Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the first to encourage a friendly atmosphere?

Comments

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

I think plenty of other games have added elements of this idea, but GW2 is the only one I am aware of that made it part of the Design Philosophy of the game and it shows through in multiple aspects.

That may come from other developers not being quite as forthcoming with information as Anet however. Its hard to be sure.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Stx11

You come across as quite worked up or bitter about something.

If I've mis-interpreted your outlook I'm truly sorry.

You feel I'm "belittling" you over something?

My "last statement" in a previous post was "GW2 is a well-designed game" and you ripped me for it. I can only respond to what you actually write and not whatever thoughts or feelings you have in your head.

"GW2 is a well designed game" is an opinion.  Not a fact. If I or someone else disagrees it does not mean they have a poor outlook on gaming.

And don't turn this conversation around to make me look like the irrational one when you are the one who had a problem with my response to the OP's question.  This whole side conversation is your doing.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Gotta love it. Of course it's only BWEs we have played, but the entire time I played I had not one time seen a single curse word, a your momma joke, or anything like it. No chatter about other games and nothing negative about GW2 at all. It was a first for me in a beta not seeing any of this. I was part of the Tera beta and that was total WoW crossroads chatter. (nothing against Tera itself). Hopefully this is a more adult oriented mmorpg.

The reason you didn't see any cursing or general trolling was 2 reasons.

1. People were actually having fun and sucked into the game world, When you see people trolling chat & or being dicks it usually means they are bored and looking for kicks elsewhere than in the game world or with their character....

2. I think because this was a Pay to play beta (PrePerchase only) & no sub fee people may have been on a bit better behavior, I mean who the hell wants to get banned before the game goes live lol. Remember there is no sub fee in GW2 so people may be in the mindset , "Hey arenanet" isn't really making any extra dough after i purchase the game" . People may feel arenanet has a itchy trigger finger when it comes to perma bans.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by grimal

You come across as quite worked up or bitter about something.

If I've mis-interpreted your outlook I'm truly sorry.

You feel I'm "belittling" you over something?

My "last statement" in a previous post was "GW2 is a well-designed game" and you ripped me for it. I can only respond to what you actually write and not whatever thoughts or feelings you have in your head.

"GW2 is a well designed game" is an opinion.  Not a fact. If I or someone else disagrees it does not mean they have a poor outlook on gaming.

And don't turn this conversation around to make me look like the irrational one when you are the one who had a problem with my response to the OP's question.  This whole side conversation is your doing.

The "poor outlook on gaming" came from your expressed frustration over how SWTOR is treated on these forums. Sorry if I wasn't clearer on that.

As for "GW2 is a well-designed game" - well yes it's an opinion but it is a much more debatable one than "I like it" or "I think it's crap" don't you agree?

As I said I can give a whole list of reasons for why I am convinced that GW2 is a well-designed game. I can also provide my reasoning on why I believe that no game has combined or implemented gameplay features to encourage "friendly gameplay" in the way GW2 has.

You may disagree. That's fine. If you want to discuss it you should expect to be asked for your reasons or counter-arguments especially in a thread about it on a forum. If you don't want to discuss it why are you even posting?

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I have the game preordered but haven't actually played yet so I won't claim to know anything. I'm interested in how social the game will seem to me because I like the idea of groups just assembling on their own for DE's and stuff but I've seen a number of folks comment on various threads that they ended up in groups but no one talked or anything. So it sort of sounds social without socializing. I'm not allways Mr Chatter but I do like a bit of chat in groups, I'm interested to see how it plays out when I get in game.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Drachasor
    Originally posted by immodium

It really doesn't change the fact that in most other MMO's you have to actually be sociable to do group content. And in some cases that does lead to friendship.

In GW2 they have taken that away. You do not have to be sociable to do DE's. Is that a good or bad thing, taking away the 'little' sociable aspect to grouping entirely? Will GW2 spawn players that find it unusual in newer games to actually be sociable to form groups for certain content?

We will have to wait and see.

Yes, you are not FORCED to be sociable.

You can choose to be however.  Honestly, making friends in a game isn't that hard.  It just takes some typing.  Now, granted, it would be more awesome with some sort of intelligent voice chat interface (that overcame the obvious problems), but still, you can type and make friends with people you are running around with.

Taken from GW2 manifesto:

It’s time to make MMORPGs more social.

How? Playing Coop and being social are two seperate things. GW2 is proving that. From what I gather GW2 is as sociable as going to the shops. We are all there Coop shopping, if I want to be sociable I can be. However, anyone rarely speaks.

Hows that making MMO's more sociable?

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Well I've seen some of the "nice gw2 players" in this forum become extremely venomous and nasty in other game forums.. such as SWTOR...

So guys when you say GW2 is going to have an awesome community.... be aware that your community already has a bad element.. you don't see everyone's character when things are going well.

As the other guy said... if you guys really believe whats in this thread I would not bet in Vegas....

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Drachasor

It really doesn't change the fact that in most other MMO's you have to actually be sociable to do group content. And in some cases that does lead to friendship.

In GW2 they have taken that away. You do not have to be sociable to do DE's. Is that a good or bad thing, taking away the 'little' sociable aspect to grouping entirely? Will GW2 spawn players that find it unusual in newer games to actually be sociable to form groups for certain content?

Yes, you are not FORCED to be sociable.

You can choose to be however.  Honestly, making friends in a game isn't that hard.  It just takes some typing.  Now, granted, it would be more awesome with some sort of intelligent voice chat interface (that overcame the obvious problems), but still, you can type and make friends with people you are running around with.

Taken from GW2 manifesto:

It’s time to make MMORPGs more social.

How? Playing Coop and being social are two seperate things. GW2 is proving that. From what I gather GW2 is as sociable as going to the shops. We are all there Coop shopping, if I want to be sociable I can be. However, anyone rarely speaks.

Hows that making MMO's more sociable?

This is it pretty much,sums up lots of thing,what happened to MMOs and and is part of the answer to the ultimate question.

its an illusion and it goes like this.

1.There was a time when people were social,looking for partys they searched people by talking,maybe someone had good attitude ,nice weapon,nice name etc.

2.some devs got an idea, f*ck that ,they made lfg tool,no more talking and walking.

3.next devs said .F*ck that tool,automatic groups = social.

now theres more people around but they are not people, just same like lots of companions on SWTOR.

Let's internet

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Well I've seen some of the "nice gw2 players" in this forum become extremely venomous and nasty in other game forums.. such as SWTOR...

So guys when you say GW2 is going to have an awesome community.... be aware that your community already has a bad element.. you don't see everyone's character when things are going well.

As the other guy said... if you guys really believe whats in this thread I would not bet in Vegas....

Every game community of any noticeable size will have good and bad elements.

I'm sure certain GW2 Servers and possibly locales will develop reputations similar to Servers and locations in WoW and SWTOR just because of the number of people playing and the percentage of the community that are those WoW and SWTOR players.

At least the game itself has been designed to minimize griefing and competitive mechanics in PvE to a great degree and I expect ANet to monitor their game and community for further ways to improve things if they can.

I do know I'd much rather play a game that encourages others to Revive me than the opposite.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Thrashbarg
    How is it anti-social to want to group up?

If anything, GW2 is being more anti-social than most other MMO games being released as you don't need to be sociable to group up. Actually, you don't need to group up for the DE's.

Your understanding of grouping comes from MMOs, that's totally understandable.

What you are missing is that in GW2 you are auto-grouped with everyone around you. Instead of having to actually be in a party with everyone to help them or get credit, that all just happens by proximity. It's not that you don't need to group up, it's that you are grouped up, this concept is so foreign to the MMO mindset burned in by the last decade of clones that it's going to take many people a long time to see it for what it is (if they ever do).

Clicking "join party" killing the same mobs and never chatting is no better than GW2's system, it's just another hoop to jump through for mechanical purposes. Having your icon on the left side of my screen doesn't make us friends, or mean that we will actually talk to each other.

Instead of looking for a party to chat with, look at everyone you see as party members. Use /say instead of /party and you can chat with them all! Magic!

No, you dont' have to be sociable to do group content. Using a group/raid/dungeon finder doesn't require ANY kind of social skill, just press a button, group up, finish the instance and forget you ever played with those guys.

