Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel the same way?

SordalSordal Member Posts: 23

I started playing guild wars at release, and it goes down for me personally as one of my favorite games of all time, and I've kept track of guild wars 2 ever since it was first annouced in PC Gamer. Ive Played in the Beta weekends and I have immensley enjoyed myself, but theres one thing that just driving me insane, and thats the community thats been building up around the game since the hype has been building up. For the last month I've been playing Tera and all day in LFG chat theres people just saying the GW2 will be the end all be all of MMO's and in general just stating lots of 'facts' about GW2 that arent true. I've tried to not let it phase me but it has reached the tipping point when im in Counter Strike GO where there is absolutely no correlation between it and GW2 and people are still saying things like "GW2 is such a better game than this". Ironically all these people are probably going to be the ones bitching on the GW2 forums a week after release.

To make it short, I'm sorta scared that a portion of the community will just make this game less enjoyable with the additude and rediculously high epectiations that they have.

Comments

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    They're just too excited
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

You're absolutely right, we are terrible.  Our sole goal in life is to ruin GW2 for every sane person with our horribleness.  We plan on infiltrating every non-GW2 game just to constantly badger people about how much better GW2 is.

Even non video games.  We plan on basically crashing chess tournaments, high school football games...and maybe even your living room while you are playing your Friday night game of Poker with your buddies.  And in each case, we will tell you how inferior your crappy game is to GW2.

...On a more serious note, don't let one or two annoying people scare you off from a good thing.  And definitely don't stereotype an entire community based on them ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• PilutPilut Member Posts: 47
    There will always be fanboys, unfortunately. That's why the ignore list was invented.
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Creslin321

You're absolutely right, we are terrible.  Our sole goal in life is to ruin GW2 for every sane person with our horribleness.  We plan on infiltrating every non-GW2 game just to constantly badger people about how much better GW2 is.

Even non video games.  We plan on basically crashing chess tournaments, high school football games...and maybe even your living room while you are playing your Friday night game of Poker with your buddies.  And in each case, we will tell you how inferior your crappy game is to GW2.

...On a more serious note, don't let one or two annoying people scare you off from a good thing.  And definitely don't stereotype an entire community based on them ;).

/thread

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

The rocks people have been hiding under during every major mmorpg release since World of Warcraft must be incredibly spacious.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It happes with every huge game. Hopefully all of them will be sent to the same server.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

The moment this games launches, I'll avoid every forum/mmo website I can for at least a month. For my sanity's sake.

Might even turn off map chat ingame if people get too annoying. Call me antisocial, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Those same people you are speaking of OP will fill this thread with ideas of how to avoid, not knowing it's them.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

They'll all be too busy playing GW2 in a couple of weeks and should leave the rest of us alone in our other games.

All 3 of us anyways.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I very much agree with you, OP. There might be threads about how awesome GW2 is and how friendly the community will be but for me its community definitely will be one of its biggest weaknesses. Being excited and wanting the game you have interest in to succeed is ok but some of the warmongering certain fans have kept going on here for many months now definitely crossed limits.

There has been such a lack of respect for people with different opinions that for the first time ever I preferred even the silliest and most obvious troll post over the same fan yadda yadda over and over again. I did pre-purchase and will give this game a go but given that I as a RP have a healthy community spirit on the top of my requirements to have fun in a game I wouldn't be surprised if those GW2 preachers will annoy me enough to rather play any other game instead.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Saydien

I very much agree with you, OP. There might be threads about how awesome GW2 is and how friendly the community will be but for me its community definitely will be one of its biggest weaknesses. Being excited and wanting the game you have interest in to succeed is ok but some of the warmongering certain fans have kept going on here for many months now definitely crossed limits.

There has been such a lack of respect for people with different opinions that for the first time ever I preferred even the silliest and most obvious troll post over the same fan yadda yadda over and over again. I did pre-purchase and will give this game a go but given that I as a RP have a healthy community spirit on the top of my requirements to have fun in a game I wouldn't be surprised if those GW2 preachers will annoy me enough to rather play any other game instead.

Trolls 1 Fanboys 0

If you seriously let a fringe group, troll or fanboy , dictate if you play a game or not ... then I just don't know what to say about that. I'd like to reply with something witty, yet enlightening ... but I have never been in the position to let the minority decide if I enjoy something for me.

/shrug

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

It's prelaunch of a massively anticipated game.

It'll cool down after launch.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Sordal

I started playing guild wars at release, and it goes down for me personally as one of my favorite games of all time, and I've kept track of guild wars 2 ever since it was first annouced in PC Gamer. Ive Played in the Beta weekends and I have immensley enjoyed myself, but theres one thing that just driving me insane, and thats the community thats been building up around the game since the hype has been building up. For the last month I've been playing Tera and all day in LFG chat theres people just saying the GW2 will be the end all be all of MMO's and in general just stating lots of 'facts' about GW2 that arent true. I've tried to not let it phase me but it has reached the tipping point when im in Counter Strike GO where there is absolutely no correlation between it and GW2 and people are still saying things like "GW2 is such a better game than this". Ironically all these people are probably going to be the ones bitching on the GW2 forums a week after release.

To make it short, I'm sorta scared that a portion of the community will just make this game less enjoyable with the additude and rediculously high epectiations that they have.

Hang on, hang on... I found the problem.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I played GW for several years and enjoyed it alot. Great game for my introduction into the MMO genre.

