Its the ultimate goal..a world that reacts in a real way to the players actions. Problem is they hype this type of thing to the point that when you actually get in game its lackluster or totally foreign to their claims.

I'd really like to believe it will be as dynamic as they claim..but going by the reality of what can be done today the "dynamic world" will not be as dynamic as they tell you.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Don't hate on the guy for being passionate about the game. He's eagerly awaiting the release and the game and fills his spare time with trying to promote discussion about the game in a discussion forum about said game. I'm sure he would rather be playing the game, but for now this will have to do.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by helthros

I feel like the idea of a "living breathing world" gets tossed around all too loosely with this game. When I think about that idea I think about EVE online and how if I destroy someone's ships, they stay destroyed. Somewhere, some manufacturer will make a buck from that pilot (or those pilots) having to replace said ship(s).

Goonswarm Federation promoting the interdiction of ice mining drove up ice mineral prices across the entire universe.

If my corp or alliance goes out and invades your sov and blows all your POS'es and such up, they stay destroyed. We can take over your sov. Again, manufacturers make a buck from the sov blockade units needed to seige sov as well as the structures needed to claim and defend said sov.

Activities can happen that completely change the game 23/7. These things don't just magically respawn a few hours later for the next group of people. To me, that's a living breathing world.

It's generally not used in the same context you use it in regards to gw2, does the world feel inhabited is the question or does it feel like a static lifeless back drop for the game mechanics *cough* swtor *cough*

EVE is quite bad in this regard but.. then it's also depecting space so it's accurate :P but even stations feel rather lifeless perhaps with the walking around in them that will get a boost.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Dis if  you play this one like it's meant to be played go out and just explore the world you may be pleasantly suprised.. same as you up till now have found very very little immersion in MMOs

I'm not counting the game out by any measure, like say I find a decent community to hang out with, that alone can bring some immersion. It is a big step toward making a game feel less game-like. I guess the best way to descibe how I feel playing what I have of GW2, it feels like I'm playing within a whimsical fantasy cartoon/anime. Which is a good thing for me, it's similar to the feeling I had playing TOR ( which felt like a Star Wars cartoon to me). The thing that puts GW2 above that is that it has something other than that going for it, good explorability, and in comparison great PVP.

EDIT- What i mean by cartoon is the vibe, I'm not saying it's kiddy...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

If they are they're a lucky soul if this is their job, but come on now, postive thread=employee. Considering that, do you work for a competitor?

Was my question equally asinine enough?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Great points, but the truth is many people don't actually want a "living breathing world" only the illusion of one.

The strength of sandboxes like EVE is real actions = real consequences, but the drawback (that another poster mentioned) is just like reality, oftentimes nothing interesting or exciting is happening.

Also, many people (especially PvE-focused players from a themepark background) don't want their bodies looted, their armor stolen, their mounts killed, or "strip mall castles" appearing on the top of every hill in the game.

GW2 is a huge step forward (NOT end-all be-all) in "creating the illusion" as there are things happening all around almost all the time for players to jump in and interact with. There's a lot of potential and room for growth and improvement in the model GW2 is starting and I hope to see that happen whether it is in GW2 or other games (preferably both spanning multiple genres/game styles).

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

This truthfully reminds me of real time strategy games, I think most know the ones I mean.  Except instead of micromanaging a entire army, you are now one of the individual units down on the field.  I mean anyone who played Age of Empires way back in the nineties can see the similarity here.  They have simply adapted it to an MMORPG.

Nothing wrong with that, I loved those games.  But since there is no end point it kind of means every battle will be meaningless, in that the conflict never ends.  However it will seem meaningful to those who are presently in the world.  And that I think is the whole point.  It is not a living world but it certainly helps the illusion for sure. 

Some people just can't get past the fact that is is still an illusion, unfortunately.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Distopia

Dis if  you play this one like it's meant to be played go out and just explore the world you may be pleasantly suprised.. same as you up till now have found very very little immersion in MMOs

I'm not counting the game out by any measure, like say I find a decent community to hang out with, that alone can bring some immersion. It is a big step toward making a game feel less game-like. I guess the best way to descibe how I feel playing what I have of GW2, it feels like I'm playing within a whimsical fantasy cartoon/anime. Which is a good thing for me, it's similar to the feeling I had playing TOR ( which felt like a Star Wars cartoon to me). The thing that puts GW2 above that is that it has something other than that going for it, good explorability, and in comparison great PVP.

EDIT- What i mean by cartoon is the vibe, I'm not saying it's kiddy...

You said before, that gw2 have ps to go against swtor, however actually in 2008(before swtor was even known) ArenaNet talk about personal story.

Second the cinematic for the ps, is not because of money. It because that is there art style. It how they do it for everything in the game.

Which I personal love, I can focus on whats going on better.

Plus I did 5 different story lines, and I will agree some are not as good as others.

I like the charr one I did, and the sylvari. Both was my two fav, but the human one was a bit dull to me. The norn, and other charr one i did was okay but not the best.