In GW2 I found it a lot easier to socialize. Why? Because there is no NEED to group to do content, just find some people doing what you are doing and take it from there. It is up to the player to actually start a conversation and be sociable, that's not up to the game, I've played in instances and there was no "social" communication, just a few orders from the leader and that's it, group, do, forget. In GW2 you can stay with those people longer, doing much more content with them, progression your whole character together with others.

Insta-grouping allows people to play in a group without being forced to, it is certainly up to the players themselves to start a meaningful conversation that's beyond just "tactics".

Also, Guilds have so much potential in GW2

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Kniknax

I realised recently that during my time in GW2 I had not get annoyed or pissed off by another player during PVE playtime at all (I didn't try PVP to my shame), which is (sad to say) pretty usual for me in most games. This got me to thinking about whether ArenaNet were actively trying to create a real friendly and fair environment within the game - which is probably a first.

Most if not all MMO's I have played have gameplay mechanics that allow for all sorts of annoyances - from players running in and stealing the freshly popped quest NPC, to the tank having the wrong gear for a dungeon and not telling you, to the level 80 running into town and killing all the quest NPCs, to being ganked by a guy 30 levels higher than you whilst out questing (repeatedly).

However, Guild Wars 2 has things to counter all of these - so they just dont ever happen. They have everyone getting a quest update who helped kill to the NPC, to removing the gear grind and making it skill based, to making everyone in an area the same level. In fact almost every annoyance in most MMO's seem to be countered by Guild Wars.

I can't think of another MMO that seems to do this - but I may be wrong (excluding Hello Kitty Online and Clone Wars - although I'm not so sure about Hello Kitty, it always looked a bit evil).

You might think of a good thing but it really is really bad.

Why do you not get annoyed or pissed?

1. the person won't respond back if you did show your pissyness as them.

Why won't he respond? because In GW2 nobody chats. Why does nobody chat? Because there is no need to cordinate with others! Why? its that because the DE's and heart quests are too easy.

I personally would rather have people getting mad and yelling at each other then nobody talking at all. I don't know about you but one of my favorite parts in mmo's is making new friends during the journey to the top. In GW2 I don't really see the need too.

I challenge you guys to come forth and say how many people you met in GW2 and talked with and became friends with? or just chatted with someone that you don't know.  (End of BWE events don't count)

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I realised recently that during my time in GW2 I had not get annoyed or pissed off by another player during PVE playtime at all (I didn't try PVP to my shame), which is (sad to say) pretty usual for me in most games. This got me to thinking about whether ArenaNet were actively trying to create a real friendly and fair environment within the game - which is probably a first.

Most if not all MMO's I have played have gameplay mechanics that allow for all sorts of annoyances - from players running in and stealing the freshly popped quest NPC, to the tank having the wrong gear for a dungeon and not telling you, to the level 80 running into town and killing all the quest NPCs, to being ganked by a guy 30 levels higher than you whilst out questing (repeatedly).

However, Guild Wars 2 has things to counter all of these - so they just dont ever happen. They have everyone getting a quest update who helped kill to the NPC, to removing the gear grind and making it skill based, to making everyone in an area the same level. In fact almost every annoyance in most MMO's seem to be countered by Guild Wars.

I can't think of another MMO that seems to do this - but I may be wrong (excluding Hello Kitty Online and Clone Wars - although I'm not so sure about Hello Kitty, it always looked a bit evil).

Now you're getting a taste how MMO's were before you came to the genre with WoW. WoW ruined all of that when it came out, not to say it didn't bring any good things or that it isn't a good game, it just took away the good community we used to have.

To answer your question though, UO, DAoC, AC, AO, EQ, Shadowbane, SWG, FFIX, Saga of Ryzom, and CoX off the top of my head. Pretty much most, if not all, games that came out before WoW.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Xirik

Why won't he respond? because In GW2 nobody chats. Why does nobody chat? Because there is no need to cordinate with others! Why? its that because the DE's and heart quests are too easy.

I personally would rather have people getting mad and yelling at each other then nobody talking at all. I don't know about you but one of my favorite parts in mmo's is making new friends during the journey to the top. In GW2 I don't really see the need too.