I played in all 3 BWE for GW2 and I love the game. I thought there was going to be some huge differences that I would dislike, but I have to admit, I love the way the game plays out.  After playing in the BWE's I am finding it hard to play any other game.  I now compare things to GW2 and they fall short. 

Is GW2 the greatest game possible? No.

Is it the greatest game currently? IMO yes.

Am I overhyped about it? No.  I've played it and I know what I am getting in to. 

Is it wrong for other people to feel the same way as me? No.

So do people have a knee-jerk reaction to seeing how many people are excited about this game, and think it's overhyped? YES

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Sordal

Hang on, hang on... I found the problem.

Doesn't matter, don't you know that all GW2 fans have subscriptions to Tera.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Another thing...even if the entire GW2 community is guilty of the horrible crime of voicing their opinion that GW2 is better that game X...then I still don't see how this is so horrible.

If you want a bad community...look at HoN.  THAT community is HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE.  Yes, there are some decent people there, but by and large...HORRIBLE.

In a typical game of HoN there will be...

1.  Tons of vulgarity.

2.  Insults thrown at team-mates more often than enemies.

3.  Racism and sexism.

4.  Rage quits which pretty much doom the team to failure.

And this is all in a 45 minute time-span.  THAT my friend, is a bad community.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    GW2 is sooo much better than this thread ;)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

I disagree with you OP. The hype is justified. What you have to remember is MOST of the people hyping the game have been in the Beta's and/or  stress tests and are baising there opinion on what they have expieranced. I think your post would be justified if this was say a year ago where people were baising there claims off "dev interview vids" and "Gameplay video". The point  I'm making is unlike most other MMO's that were in Beta the feedback from GW 2 is overwhelmingly postive, Unlike Swtor....

I had no interest in GW 2 about 2  months ago, Hadn't really followed the game or knew much about. What I did know is Guildwars 1 did not amaze me (At the time I was very into WOW). I was playing Tera and chat was blowing up with a ton of people raving about GW2 , I figured it was just more LFD Troll spam. When they starting mentioning "Can't wait for the next Beta weekend " I started to think maybe they were legit and not just trolling. So i started researching the game, Evrything about GW 2 sounded intersting & different. Finally i caved in & preperchased, I got my first taste of Tyria in stress test 1 and was blown away. Fanboy, Hypetrain whatever you want to call it I'm all in. 

The point I'm making is I think Guildwars 2 has done everything right with this game and people who have actually PLAYED/TESTED it reconize this . They have found a way to make a themepark that still gives you that sense of wonderment & freedom that vanilla WOW offered and sucked so many people in with. 

Now will people come back & flame this game a month or two down the road ? YES, of course they will but  not because the game sucks or is lacking in any way. They will flame because the game is so good, and so many people are sucked in the same way wow has been blasted for years by people who hated the game because it was so succeful. 

Personally i could care less how many people want to write negative reviews or bash the game down the road, the only thing thats matters to me is that I AM having fun, and the same should apply to you.

God dam i wrote alot, I can't believe I had that much to say about a video game lol. 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Well at least when we aren't busy trying to destroy what remains of SWTOR.

*pulls out chair and whip*

Back to the SWTOR forums with you. BACK I SAY!! image

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Kawi1Kawi1 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Here's the thing OP: you can either give into the hype that peeps are selling that it's the second coming, say the hype is overblown and the game is gonna crash and burn or...check out the numerous videos, articles, blogs and just your own basic intuition...to make a decision about whether you're gonna like the game or not. Personally, I'd go with the later. Then again, I loved GW1 and therefore I'm a little biased in saying this, but I'm going to love GW2. However, I'm not about to cram my way of thinking down peeps throat. I have opinions...sure...and I likewise listen to the OP of others. Still, I sat down...did my homework (vids, articles, blogs, etc...) and made up my mind. My Mind.

The community is what we make it. There's gonna be QQers, fanbois, followers and haters but that's something we all have to wade through. Pick a server...see how that goes. Change servers...see how that goes. Don't let others either tell you what's what or what's not...find out yourself. Take in all the info you can...and make up YOUR mind. Then, and perhaps most importantly, own your decision because once it's made...what you choose is yours...good or bad...and there's no one else to blame.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

This community isn't horrible, but it is obnoxious. Of the pre-launch communities that I've followed (15 years worth) this has been the worst so far in terms of fanboyism and blatant disregard and outright hostility for dissenting opinion, no matter how logically and soundly that opinion was presented... and I participated in the TOR community prior to release.

On the flip side, it's also been the target of the most trolling that I've seen, so maybe the one begets the other or vice versa.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by rygard49

This community isn't horrible, but it is obnoxious. Of the pre-launch communities that I've followed (15 years worth) this has been the worst so far in terms of fanboyism and blatant disregard and outright hostility for dissenting opinion, no matter how logically and soundly that opinion was presented... and I participated in the TOR community prior to release.

On the flip side, it's also been the target of the most trolling that I've seen, so maybe the one begets the other or vice versa.

please direct me to those threads

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Case in point..

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I'm happy to go through and look them up for you, but please tell me you're not insinuating that there have ZERO legitimate threads with dissenting opinions on various features of the game. Cash shop threads, WvW threads, Heart Quest threads... Are you implying that no one who disliked those certain features had a logical or sound opinion?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Case in point..

just pointing out he is making a claim about logically presented arguments against the game as I have yet to see maybe a small handfull in months out of this sea of crap everyday.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg