Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Originally Bought Shadows of Angmar years ago...

KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224

So I bought Lord of the Rings a long time ago before it went F2P.  It had Shadows of Angmar (basically the title of the base game), Mines of Moria, and Siege of Mirkwood.

My question is:  Why am I unable to access the quests in Angmar without first buying a quest pack?  If the main game's name referenced Angmar, I find it ridiculous that I have to purchase the quests.  I purchased Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood prior to it going F2P, and I can play all *those* quests.

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Back when you bought those boxes, how far into the game were you able to play without a subscription?

Oh yeah... that's right.  You couldn't play at all.

You're basically asking, "I got about half of the game for free, while others that didn't buy the boxes got about 20%.  Why don't I get 100% of the game for free?"

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Back when you bought those boxes, how far into the game were you able to play without a subscription?

You're basically asking, "I got about half of the game for free, while others that didn't buy the boxes got about 20%.  Why don't I get 100% of the game for free?"

Depends.  You got 30 days "free" when you first bought the game.

Additionally, why are all the Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood quests available without purchasing quest packs then? By your logic, I shouldn't have those either.

I'm not referring to ALL the quests in the main game.  I'm just referring to the area of Angmar.  I've previously purchased quest packs for other zones.

But thanks for a response.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

You have to pay for the content in Angmar because your not a subscriber. If you decide to subscribe again you won't need to purchase it.

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by immodium

You have to pay for the content in Angmar because your not a subscriber. If you decide to subscribe again you won't need to purchase it.

Thanks for the response.

But then if I decide to unsubscribe, I would have to purchase it in order to play.. or resubscribe right?

Yeah.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

You buy the game for the content. You pay for the subscription to access that content. There is no excuse for what Turbine did with the owners of that original content. If you bought Moria, you got the content. If you bought Siege of Mirkwood, you got the content. The same logic applies to SoA.

Originally posted by Kamikazego

Depends.  You got 30 days "free" when you first bought the game.  and ya used it, I assume.  It said on the box you would get it.  What you would or wouldn't get should they offer F2P?  It makes no promises.

Additionally, why are all the Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood quests available without purchasing quest packs then? By your logic, I shouldn't have those either.

By standard logic, you shouldn't.  Turbine was in no way obligated to give former/current players anything for the free model.  But Turbine decided that folks that bought the boxes should get something.  SoA people got upgraded to freemium, Xpac buyers got those quests.  Intended as goodwill, or good business?  Likely the latter.  But still, you got more than what you were entitled to; more than those that didn't buy the boxes got.

I'm not referring to ALL the quests in the main game.  I'm just referring to the area of Angmar.  I've previously purchased quest packs for other zones.

I see where you're coming from, then, and yeah, that's a much more reasonable argument than the usual one that pops up.  Still, I don't see anything "ridiculous" about them not including it.  I suspect there would be people complaining and dreaming up conspiracies as to why Turbine would give away (previously)endgame content while leaving the big gap in the middle.  "Jerks are twisting our arm to buy the mid-level stuff!", etc.

But thanks for a response.

You're Lawrence Welkome.  Sorry if I was a bit snarky in that reply.  I blame coffee.  image  Seems like everybody wants everything for free, these days, even when they already got stuff for free. 

Originally posted by Destai

You buy the game for the content. You pay for the subscription to access that content. There is no excuse for what Turbine did with the owners of that original content. If you bought Moria, you got the content. If you bought Siege of Mirkwood, you got the content. The same logic applies to SoA.

Nooo.  You buy the game for the client.  As demonstrated when you tried to play the game then without a sub, and couldn't.  As demonstrated when someday turbine closes the door on this game and you can't play it at all. 

Nooo.  You buy the game for the client.  As demonstrated when you tried to play the game then without a sub, and couldn't.  As demonstrated when someday turbine closes the door on this game and you can't play it at all. 

So what do you pay the sub for?

Originally posted by immodium

Thanks for the response.

But then if I decide to unsubscribe, I would have to purchase it in order to play.. or resubscribe right?

Correctomundaroni and cheese.  However, you'd also get 500 TP a month while you subbed, and so you could probably buy it outright in 2 months; 1 if on sale.

Pre f2p:  access to the game.

Post f2p;  full access to the game.

