Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people still play Ultima Online?

I'm not sure if there's already another thread about this, I know that UO was one of the first if the not, the first successful MMO game but I want to know if a good amount of people still play this.

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Stratics has the forums with what community remains.   Personally, I've lost contact with all my old aquaintances, so I have no first-hand information any more about how healthy it is.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    I think people still do play. No more than a year ago I left a message on one of their forums to confirm something I had forgotern. Had a few replies the same day, good communities do not die it seems.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Lots of people still play. The General section over at Stratics is just as active as MMORPG.com's forums. 

The only "dead" server (official one) IMO is Siege Perilous, but only because it keeps most of the old ruleset before Felucca (destroying non-consensual PvP) was added.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yeah, I just stopped playing again, just can't get into the new stuff that they have changed over the years....Don't like the new skills/combos...

They were toying with an official classic server, but they didn't do it.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Xthos

Yeah, I just stopped playing again, just can't get into the new stuff that they have changed over the years....Don't like the new skills/combos...

I would love a classic type server with the new client and GUI, unfortunately its either one or the other for the most part. Modern MMOs just have me spoiled as to certain features like auto looting and non-repetitive tasking (not manually doing 5000 mouseclicks a minute).

OP, you're better off playing an official server with the newer, enhanced client for that reason alone

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    For the most part the game is only played by the hard core fans.  It is so dated that it would be hard for somene to jump back into it and enjoy it. [mod edit]  But for the most part UO is done. 
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Grixxitt
    Originally posted by Xthos

I would love a classic type server with the new client and GUI, unfortunately its either one or the other for the most part. Modern MMOs just have me spoiled as to certain features like auto looting and non-repetitive tasking (not manually doing 5000 mouseclicks a minute).

OP, you're better off playing an official server with the newer, enhanced client for that reason alone

I am kinda the opposite, I dislike the new client/GUI, I think it looks hazy/fuzy or something and odd...I prefer the old 2d client myself.  I have gone back a few different times, but it is just further and further away from what it was now....Tried alternate ways to play, but the worlds seemed too dead.

If they came out with a UO2 in 2d, that used the same style and world content of classic UO, I would be all over it, and I can't imagine it would be super expensive to make.  I just don't think EA has any interest in doing it, think they are worried they would destroy the old and the new may flop.  I doubt they could make a UO2 though, and not make it like what they have done with UO.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I was all excited to play it about a year ago. I could really get into an old 2D looking down game ( after all I'm old and thats how games were made) I had no problems with that.  I downloaded the demo and it was totally terrible.

Could not find a good resolution to fit the screen.

UI was very very old and nasty.

Drop down boxes opened and filled your screen, could not move anything around.

And the lest went on and on..........It was just nasty, even for an old game.  I can't remember how much a month, but I remember it was ridiculous for such a nasty old mmo that you could tell they never fixed a thing to make it desirable.

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    They are comin out with another UO...Its called Ultima Forever....So UO is not really done yet
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
    I have severe doubts about Ultima Forever, if you do some googling I am sure that will highlight some of the issues.
    I dont know if the New Ultima Forever will do much...But it is a new UO...Who knows mabye it will be decent...Im sure it wont win no #1s or anything...
  • jackie28jackie28 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Ultima Forever is a reboot of Ultima 4 on the iPad.  ( Get it?  Ultima Four-ever? )

I applied for the beta but am yet to receive an invite or see a screenshot.

I believe it will be a multiplayer Ultima 4, which will be extremely niche and lend itself mainly to tablet play.  They have no plans to immediately release it for the PC.  Might be something fun to do while you're on a road trip, or blowing 2 hours waiting on something, or don't have access to a PC, etc.

As for Ultima Online, I installed the client yesterday and tooled around Britain for a bit.  I don't see myself investing any great amount of time in this game.  It's well past due to go F2P.  One of my biggest gripes is that you pretty much need to play the game in a res lower than what your monitor supports now just to see the tiny items in your inventory.  A gold coin is like 3 pixels wide.  That and as another poster noted, no one that I know who enjoyed this game back in the day currently plays.  The play space is too large and the playerbase too small to create the necessary player to player contact to make this go.  Back in its heyday you could go just about anywhere and encounter players, but nowadays I'm lucky to see 4 people outside of Britain bank.  The introduction of Luna probably killed Britain as an economic center and then contributed to the sense that the game is going downhill IMO.  Anyway, I played this game from 1997 to about 2004, and enjoyed it immensely, but EA pretty much let this thing go to ****.  We should have seen a new 2D client with larger, better detailed sprites, revamped item artwork and a modernized UI by now.

Originally posted by jackie28

Ultima Forever is a reboot of Ultima 4 on the iPad.  ( Get it?  Ultima Four-ever? )

I believe it will be a multiplayer Ultima 4, which will be extremely niche and lend itself mainly to tablet play.  They have no plans to immediately release it for the PC.  Might be something fun to do while you're on a road trip, or blowing 2 hours waiting on something, or don't have access to a PC, etc.

ummm...no immediate plans for pc???

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-12-ea-bioware-announces-ultima-forever

They have plans for pc....you need a better place for information bro

UO started goin downhill when trammel came out....it finally fell off the cliff when paladins and necros came into play
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Quizar1973
    UO started goin downhill when trammel came out....it finally fell off the cliff when paladins and necros came into play

Ah, the classics ... vi vs emacs, star wars vs star trek, Felucca vs Trammel.

"Ultima Forever is a reboot of Ultima 4 on the iPad. ( Get it? Ultima Four-ever? ) I applied for the beta but am yet to receive an invite or see a screenshot.I believe it will be a multiplayer Ultima 4, which will be extremely niche and lend itself mainly to tablet play. They have no plans to immediately release it for the PC."

This is the easymode future of MMO gaming, play your PC MMO's while they still exist.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-12-ea-bioware-announces-ultima-forever

It's coming out on the iPad first.  The silence you hear is a gigantic *shrugs*

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

For some reason UO still gained almost 100% more subscriptions after Trammel was introduced. Doesn't sound like downhill to me...

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
          Some people didn't like it when Trammell was introduced so they label that as when the game declined (though that is totally untrue).....
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Theocritus
          Some people didn't like it when Trammell was introduced so they label that as when the game declined (though that is totally untrue).....

You mean gankers? Since they are the only ones who actually lost something when Trammel was introduced. Namely the easy prey.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by tom_gore

For some reason UO still gained almost 100% more subscriptions after Trammel was introduced. Doesn't sound like downhill to me...

It gained 100-150% more subscriptions over the course of several years, with several updates, at a time when there was a massive increase in the number of gamers coming onto the online market. So it is certainly not so clear cut.

You could double the number of players in EVE by removing FFA pvp, removing all death penalties,  making it grindable in a week and dumbing down all the economic and crafting systems. Yet regardless of the increase in players, that would be the game going downhill.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

It's coming out on the iPad first.  The silence you hear is a gigantic *shrugs*

Ummm Where does it say its comin out on Ipad first???  All I see is PC and Ipad...

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Ummm Where does it say its comin out on Ipad first???  All I see is PC and Ipad...

"To begin, it will be an iPad game. It will eventually move to other platforms (though Flack couldn't say yet how soon that will happen), but at first it'll be specifically a tablet-based title."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/23/bioware-aims-to-reinvent-ultima-with-ultima-forever/