Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you go back....

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    I'd be tempted to check out a Vanilla server, but I really don't know how much I would enjoy it. Back when WoW was new, and everyone was just getting into it, it was great. I don't think it's because of the state of the game either. I think it was because it was new and exciting for everyone. It was my first MMO experience, so everything was new and awesome. Now that I've "been around the block" with a fair number of them, nothing is really new anymore.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Blizz would never implement a legacy server. Not now anyway. Yes it would be a huge money maker. But at the same time, it would probably end up killing WoW's current state. We aren't talking about some leftover server tucked away in some quiet corner where a few people go live out the good ole times. It would be huge. Probably overshadow the current release. How would that look? Blizz's legacy servers gaining more popularity and noteriety than the current live release? If they went live with Vanilla, they might as well just put a bullet in the current version of WoW (Which they should consider doing anyway)

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Ive played on some fine Vanilla private servers, but you get bored of that also.
    Its a matter of time before you dont log in anymore as you have seen Vanilla for such long time already ( if you played it in (2004/2005)

Also WoW's EU population has been hit very hard, Blizzard wont release EU numbers, but when you check the server list you see massive amounts of death servers...
    Worse part is Blizzard does nothing to assist those.

Would have liked that option in Cataclysm tough, but MoP chased me away from WoW, not only due to panda's and pokemon, but the return of the massive amount of daily quests you need to do...

Still i think it would be a very popular choice for alot of veteran players tough :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by FringeFanBoi
    If Wow released vanilla servers? Personally that's the only way I'd ever go back. 

No.  Got to keep moving forward.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I won't go back because Blizzard reminds me too much of a bi-polar ex girlfriend who is obsessed with controlling me!  My account was permanently banned back in April of 2012 for gold selling even though I have not played the game since March of 2011.  After sitting on the phone for 2 hours on hold I gave up since I have no interest in playing WoW.  I ignored emails due to most of them appeared to be phishing scams.  Now I am bombarded by Blizzard to come back to WoW emails.  It's kind of scary that they want me gone for doing nothing (other than not changing my password to a game I don't play anymore after having my email hacked) and now they are begging me back.

I've been in this scenario before.  Experience has taught me to just politely decline them, and avoid them at all costs!

I don't want to end up on "The First 48"!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Nope. Simply because I know Vanilla too well. And while it was fun with all the challenges, levelling took ages.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    HAHAHAHAHA AHHHH HA HA HAHA HA HA HA.... no

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

The only way I'd go back was after a memory-wipe back to 2005. 

Hint: If I had a time machine, without a shred of doubt I'd set it to the future, not the past. :)

Originally posted by solarine

The only way I'd go back was after a memory-wipe back to 2005. 

Hint: If I had a time machine, without a shred of doubt I'd set it to the future, not the past. :)

SCrew a time machine i want a TARDIS.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    No I wouldn't people are looking at vanilla through rose coloured glasses, WoW was a mess back in vanilla, it lacked a clear direction on most things, it was fun no doubt and I had many hundreds of hours of fun while playing it, but we need to go forward not backwards. There were a whole array of terribad stuff in vanilla for every awesome thing I vaguely remember.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Only way I'd go back is if they quit pandering to the masses and make true old school MMO features.  Guild halls, Player housing, explorable content, Alternate Advancement for skills and abilities and some other sandbox features.  They would also need to transition over to a horizontal gear scaling and do away with vertical progression.

Why would we want WOW to be a GW2 clone (except player housing). Vertical progression is why WOW is and will remain on top. Yes, I like sandbox games too but no progression sounds like a very dull world. The "skill over gear" argument reminds me so much of the "story is the 4th pillar" argument of SWTOR. The lack of an endgame hurt SWTOR bad and the idea of an end game where the rewards are just achievements and cosmetic gear will not help GW2. I expect to see the same results (initial mass purchase and then mass dropoff). The good news is that GW2 is a one time purchase.

Plus, I did go back after the third GW2 beta and am enjoying the heck out of WOW. I forgot how much fun flying is! I love the cartoony but beautiful graphics, the humor, knowing where the quests begin and end, shape changing and so much more. WOW is not perfect by any means and it certainly is not as fun as with Wrath of the Lich King but, for me, it is back as my favorite. Yes, GW2 is fun but WOW was and will be my long term keeper. 

Originally posted by tordurbar
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Only way I'd go back is if they quit pandering to the masses and make true old school MMO features.  Guild halls, Player housing, explorable content, Alternate Advancement for skills and abilities and some other sandbox features.  They would also need to transition over to a horizontal gear scaling and do away with vertical progression.

Why would we want WOW to be a GW2 clone (except player housing). Vertical progression is why WOW is and will remain on top. Yes, I like sandbox games too but no progression sounds like a very dull world. The "skill over gear" argument reminds me so much of the "story is the 4th pillar" argument of SWTOR. The lack of an endgame hurt SWTOR bad and the idea of an end game where the rewards are just achievements and cosmetic gear will not help GW2. I expect to see the same results (initial mass purchase and then mass dropoff). The good news is that GW2 is a one time purchase.

