Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF New'ish 2D (no sidescrolling)

CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

I have enjoyed Dofus and Wakfu, but I'm looking for something else.  I don't really like the side scrolling games.  I think I tried out Ragnaros and maybe Lunia back in the day.  If there is anything new with a fresh set of graphics that would be nice.  I prefer the cartoony style for my 2D games. 

Thanks

Comments

• rogabrrogabr Member Posts: 125

so you want a 2d game

without the thing that makes it actually 2d

ok.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I take it you want an MMO right?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by rogabr

so you want a 2d game

ok.

2D is not limited to side scrollers.. . it could be a top down perspective or even a 2.5D isometric view and still be considered 2D.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• rogabrrogabr Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

so you want a 2d game

ok.

2D is not limited to side scrollers.. . it could be a top down perspective or even a 2.5D isometric view and still be considered 2D.  

you realize you just said that 2.5d is the same as 2d right?

k good

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

you realize you just said that 2.5d is the same as 2d right?

k good

Isometric views usually use 2D sprites and just changes them according to camera view. So yeah, pretty much the same thing. 

To OP: I don't know of any recent 2D games that are worth playing. The only ones I'd recommend at all are Dofus, Wakfu, UO, and Tibia. 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

If you don't mind PVP, you might wanna try Outspark's new game Darkblood Online  http://darkblood.outspark.com/

Here is the MMOHut review http://mmohuts.com/review/dark-blood-online

It's basically 3D characters on a 2D background.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    I take it you want an MMO right?

Yep, I prefer an mmo, but if you know of any good single player RPGs that would be cool too.  I tried to list the ones I've enjoyed the most in the 2D realm which include Dofus and Wakfu.  I'm not sure what the other guy meant about me wanting 2D but not 2D.  Just because a game is 2D doesn't mean it has to look dated.  Wakfu is new and a great example of something fun and beautiful in the art department.

Basically I'm looking for something akin to Wakfu in art style but is not turn based like Final Fantasy Tactics.  I put the words not side scrolling so people wouldn't immeditaly list Maple Story or Trickster.  For some reason I just can't get into the side scrolling.  I prefer the top down view of Wakfu and Dofus.  Guess I should have stated all of that in the original post.

Thanks for the replies.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Not new, but still one of the best games of all time. New server is launching very soon (currently in beta):

http://linrevival.no-ip.org

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Trickster is 2.5D... not quite 100% sure what your really looking for if your considering that. You did mention Ragnarok Online which is one I'd recomend. Its hard to find a game really that fits what your leaning at all. Unfortunately, a lot of games have moved away from this style so it makes it a bit difficult to really find. Unfortuantely its a kind of dying breed.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Thanks for the lineage info, didn't realize it was getting a revival