I challenge you guys to come forth and say how many people you met in GW2 and talked with and became friends with? or just chatted with someone that you don't know.  (End of BWE events don't count)

This is just false.... There is a lot of chat going on and lots of coordination for the higher difficulty DEs. What you are probably missing is that the game has only DEs and they aren't supposed to be like the group content in other games, they are "easy" for a reason, because if all DEs were "hard" some people wouldn't be able to finish even one of them. Don't compare all DEs with group content in other MMORPGs, there are the harder DEs you can easily compare them to.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think the open/friendly non-compete nature of GW2 PvE is going to make it a very friendly and community driven experience... but a quiet one in public as people will really only spend time talking to other people if they are in their own guild chat.

I forsee general chats being a bit more ghostly than other MMOs.

You simply don't need to communicate as much to be effective in open world content - positive or negative?

But each server is likely to be different.

2 words for you... Barrens Chat

General chat isn't going anywhere. ;)

I can just wait for the latest iteration of the Murlock game... "Kraits on a plane", anyone?

Originally posted by seridan

No, you dont' have to be sociable to do group content. Using a group/raid/dungeon finder doesn't require ANY kind of social skill, just press a button, group up, finish the instance and forget you ever played with those guys.

In GW2 I found it a lot easier to socialize. Why? Because there is no NEED to group to do content, just find some people doing what you are doing and take it from there. It is up to the player to actually start a conversation and be sociable, that's not up to the game, I've played in instances and there was no "social" communication, just a few orders from the leader and that's it, group, do, forget. In GW2 you can stay with those people longer, doing much more content with them, progression your whole character together with others.

Insta-grouping allows people to play in a group without being forced to, it is certainly up to the players themselves to start a meaningful conversation that's beyond just "tactics".

Also, Guilds have so much potential in GW2

TBH, I have never played a game with a group/dungeon/raid finder, and I probably wouldn't use one.

Everything mentioned in your second paragraph can be done in most other MMO's if your sociable. I agree it's upto the player to be sociable not the developers. So why does ANET state they are making a more social MMO? They are not. They are making a more Cooperative MMO, but not social.

IMO what ANET is doing with automatic grouping is a step backwards in encouraging gamers to be sociable. They have made it even easier than using a dungeon/group/raid finder to group up.

It's not ANET's fault its how MMO's have to go as most gamers don't like to be sociable. GW2 is going in the same direction, catering for the anti-social solo'er.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think that Anet definately tried to create a friendly atmosphere, but I also worry that we're going to see alot of "WoW runs sooooo much better on my system, this game is poorly optimized" or "TERA's combat is superior to this, I'm only here because my buddy plays, QQ" or "doesn't this game have any puzzles that you have to use google to figure out?"

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Xirik

This is just false.... There is a lot of chat going on and lots of coordination for the higher difficulty DEs. What you are probably missing is that the game has only DEs and they aren't supposed to be like the group content in other games, they are "easy" for a reason, because if all DEs were "hard" some people wouldn't be able to finish even one of them. Don't compare all DEs with group content in other MMORPGs, there are the harder DEs you can easily compare them to.

There are higher difficult DE's? They were all the same to me. Easy. No cordination.

Guess I just made your whole point false.image

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm not surprised at the grumbling in this thread, but unfortunately the people doing it don't quite understand something incredibly simple...... the people on these forums that don't like GW2 or its fans probably aren't going to be playing, thus - why would people not get along, especially for some stupid reasons I've seen here like "if you don't say GW2 is the best game ever"?

Seriously... if you are the type who complains about the "hype" or the "bad community" or the concept that "It's just Rifts with a different name", then you'll be playing something else, you won't be trolling the community unless you like spending $60 just to be an idiot.  There won't be these stupid forum arguments about how so and so game is better, people will be playing the game, not arguing.  The forum PvP will stay here.  As much as it pisses some of you off, people will be having fun for once.  Get over it and stop equating the GW2 community in-game with forumers you've had arguments with.  The same type of crap won't be happening there.

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

IMO what ANET is doing with automatic grouping is a step backwards in encouraging gamers to be sociable. They have made it even easier than using a dungeon/group/raid finder to group up.

