Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the first to encourage a friendly atmosphere?

Comments

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by grimal

Absolutely not.  These "is GW2 the first to do this" thing threads are grasping at strars and really adding to the over-hype nonsense.

Some examples to backup my claim of NO:

1) UO removed open PK to make the environment less hostile

2) Later MMOs removed ability to kill steal, thus less hostile environments.

3) Vanguard encourage people to Harvest together as it would produce items for all parties.

4) WAR introduced PGs to give a community type quest system

5) SWG relied a lot on community-driven events such as elections, towns building, etc.

6) SWTOR rewarded groups via social points.

7) There are other MMOs that actually increase the EXP given by the larger the group size.

So, a resounding NO.  Also, remember, whatever community you experienced was during BETA and most MMOs at beta have awesome communites. Usually at launch it nosedives.

Hmm...

It is unquestionably true that GW2 is far from the first game to implement features to encourage a good community, but it can be argued that it has never been done better, more thoroughly, or as holistically as it is being done in GW2.

Does it truly bother you that GW2 happens to be a well-designed game with a lot of mechanics and features implemented to facilitate certain types of emergent gameplay?

It's fine if you don't like the game, or their choices, but why so much hate towards people who appreciate them?

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Stx11
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by Jagarid

Just curious, but did you actually take the time to talk to people before you invited them to group?

90% of the group invites I get from people (in any MMO) are blind invites, without a single word spoken to me.   No way I will ever accept one.   I don't particularly care to share a "social" experience with someone who isn't even social enough to communicate with actual words when requesting to hangout with me, you know? 

Yes, I did. Rarely received a response, but when I did people said that they were just trying to get through them as they had done them before. It was my first time, but I could tell that others were possibly just going through the motions to get out of the starting area. Like I said, I rarely play any game where people want to group at low levels as, lets face it... shit is usually easy. I just wanted  a group because I was an elementalist and thought a melee folk could help out. 

I'm not trying to trash the game, like I said, I just didn't find it as "friendly" as some of you are making it out. Honestly, the most friendly game I've played lately, even at low levels has been champions online..lol.

Just a thought, but people do play differently in a BWE than they do when the game is live. I had little interest in joining a guild or grouping with others during my limited weekend playtime so I could focus on completing the goals I'd set for myself (like testing Professions, or gathering to test out crafting). But when the game is "live" and I'm playing on a Server I plan to be my long-term home with people I hope to be my long-term community my goals change as will how I react to group invites.

I agree with you here. Most people seemed to just be rushing around and like I said, it was my first, but there had been many before, so I'm sure that a lot of people had done the stuff before. I am a bit of a social butterfly when I play these games. I love to talk, love to group and play with others... else, I'd just play something like Skyrim..lol. 

Overall, I did have a shitton of fun in beta, even alone and can't wait to log in this weekend. Like you said, I'm sure once it's live and all the new folks are in, I'll have no issues grouping and talking it up!

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

That has got to be the WORST response I can think of.

I know right? 

He could have played that conversation in so Many ways but that has got to be one of the most fucking idiotic responses he could have come up with. More people like him in the game and this will be a new WoW 2.0 community started at circa 2012.

FYI, GW2 isnt the "first" to be doing shared credits on kills. Im no mmo "veteran" that some people like to tout like a resume over such forums but Lotro has aspects of shared kills with players who arent grouped up in the pvmp metagame. On the creep side this almost translates to leveling up on xp on other people's killtags as long as you contribute on killing the player to some degree.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    There will allways be rude and obnoxious players in any online game but at least gw2 has removed a few elements that cause anti-social or aggressive behaviour which can only be seen as a step in the right direction.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by everland

Originally posted by sojobo69

Originally posted by Xiaoki Judging by this forum: NO. GW2 only encourages a friendly atmosphere when everyone agrees that GW2 is perfect in every way.
    ^^^^ this 100% the second someone says anything neg in chat watch the chat fire up....

People play the game because they like it.

If I was playing a race game at arcade, having fun with my friends, and suddenly some guy would stand next to us and talk "what a c**p game, why you play it, it sucks", we would just think "what a jerk, why did he even come here?", and then just kick him out of the arcade. Unfortunately, in mmo's you can't do that, no wonder people get angry.

I go to arcade to play games, not criticize, or discuss about them. I login to mmo to play it, not criticize it or discuss about it, forums like this one are for that.

"and then just kick him out of the arcade"

So, someone doesnt like the game you like so you respond with physical violence? Really?!

And actually think you are justified in this? That has got to be the WORST response I can think of.

Is this the GW2 community?

This site in no way represents the GW2 community.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Does it truly bother you that GW2 happens to be a well-designed game with a lot of mechanics and features implemented to facilitate certain types of emergent gameplay?

It's fine if you don't like the game, or their choices, but why so much hate towards people who appreciate them?

????  So let me get this straight....the OP makes a lofty claim, I counter it with evidence and suddenly I am a hater?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    pretty much.. I cant think of another game that promotes friendliness as much, well now Rift is going against their original Aion style factions to mirror GW2s working together mentality, but I think that means they might be second =P

Originally posted by Siphaed

You have not been into the arse-hole dungeon, have you?  This is the WvWvW dungeon located underneath the Eternal Battlegrounds.   Besides being able to stop the other servers from progression by deploying annoying traps that can stop and even kill them.  Well, you can you said traps against your allies as well.   This means that essentially you can kill other people on your server.

Many times during BWE#3, I killed dozens of people on my server as well as people from other servers just by setting the traps on them as they ran through specific areas.  I also had this done to me over and over again by allies and enemies alike.   Worse yet is when an enemy "acts" like an ally allowing you to get to a certain point, only to use a knockback to throw you off a cliff and kill you by way of fall damage.

Honestly that sounds like more good design to me!

WvW is "the place" for ganking/griefing and that dungeon is "the place" to take that behavior to the extremes.

I'd much rather have a place like that in game for the people who enjoy that to go and have their fun than for them to try to find it "out in the world" where such behavior isn't necessarily consentual.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would rather cal lit a SAFE design ,but not a friendly one.

You create friendships MUCH better in grouping games that have you ASK others to group.This auto grouping design for events does nothign to create friends.It is just each player acting on their own.

Also anyone that knows the work and effort it took to get content done in a group in FFXI remembers how great friendships were created.It did not matter if in a guild or not,you needed something done,you asked others and soon gained new friends.

I remember gaining friends just helping people get their AF gear,ther really is a big difference in what type of game creates friends.You spend an entire day helping someone,they are extremely gratious and it gives ones self a good feeling as well.GW2 is more designed to be selfish,i move from event to event and try to do the MOST damage i can to get the most rewards.That does nothing to promote friendships.

Just because A-Net or ANy developer says they are doing something ,does not make it fact,they will always 100% of the time be in marketing mode.People need to use game experiences and think for themselves.

The part of GW2 that i call SAFE and does promote some friendly atmosphere is by removing loot arguments.We all remember seeing a great loot item drop and everyone starts arguing over who gets it.HOWEVER IF peopel are trying to be friendly,you set it all up BEFORE hand,you don't just random fight then argue afterwards.There was still problems with that design as well, a leader would grab the loot and disband group,or everyone would  GREED but one ass hat would NEED.

However even with thoe flaws i mention,the GW2 design is selfish,you are not helping anyone in events but yourself.FFXI actually TRIED to design a MUCH better system in their Campaigns.They tried to use a complete EFFORT idea for rewards.That meant you could buff others and still get the same reward as someone doing most damage,so it DID encourage friendlier game play.The problem was players soon found ways to exploit that and ruined it for everyone.

This point was to show that even if a developer tries to help promote friendly game play,players often are more selfish than friendly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

????  So let me get this straight....the OP makes a lofty claim, I counter it with evidence and suddenly I am a hater?

Your points were fine. However:

"These "is GW2 the first to do this" threads are grasping at straws and really adding to the over-hype nonsense."

certainly colors your post in a certain light, no?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Even though GW2 encourages a very friendly atmosphere in game...it ironically encourages a horribly unfriendly atmosphere on the forums :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Double post sorry.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Wizardry

You create friendships MUCH better in grouping games that have you ASK others to group.This auto grouping design for events does nothign to create friends.It is just each player acting on their own.

Also anyone that knows the work and effort it took to get content done in a group in FFXI remembers how great friendships were created.It did not matter if in a guild or not,you needed something done,you asked others and soon gained new friends.

I remember gaining friends just helping people get their AF gear,ther really is a big difference in what type of game creates friends.You spend an entire day helping someone,they are extremely gratious and it gives ones self a good feeling as well.GW2 is more designed to be selfish,i move from event to event and try to do the MOST damage i can to get the most rewards.That does nothing to promote friendships.

Just because A-Net or ANy developer says they are doing something ,does not make it fact,they will always 100% of the time be in marketing mode.People need to use game experiences and think for themselves.

The part of GW2 that i call SAFE and does promote some friendly atmosphere is by removing loot arguments.We all remember seeing a great loot item drop and everyone starts arguing over who gets it.HOWEVER IF peopel are trying to be friendly,you set it all up BEFORE hand,you don't just random fight then argue afterwards.There was still problems with that design as well, a leader would grab the loot and disband group,or everyone would  GREED but one ass hat would NEED.

However even with thoe flaws i mention,the GW2 design is selfish,you are not helping anyone in events but yourself.FFXI actually TRIED to design a MUCH better system in their Campaigns.They tried to use a complete EFFORT idea for rewards.That meant you could buff others and still get the same reward as someone doing most damage,so it DID encourage friendlier game play.The problem was players soon found ways to exploit that and ruined it for everyone.

This point was to show that even if a developer tries to help promote friendly game play,players often are more selfish than friendly.

Great post. Couldn't of put it better myself.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

"These "is GW2 the first to do this" threads are grasping at straws and really adding to the over-hype nonsense."

Nope it does not,seems you can't handle anyone having an opinion you don't agree with.Oh,and before you say it,nope i don't hate GW2.As a matter of fact i'm one of the main supporters of this game and have been for years,even attending GamesCom three years in a row which helped me get into the main beta so i'm far from a hater.

Fact is that he has a point,their are far to many "is gw2 the first" threads.

I would rather cal lit a SAFE design ,but not a friendly one...

You create friendships MUCH better in grouping games that have you ASK others to group.This auto grouping design for events does nothign to create friends.It is just each player acting on their own...

Minor semantic point - I think there's a difference between "friendly" and "designed to create friendships" but other than that to some extent I agree with you.

FFXI definitely had a lot of game elements that encouraged grouping and shared gameplay that could lead to great in-game friendship opportunities.

I do think that ANet has done a great job at designing a game that encourages people to play "with" each other rather than "against" each other without "forced grouping" which definitely was an issue in FFXI if you started playing later in the game's lifecycle.

I also think you might find something closer to the "FFXI Experience" in GW2's Dungeons. Challenges and opportunities for Teamwork abound.

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Nope it does not,seems you can't handle anyone having an opinion you don't agree with.Oh,and before you say it,nope i don't hate GW2.As a matter of fact i'm one of the main supporters of this game and have been for years,even attending GamesCom three years in a row which helped me get into the main beta so i'm far from a hater.

Irony much?

Irony much?

Guess that sums you up.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Not really. I don't see at all where that shows him as being a hater. All he did was refernce the type of posts that he feel are nonsense. Didn't flame the poster nor hate on the game

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Irony much?

Guess that sums you up.

How so?

I acknowledged his point that GW2 is far from the first game to implement features to encourage a friendly environment.

Why do the "GW2 first" threads bother you so much?

Irony much?

Guess that sums you up.

How so?

I acknowledged his point that GW2 is far from the first game to implement features to encourage a friendly environment.

And why is he a hater?

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I think we'll have to see how it plays out.

Forced grouping games definitely also a forced friendship games.  You HAVE to make friends or you can't do anything.  That's not all good, especially if your friends aren't online.

GW2 has advantages here in that you don't HAVE to make friends to do stuff.  Further, I would wager you can make friends while doing things.  In my experience in other games, it is pretty easy to make friends just by helping them out and talking.  Certainly even in WoW, where there's hardly ever a need to group while questing, you can still make friends by helping someone else make a kill or the like.  All it really requires is striking up a conversation.  I seriously doubt that you won't be able to make a ton of friends, if desired, by striking up conversations with people after playing with them for half an hour or so.  Will this work on everyone?  No, but I think there'd be a decent return rate.

Now, admittedly, the game doesn't force you to maintain friendships you make.  In a sense forced grouping games do, since you have to keep doing things with people over and over again.  On the other hand, you will rarely be in a position where you have to tell a friend they can't join you in questing.  You are not hurt by not having one more person, nor are you hurt (with trivial content and potentailly annoying drop rates) by adding another person.  So if you want to hang out with someone, it is easy to do.  This is further reinforced by how the system levels you down when going into a low level area.  So if one of you outlevels the other, you can still do stuff together.

Not all of this is new, but it has seldom been put together in such a slick package.  Personally, I think I'll greatly prefer the largely stress-free friendships of GW2 over the stress-inducing ones of forced grouping games.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I agree and disagree.  Yes, having an atmosphere where you HAVE to group creates connections with people.  It also excludes a large portion of players that just wont play in that situation.  GW2 allows both groups to enjoy the game.  There are players that will not group but like being in a living world with others, GW2 system does it in a fantastic way.

You seem to just be focusing on loot distrubution and participation when saying GW2 is promoting selfishness.  I'm sure there will be some people who will run right by you if you need to be revived or will not heal you up from a downed state so they can kill the boos quicker.  From my experiences this has been very rare even though most were playing in betas and may have not known about the downed/revive system everyone can use.  It may seem like a small part of the game but it can give a sense of working together.

At the end of the day it will still come down to jerks being selfish.  At least GW2 gives those that want to work together, without having to create a group first, a chance to do so.  I will be running with people I know and having fun doing DEs/dungeons but the environment outside that will be great as well.

Originally posted by Creslin321
    Even though GW2 encourages a very friendly atmosphere in game...it ironically encourages a horribly unfriendly atmosphere on the forums :).

As we can see from certain responses in this thread,they are avoidable though.

Irony much?

Guess that sums you up.

How so?

And why is he a hater?

Answering a question with a question? Nice.

Anywho I didn't proclaim him a "hater of all things GW2" but asked him why he hates (or if you prefer is so bothered or annoyed by) theads, posts, and people who are excited about what they are finding in GW2.

You seem to be in the same camp. Care to answer the question this time?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Judging by this forum: NO.

GW2 only encourages a friendly atmosphere when everyone agrees that GW2 is perfect in every way.

I agree with him even though he's incorrect, I agree!

Edited: OP, I don't think they where the first to do so, but they  are close to actually succeeding in it IMO

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.