Right, you pay for access to content you bought. It's a two part transaction. To say that you bought the content for Moria but can't play Angmar is wrong. That's logically inconsistent. Moria was released before the f2p transition and that content was given after the transition. The same with every other content pack. Face it, Turbine shafted the customer on this one. The content installed after your purchase of SoA is the game content. That's what's in the .dat file or whatever. The subscription is a service fee - that's access. Not content. Anyways, this is old hash.

Right, you pay for access to content you bought. It's a two part transaction. To say that you bought the content for Moria but can't play Angmar is wrong. That's logically inconsistent. Moria was released before the f2p transition and that content was given after the transition. The same with every other content pack. Face it, Turbine shafted the customer on this one. The content installed after your purchase of SoA is the game content. That's what's in the .dat file or whatever. The subscription is a service fee - that's access. Not content. Anyways, this is old hash.

Moria & Mirkwood are expansion packs and you pay for the content. If he decides to unsubscribe he will still have Moria & Mirkwood available to him as he paid for the content. With SoA and most p2p games your are not technically buying the content of said game (well, maybe 30 days worth of content).

Logic is irrelevent.  Logically, they didn't have to give anyone anything.  But yes, this is a dead skeleton of a horse.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

So I bought Lord of the Rings a long time ago before it went F2P.  It had Shadows of Angmar (basically the title of the base game), Mines of Moria, and Siege of Mirkwood.

My question is:  Why am I unable to access the quests in Angmar without first buying a quest pack?  If the main game's name referenced Angmar, I find it ridiculous that I have to purchase the quests.  I purchased Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood prior to it going F2P, and I can play all *those* quests.

I started a few months back in the hopes I might find myself wanting to wait for RoR and like you was a sub from the begining. What I found was that even if you subbed up again unless you go VIP which cost a lot more than a monthly fee you'll pay for even those parts of the game you previously thought you paid for.

Welcome to the distruction of Middle Earth and the victory of Sauron.

I'll never go back. The best MMO is now a shallow 711 storefront.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by DarnRight

I started a few months back in the hopes I might find myself wanting to wait for RoR and like you was a sub from the begining. What I found was that even if you subbed up again unless you go VIP which cost a lot more than a monthly fee you'll pay for even those parts of the game you previously thought you paid for.

Welcome to the distruction of Middle Earth and the victory of Sauron.

I'll never go back. The best MMO is now a shallow 711 storefront.

Wait what? VIP Costs the usual monthly mmo fee. And I don't think anyone cares what you thought you paid for. If you are not even able to ascertain what you buy when you buy it that's hardly Turbines fault. Just a heads up, those things should be checked before you buy something instead of be complained about years later.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Actually it's far from full access as he still needs to buy all expansion packs - Moria, Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard - to have it all. Basically as subscriber you are less restricted in what can you do(there are still cash shop only perks though) then free player.

Whole logic about Shadows of Angmar box contains actually no logic at all. Turbine just wanted to get more $ from old players coming back now when it's F2P.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by crazynanny

Actually it's far from full access as he still needs to buy all expansion packs - Moria, Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard - to have it all. Basically as subscriber you are less restricted in what can you do(there are still cash shop only perks though) then free player.

Whole logic about Shadows of Angmar box contains actually no logic at all. Turbine just wanted to get more $ from old players coming back now when it's F2P.

It makes a lot of sense once you get it into your head that your not entitled to free stuff. Besides you had to buy expansions before as well, he'll its the whole difference between a content patch and what we call an expansion in some cases.

SoA was the original release, not some sort of content pack. 50$ quite simply does not cover a lifetime of access to that, nor was it ever implied that it would. It's turbines decision what they give away for free, and what they keep charging money for. If you have a problem with that you are free to not-buy-stuff from someone else. 

Its really that simple. They have a team working on the game, servers etc to pay for. Those 50$ you spent years ago does shit all to help them today. Either they do this business model, or there will be coke and big macs served in the shire. Either way can work, bt I prefer the current.

Originally posted by Rocketeer
    Originally posted by crazynanny

It makes a lot of sense once you get it into your head that your not entitled to free stuff. Besides you had to buy expansions before as well, he'll its the whole difference between a content patch and what we call an expansion in some cases.

Crazy concept, eh?