Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scam or...

2»

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Vaporware is kinda  hard to define after Duke Nukem Forever finally got released. That was listed as vaporware for what 10 years?
  • NefastusNefastus Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

I don't think it's a scam, but  by the time the game is released (2016 lol) this game may become vaporware and if it manages to see the light, it will be another Darkfail, MortalFail, etc. with a small group of gankers in a massive ghost town virtual world.

You haven't read anything about EoC's PvP,have you?

Nefastus - Enclave

Originally posted by SanHor

What kind of level of commitment do they show by asking for donations? Donations are for non-profitable organizations and projects like charity, modders making  free mods, etc.What they need is a bank loan or find an investor like any other legitimate business. And if they can't find any of that then you're better off buying youself an ice cream than donating to these guys.     

Kickstarter donations are being used to speed up development of prototype of the game to have it presented to potential investors. Please read a bit more about the game and goal of kickstarter campaign.

Nefastus - Enclave

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Actually having playing another game with one of the devs of Embers of Caerus, I can vouch for this not being a scam. 

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

It's not scam but I wouldn't get high hopes. If you bother reading bios of makers I fail to see any example of MMO project that they been part. Infact most is just babbling how they like games etc. Stuff that always makes me smile:

"Now, with the fantastic support of leading software company Havok " -means we bought Havok license, wau

Havok engine costs about 10k$ if you believe what people write in forums plus 7,5k$ for Raknet leaves them with 7,5k$ for rest of stuff. Ofc they don't need to pay those now since both allow rather flexible licensing. Ofc employing one person for year costs nearly 50k$ so software is cheap.

Overall this feels like Mortal Online again. Inexperienced team, high hopes, using new tools, pushing tools to limit and over, very limited budget and aiming very small but demanding customer group.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523

Just because any US citizen can run for President doesn't mean they should; just because anyone has what they think are great ideas for a game doesn't mean they should all be making video games.

I'm not trying to "crash the party", but I think every once in a while a dosage of reality is in order. I do have a few questions for EoC devs though...

1. Have you guys secured a publishing company for your prototype?

2. Has the publishing company demonstrated enough interest in your game?

3. Have you guys considered taking a loan in order to fund the development of the prototype? If you guys aren't willing to take a risk for your own game, why should we?

Cheers!

• ThradokThradok Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Sasami

Havok engine costs about 10k$ if you believe what people write in forums plus 7,5k$ for Raknet leaves them with 7,5k$ for rest of stuff. Ofc they don't need to pay those now since both allow rather flexible licensing. Ofc employing one person for year costs nearly 50k$ so software is cheap.

Did you not see how much they got from KS? 10k+7.5k+7.5k = 35k, leaving another ~10k you didn't account for.

Originally posted by sammandar

1. Have you guys secured a publishing company for your prototype?

2. Has the publishing company demonstrated enough interest in your game?

3. Have you guys considered taking a loan in order to fund the development of the prototype? If you guys aren't willing to take a risk for your own game, why should we?

Cheers!

1. The prototype is being built to secure such financial support.

2. I have no way of knowing this, but they have said they've already turned down an investor(s?) because they wanted to make the game free to play.

3. A loan? What was the Kickstarter for then? Also, until the Kickstarter, it was the Dev's paying out of pocket. A few of them are already doing this full time (for free), so don't tell me they aren't willing to take a risk.

Nefastus - Enclave

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Thradok

Did you not see how much they got from KS? 10k+7.5k+7.5k = 35k, leaving another ~10k you didn't account for.

They only asked for 25k$ thats why I counted for that. Again even with this extra cash leaves open who pays the human cost? I find it weird that they needed to ask 25k$ for tools yet they have enough money to support 150k$/yr for life costs of 3 people. Or are they working this as hobby besides real jobs?

Also keep mind that KS takes like 10% or something.

• ThradokThradok Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Thradok

They only asked for 25k$ thats why I counted for that. Again even with this extra cash leaves open who pays the human cost? I find it weird that they needed to ask 25k$ for tools yet they have enough money to support 150k$/yr for life costs of 3 people. Or are they working this as hobby besides real jobs?

Also keep mind that KS takes like 10% or something.

All volunteer at the moment, with over 50 people contributing at last count. 2 have no other job, one is doing 8 hours after his day job. Most people are putting in several hours a day after their normal job. Once an investor is secured they will hire as many people as they can full time.