Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: Ensuring That the Journey is Fun

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We had our team on the ground during Gamescom 2012 in Cologne, Germany to check out some of the hottest titles there. In our latest preview, we take a look at WildStar and how the team plans to make progressing through the game a blast. See what we found out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

If it all works as advertised, this is going to be a recurring theme in Wild Star. Carbine Studios apparently is intent on ensuring that the experience of migrating from level one to level cap is a fun one, a goal that kinda makes me go weak at the knees. Raids-wise, it looks like we'll be able to expect things like cannons to use against the massive end-bosses.

Read more of Cassadra Khaw's WildStar: Ensuring That the Journey is Fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    WoW killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *hides*

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Can t wait for this game. Moreso then some other unmentioned games.
  • shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Can't wait to try/play this game, looks like one of the good games around.
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    This game is looking very cool
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    I like that you can see where attacks will hit. Being able to work the mechanics is part of what makes MMORPG's fun. Until we get to the point where we can have hack and slash action in an MMORPG, I don't think unpredictable is good. I do look forward to that day though.
  • AbrexusAbrexus Member UncommonPosts: 39

Making the journey fun certainly is important, but it can also be a trap.  SWTOR had an incredible story that did make leveling fun the first time through, but that fun came to an abrupt halt for me once the story was over.  I hope some lessons were learned from that experience.

That said, to me an element that has been missing from MMO's for quite a while is the ability to mold your character into your vision of what you want him to be.  Crafting, player housing and cities, non linear paths of progression all contribute to building community which has been sorely lacking.

• Take care, young ladies, and value your wine.
    • Be watchful of young men in their velvet prime.
    • Deeply they'll swallow from your finest kegs,
    • Then swiftly be gone, leaving bitter dregs.
  • tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

I, too, am intrigued by what we are hearing about this game. 

But how many times in the past few years have we been "intrigued" by development reports, only to be disappointed come release?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    If GW2 dose not keep me entertained then this game will be my next MMO. Depending if they follow GW2 payment model I may play both.
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    It looks interesting. Its to bad it is sticking with the trinity model but I can get past that, however if they add raiding like every other mmo in the last 10 years I will be skipping it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Don't mind raiding as long as they skip the geargrind I will play. Don't mind a gear progression but no treadmill pls
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    this, archeage, this, archeage, what game to pin my hopes and dream on this time? :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    I do not care for the art style from what I've seen so far, but Carbine seems to be heading down a very fresh and innovative path with WildStar.  Keep the previews coming please.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Time will tell.
  • AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Reminds me of that movie Titan AE.  Looks very good, though.  The more sandbox features they add the more success they will garner.  Keep it up.

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by DigitalDvinn
    Reminds me of that movie Titan AE.  [ ... ]

So true. That movie was awesome even if not acclaimed.

Glad to see the reasons this is on my watch list alive and well. Gotta write that beta essay some time soon so I can enter.

(But Cassandra, you should really get a new proofreader... some horrible mistakes in there. °O ... I volunteer for that btw. Been doing it since primary school, heh.)