It's not ANET's fault its how MMO's have to go as most gamers don't like to be sociable. GW2 is going in the same direction, catering for the anti-social solo'er.

I don't feel that they are catering to anyone in particular. They are providing every type of player with the tools for them to enjoy the game as they see fit, be it through constant socialization or silent hermitude. They did the unspeakable - they stopped forcing people to conform to some rigid definition of how you should play and let it be up to the player.

If people want to be socialable they have the means to do it. If they don't want to talk, they have the means to do it. No one is excluded, everyone wins. Well that isn't true. If someone is the type that likes to force others to play the way they want, they might have some concerns. But I don't think they are the target audience of GW2.

How can you ever have a genuinely friendly atmosphere when so many people are only being friendly because the game forces them to to experience the game? Friendliness has to be a choice, not a mandate.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

The "poor outlook on gaming" came from your expressed frustration over how SWTOR is treated on these forums. Sorry if I wasn't clearer on that.

As for "GW2 is a well-designed game" - well yes it's an opinion but it is a much more debatable one than "I like it" or "I think it's crap" don't you agree?

As I said I can give a whole list of reasons for why I am convinced that GW2 is a well-designed game. I can also provide my reasoning on why I believe that no game has combined or implemented gameplay features to encourage "friendly gameplay" in the way GW2 has.

You may disagree. That's fine. If you want to discuss it you should expect to be asked for your reasons or counter-arguments especially in a thread about it on a forum. If you don't want to discuss it why are you even posting?

Wow, ok. I have gone far enough in this OT digression.  First, I responded to OP's grandiose question.  I provided my reasons.  You chimed in, basically calling me a hater because of my voiced irritation at the arrogance of the title of the post itself.  I've gone enough back and forth with you.  I did my bit.  You keep trying to drag this on and on but I am not going to do it.   I've posted my reasons for my thoughts.  If you want to label me a "hater" or "bitter" b/c I am determined to hold out judgement on GW2 until I, myself, have played longer than a few BWE events, fine.  Just like I don't call a movie great based on trailers alone, I don't consider a few weekends of play the entire game.

If you want to start a new thread outlining your reasons why GW2 does what it does leaps and bounds beyond others, go ahead.  Maybe I'll respond, maybe not.  But this is not the thread to do it in.

P.S. OP - Sorry for the OT posts.

Originally posted by Grunties
    I don't feel that they are catering to anyone in particular. They are providing every type of player with the tools for them to enjoy the game as they see fit, be it through constant socialization or silent hermitude. They did the unspeakable - they stopped forcing people to conform to some rigid definition of how you should play and let it be up to the player.

If people want to be socialable they have the means to do it. If they don't want to talk, they have the means to do it. No one is excluded, everyone wins. Well that isn't true. If someone is the type that likes to force others to play the way they want, they might have some concerns. But I don't think they are the target audience of GW2.

How can you ever have a genuinely friendly atmosphere when so many people are only being friendly because the game forces them to to experience the game? Friendliness has to be a choice, not a mandate.

So in conclusion GW2 is being no more sociable than any other MMO? :)

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

In conclusion the game leaves it in the hands of the players to decide it. It does not dictate it for anyone. But that doesn't mean its cooperation friendly designs dont encourage it. My personal experience is that more players have chosen to be friendly than not, if the sheer number of players going out of their way to rez me is any indication. And because no one is forced to do it like other games have, I feel its more genuine. Which makes it more valuable socially than other MMO's.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

FXI-XIV CoH, WoW pre dungeon finder. EVE,

Don't be so down cause GW2 isn't the best "Social game"  It has other good features that make of for it. (we will see if that holds true in a year anyway.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think the open/friendly non-compete nature of GW2 PvE is going to make it a very friendly and community driven experience... but a quiet one in public as people will really only spend time talking to other people if they are in their own guild chat.

I forsee general chats being a bit more ghostly than other MMOs.

You simply don't need to communicate as much to be effective in open world content - positive or negative?

But each server is likely to be different.

well in PvE it was kinda like that, but in WvW it was totally different ..!

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

I actually wasted my time reviving people ...

/Shivers