My guess is depending on what type of things you like, some of the ps lines will bore you and others will be fun to you.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Mothanos

People saying shit like game world isnt immersive have no clue whatsover about gaming worlds.

GW2 has made the most immersive world that any mmo has seen to date.

Either trolls or haters say shit like that.

ive play so many mmo's even TSW, while the world looks quite impressive, mobs just stand there....doing nothing.
    In GW2 Mobs attack civillians, burn down houses, attack key locations, or gaurd stuff.
    If that aint immmersive i want to know what is.

Dynamic Events (not played alot of them) seem to be a whole new way to replace boring quests.
    WoW added 400 daily quests, no thanks ive done around 1000000 daily quests already and iam not going to pay 55 euro + 130 euro again to do them all over again.

DE's are the future of serious mmo's, and while arenanet aint the 1st who implemented it (warhammer) (Rift) they have implemented them on a whole new level.

each time i play a mmo and pickup a quest is like putting in that VHS video tape inside a relic piece of machinery.

Exactly. 

Is GW2 a living breathing dynamic world?  No but it sure is damn close.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105

There seem to be three camps of people who don't "get" DE's, and i think that from their perspective they have a point. You won't convince them, and they don't need convincing. They need either a game more specifically catered for them, or find something else in GW2 to enjoy.

-pure sandboxers: Any goal created by the dev has no place in a game, it should be player driven only. De's are Dev created, so fall into the same category as quests

-players who like to be told what to do: there are plenty of players who enjoy running from ! to ? and back again. without this, they'll feel somewhat lost and are unsure if they are progressing correctly. Basically the complete oposite of sandboxers. DE's will be slightly confusing, as they will not know what to do or when to do it.

-pure PvPers: PvE, however dressed up, is no more than a way to get geared and leveled up. DE's might just be obstacles and the fact that they're not always "up" could well be seen as a hindrance. Taking it further, DE's, by there cooperative nature, could even be seen as a reason for not having open world PvP

You can keep repeating the beauty of DE's to these groups of people, but they will never understand, as it doesn't fit with their preferred playstyle. While DE's are amazing to a lot of people, they are not to all. It would be nice though, if posters recognize in what group they fall and when they do comment on DE's, add in their comment from which perspective they are looking at DE's. Maybe then GW2 fans will understand why they don't like DE's, and those who are on the fence will be better informed as to see to which type of players each feature of GW2 caters best

this whole thread litteraly took me 5 mintutes to put together so not sure what your issue is

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Mothanos

People saying shit like game world isnt immersive have no clue whatsover about gaming worlds.

GW2 has made the most immersive world that any mmo has seen to date.

Either trolls or haters say shit like that.

ive play so many mmo's even TSW, while the world looks quite impressive, mobs just stand there....doing nothing.
    In GW2 Mobs attack civillians, burn down houses, attack key locations, or gaurd stuff.
    If that aint immmersive i want to know what is.

Dynamic Events (not played alot of them) seem to be a whole new way to replace boring quests.
    WoW added 400 daily quests, no thanks ive done around 1000000 daily quests already and iam not going to pay 55 euro + 130 euro again to do them all over again.

DE's are the future of serious mmo's, and while arenanet aint the 1st who implemented it (warhammer) (Rift) they have implemented them on a whole new level.

each time i play a mmo and pickup a quest is like putting in that VHS video tape inside a relic piece of machinery.

Exactly. 

Is GW2 a living breathing dynamic world?  No but it sure is damn close.

agreed obviously there is a limit to what they are trying to do in creating the perception of a living world and making everything have permanent effects. Like i posted earlier its the balance they had to come to, to allow as many people to enjoy the content as possible and yet still give that feeling of a living world.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by snapfusion I have a question and its totally serious.  Are you on Arenanets payroll?  This has to go beyond just an infactuation with a computer game.  Everyone here likes MMO's but there needs to be balance.

Don't hate on the guy for being passionate about the game. He's eagerly awaiting the release and the game and fills his spare time with trying to promote discussion...

If he/she wanted to promote discussion, then he would post something more balanced or even bad about GW2, not all this "the Devs have said..." BS like AmazingAvery did close to the release of Age of Conan.

The devs want to sell you a game, never forget it. ;)

Originally posted by Herodes

Originally posted by snapfusion I have a question and its totally serious.  Are you on Arenanets payroll?  This has to go beyond just an infactuation with a computer game.  Everyone here likes MMO's but there needs to be balance.

Don't hate on the guy for being passionate about the game. He's eagerly awaiting the release and the game and fills his spare time with trying to promote discussion...

If he/she wanted to promote discussion, then he would post something more balanced or even bad about GW2, not all this "the Devs have said..." BS like AmazingAvery did close to the release of Age of Conan.

The devs want to sell you a game, never forget it. ;)

which is why i added in the videos of actual players not devs' then asked for people who dislike the DE's to discuss why