Plus, I did go back after the third GW2 beta and am enjoying the heck out of WOW. I forgot how much fun flying is! I love the cartoony but beautiful graphics, the humor, knowing where the quests begin and end, shape changing and so much more. WOW is not perfect by any means and it certainly is not as fun as with Wrath of the Lich King but, for me, it is back as my favorite. Yes, GW2 is fun but WOW was and will be my long term keeper. 

Yeah i went back to WoW for a month after the TSW beta test.... i couldnt do it. wasted money on a time card.  game was boring, just being able to fly is not enough to keep me entertained.

Because i can.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Nope. I played since open beta-release day up until the end of 2011. It's too boring now days.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Loaded question but okay. Nope in fact i was going to login in the next couple of days to say goodbye to old friends one last time. Never to step into Azeroth again, sorry blizzard i've found my new love.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Hokie
    If it was up to The Burning Crusade, but before The Isle of Quel'danas. That was some of the worst rep-grind that was added up until that point.

As a matter of fact I consider that the turning point of where Blizzard statered releasing Rep-grind like it was actual content.

That, and if the got rid of Arena and focused more on Open World PvP and Battlegrounds.

Personally I could give a crap about Deathknights, Goblins, Worgen, Pandas or even (the) Cataclysm or the Lich King.

IMO, I believe the turn for the worst started with the intro of "EZ-Mode" Which if memory serves was patch 2.3. This included sparkly quest objectives increased XP gains 1-60 etc etc.

Go back before that, and I'd re sub today.

I remember that patch.  That's when re-formulated quest XP made it so that grinding was no longer a productive way to level.  It killed group grinding overnight.  Since group questing is far less efficient than soloing, it also started the death of overland grouping in general.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Abor

Posts like these are plain circle-jerks. It's like saying "If you could go back to highschool and reunite with your HS girlfriend" would you do it? Your HS girlfriend was awesome, then she changed, you both changed, went off to college and did new things. You're a different person now than you were before and probably wouldn't enjoy what you liked back then either. It's the same reason your grandparents say "Remember the days when we use to hike 5 miles to school and gas cost 5 cents a gallon?"

^^^^ I couldn't say it better myself.
  • kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

I've played on vanilla private servers and let me tell you... IT GETS DEPRESSING. Just running through the areas where I used to play with older friends when we were just teenagers sent me into some serious depression, since we all drifted apart into adulthood... I really wish I could stay in that 16 year old 'dumb teenager mode' with nothing better to do forever...but things have to change. It's depressing but a human mind has to move on and grow up.

Just hearing the barrens music sends nostalgic chils down my spine. 

Damn...very few joys in this world like being a dumb teenager with too much time on your hands...sort of related but I read that human beings are most miserable when their responsibilities are at their greatest, which is in his 30's...just more wonderful things I have to look forward to in life, great. 

• PixilatedPixilated Member UncommonPosts: 30

I'd go back but not at $15 month.....

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    $5-$6 a month for vanilla server access is something I would definitely try, as long as they promised it would be forever content/level-locked.

<3

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by FringeFanBoi
    If Wow released vanilla servers? Personally that's the only way I'd ever go back. 

Vanilla - yeah most probably.
    TBC - That's a certainty.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by azrael466
    This is what I find funny about the WoW playerbase, as a whole, not just you OP.

>Bitch there isn't enough content.

>Bitch that you can beat raids when they're released in a few weeks.

>Demand vanilla servers

No one sees the hilarity in that? no one? Okay..

It's not as simple as that.

It's because of the "EZ-Mode" mentality. Vanilla and TBC had the content. But it took time to get through it. You had to build up, there was a logical progression. in Vanilla and TBC.

Come 3.1, it got all screwed up. They sped up the ride. faster and faster, you had to burn through it, all the while completely making previous content irrelevant. I've said it before, When you have to release 5 man instances with better gear drops than the 20man raid instances in the same level to compensate for the gap for new or under geared, the game is broken.

It's not that they gave us what we "bitched" for.

It's what they gave us was #$^%&@ broken!

it is as simple as that..If you want vanilla servers, you're LITERALLY ASKING TO BE STUCK IN THE SAME CONTENT CYCLE FOREVER. and yet people bitch that they 'finish' content too fast. Its hypocracy at its finest, and you think you wouldn't get tired of vanilla content after awhile? after the nostalgia goggles fell off?

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Yes, Vanilla WoW was amazing. And I've just found out that a classic server is coming out, so I'm excited!

EmeraldDream.com

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by newbinator

Yes, Vanilla WoW was amazing. And I've just found out that a classic server is coming out, so I'm excited!

EmeraldDream.com

preeeeeeeeeetty sure thats fives kinds of illegal.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Well... You know that you can still do all of those raids, right? There are "old school" guilds out there that stop their level progression at 60 or 70 (which you can do through an NPC in the main city), and just raid and progress through the old content at their own speed.

The talents and balance of course are all new and updated, so that would be the major difference. Those guilds are pretty cool, though.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    With no BGs yes I would. It would be the most hardcore MMO on the market if they did that.